• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019-20 Quest for the cup(The Carter Hart era begins)

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The wins will come if we play like this but its clear we are better than the bad teams and not going to beat the good teams. AV did say it may take until Christmas to get the system down.
If it takes that long to learn his system, then it's way to complex IMO. Sometimes simpler is better. Besides if it took you more than 6 months to learn your job I would call you stupid or severely learning handicapped.

mall3013

SportsHoopla's #1 Bucknut
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When this team does something besides repeats last year's performances I'll quit getting high.
I'm very surprised Hart had this much of a cluncker, but then we have to realize he's still only 21 years old. That's extremely young for an NHL goaltender playing at his level. He will grow from this and only get better. I have no doubt this team will get it together. One thing I'll point out, the Flyers started the season in Europe which is at least a 5-6 hour time zone difference from philly. And now they are on a West coast trip so here we have a 3 hour time zone diference. These guys have major jet lag going on. I understand they have had some time off,but still that is a ton of frequent flyer miles for only 5-6 games in.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it takes that long to learn his system, then it's way to complex IMO. Sometimes simpler is better. Besides if it took you more than 6 months to learn your job I would call you stupid or severely learning handicapped.
I will agree with this im just hoping it doesn't take that long to learn the system

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm very surprised Hart had this much of a cluncker, but then we have to realize he's still only 21 years old. That's extremely young for an NHL goaltender playing at his level. He will grow from this and only get better. I have no doubt this team will get it together. One thing I'll point out, the Flyers started the season in Europe which is at least a 5-6 hour time zone difference from philly. And now they are on a West coast trip so here we have a 3 hour time zone diference. These guys have major jet lag going on. I understand they have had some time off,but still that is a ton of frequent flyer miles for only 5-6 games in.
I dont understand why AV didn't play Hart in Calgary and Elliott last night. I thought that interrupted the momentum Hart had going on.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys realize that when you make this excuse, you're talking about very in shape individuals, if traveling from place to place drags you down that badly then you need to refresh your work out plan. Sorry I'm not buying the we traveled to much excuse. We looked fine against the Debbie's.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These stats you posted that says JVR is closer to breaking out than Jake please print them out and put them directly into the shredder.

Lol. I have no rebuttal.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
An optimist can sit here and make an excuse for the Flyers – after all, it was their fourth game in four different time zones and all, and the travel has been brutal.

But lets be real for a second. They had two days off between games. They didn’t skate Tuesday morning. The flight from Vancouver to Calgary is a brief one. Using travel as an excuse for bad play in this instance isn’t acceptable.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
EHFOvBXXUAA8ab3.png:large

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So, highest Expected Goals For per 60. And 2nd lowest Expected Goals Against per 60. (at 5 on 5)

That's a recipe for a lot of wins. Even if it hasn't translated that way so far.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
An optimist can sit here and make an excuse for the Flyers – after all, it was their fourth game in four different time zones and all, and the travel has been brutal.

But lets be real for a second. They had two days off between games. They didn’t skate Tuesday morning. The flight from Vancouver to Calgary is a brief one. Using travel as an excuse for bad play in this instance isn’t acceptable.

My thing with the travel is, it's not just fans that are pointing to that. Or Flyers brass. It's national broadcasters, former players, etc. And it's not like this is some new concept. For years and years those same people talk about how difficult playing back to back nights is or how long travel can impact on-ice play. And the results bare it out. Look at how the teams that started in Europe have fared since they started doing that. Look at records across the NHL in back-to-back situations.

Should they have played better? Absolutely, particularly in Calgary. But to just dismiss these effects with a "they're pros they should be fine", goes against everything people with actual experience doing this say and the results every NHL team experiences. Because while they are pros, so are the teams they're playing against. It's all relative. If a couple players are a half step slow because they're a little sore from the night before, that could be the difference in winning 3-1 and losing 6-3 in the NHL.

I've done the international travel stuff, and to be honest, I don't think the next day is all that bad. I'm a little tired, but it doesn't kill me. But I'm also not trying to keep up with Connor McDavid who is the best player and fastest skater in hockey.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For example, this betting site that has nothing to do with the Flyers, indicates there's about a 5% drop in win probability for team's playing on back to back nights across the NHL. Their study goes from 2012-13 through at least 2016-17.

NHL Betting Tips: The Impact Playing Back To Backs Should Have On The Odds

And this one here, from 2014 so a little outdated, but it gives a list of the win percentages based on rest advantage/disadvantage, particularly for the road team. Across the NHL between 2007-2014, a team with 1 day rest advantage and home-ice won 58.9% of the time.

Yost: Rest makes a major difference in NHL performance - TSN.ca

Surely if there's a correlation to the home team with an extra day of rest advantage, that advantage would be increased based on distance traveled. I don't think that's an unfair extrapolation. Adding travel and time changes certainly will have an impact.

So again, I'm not saying it excuses the losses. They should still be competitive, they're still an NHL team of professionals, and they should be able to win some of those games. But it absolutely has an impact and it's not a Flyers-centric impact, or a leadership impact. It's just how the human body reacts to rest and travel.