• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019-20 Quest for the cup(The Carter Hart era begins)

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My thing with Stewart, is what's the point? Sure, might bring some grit, some size, some energy. Pitlick already brings that though? And he's already signed and taking up cap space. Raffl brings more than both of them, he's significantly better than them offensively and defensively. Laughton is a clear upgrade in all facets. (Looking at the ideal 4th line group)

And if you have an injury in the top 9, Stewart isn't coming out of the press box to fill that void. Twarynski is already filling that void with Patrick out. And they have plenty of better options to fill in down in LV, particularly in the top 9. Farabee, Frost, Vorobyov, Aube-Kubel. Any of those guys.

So then you're looking at Stewart as insurance in case a 4th liner gets hurt. Aube-Kubel can fill that role. Or Andreoff, or Gabriel. So I don't really see what adding Stewart does for you.

Even if he spends the season in the pressbox and doesn't hurt you on the ice because he can't keep up, even in an injury situation the Flyers already have guys that can fill those roles. You're just wasting cap space if you sign Stewart. I'm fine keeping him on PTO all season. Let him practice and be around the guys to bring that 'veteran, good guy' presence if you think it's needed still (i'd argue it's not). Don't waste cap space on him though.

Blech. Looks like they signed him. 1 yr, 750k.

Pissing money down the drain IMO. But as long as he plays sporadically and when he's in the lineup he's not getting 15 minutes a game, I'm not going to lose my shit over it.

The Flyers are expected to sign Chris Stewart to a one-way contract

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My thing with Stewart, is what's the point? Sure, might bring some grit, some size, some energy. Pitlick already brings that though? And he's already signed and taking up cap space. Raffl brings more than both of them, he's significantly better than them offensively and defensively. Laughton is a clear upgrade in all facets. (Looking at the ideal 4th line group)

And if you have an injury in the top 9, Stewart isn't coming out of the press box to fill that void. Twarynski is already filling that void with Patrick out. And they have plenty of better options to fill in down in LV, particularly in the top 9. Farabee, Frost, Vorobyov, Aube-Kubel. Any of those guys.

So then you're looking at Stewart as insurance in case a 4th liner gets hurt. Aube-Kubel can fill that role. Or Andreoff, or Gabriel. So I don't really see what adding Stewart does for you.

Even if he spends the season in the pressbox and doesn't hurt you on the ice because he can't keep up, even in an injury situation the Flyers already have guys that can fill those roles. You're just wasting cap space if you sign Stewart. I'm fine keeping him on PTO all season. Let him practice and be around the guys to bring that 'veteran, good guy' presence if you think it's needed still (i'd argue it's not). Don't waste cap space on him though.
I will agree 100% :agree:

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He goes to 3C, Laughton to 4C, Bunnaman to the press box (or Phantoms).

At least, that's what I would do based on play so far. You have to figure Bunnaman and Twarynski are the 'bubble' guys and Twarysnki has clearly outplayed Bunnaman.
Ill agree Bunnaman goes that is the smart move. I love me some Twarinski.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Blech. Looks like they signed him. 1 yr, 750k.

Pissing money down the drain IMO. But as long as he plays sporadically and when he's in the lineup he's not getting 15 minutes a game, I'm not going to lose my shit over it.

The Flyers are expected to sign Chris Stewart to a one-way contract
No way is he going to get 15 mins a game even if he does crack the line up. This has happened in NY when Vineault was here. He loved Tanner Glass over better younger players and eventually that lead to locker room problems.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree with all of this, my only thought is, what do we put out on the ice to deal with cheap shots like Lucic? Hayes?

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with all of this, my only thought is, what do we put out on the ice to deal with cheap shots like Lucic? Hayes?

I mean, scoring on the resulting PP is the best way to deal with it. Goals win games.

As I've said on here before, that mentality is very outdated IMO. Teams just don't use big, hulking, fighter/cheap shot artists any more. There's a handful of guys that you might have to concern yourselves with in that vein. Tom Wilson. Dustin Byfuligien (if he suits up again). Milan Lucic. James Neal maybe.

Maybe there's a couple more in there. But for the most part, after that list i'd just be thankful the opponent is wasting a roster spot on a guy like that and try to exploit them and score some goals with them on the ice.

If you're really concerned about it, dress Morin for that game. He needs to play games to get better at actual hockey anyway, might as well schedule those nights in for a team that has one of those guys.

purdue81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Going with Giroux

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ghost on the PP

chy1127

Peace & Love, Peace & Luv
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stewart on the 4th line tonight. I will go with TK.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First off "Braun mightve been the best defenseman on the ice tonight" is possibly the funniest thing ive ever heard from a coach who was watching the game. He was directly responsible for BOTH of their goals.

Second i know ive posted this to you before so i dont know why you are trying to bring it up again but i like Nisky and he is way better than AMac.

Thirdly i repeat to you. Braun doesnt do anything that Gudas didn't do for us last year and was our "Best defenseman for an entire season" except Braun cost us two draft picks.
Remember gudas was traded for Niskanen not AMac. I like gudas but Niskanen is simply better all round. Even if you want to say it's close Braun is a million times better than AMac. The debate that they should have stayed put makes no sense and Vigneault admitted one of the reasons why he even came was because of those exact moves.

Very sloppy game tonight but again they were in it. Last year that would have been 5-1 or something worse. G, Jake, Ghost, JVR, Hayes all struggling for solar reason and they're still in games...good sign.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did anyone see Jake or the big Puss tonight? Maybe one day we'll learn to dump the puck in and go get it. We again make a so so goalie look spectacular.:L

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also to put things in proper perspective, we've beaten 2 struggling teams and lost to 2 younger faster teams. Not a good sign IMO!

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also to put things in proper perspective, we've beaten 2 struggling teams and lost to 2 younger faster teams. Not a good sign IMO!

Calgary is smaller and lighter, so I hope they're faster. Younger? True (for last night, at least), but I bet when we start Hart and Patrick in place of Elliott and Stewart, you'll find that we're just as young, if not younger. Our overall roster is younger.

It was a pathetic team effort last night, so I'm just going to forget about it and move on. If it happens again tonight, then we have a trend and subsequent issues.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Calgary is smaller and lighter, so I hope they're faster. Younger? True (for last night, at least), but I bet when we start Hart and Patrick in place of Elliott and Stewart, you'll find that we're just as young, if not younger. Our overall roster is younger.

It was a pathetic team effort last night, so I'm just going to forget about it and move on. If it happens again tonight, then we have a trend and subsequent issues.

Bingo. Outside of Elliot, they sucked last night. Pretty much top to bottom.