• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2018-2019 NBA Regular Season Thread

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't speak for others, as I don't dismiss it. But seems to me in comparing the top teams, the records against each other would mean more than anything. Not end all be all as you are right.....doesn't matter what happens in reg. season.

Agree to a point that comparing the top teams means more. After all, they are the biggest threat to each other in the playoffs. But you can't automatically discount the rest of the teams in the conference.

If the Western Conference has better teams overall, then there is also more opportunity for top teams in the East to be upset by lesser teams if they are playing a Western Conference or even balanced schedule.

If there are additional losses, that can effect seeding.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lakers road games would concern me as a lakers fan. Coming off losses to Atlanta and New Orleans (without AD) on the road. None of those road games are easy except Phoenix and Knicks.

Hell, with what the Lakers have been doing, if they beat a good team in the game before playing the Suns or Knicks, those games aren't likely to be very easy either. :L

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Experience is experience. It doesn't go away over time. I doubt he's forgotten what it takes to be chasing a playoff spot.

He's also been part of a couple of playoff pushes where seeding was important.

It's not just about getting to the playoffs healthy (although I agree that was the main focus) but it's also important to be playing well entering the playoffs.

As Lebron said himself, he's engaging earlier than he's used to the past few years.

So, there has always been a "ramp up" or playoff push, but the purpose and likely intensity of it has changed.
I don't disagree with most of this, but not sure we can put much into what he says. guy says he wants smart players and they sign Lance and McGee? They don't find shooters so they say they should try something different?

Of course he is saying they are engaged sooner, as clearly they didn't care the last 4 seasons about the reg. season.don't recall in Miami as I didn't pay attention to that.

I am certain if they miss the playoffs they'll say it was for the best as they never intended to compete until next season.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am certain if they miss the playoffs they'll say it was for the best as they never intended to compete until next season.

Yes and no.

I think they want to make the playoffs this year because it would be good for the kids to have that experience and also to (hopefully) show that they can play well in the playoffs to try and attract another top FA.

But yeah, I think there will some spin if they don't make it. They'll talk about injuries, inexperience and say that with all of the miles on his body...missing the playoffs in a season when they weren't competing for a title anyway, isn't the worst thing for Lebron.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes and no.

I think they want to make the playoffs this year because it would be good for the kids to have that experience and also to (hopefully) show that they can play well in the playoffs to try and attract another top FA.

But yeah, I think there will some spin if they don't make it. They'll talk about injuries, inexperience and say that with all of the miles on his body...missing the playoffs in a season when they weren't competing for a title anyway, isn't the worst thing for Lebron.
I have no doubt they want to make it, but will come up with spin. And seems the fanboys in the media will eat it up if Magic (or Lebron) say it.

Many write LOL but aren't really laughing. I actually did LOL when I heard they signed Lance and McGee shortly after Lebron said he wanted smart players. Then again when they said they wanted to try something different than Cleveland and limit Lebron's workload knowing the Cavs also wanted to, but Lebron wasn't having it and he does what he wants (and, for the most part, it works).

All this said, while I do get some satisfaction in their struggles and don't miss the drama (nor the angst we'd deal with if the team struggled here like they are now with him) I still would not bet against him in the playoffs against any team other than GS if they make it.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As for Josh Hart, he had a PRP injection before the break so it's safe to assume he's playing through injury. He had flashes of his normal self in that Houston game. With Lonzo out and Hart playing hurt the defense has really taken a hit. No idea why they had Kuzma guard Randle most of the game though. Wagner did a good job on him in limited minutes and LeBron obviously won't get bullied by Randle.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't disagree with most of this, but not sure we can put much into what he says. guy says he wants smart players and they sign Lance and McGee? They don't find shooters so they say they should try something different?

Of course he is saying they are engaged sooner, as clearly they didn't care the last 4 seasons about the reg. season.don't recall in Miami as I didn't pay attention to that.

I guess I just don't buy the narrative that all those FA signings were LeBron's choice.

And if they were, damn. Don't ever let LeBron be a GM.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I just don't buy the narrative that all those FA signings were LeBron's choice.

And if they were, damn. Don't ever let LeBron be a GM.
You don't even think he was asked about them? Not sure what that says of Magic/Pelinka if they thought they were the best options.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't even think he was asked about them? Not sure what that says of Magic/Pelinka if they thought they were the best options.

It wasn't a matter of best options, it was a matter of only options. There weren't a lot of shooters available and the Lakers were looking for guys who were willing to take 1 year deals to play for a team that wasn't going to the finals.

The list of good players who are willing to take 1 year deals to play for a team that has a chance at the finals is a short one.

The list of good players who are willing to sign a 1 year deal with a team that doesn't have a chance at a title is even shorter.

For the most part, the 1 year guys have worked out just fine when the Lakers were healthy and they didn't have to rely on them too much.

The problem has been that when the Lakers were shorthanded with the injuries, some of them started showing why they were willing to take 1 year deals on a team with no chance at a title.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't know how much he was involved. I would think he was probably asked about guys, but that isn't a sure thing in a new situation.

LeBron is signed for the next 3, and I don't think his next contract will be the same seismic event. Appeasing LeBron in the short term isn't as important as it was for Cleveland.

Also, like @trojanfan12 said, after they whiffed on a 2nd big fish, cap space was always more important than winning this season. Because that wasn't happening anyway. Their signings this past summer were always more forward looking.

Of course, I would have rather seen them add some culture building veterans rather than get guys like Lance, Rondo and McGee.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like the Lakers may miss the playoffs. Got to think if they do the Lakers will be a busy team this summer.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like the Lakers may miss the playoffs. Got to think if they do the Lakers will be a busy team this summer.

Do you think they won't be busy if they do make the playoffs?

DJ Fieri

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 30,055.69
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It wasn't a matter of best options, it was a matter of only options. There weren't a lot of shooters available and the Lakers were looking for guys who were willing to take 1 year deals to play for a team that wasn't going to the finals.

The list of good players who are willing to take 1 year deals to play for a team that has a chance at the finals is a short one.

The list of good players who are willing to sign a 1 year deal with a team that doesn't have a chance at a title is even shorter.

For the most part, the 1 year guys have worked out just fine when the Lakers were healthy and they didn't have to rely on them too much.

The problem has been that when the Lakers were shorthanded with the injuries, some of them started showing why they were willing to take 1 year deals on a team with no chance at a title.

Most people understand it.

Some don't or choose to beat their head against the wall.

lebron23james

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LeBron is signed for the next 3, and I don't think his next contract will be the same seismic event. Appeasing LeBron in the short term isn't as important as it was for Cleveland.

Maybe contract wise, but it was very important age wise...Actually much more important than in Cle...