• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017 Texas Rangers offseason thread

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Relevant marketplace characteristics
The Rangers play in the fifth-largest media market in the country, and the club has averaged more than 30,000 fans per game the past eight seasons.

That’s a lot of potential eyeballs on Ohtani.

There are also a number of Japanese companies with U.S. bases in the DFW area, and some have relationships with the Rangers. That leaves open the possibility of endorsement deals for Ohtani, who might want to make up for some of the income he’s leaving on the table by coming to MLB now rather than in two years. 

Do other teams have the edge on each box on the checklist? Sure, but the Rangers will stack up well when Ohtani considers the checklist in its entirety.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love that the Mariners have said they would let him hit, and doing so they would put Cruz back in the OF.

If I were Texas and that was really put out there I'd show them the dreaded WS game and say "he was shit in the OF 6 years ago, do you want a team relying on him for defense now?"

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love that the Mariners have said they would let him hit, and doing so they would put Cruz back in the OF.

If I were Texas and that was really put out there I'd show them the dreaded WS game and say "he was shit in the OF 6 years ago, do you want a team relying on him for defense now?"
well we maybe could unload Choo +30M to some AL team and let Ohtani DH 3 times a week when he isn't pitching

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the bench is getting "legit playing time," that usually means several things have gone wrong.
It could mean that or if we do have a good bench it might mean some timely pinch hitting and less stress without too much regression during the heat. Could also apply to pitching probably more so.

Wash underutilized his bench and we had no good defensive replacements last year. Rogue got a free pass.

Playing your bench is obviously bad if your bench is sorry. With all the LHBs a good platoon was really not utilized to full extent. Just an opinion

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It could mean that or if we do have a good bench it might mean some timely pinch hitting and less stress without too much regression during the heat. Could also apply to pitching probably more so.

Wash underutilized his bench and we had no good defensive replacements last year. Rogue got a free pass.

Playing your bench is obviously bad if your bench is sorry. With all the LHBs a good platoon was really not utilized to full extent. Just an opinion
when you use your bench it normally indicates poor performance by your starters or injuries to your starters. example: Beltre. he had to fight his way thru injuries that curtailed his season to around 90 games which forced us to use Gallo and others at 3rd. and then there was Napoli who couldn't do much of anything which resulted in Gallo playing a lot at 1st. Gomez struggled with injuries which resulted in the Rangers having to having to use DeShields who was suppose to be the 4th outfield. each of these weaken our bench

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
when you use your bench it normally indicates poor performance by your starters or injuries to your starters. example: Beltre. he had to fight his way thru injuries that curtailed his season to around 90 games which forced us to use Gallo and others at 3rd. and then there was Napoli who couldn't do much of anything which resulted in Gallo playing a lot at 1st. Gomez struggled with injuries which resulted in the Rangers having to having to use DeShields who was suppose to be the 4th outfield. each of these weaken our bench
A good bench does a little more than that. Pinch runners and pinch hitters play a big part as well. Also used to rest guys and play in double hitters.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
HaHa. Let's get set in the rotation, the bullpen and up the middle positionally and then we can worry about the bench. I do want a good bench, but I think that usually comes after you get the other things sorted out. Then we can find a couple of modern day Catalanottos.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
as far as the postseason goes, yes.
wait a minute before Thanksgiving everyone was posting that the Rangers should put together a good enough team to chase a WC. are we now saying that we shouldn't try? maybe we should just unload everyone we can (Hamels, Odor, Choo, Beltre and maybe Andrus) and reload with our young guys and just go thru the motions the next season or 2.

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
HaHa. Let's get set in the rotation, the bullpen and up the middle positionally and then we can worry about the bench.

This is where I am at with it as well. The bench is literally the last thing to worry about when constructing a roster.

wait a minute before Thanksgiving everyone was posting that the Rangers should put together a good enough team to chase a WC.

Speaking for myself, what I was saying is that the likely best-case scenario for the Rangers in 2018 is to chase a WC spot, and that's after making several moves. Now, if they sign 8 free agents and land Ohtani, then that's a different story.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is where I am at with it as well. The bench is literally the last thing to worry about when constructing a roster.

Speaking for myself, what I was saying is that the likely best-case scenario for the Rangers in 2018 is to chase a WC spot, and that's after making several moves. Now, if they sign 8 free agents and land Ohtani, then that's a different story.
well i'm not talking 8 FA's and Ohtani but if we landed Ohtani, sign a quality starter, carry out a couple of trades and sign a couple of positional players to fill needs, we could be put a reasonably good team on the field.

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well i'm not talking 8 FA's and Ohtani but if we landed Ohtani, sign a quality starter, carry out a couple of trades and sign a couple of positional players to fill needs, we could be put a reasonably good team on the field.

I agree. That is the best case scenario, and that team should be able to be in the mix for a WC spot.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
good question
how about Choo + 30M to the Yankees for a couple of prospects?
how about Profar to San Diego or Cincinnati for a couple of prospects?
how about Odor, DeShields and a package of Martinez, Blackburn, Gardewire and prospects to Miami for Yelich and Gordon?
of course these are totally off the wall suggestions and are just spitballing worth nothing

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
how about Choo + 30M to the Yankees for a couple of prospects?
how about Profar to San Diego or Cincinnati for a couple of prospects?
how about Odor, DeShields and a package of Martinez, Blackburn, Gardewire and prospects to Miami for Yelich and Gordon?
of course these are totally off the wall suggestions and are just spitballing worth nothing
Miami would roll on the floor laughing at that proposal. I think you believing that very good MLB players are that easy to trade for is what makes you not realize why 2018 will not be our year to shine. I don't think we even have the prospects that it would take for Yelich. I can appreciate your optimism, but I think you are going to be disappointed.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Miami would roll on the floor laughing at that proposal. I think you believing that very good MLB players are that easy to trade for is what makes you not realize why 2018 will not be our year to shine. I don't think we even have the prospects that it would take for Yelich. I can appreciate your optimism, but I think you are going to be disappointed.
Of course they would probably laugh at it but they are desperate to get payroll below 90M and they would look at the payroll dump of around 11 to 12M the fact the Odor is much cheaper than Gordon over the next years, DeShields is a much cheaper Offer than Yelich is going to be and the pitching and positional players that the rest gives them. If they can't unload Stanton they will be looking at plan B which is at least 2 of Yelich, Ozuna and Gordon