• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017 Ford Ranger and Bronco

Groo

Did you err ?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well
There they go again.
Turning it into something it isn't.
That's why they eliminated it the first time.
Competition for Chevy's ZR2 Colorado.

Groo

Did you err ?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've never understood the need for that either.
There are those that do and those who don't.
Some people can't understand the need for performance cars either.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chewing up the back woods is great fun I guess.

It is a good form of crop thinning when things go bad though.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well
Ford had some reasons they stated as reasons to discontinue the Ranger, some which were valid and some were just bullshit.

1. That the Ranger price points just got too high and sales suffered and that they got really close in price to an F150. Well that is true but what they didn't say is that Dealers were ordering them"optioned up" so they could make some profit. Dealers just didn't want to sell the basic Ranger because there was little money in it. They wanted to move their customers up to pricey Rangers, or to the F150's.
  2. The Ford Ranger literally lasted forever. This is good and bad for obvious reasons.
  3. Every Fleet had the basic Ranger's. O'Reilly's, Pep Boys, anybody who delivered anything had these pickups, and Ford just abandoned this market. Now those fleets are filled up with basic Nissan Frontiers, etc. Ford gave up that market when they sold millions of those little trucks. Dumb move.
  4. Ford didn't want to cut into their F150 sales or endanger they're "#1 selling vehicle for 40 years straight" marketing, which the Ranger was getting dangerously close to doing to the F150.
Ford also didn't want to spend the money for a new platform

Last edited:

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never understood the need for a hot rod truck.

Hot rod trucks are more fun than trucks, in the same way that hot rod cars are more fun than their Plain Jane base models.

You drive a supercharged Mercedes that accelerates harder, tops out higher, corners tighter, stops shorter, and is equipped with many aerodynamic/aesthetic body mods to aid in all areas of increased performance.

No different for truck for off roading. A suspension with more articulation and compliance to handle off road obstacles (rocks, logs, ravines & ditches) and terrains (asphalt, dirt, sand, loose rock) as well as provide control while dealing with a higher center of gravity. Tires that must balance different friction coefficients as well as weather conditions and provide extra clearance. Power to propel said truck through or over the obstacles, ability to brake in precarious situations while providing ability to maneuver.

While you might prefer the high speed adrenaline rush you do so because you walk away with the feeling of mastering a barely containable beast at the edge of control.

Speeds may be lower, but the feeling is the same in an off road adventure. Instead of coming around a blind off camber corner while looking through the side window while feathering the throttle and just a bit of counter-steer at xxx mph you may be coming over a blind crest at x mph with a 100 ft 45% grade that's a combination rutted hard pack and loose gravel.

Both can be nail biters and leave the driver huge sense of accomplishment.

I truly enjoy both.

And there's no radar guns in the woods.
And you and your buddies can stop anywhere, anytime to twist one up.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well
Ford had some reasons they stated as reasons to discontinue the Ranger, some which were valid and some were just bullshit.

1. That the Ranger price points just got too high and sales suffered and that they got really close in price to an F150. Well that is true but what they didn't say is that Dealers were ordering them"optioned up" so they could make some profit. Dealers just didn't want to sell the basic Ranger because there was little money in it. They wanted to move their customers up to pricey Rangers, or to the F150's.
  2. The Ford Ranger literally lasted forever. This is good and bad for obvious reasons.
  3. Every Fleet had the basic Ranger's. O'Reilly's, Pep Boys, anybody who delivered anything had these pickups, and Ford just abandoned this market. Now those fleets are filled up with basic Nissan Frontiers, etc. Ford gave up that market when they sold millions of those little trucks. Dumb move.
  4. Ford didn't want to cut into their F150 sales or endanger they're "#1 selling vehicle for 40 years straight" marketing, which the Ranger was getting dangerously close to doing to the F150.
Ford also didn't want to spend the money for a new platform

Ford made a bundle on them while they did though, same basic platform for 30 years (+/-).

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hot rod trucks are more fun than trucks, in the same way that hot rod cars are more fun than their Plain Jane base models.

You drive a supercharged Mercedes that accelerates harder, tops out higher, corners tighter, stops shorter, and is equipped with many aerodynamic/aesthetic body mods to aid in all areas of increased performance.

No different for truck for off roading. A suspension with more articulation and compliance to handle off road obstacles (rocks, logs, ravines & ditches) and terrains (asphalt, dirt, sand, loose rock) as well as provide control while dealing with a higher center of gravity. Tires that must balance different friction coefficients as well as weather conditions and provide extra clearance. Power to propel said truck through or over the obstacles, ability to brake in precarious situations while providing ability to maneuver.

While you might prefer the high speed adrenaline rush you do so because you walk away with the feeling of mastering a barely containable beast at the edge of control.

Speeds may be lower, but the feeling is the same in an off road adventure. Instead of coming around a blind off camber corner while looking through the side window while feathering the throttle and just a bit of counter-steer at xxx mph you may be coming over a blind crest at x mph with a 100 ft 45% grade that's a combination rutted hard pack and loose gravel.

Both can be nail biters and leave the driver huge sense of accomplishment.

I truly enjoy both.

And there's no radar guns in the woods.
And you and your buddies can stop anywhere, anytime to twist one up.

Yet I rarely zoom about in the S55. Certainly not in a devil may care fashion. I'm much more racy in my S4.

But I see too many vehicles on our logging roads. ATVs, you on your dirt bike (?), logging trucks, crummies, bears, deer, etc. Plus the dust making visibility poor.

Like I said, crop thinning.

And I guess I simply don't get trucks. For anything other than a working vehicle.

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks ok.

2019 Ford Ranger Specs | 2018 Ford Ranger

2019-Ford-Ranger-Engine-Options-Release-Date.jpg

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's the worst written thing I have ever read.
It's not even comprehensible.

I like the way it looks.
Yeah, I don't know what the deal was with that text...like it was the bulletpoints before going to the writer.

Anyhoo, that would look good with decent tires.

BTHOtu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Been looking at trucks. Love my car but can't pick up shit from the lumber yard. Have a hard time getting golf clubs into the trunk. Wife bitches about the seats. Neighbors bitch about the noise. No time or interest in going to the track. Had it 8 months and haven't even done a base line dyno pull or modded anything except the exhaust. Maybe I'm just not into cars anymore. Maybe I just need to get rid of it and find an old beater to work on.