• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017 AL CENTRAL DISCUSSION

Iffster

Dude
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I remember you saying that. If she grew up in E. Akron did she go to East HS over by Goodyear Middle School? Although I'm not really sure if either school is still around. Also I heard that Garfield is closing (along w/ Kenmore) & the 2 schools will be combined & the new school will be where old Garfield is/was.

She moved to AZ when she was seven. Her older brother went to Garfield. She went to Hill(?) Elementary.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My wife & I have been talking about taking a trip back to Akron around Labor Day. Haven't been back home in more than 11 years. If that happens no doubt I'll be stopping out @ Marshallville for some grilling grub.

They razed The West Point Market. Somesabitches.

There aren't a lot of places in Akron that can be considered world class and distinctly Akron, and that was one of them. I was profoundly bummed to see it go. But at least now we'll get a Whole Foods in its place. Maybe.

Fuckers.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
She moved to AZ when she was seven. Her older brother went to Garfield. She went to Hill(?) Elementary.

I wasn't sure so I thought I'd ask. I also went to Garfield. And the elementary school you're thinking of is probably the David Hill. I went there as well.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They razed The West Point Market. Somesabitches.

There aren't a lot of places in Akron that can be considered world class and distinctly Akron, and that was one of them. I was profoundly bummed to see it go. But at least now we'll get a Whole Foods in its place. Maybe.

Fuckers.

West Point Market, I remember that place being very expensive. They had/have some good items though.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
West Point Market, I remember that place being very expensive. They had/have some good items though.

It was a pricey market, but they carried things you just can't find anywhere else.

If you were going to get steaks, I didn't feel their quality justified the price (except for flank and brisket - which are cheap cuts anyway). But some of their seafood was great and I could get a lot of specialty stuff.

Mostly, it was an Akron landmark. Had been there forever and I know foodies around the region (if not the country) who were aware of West Point Market. Call me crazy, but I was proud of it. Now we've got a Whole Foods, just like every other fuckball small town in the US.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was a pricey market, but they carried things you just can't find anywhere else.

If you were going to get steaks, I didn't feel their quality justified the price (except for flank and brisket - which are cheap cuts anyway). But some of their seafood was great and I could get a lot of specialty stuff.

Mostly, it was an Akron landmark. Had been there forever and I know foodies around the region (if not the country) who were aware of West Point Market. Call me crazy, but I was proud of it. Now we've got a Whole Foods, just like every other fuckball small town in the US.

Never been much of a fan of those really big stores. I've never shopped @ Whole Foods, Sam's Club or Costco.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Their competition was increasing in the gourmet market. The Mustard Seed expanded from Montrose and opened a nice store in Highland Square, Earth Fare opened in Montrose, even Giant Eagle and Acme have dipped their toes into gourmet offerings and I wouldn't be surprised if Whole Foods went to West Point and said, "look, we're coming - you can either sell your space to us, or add us to your list of competitors."

So, I understand the family's decision to sell out and I don't begrudge them for it, but it's no less disappointing that it's gone.

It's like Luigi's Pizza, or Sky Way (or Swenson's) drive in. Just so uniquely Akron.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey, @Voltaire26 - I know you frown on CFB discussions on this thread, so I was wondering what is your opinion of our discussion of the gourmet grocery markets in Akron, Ohio?

45ff001c83346d45596e4dc9fa66ac77.gif

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Their competition was increasing in the gourmet market. The Mustard Seed expanded from Montrose and opened a nice store in Highland Square, Earth Fare opened in Montrose, even Giant Eagle and Acme have dipped their toes into gourmet offerings and I wouldn't be surprised if Whole Foods went to West Point and said, "look, we're coming - you can either sell your space to us, or add us to your list of competitors."

So, I understand the family's decision to sell out and I don't begrudge them for it, but it's no less disappointing that it's gone.

It's like Luigi's Pizza, or Sky Way (or Swenson's) drive in. Just so uniquely Akron.

Damn you just reminded me of some great times back in the day mentioning Luigi's, Sky Way & Swenson's. Now I wanna pizza from Italo's on Brown Street in Akron. I heard they've done a nice job fixing Highland Square up though.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn you just reminded me of some great times back in the day mentioning Luigi's, Sky Way & Swenson's. Now I wanna pizza from Italo's on Brown Street in Akron. I heard they've done a nice job fixing Highland Square up though.

Luigi's, Sky Way & Swenson's are great, Akron staples.

I used to bartend on Main St in downtown when it was a really happening area and Luigi's was opened late for the after-bar set. I could tell you stories about Luigi's that would have you rolling (that whole time, really).

Highland Square is a lot nicer than it used to be. You'll be surprised.

Voltaire26

Detroit Born and Raised
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey, @Voltaire26 - I know you frown on CFB discussions on this thread, so I was wondering what is your opinion of our discussion of the gourmet grocery markets in Akron, Ohio?

45ff001c83346d45596e4dc9fa66ac77.gif

There is currently not a thread for supermarkets ... so, I'm good ... as far as gourmet supermarkets (in the Detroit Area) Kroger is kicking everyone's ass (yes, I know they are an Ohio company).

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Luigi's, Sky Way & Swenson's are great, Akron staples.

I used to bartend on Main St in downtown when it was a really happening area and Luigi's was opened late for the after-bar set. I could tell you stories about Luigi's that would have you rolling (that whole time, really).

Highland Square is a lot nicer than it used to be. You'll be surprised.

Great call on Luigi's, Sky Way & Swenson's. Is the Tangier on Market still around? There's actually a lot I miss about back home. Oh yeah...what about the Diamond Grill?

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is currently not a thread for supermarkets ... so, I'm good ... as far as gourmet supermarkets (in the Detroit Area) Kroger is kicking everyone's ass (yes, I know they are an Ohio company).

Kroger recently passed a law that no wolvereeeen fans are ever allowed to shop there anymore. The Kroger stores throughout the state of Michigan will all be leaving by the end of April.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great call on Luigi's, Sky Way & Swenson's. Is the Tangier on Market still around? There's actually a lot I miss about back home. Oh yeah...what about the Diamond Grill?

Tangiers is still there. The Diamond Grill is a damned institution - only way that place will ever close is if the owners decide to close it. I did hear something about a possible sale a year or two ago, but I'm not sure if there was any truth to it.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey homey. I've been out for a little bit recently, actually. I imagine once the draft is over, I'll be spending some time on the baseball boards. How's it hangin?

Alright. Been busy as hell. Mrs Redfoot had our third kid in November, so we've had to go into zone coverage. Slink Jr's (7yo) has started up baseball and soccer and I volunteered to be the head coach for the baseball team. The middle one, Slinkette, is into gymnastics and dance. Between all that shit and my job, it's insane.

Still been cooking, though. I got a sous vide deal for Christmas. Just made some awesome leg of lamb with it for Easter. I'll see if I can't get a pic of it up in the cooking forum.

How've you been?