• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016 NFL Draft

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Way-too-early 49ers 2016 Mock Draft Tracker

yeah, you DID read 2016.

WR will undoubtedly be talked about the most....again, but if his drafts are "forward looking", an LT is a good idea. Obviously, we're hoping Brandon Thomas might be able to take over, but at this point that's way too optimistic.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Way-too-early 49ers 2016 Mock Draft Tracker

yeah, you DID read 2016.

WR will undoubtedly be talked about the most....again, but if his drafts are "forward looking", an LT is a good idea. Obviously, we're hoping Brandon Thomas might be able to take over, but at this point that's way too optimistic.

I expect we will have a better idea of what we have from the past couple of drafts by the end of next season to evaluate. I guess what happens in 2016, depends on how players from the past couple of drafts pan out.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I expect we will have a better idea of what we have from the past couple of drafts by the end of next season to evaluate. I guess what happens in 2016, depends on how players from the past couple of drafts pan out.

your first sentence is certainly true.

your second sentence is only 'somewhat' true. the reason is Baalke doesn't draft by need, so even if there is a need after this coming season, he'll still draft BPA. if it is close value between two prospects, only then he'll pick Need.

so that article is about what we fans will grind over - we can only go by Need. But when the 2016 draft actually proceeds, Baalke will draft way over to the BPA extreme. i'm fine with that thinking, but not fine if he's projects way too much. it looks like he projected quite a bit on Armstead and Tartt? i'm sure these guys got athletic ability and big potential, but don't like him getting carried away on potential. Your highest has to lean little more on production, to reduce errors.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Whatever happens at other positions, I can't see us not needing a WR. I suppose if Boldin returns, we're in tolerable shape. But if he doesn't, we're really thin. Unless Patton and Ellington really come on strong, and Smelter actually gets on the field and shows some things. Or one or two UDFAs do something. It's almost impossible to conceive of an UDFA contributing at WR, though we got arguably the best one in Dres Anderson.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
your first sentence is certainly true.

your second sentence is only 'somewhat' true. the reason is Baalke doesn't draft by need, so even if there is a need after this coming season, he'll still draft BPA. if it is close value between two prospects, only then he'll pick Need.

so that article is about what we fans will grind over - we can only go by Need. But when the 2016 draft actually proceeds, Baalke will draft way over to the BPA extreme. i'm fine with that thinking, but not fine if he's projects way too much. it looks like he projected quite a bit on Armstead and Tartt? i'm sure these guys got athletic ability and big potential, but don't like him getting carried away on potential. Your highest has to lean little more on production, to reduce errors.

That's being overstated after this last draft. Baalke moved up in 2010 and 2013 to target players at positions of need. He drafted for need in 2012 - though maybe that taught him a valuable lesson about doing so.

In terms of fans, I think most people just feel that if Baalke doesn't hit on one of these later-round WRs at some point, then he's got to use a high pick on one. It's unclear that he agrees with that, but we'll see.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's being overstated after this last draft. Baalke moved up in 2010 and 2013 to target players at positions of need. He drafted for need in 2012 - though maybe that taught him a valuable lesson about doing so.

In terms of fans, I think most people just feel that if Baalke doesn't hit on one of these later-round WRs at some point, then he's got to use a high pick on one. It's unclear that he agrees with that, but we'll see.

Even last year Baalke took a cornerback with the 1st pick which was a position of need last year. If Patton or Ellington don't pan out, then they probably need to look for a WR high in the draft. Not sure Ellington is the type of receiver that would replace Boldin. I am not sure what we will get from all the other WRs drafted this year. With the prior coaching staff, the rookie WRs would languish on the bench. we'll see what the new coaching staff does

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Ellington has the feel of a third receiver playing out of the slot. He's short and doesn't have elite straight-lie speed. But we'll see.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ellington has the feel of a third receiver playing out of the slot. He's short and doesn't have elite straight-lie speed. But we'll see.

That is how I see him. I see Smelter being the kind of WR that would compliment Torrey Smith and be a replacement for Boldin. He has the size and physical attributes to be that type of WR, assuming he can play WR at the NFL level.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Whatever happens at other positions, I can't see us not needing a WR. I suppose if Boldin returns, we're in tolerable shape. But if he doesn't, we're really thin. Unless Patton and Ellington really come on strong, and Smelter actually gets on the field and shows some things. Or one or two UDFAs do something. It's almost impossible to conceive of an UDFA contributing at WR, though we got arguably the best one in Dres Anderson.

believe Boldin's contract is for one more year? if so, don't see him returning in 2016. IF we still need to resign him for the 2016 season, its even worse at WR.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

i disagree, but we'll leave it at that.

IMO we shouldn't expect Baalke to hit on a later round WR. He is going the FA route now and supplementing with draft picks. obviously, he/we are HOPING to hit on one, but we shouldn't EXPECT it. ie the WR talent he added was Torrey Smith.

in the future, fine with him using a high pick on WR, but not if he forces one.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
That is how I see him. I see Smelter being the kind of WR that would compliment Torrey Smith and be a replacement for Boldin. He has the size and physical attributes to be that type of WR, assuming he can play WR at the NFL level.

after reading a little about Smelter, agree. But it also appears he'll take awhile even past his injury?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Even last year Baalke took a cornerback with the 1st pick which was a position of need last year. If Patton or Ellington don't pan out, then they probably need to look for a WR high in the draft. Not sure Ellington is the type of receiver that would replace Boldin. I am not sure what we will get from all the other WRs drafted this year. With the prior coaching staff, the rookie WRs would languish on the bench. we'll see what the new coaching staff does

they didn't Ward as a future starting CB? NB yes, CB no.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
after reading a little about Smelter, agree. But it also appears he'll take awhile even past his injury?

Yes, I don't think he is going to have an immediate impact, but has the physical tools to replace Boldin when Boldin is no longer here. The past coaching staff's ability to draft and develop WR talent left little confidence. I hope the new coaching staff does a better job.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
i disagree, but we'll leave it at that.

IMO we shouldn't expect Baalke to hit on a later round WR. He is going the FA route now and supplementing with draft picks. obviously, he/we are HOPING to hit on one, but we shouldn't EXPECT it. ie the WR talent he added was Torrey Smith.

in the future, fine with him using a high pick on WR, but not if he forces one.

Don't leave it at that. What part do you disagree with? Obviously he moved up. Almost as obviously, he did so to address glaring needs.

We started Adam Snyder at RT in 2009. RT was a huge need in 2010, and we traded up to get one. In 2011, our leading WR put up 941 yards and 4 TDs. Our second-leading receiver was Kyle Williams with 241 yards and three TDs. Our third receiver, Josh Morgan, left for the Redskins, and our fourth, Braylon Edwards, just kind of left. We have arguably never needed a WR more, and we drafted consensus reach AJ Jenkins. In 2013, we let Goldson walk and had Craig Dahl as our "starting" FS before we traded up to draft Reid. FS was a huge need. Is it possible these were also the best players on their board? I suppose it is. But it's also clear they were players are arguably our biggest positions of need in that given year.

Baalke has shown some penchant for moving up to address needs. There was a real pattern a few years back where a player would go at a position, and Baalke would seemingly immediately start trying to move up for his guy:

Seahawks take OT Russell Okung at #6. Niners move up to #10 to take OT Anthony Davis.

Bengals take QB Andy Dalton at #35. Niners move up to #36 to take QB Colin Kaepernick.
Eagles take OG Julian Vandervelde at #161. Niners move up to #163 to take OG/C Daniel Kilgore.

Cardinals take S Justin Bethel at #177. Niners move up to #180 to take S Trenton Robinson.

Saints take S Kenny Vaccaro at #15. Niners move up to #18 to take S Eric Reid.
Cowboys take TE Gavin Escobar at #47. Niners move up to #55 to take TE Vance McDonald.

I'm not prepared to say none of those guys was the best player on the board when they were taken, but almost all of them addressed pretty significant needs. And the pattern was very clear: guy ahead of our player goes at the position, and Trent starts to try to move up. I haven't seen that as much in the past two drafts, though.

RobertPhD01

49er Faithful Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
We have a new staff, a discus thrower, rugby player, safer helmets. A great undrafted WR might make the squad?!