• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016 NBA Off-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He won't sign a 5 year deal. He can do another 2 year deal with an out after 1 and sign a deal for even more money next year as the max increases again.

Did you.see the part that says 2017?

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you are talking about the span before he signed with Washington, Pippen was on his last legs by then. He had a couple good years left, but he was far from his peak.

The year to look at was '93/'94 when Jordan was away from the game playing baseball. Someone already looked at those numbers on this thread, and they did not compare.
i gotchya...so it was only 1 full season pippen was on his own during jordans first hiatus? seems like it was more than that....hmm....

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,296.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lebron will be the first 200 mil contract.

If James opts out following the 2016-17 season, Cleveland will have full Bird rights and can sign James to a five-year deal worth $202.6 million. The Cavs will be the only team that can offer him five years and 7.5% raises next July. The contract would start at $35.2 million for 2017-18 and keep rising until it hit $45.8 million for the 2021-22 season.
– via USA Today Sports

And he'll be as over-paid as Kobe was when people were criticizing the Lakers when they signed him to his 2 year deal.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what she is saying is that its much betterto have drummond at his cap hold number...8.18---then it is for him to be held at his next contract number--- 22 million.....if they wait- they have an additional 14 million in cap room- and then can use drummonds bird rights to sign him to the max....carry him at the cap hold of 8 for as long as possible.

But $14M is not going to get you Ryan Anderson; the salaries are going to spike this year and next.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And he'll be as over-paid as Kobe was when people were criticizing the Lakers when they signed him to his 2 year deal.

At least Kobe was loyal to the team for 20 years and gave them five championships.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Detroit Pistons 2016 Salary Cap

It doesn't work like that.

They only have $7.7M in cap space right now after their free agent cap holds:

Drummond: $8.18M
Tolliver: $3.9M
Blake: $2.8M
Ellenson: $1.42M (his expected salary)

Those cap holds only go away if you renounce rights to the player or when that player gets signed (either by that team or elsewhere). If they renounce Tolliver and Blake, they can offer Anderson about $14.4M, which I doubt gets it done.

Did you takeMeeks off?

They have Drummonds bird rights.

They can easily make moves to accommodate a max salary for Anderson and then exceed the cap for Andre.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But $14M is not going to get you Ryan Anderson; the salaries are going to spike this year and next.

They have over 20 million when you subtract Meeks.

They had 15 million before the Meeks trade.

They took no salary back.

The Pistons would have to shed salary via trades (a combination of Aron Baynes, Jodie Meeks or Marcus Morris could do it) to offer Horford a four-year max deal with a first-year salary of $26 million with 4.5% raises each season.

Ellis: As NBA money flows, Pistons want to max out Drummond, add vets

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You wouldn't have said that 2 years ago. Would you really be ok giving a 36 year old a $40m/year contract?
id be ok giving a 40 year old lebron 50 million.

the man did the impossible- something that had not been done in 52 years- and to do it in the fashion he did it in is worthy of a Hollywood movie. Its all gravy from here on out with LeBron James--- all though- i think there is PLENTY of gravy left.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it sucks having an idiot in control of your team. Trust me- i am a Browns fan. Been PLENTY of them. It seems like he does not have a firm grip on reality and what is possible. Maybe he has been to close and to ingratiated into the old league system where he just expects good things to be laid at the Lakers feet....the league has changed in a major way and it sure does not seem like he is smart enough to survive.

Imagine if the Lakers got a little unlucky and had to give up their pick....to survive 3 losing seasons and only have Randle and Russell basically to show for it would have been a disaster.

I think Ingram is their first sure-fire building block. Thank goodness they got him.

Wiggy, I don't know if you do any posting on the general NFL forum - I don't. I'd imagine that you and I would probably have more civil conversations as the Stephen Ross (Dolphins owner) is a complete moron. Hell, the man put Tannebaum in charge who bit by bit dismantled those Jets teams that went to two AFC title games in consecutive seasons (thank god).

But I do agree with you. I'm not even a big Lakers fan, but the Lakers need to be good for the sake of ratings. It's sad that I now emphasize with Lakers fans as I used to root against this team (particularly when they signed/traded for Dwight). Short Buss' ego is the unraveling of a proud organization that rivaled the Yankees in brands of America's most beloved/hated winning franchise. Only an absolute moron could have the Lakers in the bottom dwellings of the league - which Jim Buss has achieved in epic consistent fashion.

Sooner or later, money will start to be pulled and the voices crying for Jeannie Buss to take over will get louder and louder. The article takes into account Jim Buss questionable work ethic and I don't doubt it for a second.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope, missed that. However, until we know what happens with the cap beyond next year, this could always be an option.

Doubtful at his age.

We are not expecting another cap hike to this magnitude.

It only went up this high because of the TV deal.

Plus, his deal will be for a percentage of the salary cap, not a fixed number.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
id be ok giving a 40 year old lebron 50 million.

the man did the impossible- something that had not been done in 52 years- and to do it in the fashion he did it in is worthy of a Hollywood movie. Its all gravy from here on out with LeBron James--- all though- i think there is PLENTY of gravy left.

But when he leaves to join his geriatric friends in his so-called super team, you'd be calling him a traitor again.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They have over 20 million when you subtract Meeks.

They had 15 million before the Meeks trade.

They took no salary back.

The trade was not included in the numbers, not official yet. That would create more room, but still not max room. $20M-ish may get it done for Anderson, unless someone gets aggressive.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The trade was not included in the numbers, not official yet. That would create more room, but still not max room. $20M-ish may get it done, unless someone gets aggressive.

The trade just.happened, so I'm not surprised his salary was still there.

The trade is what prompted the conversation on who they could be targeting with that much money.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wiggy, I don't know if you do any posting on the general NFL forum - I don't. I'd imagine that you and I would probably have more civil conversations as the Stephen Ross (Dolphins owner) is a complete moron. Hell, the man put Tannebaum in charge who bit by bit dismantled those Jets teams that went to two AFC title games in consecutive seasons (thank god).

But I do agree with you. I'm not even a big Lakers fan, but the Lakers need to be good for the sake of ratings. It's sad that I now emphasize with Lakers fans as I used to root against this team (particularly when they signed/traded for Dwight). Short Buss' ego is the unraveling of a proud organization that rivaled the Yankees in brands of America's most beloved/hated winning franchise. Only an absolute moron could have the Lakers in the bottom dwellings of the league - which Jim Buss has achieved in epic consistent fashion.

Sooner or later, money will start to be pulled and the voices crying for Jeannie Buss to take over will get louder and louder. The article takes into account Jim Buss questionable work ethic and I don't doubt it for a second.

Well said and I totally agree.

I was starting to think it was a witch hunt to discredit the guy.

But, the only reason he still has that job is because they are honoring Dr. Buss' wishes.

It's time.....Sounds like they already have a competent replacement...a younger Half Brother that is running the Defenders.

Status
Not open for further replies.