• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016 NBA Off-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NBA needs to revisit the mid level exception and tax payer mid level...3 and 6 mill a year is no longer "mid-level". lol....it doesnt mean dick.

Agree.
The kids who mop up the sweat will soon get paid more then that.

trojanfight

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lakers picking up Mozgov on a four year deal worth 64 million. Looks to me to be a panic move, but not a disaster. He's a legit center that does play defense and the Lakers really did need a legitimate center

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lakers picking up Mozgov on a four year deal worth 64 million. Looks to me to be a panic move, but not a disaster. He's a legit center that does play defense and the Lakers really did need a legitimate center
17% of your cap
Mozgov brings very solid rim protection...he actually can run the floor believe it or not. His pick and roll defense is better than you would expect for a guy his size but its not great. He is a very good free throw shooter for a center and can hit a 15 footer.

My issues with Mozgov were that he just would get into funks were he would play like shit and do dumb stuff. He dropped a ton of passes- and for some reason refuses to dunk the ball and lays it up. Hes a fan favorite though- a really good guy and a hard worker. You are not gonna have to worry about this guy relaxing on you after getting paid.

Hes a vet too- that has championship experience now- and has started in playoff games. I think its a fairly big deal that he has a decent 15 footer because that will prob be important to Walton's system.

If this was a 2 year deal I would feel a lot better about it. He is already 30 and wasnt really healthy last year. He should be fine- but 4 years seems like a lot. He will be a HUUUUUGE improvement over what they had though and help them win games- and give the young guys a defensive presence they can count on down low which will be good for their confidence.

the negative is opportunity cost. With the 4 year deal- if the Lakers young guys do get really good in a year or two- and they are able to attract the top level free agents- you are still gonna have mozgov chewing up a lot of your cap. You have to HOPE this is not a win-now move by Buss trying to save his neck at the expense of the long term plan. When the rebuild started a couple years ago- if you told me the Lakers big signing on Day 1 of free agency would be Timo Mozgov i would have been incredulous. Still plenty of time left- but it shall be interesting to see.

Last edited:

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
17% of your cap
Mozgov brings very solid rim protection...he actually can run the floor believe it or not. His pick and roll defense is better than you would expect for a guy his size but its not great. He is a very good free throw shooter for a center and can hit a 15 footer.

My issues with Mozgov were that he just would get into funks were he would play like shit and do dumb stuff. He dropped a ton of passes- and for some reason refuses to dunk the ball and lays it up. Hes a fan favorite though- a really good guy and a hard worker. You are not gonna have to worry about this guy relaxing on you after getting paid.

Hes a vet too- that has championship experience now- and has started in playoff games. I think its a fairly big deal that he has a decent 15 footer because that will prob be important to Walton's system.

If this was a 2 year deal I would feel a lot better about it. He is already 30 and wasnt really healthy last year. He should be fine- but 4 years seems like a lot. He will be a HUUUUUGE improvement over what they had though and help them win games- and give the young guys a defensive presence they can count on down low which will be good for their confidence.

the negative is opportunity cost. With the 4 year deal- if the Lakers young guys do get really good in a year or two- and they are able to attract the top level free agents- you are still gonna have mozgov chewing up a lot of your cap. You have to HOPE this is not a win-now move by Buss trying to save his neck at the expense of the long term plan.
I had a feeling that the Lakers picked him up for rim protection, but it's been four years since the Lakers had a signing that was exciting. I think three years would have been okay and two years would have been perfect, but I guess it's a start

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had a feeling that the Lakers picked him up for rim protection, but it's been four years since the Lakers had a signing that was exciting. I think three years would have been okay and two years would have been perfect, but I guess it's a start
When i think about it- the most important things is the one thing i said above....

you have all these rookies and young players- and no matter who you are pretty much- young players rarely are good at defense and ready to defend at an NBA level. It is what it is....at 19 and 20 and 21 you just arent ready for the most part.

Having a security blanket like Mozgov behind these young guys should give them confidence and allow them to play aggresive defense and Mozgov can cover up some mistakes. Hes respectable- prob not top 10 at his position- but solid.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When i think about it- the most important things is the one thing i said above....

you have all these rookies and young players- and no matter who you are pretty much- young players rarely are good at defense and ready to defend at an NBA level. It is what it is....at 19 and 20 and 21 you just arent ready for the most part.

Having a security blanket like Mozgov behind these young guys should give them confidence and allow them to play aggresive defense and Mozgov can cover up some mistakes. Hes respectable- prob not top 10 at his position- but solid.
Yeah and a veteran who is willing to be a mentor and teacher. That's where I was deeply disappointed with both Kobe and Shaq in their veteran years. I think they could have been better teachers and didn't. It's already a given that the Lakers aren't going to get the Lebron's or Durant's. Mitch Kupchak has already said that.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not the best shooter, although I have some ridiculous JR-like shooting streaks from time-to-time that I can't explain. Because I'm wildly inconsistent. My handle is probably the worse as I'll always go right. I'm willing to take a mill off my salary demand if we can get Wiggy as a 3-for-1 on the court deal. By then, I think we're good.

I guess I would be okay with that. I can share.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4 years, 65 million for Mozgov? Are you serious?

Wow.

Bolts

Depressed Sports Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,019.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mosgov getting 64 million is just the start of the overpaid players. The Kings need to get their heads out of their asses and not sign Dion fucking Waiters.

Lakers+USC=#1

Fuck CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, im drunk and imb just finding out all tge business. How about, everybody get a max deal??? That's what we at right?

Lakers, do the right thing!!!!! Please!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.