• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016 NBA Off-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whiteside wants to stay, he has admitted it.

They were talking about it on a sports radio talk show in Miami. General consensus is that he's gone. Who knows?

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually think Whiteside goes to Dallas. I could see him falling for the recruiting efforts that Dallas will give him. Miami is not known for the hype up recruiting pitches.
I think Heat or Lakers if Pat tries to get a discount.

Cuban will go two for one with Parsons and Howard.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I used to think that Durant was definitely staying, but his recent statements on free agency make it sound like he's leaving. He said it's a basketball decision and that it's going to be about the people he's going to be around every single day. The basketball decision statement seems to indicate that he's not convinced that OKC is the best basketball opportunity for him. If he loves Westbrook and his current group of OKC guys, would he be saying that his decision is about who he's going to be around every single day?

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,296.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I used to think that Durant was definitely staying, but his recent statements on free agency make it sound like he's leaving. He said it's a basketball decision and that it's going to be about the people he's going to be around every single day. The basketball decision statement seems to indicate that he's not convinced that OKC is the best basketball opportunity for him. If he loves Westbrook and his current group of OKC guys, would he be saying that his decision is about who he's going to be around every single day?

If he leaves.....it'll be for DC.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually think Whiteside goes to Dallas. I could see him falling for the recruiting efforts that Dallas will give him. Miami is not known for the hype up recruiting pitches.

He's played / lived here for the better part of 2 years.
What recruiting needs to be done.
Assuming they pay him, he either wants to stay or not.
I've never heard anything saying he didn't want to be here.

We'll find out soon enough.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clarkson?

If the Lakers don't pay him, Philly or the Knicks will.

Here is where things get interesting, that rule applies only to the first two years of the contract. The third and fourth year of a potential deal have no financial restrictions. In the third season, his salary could conceivably rise all the way up to the max. So we could see Clarkson sign a four-year deal somewhere around $60 million, but nearly all of the money would be paid out in the final two years.

Now as Clarkson is extremely valuable and the overall value of the contract would be worthwhile no matter what, the Lakers will match any offer and retain him. However, there is a wrinkle other teams could use to make the deal less attractive to Los Angeles. Opposing teams are able to average the salary cap hit of the total contract over the entire four years, so if Clarkson got $40 million, they could average it out to $10 million per year on their cap sheet if they wished. But the Lakers would have no such option, they’d have to live with his max cap number on the books for those last two seasons. This is how the Rockets stole Jeremy Lin from the Knicks and Ömer Aşık from the Bulls.

http://www.yardbarker.com/nba/artic...n_to_the_los_angeles_lakers/s1_11773_21098275

The most any other team can offer Clarkson for the first two years is $5.6M and $5.9M. The 3rd and 4th years can then jump to $22.7M and $23.6M for a total of $57.8M (these are based on the old projected $92M cap, the numbers may be slightly higher now). That's an average of $14.45M per. With the cap increasing further beyond this season, I doubt those numbers will scare away the Lakers.

With the Lakers looking to spend big this summer (and next most likely) on free agents, they might actually prefer to have his contract back-loaded like that. The Lakers could start his contract at about $21M this season if they wanted to, but obviously will not with no competition to force them to do so.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The most any other team can offer Clarkson for the first two years is $5.6M and $5.9M. The 3rd and 4th years can then jump to $22.7M and $23.6M for a total of $57.8M (these are based on the old projected $92M cap, the numbers may be slightly higher now). That's an average of $14.45M per. With the cap increasing further beyond this season, I doubt those numbers will scare away the Lakers.

With the Lakers looking to spend big this summer (and next most likely) on free agents, they might actually prefer to have his contract back-loaded like that. The Lakers could start his contract at about $21M this season if they wanted to, but obviously will not with no competition to force them to do so.

I thought it was the other way around....

The Lakers and every other Team have to start him at the mid level and then the last 2 years go napalm?

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he leaves.....it'll be for DC.

To join who though? They have about $45.5M tied up in Wall, Gortat, Morris, Webster, Porter, and Oubre. Beal wants a max deal, which would start at $23.5M. That leave approx $25M for Durant, who's max would be $28.2M. Unless they get Beal to take less, Durant will have to take less to play in Washington (or someone else will need to be moved). That's not taking into account any draft pick salaries or minimum cap holds to fill out the minimum roster.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's played / lived here for the better part of 2 years.
What recruiting needs to be done.
Assuming they pay him, he either wants to stay or not.
I've never heard anything saying he didn't want to be here.

We'll find out soon enough.

Yeah, I hope I'm wrong.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought it was the other way around....

The Lakers and every other Team have to start him at the mid level and then the last 2 years go napalm?

Lakers can offer him whatever they want, up to his max. The Arenas rule prevents everyone else from offering him more than $5.6M to start and the standard raise for year 2.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,296.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Today is National selfie day?

:L

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,296.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lakers can offer him whatever they want, up to his max. The Arenas rule prevents everyone else from offering him more than $5.6M to start and the standard raise for year 2.

That's what I thought...

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Huh....you are right.

I thought the Arenas rule was across the board. But, it isn't.

Advantage Lakers.

He’s clearly been in the weight room already this summer and appears poised to take yet another step, which could be another reason to avoid the DeRozan sweepstakes. Even though Clarkson is a restricted free agent and due for a sizeable raise over the next few seasons, the Lakers still have the option to either structure a deal that would keep him at a very cost-effective rate around $5.6 and $5.9 million over the next two seasons (before ballooning to $22.7 and $23.6 million in years three and four) or could even offer the 24-year-old a deal closer to what the market would average at just about $14.5 million per season over the next 4 years.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,296.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think next season could be a breakout one for Clarkson now that Kobe's retired. I could see him averaging 20, 6, and 6.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
imo that's his most likely destination IF he leaves OKC...

I just can't see it. That Wizards core couldn't even get to the playoffs in the Eastern conference. On top of that, Brooks is the coach; where I feel Billy Donnovan has already shown he's a far better coach than Brooks on the pro-level.

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think next season could be a breakout one for Clarkson now that Kobe's retired. I could see him averaging 20, 6, and 6.

i'd like to see it. like I said before an absolute STEAL as a second rounder and he clearly puts in the work...

Reactions: DJ

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,296.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just can't see it. That Wizards core couldn't even get to the playoffs in the Eastern conference. On top of that, Brooks is the coach; where I feel Billy Donnovan has already shown he's a far better coach than Brooks on the pro-level.

Missing the playoffs was an aberration. They had a lot of injuries.....

Plus, add Durant and that adds an instant 8-10 wins to that team.

Status
Not open for further replies.