• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016-17 NBA Regular Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's all press talk. The real reason is they are openly tanking so he's fucking around with the lineups to ensure losses. Deng and Young are getting DNP-CDs all the time now. Russell looks to be finally over his knee issues from Decembe/January and has been playing really well since the All Star break. So when he's playing well, now is when you bench him? Yeah, right. It's full on tankery. Clarkson has been more of a 6th man all season, Luke knows this. Hell, it was Luke that found that perfect role for him to begin with. He just can't come out and say "We need to lose games. Russell isn't starting."

Kinda sad, Luke Walton was the boy wonder coach and now he's reduced to trying to lose.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kinda sad, Luke Walton was the boy wonder coach and now he's reduced to trying to lose.
its for the best of the franchise.

you just wish it looked better while they were losing though. You have a combined almost 140 in new contracts taking DNP CD's every night- your #2 pick just went to the bench- because if you are being honest- Jordan CLArkson has probably looked better lately--- IF top 5 picks can land in categories like Star (kyrie), Bust (anthony bennett), solid starter (tristan thompson), or tons of athleticism but takes a while to figure it out (waiters)- it sure looks like Ingram is on a "solid starter" track rather than a star track right now (not that thats set in stone- but if you were betting at this point thats where i would go).

they need that #1 pick in this draft to get a guy who is more likely than not to become a star- which would mean everyone else could move down and slot into roles they would be a lot more capable for. Not only thta but that first round pick to Orlando is on the line as well. There is just too much incentive to tank.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would be hard to sell the three sons as a package deal since the earliest a shoe brand could commit would be March of 2020, in order to preserve the youngest son's eligibility.

Lonzo is expected to be a top-three pick in June's draft. LiAngelo will play for UCLA next season, and LaMelo has two more years of high school remaining before heading to the Bruins.

For perspective, it is believed that LeBron James' most recent contract with Nike -- a lifetime deal signed in December 2015 -- will be worth at least $ 1b billion. After that, there's a big falloff.

Next up is Kevin Durant, who Nike agreed to pay roughly 30 million a year for 10 years in 2014.

Thats pretty crazy- no active player is even in LeBron's stratosphere when it comes to endorsements. They arent even CLOSE to him. Thats pretty crazy- it just goes to show you how popular LeBron is both here in the US and around the world.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Am I the only one who thinks this players only thing is horrible?

Its given me a newfound appreciation for the play-by-play guys. Listening to a whole game without an actual play-by-play guy is awful.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you heat fans ready to cheer on the Cavs tonight?

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't look now, but the Spurs are sitting atop the western conference.

Is it just me, or is a Warriors v Thunder 1st round matchup starting to look more and more likely?

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Is it just me, or is a Warriors v Thunder 1st round matchup starting to look more and more likely?
that would be awesome!!!! lol.......

i like how this is all coming together.....Cavs have work to do- but it would be really nice to see San Antonio- if not beat Golden State- at least have Godlen state pla a lot of hard games--- and OKC would be a lot harder then the 8 seed out there- especially with the emotional aspect- Durant having to go back there for at leaset 2 games etc....

in the East- it looks like whoever the Cavs play in the first round should be dealt with easily- though- i would think the 2nd round should be more difficult then it has been for them the last couple years---- but we shall see.

In the last 2 seasons the Cavs have lost 4 combined games in the East....itll probably be higher this year- but i wouldnt expect too too much higher....

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not sure if it's looking more likely. OKC is ahead of Memphis

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's all press talk. The real reason is they are openly tanking so he's fucking around with the lineups to ensure losses. Deng and Young are getting DNP-CDs all the time now. Russell looks to be finally over his knee issues from Decembe/January and has been playing really well since the All Star break. So when he's playing well, now is when you bench him? Yeah, right. It's full on tankery. Clarkson has been more of a 6th man all season, Luke knows this. Hell, it was Luke that found that perfect role for him to begin with. He just can't come out and say "We need to lose games. Russell isn't starting."

Yes and no. The Lakers were already losing with Russell starting. So, having him come off the bench doesn't make much difference. Luke has said that he and the FO will be evaluating everyone once the season is over. The plan all along has been that when and if the playoffs became unattainable, they were going to be playing the young guys a lot more.

I think the experimenting with different lineups and rotations is about preparing for the future to get an idea of future rotations and who will and won't be part of that future.

Having said that, it does have the added benefit of making it less likely that they "catch fire" and win enough games down the stretch to hurt their chances of keeping the lottery pick.

Of course, it's also possible that the win over the Suns scared the FO into telling Luke to start fucking with the rotations. lol

Last edited:

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He still is. But, they aren't making the playoffs, need to evaluate their young talent and you don't want to risk them winning enough games down the stretch to hurt their lottery chances.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah, I should've said more and more "possible", not more and more "likely"
What does your ideal realistic playoff path look for the Cavs?

Id go

1st round - Heat

2nd round- Atlanta

3rd round- Boston

realistically?- i think itll be

1st round- Bulls

2nd round- Toronto

3rd round- Wash/Boston

Out of the first round possible teams- Indy, Chi, Mil., and Miami- give me the team without a star-- Giannis, Butler, George are all prob. top 20 players in the game.

Second round- the Cavs OWN Atlanta- but realistically- itll prob be the team that gets the 4 seed- since the class of the East is Cle, Bos, Tor, Wash and it looks like Toronto will prob get the 4 seed there.--thats my guess anyway...

Third round--- Wash or Boston--- by this time Love should be perfectly fine and into the game- so Washington doesnt scare me as much as Boston could--- esp. if Boston gets home court--- not that the Cavs worry about that- i mean- they went into GSW and won 2 in a row which ahdnt been done by anyway forever---- but Boston has a lot of depth- and a crunch time scorer like Isiah who could get hot.

I know the Cavs only lost 2 games in the East last year and 2 games in the ENTIRE east playoffs the year before- but with their lack of continuity i dont expect them to just gut the East like a fish like they have the previous 2 years.

Id say they lose between 3 and 5 games in the East playoffs this year...No series will go 7 though- ill guarantee that.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Id go

1st round - Heat

2nd round- Atlanta

3rd round- Boston

1st round- Bulls

2nd round- Toronto

3rd round- Wash/Boston

Out of the first round possible teams- Indy, Chi, Mil., and Miami- give me the team without a star-- Giannis, Butler, George are all prob. top 20 players in the game.

Second round- the Cavs OWN Atlanta- but realistically- itll prob be the team that gets the 4 seed- since the class of the East is Cle, Bos, Tor, Wash and it looks like Toronto will prob get the 4 seed there.--thats my guess anyway...

Third round--- Wash or Boston--- by this time Love should be perfectly fine and into the game- so Washington doesnt scare me as much as Boston could--- esp. if Boston gets home court--- not that the Cavs worry about that- i mean- they went into GSW and won 2 in a row which ahdnt been done by anyway forever---- but Boston has a lot of depth- and a crunch time scorer like Isiah who could get hot.

I know the Cavs only lost 2 games in the East last year and 2 games in the ENTIRE east playoffs the year before- but with their lack of continuity i dont expect them to just gut the East like a fish like they have the previous 2 years.

Id say they lose between 3 and 5 games in the East playoffs this year...No series will go 7 though- ill guarantee that.

I agree with both of those. At first, I wanted to push back against wanting the Heat... but then when I think about the alternatives its hard to argue. The Heat are playing great and have shown they can grind pretty well against the Cavs. But when it comes down to it, star players are usually what make the biggest difference in the playoffs. The Bulls have Butler, the Pacers have George, the Bucks have the Freak. Which leaves me to the Pistons or the Heat. Both have shown a toughness and neither would back down from the Cavs. Its a tossup for me. The Heat are playing better recently, but the Pistons have playoff experience against the Cavs.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Id go

1st round - Heat

2nd round- Atlanta

3rd round- Boston

1st round- Bulls

2nd round- Toronto

3rd round- Wash/Boston

"Out of the first round possible teams- Indy, Chi, Mil., and Miami- give me the team without a star-- Giannis, Butler, George are all prob. top 20 players in the game."

"Out of the first round possible teams- Indy, Chi, Mil., and Miami- give me the team without a star-- Giannis, Butler, George are all prob. top 20 players in the game."

Heat is tougher opponent then any of those teams.
How can you fear the Bulls? Look at what they had to do to win yesterday.
How often will those 4 shoot like that?

We've shown we're better then the Pacers and Bucks.

You name one player on those teams who is better then any one player we have, which is fine, but it's also way easier to defend that one player vs trying to defend the slew of weapons that the Heat throws at you.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Heat is tougher opponent then any of those teams.
How can you fear the Bulls? Look at what they had to do to win yesterday.
How often will those 4 shoot like that?

We've shown we're better then the Pacers and Bucks.

You name one player on those teams who is better then any one player we have, which is fine, but it's also way easier to defend that one player vs trying to defend the slew of weapons that the Heat throws at you.

Yeah, its an interesting juxtaposition and I can see both sides of this argument.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with both of those. At first, I wanted to push back against wanting the Heat... but then when I think about the alternatives its hard to argue. The Heat are playing great and have shown they can grind pretty well against the Cavs. But when it comes down to it, star players are usually what make the biggest difference in the playoffs. The Bulls have Butler, the Pacers have George, the Bucks have the Freak. Which leaves me to the Pistons or the Heat. Both have shown a toughness and neither would back down from the Cavs. Its a tossup for me. The Heat are playing better recently, but the Pistons have playoff experience against the Cavs.

Yes and no. There are definite advantages to having a star player. Star calls being among them. If nothing else, the star player will be able to score by drawing fouls that other players don't get. Plus, there's a reason they are star players and part of that is because they tend to perform well in big games.

On the other hand, as turnup pointed out, you also know who you have to stop when the game is on the line because you know who that team is going to turn to in those moments.

With a team like the Heat, how do you know who to stop since it can be a different guy each night? The Pistons team that took down the Lakers 4 Hall of Famer lineup showed that you don't necessarily need a star to win a title (not that I think the Heat will win the title).

Combine that with the fact that the Heat are looking at going into the playoffs with some serious momentum and that's a team that could be real trouble in the early rounds. Especially if you are a team that is still trying to work players back into the rotation.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm preparing for the disappointment of the Pistons winning a game that they're not supposed to right now.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised. Its past time for the Cavs to start getting their shit together though, so hopefully they start that tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.