• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016-17 NBA Regular Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bolts

Depressed Sports Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,019.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't Waiters anywhere near this team for the long-term. From the few games I've seen - nope.
Don't blame you, he really likes to shoot the ball and isn't efficient when doing so. I threw his name in because he's only 25.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rarely does anyone mention how inefficient Westbrook is.

I really hate that the MVP award talks largely ignore both efficiency and defense. There should be two names alone atop the conversation:

LeBron and KD

With Harden 3rd. I respect what Harden is doing this year, but he is simply not as impactful as those two guys.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really hate that the MVP award talks largely ignore both efficiency and defense. There should be two names alone atop the conversation:

LeBron and KD

With Harden 3rd. I respect what Harden is doing this year, but he is simply not as impactful as those two guys.

If defense was taken into consideration for the MVP award, Harden wouldn't crack the top 10

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Disagree. The all star game is for the fans. That's how the league has always promoted it. It's supposed to be who the fans want to see, not who the media or players want to see.

After hearing how the players voted, they need to just go back to the old system.

I believe I heard that near 1/4 of the players chose not to vote at all.
Around 100 or so felt James wasn't worthy of a top 3 vote.
Many teams as a group intentionally left deserving players off and voted for their teammates.
Even Beasley got 6 votes.

Look at the entire list.

#fuckingjoke

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After hearing how the players voted, they need to just go back to the old system.

I believe I heard that near 1/4 of the players chose not to vote at all.
Around 100 or so felt James wasn't worthy of a top 3 vote.
Many teams as a group intentionally left deserving players off and voted for their teammates.
Even Beasley got 6 votes.

Look at the entire list.

#fuckingjoke
oh no matter what you do you are going to get some people who are idiots.... I mean look how many people voted for Trump and Pachulia, lol.....

I think that overall the players did a pretty good job- a better job then the fans or media anyway if i had to grade the 3 categories.

Plus- they had Kyrie at #1....(though the fans did too). You know they have to be at least SEMI intelligent to do that.....lol.

Embiid is a monster too....what a talent. WE did see why the center position isnt worthy of being its own seperate entity i nthe voting---- Embiid was the highest by a decent margin and he is a very questionable all star in my book. After that it really drops off for centers.

I guess the players having a very VERY different view of Whiteside from you as "possible the most dominant center in the game" is where a lot of your opinion is generated from ;)

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If defense was taken into consideration for the MVP award, Harden wouldn't crack the top 10
for once i agree with you.

Defense matters individually- but team defense is what matters. Having a great defender isnt NEARLY NEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARLY as helpful and meanginful for a team as having a guy like Harden or Westbrook who basically make your entire team go offensively and breaks down the defense etc.

being able to beat and break down a good defense is the most important thing you can do- its the engine of a whole team.

Harden and RW and LeBron and EVERYONE- Curry, Irving etc....all those guys could play better defense then they do if they committed more energy on that side of the floor- but they dont do thatb ecause it takes away from the what they do on the offensive side which is just way more important. You can sign a guy like an Iman Shumpert to guard the other teams best perimeter defender- you cant just find a guy that can break down the other teams defense and be the engine of your offense.

it would be a huge waste for Harden and Curry and LeBron and RW and IRving- all those guys- to expand max effort defensively.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
oh no matter what you do you are going to get some people who are idiots.... I mean look how many people voted for Trump and Pachulia, lol.....

I think that overall the players did a pretty good job- a better job then the fans or media anyway if i had to grade the 3 categories.

Plus- they had Kyrie at #1....(though the fans did too). You know they have to be at least SEMI intelligent to do that.....lol.

Embiid is a monster too....what a talent. WE did see why the center position isnt worthy of being its own seperate entity i nthe voting---- Embiid was the highest by a decent margin and he is a very questionable all star in my book. After that it really drops off for centers.

I guess the players having a very VERY different view of Whiteside from you as "possible the most dominant center in the game" is where a lot of your opinion is generated from ;)

Disagree.
For the most part they mocked or ignored the intent.
James not being unanimous is all you need to see.
Did you look at the entire vote?

Its a meaningless fans game, let them decide even if it leads to obvious mistakes.
At that point, the league can change voting options if they choose.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Disagree.
For the most part they mocked or ignored the intent.
James not being unanimous is all you need to see.
Did you look at the entire vote?

Its a meaningless fans game, let them decide even if it leads to obvious mistakes.
I was just looking at how the voting for each of the 3 turned out and it seems that the players did the best job out of all 3 with the Final result. Wouldnt you agree?

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was just looking at how the voting for each of the 3 turned out and it seems that the players did the best job out of all 3 with the Final result. Wouldnt you agree?

I just quickly looked.
I mostly heard it being discussed in detail on sirius nba radio.
From what I heard, media seemed most accurate.

Ill look it over when I have a chance.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Disagree.

It's not meaningless if it affects a guys money.

Anthony Davis lost millions.

One of the main rule changes that will affect the future of the Timberwolves is that teams are now allowed to use the “designated player” exception on two players coming off of rookie contracts instead of one.

A complicating factor is the possibility of the “Rose Rule,” which allows a rookie to be eligible for a five-year contract at 30 percent of the maximum salary cap. Players qualify if they are voted to start in two All-Star games
, are named to the All-NBA team twice at any level, or be named the MVP. A player can sign a provisional five-year 30 percent contract and then fail to qualify, returning to the 25 percent, which is what happened recently to James Harden and Anthony Davis.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

One of the main rule changes that will affect the future of the Timberwolves is that teams are now allowed to use the “designated player” exception on two players coming off of rookie contracts instead of one.

A complicating factor is the possibility of the “Rose Rule,” which allows a rookie to be eligible for a five-year contract at 30 percent of the maximum salary cap. Players qualify if they are voted to start in two All-Star games
, are named to the All-NBA team twice at any level, or be named the MVP. A player can sign a provisional five-year 30 percent contract and then fail to qualify, returning to the 25 percent, which is what happened recently to James Harden and Anthony Davis.

This provision is probably one of the dumbest ever. I mean if it was an All-NBA team, I could see at least an argument for that. However All-Star voting at the time was purely by fans and just a popularity contest. It doesn't (and still doesn't apparently) select who is actually deserving to be in that game.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This provision is probably one of the dumbest ever. I mean if it was an All-NBA team, I could see at least an argument for that. However All-Star voting at the time was purely by fans and just a popularity contest. It doesn't (and still doesn't apparently) select who is actually deserving to be in that game.

Yep.

Mvp and All NBA should be the criteria.

But, I guess the thinking is to give Teams several avenues to keep their top guys.

I mean, do you honestly think Cousins WANTS to stay in Sacto?

I don't. But, I'd bet money that he takes that 200 mil this Summer.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

True in premise, but he needs to stay healthy.
And, don't put it in your contract if you know the system and don't agree with it.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True in premise, but he needs to stay healthy.
And, don't put it in your contract if you know the system and don't agree with it.

Agree as it applies to Davis.

But, look at Harden who didn't make All NBA last year.

He qualifies for a 200 million extension this Summer because he's starting in the All Star game.

That's a CBA rule for guys on 5 year deals, not something guys put in their contract individually.

LAD

GSAD - formally known as LAD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Westbrook gonna bite a mofo next time they play the Warriors.

I was looking forward to watching him NOT pass the ball to Durant..lol

Sources: Stephen Curry and James Harden will be the starting backcourt for the Western Conference for next month's All-Star Game.
Ya know....one has wonder how that West All-Star team is going to play together when Russell will clearly be a reserve & have to be team mates with Steph & KD.
:pop2:

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Paul George is another guy who stands to lose a ton of money.

He's gonna have a hard time getting voted in as a All Star the next few Seasons.

I think it will be even harder for him to make All NBA.

The new veteran-designated-player rule could allow the Pacers to pay George $219,240,000 over five years ($43,848,000annually) beginning in 2018.* Another team could offer just $139,320,000 over four years ($34,830,000 annually).*

*Based on a projected 2018-19 salary cap of $108 million.

But George must make an All-NBA team this season to qualify for a designated-player extension next summer. An All-NBA selection next season would also allow him to receive the same contract terms in 2018 free agency rather than via extension.

Don’t take an All-NBA appearance for granted, though. George must compete with Kevin Durant, LeBron James, Jimmy Butler, Giannis Antetokounmpo, Kawhi Leonard, Anthony Davis, Draymond Green, DeMarcus Cousins, Gordon Hayward, Kevin Love and DeMar DeRozan at forward. Some of those players could also receive votes at guard or center, but it’s still a crowded field.

Status
Not open for further replies.