• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016-17 NBA Regular Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There seems to be this new option in today's nba landscape of shooting and space where you take 1 really talented player and keep the ball in his hands as much as possible. Make everything run through him. It makes sense from an analytics perspective... maximizing the usage of your best player.

To some extent, that has been what the Cavs have been doing for the past few years... especially in the playoffs. Houston and OKC are doing it to an even more extreme degree this season.

It produces some ungodly stats and I think it can get a team a lot of wins in the regular season, but we'll have to see how these type of teams do in the playoffs. Like, I said, the Cavs kind of did it last year in the playoffs... but how many players can be as consistent as LeBron in the playoffs? This system does not allow for your best player to have bad games from time to time. Also, the Cavs got a handful of monster games and a handful of clutch moments from Kyrie. The Rockets and Thunder will need something similar, I think, from someone other than Harden & Westbrook, come playoff time.

Some of this is the coach astutely determining that they have to do it that way because the team only has one big time star player, so they have to run everything through them. They surely realize this is probably not enough to get through playoff series' against teams with 2+ stars like the Cavs, Spurs, Clippers, Warriors, etc. But it's their best shot.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a joke. Remember Whiteside, Winslow, Waiters, and McBob were already out.

Vyle203

Costco Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 181.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Quin Snyder looks like an alcoholic.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Impossible to watch a team who is clearly tanking. I don't mind if my team sucks but this intentional tanking thing gets under my skin. Baseball can't get here soon enough

DJ Fieri

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 17,943.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nick Young balling out lately. He's made 41 of his last 73 3-pointers (56%)....

For the season: 14.6ppg, 47.5%, 44.3% on 3's......

Bolts

Depressed Sports Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,019.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a joke. Remember Whiteside, Winslow, Waiters, and McBob were already out.

I could still see this injured, tanking team beating the Kings tomorrow.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good game Miami fans. It was nice seeing Goran back in the house.

Bolts

Depressed Sports Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,019.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No way. Only if half of those guys who were out are playing tomorrow.
Kings losing a game to a bad/injured/tanking team when they're trying to hold onto a playoff spot would be just like them though, so I have to think it's possible.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Impossible to watch a team who is clearly tanking. I don't mind if my team sucks but this intentional tanking thing gets under my skin. Baseball can't get here soon enough

They had James Johnson and Dion Waiters slotted to play big roles at the start of the season. You kinda knew what you were getting at the start of the season. Suck it up, its for the best. And be thankful the draft is A) loaded and B) Most of the league is still trying to win games shooting for an 8th seed (especially in the East) so it makes it a hell of a lot easier to get a top pick. And if that still bums you out watching those Heat games, watch college games where Malik Monk, Markelle Fultz, Lonzo Ball, and Jayson Tatum are playing instead

Vyle203

Costco Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 181.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cooler than a fan!

But, I'm a Navy Gal.

So, It's a biological imperative that I hate them.
Yea I'm not a fan of the Midshipmen myself, so I understand.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They had James Johnson and Dion Waiters slotted to play big roles at the start of the season. You kinda knew what you were getting at the start of the season. Suck it up, its for the best. And be thankful the draft is A) loaded and B) Most of the league is still trying to win games shooting for an 8th seed (especially in the East) so it makes it a hell of a lot easier to get a top pick. And if that still bums you out watching those Heat games, watch college games where Malik Monk, Markelle Fultz, Lonzo Ball, and Jayson Tatum are playing instead

I understand everything you're saying. I knew we would suck but it would be guys to see most of these guys actually playing so these games would be worth watching. I prefer these guys to play and lose close/competitive games as they been doing most of the season. I don't mind watching a bad basketball team as long as they're playing hard and are not getting blown out daily.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand everything you're saying. I knew we would suck but it would be guys to see most of these guys actually playing so these games would be worth watching. I prefer these guys to play and lose close/competitive games as they been doing most of the season. I don't mind watching a bad basketball team as long as they're playing hard and are not getting blown out daily.

Iirc Miami's been competitive in a lot of these games. Eventually the 4th quarter hits and the game starts to get away from them. The way we've been playing, I'm starting to think 25-28 wins may have been too many. We're currently sitting at 10-26. But as wildturkey mentioned, it's necessary to get a high pick in a loaded draft.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Iirc Miami's been competitive in a lot of these games. Eventually the 4th quarter hits and the game starts to get away from them. The way we've been playing, I'm starting to think 25-28 wins may have been too many. We're currently sitting at 10-26. But as wildturkey mentioned, it's necessary to get a high pick in a loaded draft.

Yeah I haven't had an issue with their level of play most nights. But watching this team with 7 or 8 available players is beyond frustrating. I'm totally fine with losing close games in the 4th.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I haven't had an issue with their level of play most nights. But watching this team with 7 or 8 available players is beyond frustrating. I'm totally fine with losing close games in the 4th.
tanking is definitely not a whole lot of fun- but getting a possible heir to Wade is what the Heat needs more than anything- if you get a top 6-7 pick in this draft you at least get that chance. If you draft the right guy it can change everything after a few years.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i heard some interesting trade rumors on the radio about a deal to trade Dragic to the Magic for Elfrid Payton, and another young player/pick.....

if you could get Payton and Hezonja and a 2nd rounder for Dragic that would be a coup in my book

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i heard some interesting trade rumors on the radio about a deal to trade Dragic to the Magic for Elfrid Payton, and another young player/pick.....

if you could get Payton and Hezonja and a 2nd rounder for Dragic that would be a coup in my book

I would never do that trade

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would never do that trade
i think you are seriously over valuing Dragic then.

i do think Dragic will be dealt as well. You arent gonang et a Kriss Dunn-like player for him.

getting Hezonja- a 21 year old 6'8" highly regarded shooting guard- and Payton- just 22 years old- a very good distributor and potential to be a fantastic defensive player- plus a high 2nd round pick for Dragic seems pretty good to me. I dunno- maybe you just dont like those players

Payton and Winslow defensively on the perimeter could be scary good a couple years down the road- even if it would be rather offensively challenged---

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think you are seriously over valuing Dragic then.

i do think Dragic will be dealt as well.

I'm not over valuing Dragic but I don't think Payton is going to improve this team much and Hezonja is really nothing special either. He's been pretty bad in his year and a half in this league. I'm open to trading Dragic but that trade is awful. That does absolutely nothing for Miami. And a 2nd round pick? Yeah Miami would never do that. I'm certain Miami can get a mid to late 1st round pick for Dragic. Great trade if you're a Magic fan

Status
Not open for further replies.