• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016-17 NBA Regular Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
eh maybe. if memory serves he was drafted at 10 by the Knicks and was skinny as a rail. the Heat took Justise Winslow that draft at #8...

Justise does ok, but yeah MAYBE i would've taken Kristaps, but in reality i doubt too many people knew he'd develop like this...

Porzingis was #4 and winslow went #10

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
eh maybe. if memory serves he was drafted at 10 by the Knicks and was skinny as a rail. the Heat took Justise Winslow that draft at #8...

Justise does ok, but yeah MAYBE i would've taken Kristaps, but in reality i doubt too many people knew he'd develop like this...
think you gotta go re-check those draft status'

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
thought the Heat picked 8 that season, ah well...

that's why i said "if memory serves"...
Winslow was picked before Booker just for the record.

just saying

if that draft re-occurred today i gotta think the first 4 picks are Towns, Porzingis, Booker, Turner

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Winslow was picked before Booker just for the record.

just saying

if that draft re-occurred today i gotta think the first 4 picks are Towns, Porzingis, Booker, Turner

The Heat didn't pick Booker for obvious reasons. You can't see into the future.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Knicks actually took him at #4, so he wasn't available when the Heat picked at #10.

Also, pretty much no one knew he'd develop like this. The Knicks were mocked for picking him and, if memory serves, the fans booed the pick. It turned out to actually be the one thing Phil has done right since he arrived in New York.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what the "obvious" reason?

a 33 year old dwade with bad knees--- drafting a 19 year old kid?

they just missed. it happens.

They didn't miss at all. They addressed a need. Starting Shooting guard was not a need at that point. You're not going to waste a lottery pick on a guy who you thought would be coming off your bench for the next 3 years.

SF was the clear weak link at that point. We had all other 4 positions covered. We had just traded for Dragic, Whiteside was turning into the dominant force, and obviously we had Wade and Bosh at the other 2 positions. SF was the clear need which was why almost every mock leading up to the 2015 draft had Miami selecting Stanley Johnson.

Asking a front office to see into the future is just stupid. I'm pretty sure everyone in Miami thought Wade would be there at least another 3 years following that draft.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They didn't miss at all. They addressed a need. Starting Shooting guard was not a need at that point. You're not going to waste a lottery pick on a guy who you thought would be coming off your bench for the next 3 years.

SF was the clear weak link at that point. We had all other 4 positions covered. We had just traded for Dragic, Whiteside was turning into the dominant force, and obviously we had Wade and Bosh at the other 2 positions. SF was the clear need which was why almost every mock leading up to the 2015 draft had Miami selecting Stanley Johnson.

This is why I don't put a lot of stock in draft status, mock drafts, etc. Teams draft for need, or at least they should. So, just because a player rates, for example as the #4 pick in the draft, doesn't mean he goes #4 if the team drafting in that position doesn't have a need at the position he plays.

Porzingis is a prime example. No one had him ranked as high as #4, but the Knicks needed a big, so they took him at #4 because he filled a need and was projected as one of the better bigs.

Asking a front office to see into the future is just stupid. I'm pretty sure everyone in Miami thought Wade would be there another at least another 3 years following that draft.

Yes and no. The draft is really all about teams trying to see into the future. But it's about predicting or attempting to predict how a player projects in the NBA.

However, where you are correct, is that predicting things like players choosing to leave (especially a player who had been with the same team his entire career) or a player being injured is virtually impossible.

The Heat made the correct pick based on what their needs were at the time. Things that happened since then (Wade leaving and Bosh's blood clots) couldn't be predicted. If the Heat had somehow addressed those issues ahead of time, it would have been the result of luck, not their ability to predict the future.

Wiggy claiming that the Heat "missed" is just the same "Monday morning quarterback, hindsight is 20/20" bullshit that he always tries to pull in his desperate attempts to be right about something.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is why I don't put a lot of stock in draft status, mock drafts, etc. Teams draft for need, or at least they should. So, just because a player rates, for example as the #4 pick in the draft, doesn't mean he goes #4 if the team drafting in that position doesn't have a need at the position he plays.

Porzingis is a prime example. No one had him ranked as high as #4, but the Knicks needed a big, so they took him at #4 because he filled a need and was projected as one of the better bigs.

Yes and no. The draft is really all about teams trying to see into the future. But it's about predicting or attempting to predict how a player projects in the NBA.

However, where you are correct, is that predicting things like players choosing to leave (especially a player who had been with the same team his entire career) or a player being injured is virtually impossible.

The Heat made the correct pick based on what their needs were at the time. Things that happened since then (Wade leaving and Bosh's blood clots) couldn't be predicted. If the Heat had somehow addressed those issues ahead of time, it would have been the result of luck, not their ability to predict the future.

Wiggy claiming that the Heat "missed" is just the same "Monday morning quarterback, hindsight is 20/20" bullshit that he always tries to pull in his desperate attempts to be right about something.

The Cavs selected Anthony Bennet. Anytime Wiggy tries to troll anyone's team, just mention that they selected the all-time bust at the no.1 pick that year.

Winslow may turn out to be another Kidd-Gilchrist, but at least he's not a bust. He just turned 21 so he still has time to work on his offensive game which is his clear weakness. Sucks that he's rehabbing right now instead of training though.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And also people should look at the team around those players. Winslow was not asked to do much on offense for this team because we had so many other offensive options in Wade, Bosh, Dragic, Deng, and Hassan. Had Winslow gone somewhere else then it is likely he would have produced more on the offensive side of the ball. The Heat basically asked him last year to do the little things and guard the best perimeter player on the opposing team. Even in the few games he played this year, you can see he was more aggressive on offense now that Wade and Deng are gone.

If Booker was drafted by Miami last year, does anyone think he starts 51 games and is attempting over 11 shots per game with Miami? Let's be real now. He would have been a bench player getting less than 20 MPG.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Cavs selected Anthony Bennet. Anytime Wiggy tries to troll anyone's team, just mention that they selected the all-time bust at the no.1 pick that year.

Winslow may turn out to be another Kidd-Gilchrist, but at least he's not a bust. He just turned 21 so he still has time to work on his offensive game which is his clear weakness. Sucks that he's rehabbing right now instead of training though.

lol You know how Wiggy likes to bash Whiteside for having been out of the league and having to play basketball in Turkey?

Guess where Anthony Bennett is playing? :pound:

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah I'm giving Winslow more time. He has basically played only 1 year in the league. He played 18 games this season. That's not even a quarter of the season. Not going to quit on him now. He is our starting SF for at least the next 2 years.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And also people should look at the team around those players. Winslow was not asked to do much on offense for this team because we had so many other offensive options in Wade, Bosh, Dragic, Deng, and Hassan. Had Winslow gone somewhere else then it is likely he would have produced more on the offensive side of the ball. The Heat basically asked him last year to do the little things and guard the best perimeter player on the opposing team. Even in the few games he played this year, you can see he was more aggressive on offense now that Wade and Deng are gone.

If Booker was drafted by Miami last year, does anyone think he starts 51 games and is attempting over 11 shots per game with Miami? Let's be real now. He would have been a bench player getting less than 20 MPG.

It's easier to develop a guys offense than it is his defense, imo. Mainly because guys want to learn and develop their offense. Most guys don't want to play defense. If the Heat have or can get guys who can score, they may not even need to develop his offense all that much.

A defense first guy on a team of guys who can score can be very valuable. Heck, look at DeAndre Jordan with the Clips. He's an all star because of his defense. Dennis Rodman is a Hall of Famer because of his defense and rebounding.

Winslow being a willing defender and becoming better/more aggressive offensively will likely help him develop into an even better player.

Last edited:

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's easier to develop a guys offense than it is his defense, imo. Mainly because guys want to learn and develop their offense. Most guys don't want to play defense. If the Heat have or can get guys who can score, they may not even need to develop his offense all that much.

A defense first guy on team of guys who can score can be very valuable. Heck, look at DeAndre Jordan with the Clips. He's an all star because of his defense.

Yep and the thing about Winslow is he's just needs to work on his jump shot. It's not like he can't handle the ball or etc. It is simply working on his shot. I think soon enough he will be a guy avg 15, 6, and 4 on 43% shooting or so. Heck this year before he went down, he was avg 11, 5, and 4. But his shooting % was bad. Soon as he gets a more consistent shot, he will be avg 15 PPG.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep and the think about Winslow is he's just needs to work on his jump shot. It's not like he can't handle the ball or etc. It is simply working on his shot. I think soon enough he will be a guy avg 15, 6, and 4 on 43% shooting or so. Heck this year before he went down, he was avg 11, 5, and 4. But his shooting % was bad. Soon as he gets a more consistent shot, he will be avg 15 PPG.

He needs the Dr. Kobe prescription of 1,000 shots a day.

Last edited:

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol You know how Wiggy likes to bash Whiteside for having been out of the league and having to play basketball in Turkey?

Guess where Anthony Bennett is playing? :pound:

The L.A. Lakers?:noidea:

Status
Not open for further replies.