• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2015 First-Year Player Draft

darrylgann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chi Chi started in Spokane, but also got in some time at the High A level Myrtle Beach team the year he was drafted. Then last year he started out at High A and then moved up to AA.
Thanks Bennie. That's the assention I was looking for. Wasn't sure of the levels below Frisco. Tate has a ways to go then before we hear his name again. Hope he's ace material but I doubt it. I'd kinda prefer one of the SS.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks Bennie. That's the assention I was looking for. Wasn't sure of the levels below Frisco. Tate has a ways to go then before we hear his name again. Hope he's ace material but I doubt it. I'd kinda prefer one of the SS.

Could be wrong, but I got a hunch he's back of the bullpen material.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he can develop that change up he could find himself in the bigs in a couple of years.
Agree, that would be awesome to go with mid to upper 90's fastball and those breaking pitches. Not only is this guy 6'2" but he is a lean looking machine.

darrylgann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could be wrong, but I got a hunch he's back of the bullpen material.
That's why I preferred the ss. Probably the last time we will draft this high for a while and we draft a potential bullpen guy? Tough year.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's why I preferred the ss. Probably the last time we will draft this high for a while and we draft a potential bullpen guy? Tough year.

All the SS were gone.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he turns into a good one I will have no complaints.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think the Rangers feel that way though. I don't think they take a closer at that point. I would think with where they selected him at that they fully expect him to be a starter and a good one at that.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's to you Mr. Tate. Welcome to the Rangers.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think the Rangers feel that way though. I don't think they take a closer at that point. I would think with where they selected him at that they fully expect him to be a starter and a good one at that.

I'm sure they do. I hope they're right.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He might start off on the pen because of his workload, but yeah there is no way they draft him that high if he doesn't have the potential to start.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He might start off on the pen because of his workload, but yeah there is no way they draft him that high if he doesn't have the potential to start.

He's two inches taller than I thought. Doesn't seem like much, but 6' to 6'2" could make a difference.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Texas Rangers select UC-Santa Barbara pitcher Dillon Tate with fourth pick | | Dallas Morning News

“He’s a kid who was kind of a nobody coming out of high school, so to speak,” Rangers scouting director Kip Fagg said. “He worked hard, in the weight room, throwing. He made himself a prospect. Going from undrafted out of high school to fourth pick in country speaks to his dedication and work ethic.”

Daniels said the Rangers’ final conversations centered on Tate and a position player, likely outfielders Daz Cameron or Kyle Tucker. The Rangers liked Tate over fellow pitchers Carson Fulmer of Vanderbilt and Tyler Jay of Illinois. Jay is considered a relief prospect; Fulmer, at 5-11, is hard-thrower whose size and aggressive mentality on the mound also make scouts think he may project more as a late-inning pitcher. In addition, there are some concerns that Fulmer’s violent delivery makes him more of an injury risk.

“This may have been the most diverse draft room that I’ve been involved in,” said scouting director Kip Fagg. “They are all very talented kids with very good makeup. We just felt like the bigger man, the starter was the fit. It was a tough call. We feel like we got the best player.”

Tate is also a converted reliever. He moved to the starting rotation for the first time this season and compiled a 2.26 ERA and 0.91 WHIP in 103.1 innings. He struck out 111 and walked 28.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Me as well. And a starter it is from all I've read.

Cameron and Matuella are still available btw
Still available after the 36th pick.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Texas Rangers select UC-Santa Barbara pitcher Dillon Tate with fourth pick | | Dallas Morning News

“He’s a kid who was kind of a nobody coming out of high school, so to speak,” Rangers scouting director Kip Fagg said. “He worked hard, in the weight room, throwing. He made himself a prospect. Going from undrafted out of high school to fourth pick in country speaks to his dedication and work ethic.”

Daniels said the Rangers’ final conversations centered on Tate and a position player, likely outfielders Daz Cameron or Kyle Tucker. The Rangers liked Tate over fellow pitchers Carson Fulmer of Vanderbilt and Tyler Jay of Illinois. Jay is considered a relief prospect; Fulmer, at 5-11, is hard-thrower whose size and aggressive mentality on the mound also make scouts think he may project more as a late-inning pitcher. In addition, there are some concerns that Fulmer’s violent delivery makes him more of an injury risk.

“This may have been the most diverse draft room that I’ve been involved in,” said scouting director Kip Fagg. “They are all very talented kids with very good makeup. We just felt like the bigger man, the starter was the fit. It was a tough call. We feel like we got the best player.”

Tate is also a converted reliever. He moved to the starting rotation for the first time this season and compiled a 2.26 ERA and 0.91 WHIP in 103.1 innings. He struck out 111 and walked 28.

Definitely the best choice of those three pitchers IMO.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watch the Astros take Cameron and then not be able to sign him.