• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2015 Entry Draft Thread

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
That's the draft though it's always a crap shoot, the Sharks have a lot of picks in second round this year and a total of 8 so anything can happen and as guys like pavelski and nanny have proven the Sharks are good at finding late round gems

Sharks only have one 2nd this year and no 3rd.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm holding out hope that Kylington falls to 39. Sharks are in desperate need for high end defensive prospects.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'm holding out hope that Kylington falls to 39. Sharks are in desperate need for high end defensive prospects.

yeah, I was thinking similarly. If they can land a couple good Dmen deeper in the draft, it's not the total end of the world. Id also love to see them trade to acquire some more picks (as dougie promised). Still dreaming of patty and jumbo (though I know it's not possible). They dont have alot of fodder to add picks, but they absolutely, positively, HAVE to spend some picks going for high end potential D. They cannot go "safe" like Mueller. They have never developed a #1 dman in the organization, and I think that's been a killer.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
yeah, I was thinking similarly. If they can land a couple good Dmen deeper in the draft, it's not the total end of the world. Id also love to see them trade to acquire some more picks (as dougie promised). Still dreaming of patty and jumbo (though I know it's not possible). They dont have alot of fodder to add picks, but they absolutely, positively, HAVE to spend some picks going for high end potential D. They cannot go "safe" like Mueller. They have never developed a #1 dman in the organization, and I think that's been a killer.

Dougie Hamilton is exactly what they need and they let him go to a division rival for nothing more than picks. That would have been a good use of the #9 pick.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Dougie Hamilton is exactly what they need and they let him go to a division rival for nothing more than picks. That would have been a good use of the #9 pick.

Yep. Agreed. He woulda been a spectacular acquisition. oh well. On the bright side, they don't have to worry about the offensive size of the puck after the expiration of the big two. Clearly, dougie has seen replenishing the forwards at the top priority.

they now have a solid dozen guys who 27 or younger with NHL caliber potential talent.

Couture, Wingels, nieto, hertl, tierney, and karlsson already on the roster.

Goldobin, Meier, O'regan, chartier, sadowy, lebanc, Rod, Jevpalovs, Donskoi all have a reasonable chance of appearing in the next year or two.

I suppose that's alot of trade potential over the next several months/years should some of those forwards develop better than expected.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Oviously, dougie is planning on going shopping by trade or UFA for D. They have 5 D penciled in (burns, vlasic, braun, mueller, likely dillon) so they need two more. Irwin or tennyson might get a look, but it's hard to see that happening. No real farm guys aside from maybe bergman seem poised to leap, abeltshauser as a stretch.

I know dougie is shopping for Bieksa, but they will have to add one or two more as well, particularly given all the cap space. A top 6 of Burns, Vlasic, Braun, Beiksa, Dillon, and Mueller is serviceable, but quite underwhelming. if they added just one more top Dman and a reasonable goalie in addition to Bieksa, they could compete for a PO spot. Maybe they will make a pitch for Sakera, Franson, or someone sub 30. Or they might go for a shorter term stop gap like martin or beauchemin.

18M for Dillon, Bieksa, a #1 goalie (nemo again?) and another Dman. Very doable (2M dillon, 4.8 Bieksa, 4M goalie, 5M Dman = 16M or so). If they did this, they could make a stop gap D that is OK, and if the forwards develop, they could be OK.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Earlier today McKenzie said the Bieksa to the Sharks talk is dead and I hope he's right. He also said the Sharks are one of two teams going after Talbot. Again, I hope he's right.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
He is not much of a power player. He has decient size to be able to play that way but he rarely showed that style. I will give him credit in that he is able to adjust his offensive style, playmaker or goal scorer, based on his line mates strengths.
Either way that implies he has good hockey sense it and that's not a teachable commodity. I'll remain optimistic on this one, of course he could be another Teemu rivhajariiii or whatever the fuck that waste of a pick that was lol

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Earlier today McKenzie said the Bieksa to the Sharks talk is dead and I hope he's right. He also said the Sharks are one of two teams going after Talbot. Again, I hope he's right.
Me too that Beiksa deal made no sense what's so ever especially with an extension tied into the deal. After seeing what Lehner fetched I'd hate to see what the Talbot asking price is

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Either way that implies he has good hockey sense it and that's not a teachable commodity. I'll remain optimistic on this one, of course he could be another Teemu rivhajariiii or whatever the fuck that waste of a pick that was lol

I don't think there is a chance he turns out that bad. He has a lot of the qualities I want the Sharks to target more. He's a good skater, good hands, strong possession player, and is creative on the rush. He has the skill and potential to be a good top six forward. With the big three Dmen off the board I think they would have gotten better value trading down. Depending on how far they moved its likely they still could have picked Meier.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
They might have to move up a bit to get one of them but either Kylington or Merkley are my hopes for the Sharks next pick.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Sharks pick up a 3rd from Edmonton from the McLellan signing.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
They might have to move up a bit to get one of them but either Kylington or Merkley are my hopes for the Sharks next pick.

While I obviously much prefer D, Merkley is intriguing as well, playing with chartier on a top team. Could make a nice C-R on a line in a year or two.

Still though, I feel D is the key for the future so Kylington definitely makes sense. Or Jeremy Roy. or maybe Vince Dunn. There is obviously some "1st round" talent still left out there. Maybe dougie can use one of the depth picks (the 3rd from Edm? or a 5th?) to move up 5 or 6 spots to snatch one of those guys. If they get Roy or Kylington then this draft will be a success for me even though they missed out on the big 3 D. Still woulda loved to move up one spot somehow and grab werensky, and then to get roy or kylington in the 2nd round would be a super haul. Still, as is, landing one of those two would satisfy me somewhat.

Huge Huge day for dougie tomorrow. He needs to land 2 future NHL defensemen.

on another note, if the bieksa deal is dead, then the sharks are back to have 5 Dmen, with one of them (mueller) suspect as an NHLer, barring a big big improvement from last year. Either dougie is gunna go after a bigger name guy like Martin, Oduya, Sakera, Green, franson, or whoever, or the sharks will have absolutely no chance of coming in the vicinity of the POs. Dillon blows, so really they have bona fide 3 NHL dmen right now, and nothing likely in the system. hmmm....

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
woops... somehow missed merkley being taken 30th... hahaha....

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Woke up to great news!! It cost a 2nd next year and a 6th, but the sharks landed Jeremy Roy, who is the kind of Dman I would want. Fast, offensive, huge upside potential and a projected mid 1st rounder. That's a great steal...

Kylington still out there in the late 40s... can they swing another one to move the Edmonton 3rd into a second and snatch him too???

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Looks like they are figuring on Grosenick and Stalock? I am OK with nemo gone...

Today, the sharks seem to have done better. They got the 1st round talent defenseman. They added a point per game senior Dman from Harvard, who may be NHL capable right away. They added another couple D to the system, including the tall wisconsin recruit parcells. And they added UNH's future goalie. They certainly seem to be drafting wisely for need.Now they need 2 of the 4 or 5 D that they have added to actually develop into NHL players...

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Roy is a good pick. He's going to be a project but a lot of potential there.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
well, it's done. Interesting draft, but at the end of the day, lots of big questions from what might be the most important draft for the sharks since 2003.

At the end of the day, here are my thoughts:

1. They got a legit NHL forward and a likely legit NHL Dman with Meier and Roy. In this regard, I am pleased. I would have rather they gotten 2 of the top 5 or 10 Dmen in the draft, but at the least they got one...

2. The clearly looked for D and G. 2 goalies and 4 Dmen (if you include mcnally), compared to just 4 forwards.

3. They added some guys for today, not the future as well. Mcnally is a play for the present as is Helewka, who will be 20 next month. The helewka pick kinda reminds me of demers, who was an overager with gaudy numbers. That pick was in the 7th round, this in the 4th, but hopefully, it works out the same. I like that dougie added some guys with more immediate time frame.

4. dougie sucks at getting good deals in trades. He did great to trade up to get roy, but a 2nd rounder was a steep price, particularly in comparison to what others gave up to move up. He also could likely have added a second by moving down in the 1st round and still getting meier.

5. Lastly, dougie got beat by the flames big time... twice. First, the flames got dougie hamilton, who was exactly what the sharks desperately needed. Then they traded up to get kylington at 60th overall, which would have been a fabulous place to get him. I would have loved to see dougie trade his 3rd rounder and a package of other picks to get kylington. A haul of Meier, Roy, and Kylington would have made this draft a rousing success.

Late picks are always crap shoots, so who knows... Hopefully Roy turns out to be the big steal of the draft...

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I really like the Vela pick and the late round pick of a goalie. All in all this was an okay draft for the Sharks.