• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2015 Draft

Maximus Rex

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,357.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well...Colbert & Tomlin have completed their draft task.

IMO...the early breakdown.

Dupree...has more athletic ability than any OLB on the roster and any OLB in this draft sans Beasley...if the coaches can turn that ability in to production...they have a winner.

Golson...slot WR is really a starter...defender of that position has to be able to play...they really like his ball skills...solid..I expect him to see the field early this season.

Coates...the player I like...reminds me of Julio Jones without the 4.3...but plenty fast enough to get deep...physical, willing blocker...I can see him getting snaps this season.

Grants...there was the double dip we wanted/expected...another guy with good ball skills. I know little about B10 football, but he the reports are good...ST most likely...I wonder if he's an outside guy.

James...love this pick. Size is ideal...looking forward to his development

Walton...gotta love this one as well...seems like he can play both DT and DE...depth, depth, depth

Chickillo...I wanted a G or OT here, but this guy adds more competition to a group that seems crowded now, but this time next year with the possibly of no Moats or Harrison...depth, depth depth...ZMan and Hojo need to bring their hard hats to camp.

Holliman...Love this pick...not sure why this guy was on the board this late, but really a needed pick

They didn't grap a OL guy, but I think you have to say they covered their base needs well.

Last edited by a moderator:

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
apparently we tried to get waynes

Steelers Tried to Trade for Trae Waynes
Updated May 6, 2015
By Charlie Campbell - @draftcampbell

Entering the 2015 NFL Draft, one of the popular projections for the Pittsburgh Steelers was having them take a cornerback in the first round. It made sense, as corner has been a need position for years. Many were projecting the Steelers to take Wake Forest cornerback Kevin Johnson, but Johnson didn't make to Pittsburgh pick after he was snatched up by the Texans at No. 16. Pittsburgh ended up taking Kentucky outside linebacker Bud Dupree with the 22nd-overall selection to help upgrade their pass rush. While the Steelers didn't take a corner in the first round, it wasn't from a lack of trying. Sources from around the league told us that the Steelers were calling teams to see about a trade, and their target was Michigan State cornerback Trae Waynes.

Pittsburgh was calling teams to gauge what it would take to get them to move down. The Steelers weren't willing to give up a huge amount of picks, and Waynes ended up going to the Vikings with the 11th-overall pick. Moving into the top 10 was too costly for the Steelers. Leading up to the draft ,they were calling teams to prepare a potential move, but with Waynes not sliding into the teens, Pittsburgh was never close to accomplishing a trade.

The Steelers ended up selecting Ole Miss cornerback Senquez Golson in the second round. Sources say that Golson projects as a nickel corner, and they feel that Pittsburgh will still be looking for some starting outside corners next year. The 5-foot-8 Golson doesn't project as a corner who can match up against Cincinnati's A.J. Green (6-4, 207), given Green's height advantage. Fourth-round pick Doran Grant (5-10, 200) could also compete for playing time for the Steelers, but he isn't the tall length corner that the Steelers were targeting in the first round with Waynes (6-0, 186) or Johnson (6-0, 188).

The Steelers have received a lot of praise for landing Dupree at No. 22m as many projected Dupree to go in the top half of the first round. However, Pittsburgh's plan A was moving up to get Waynes.
Read more at WalterFootball.com: NFL Draft Rumor Mill

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
apparently we tried to get waynes

Steelers Tried to Trade for Trae Waynes
Updated May 6, 2015
By Charlie Campbell - @draftcampbell

Entering the 2015 NFL Draft, one of the popular projections for the Pittsburgh Steelers was having them take a cornerback in the first round. It made sense, as corner has been a need position for years. Many were projecting the Steelers to take Wake Forest cornerback Kevin Johnson, but Johnson didn't make to Pittsburgh pick after he was snatched up by the Texans at No. 16. Pittsburgh ended up taking Kentucky outside linebacker Bud Dupree with the 22nd-overall selection to help upgrade their pass rush. While the Steelers didn't take a corner in the first round, it wasn't from a lack of trying. Sources from around the league told us that the Steelers were calling teams to see about a trade, and their target was Michigan State cornerback Trae Waynes.

Pittsburgh was calling teams to gauge what it would take to get them to move down. The Steelers weren't willing to give up a huge amount of picks, and Waynes ended up going to the Vikings with the 11th-overall pick. Moving into the top 10 was too costly for the Steelers. Leading up to the draft ,they were calling teams to prepare a potential move, but with Waynes not sliding into the teens, Pittsburgh was never close to accomplishing a trade.

The Steelers ended up selecting Ole Miss cornerback Senquez Golson in the second round. Sources say that Golson projects as a nickel corner, and they feel that Pittsburgh will still be looking for some starting outside corners next year. The 5-foot-8 Golson doesn't project as a corner who can match up against Cincinnati's A.J. Green (6-4, 207), given Green's height advantage. Fourth-round pick Doran Grant (5-10, 200) could also compete for playing time for the Steelers, but he isn't the tall length corner that the Steelers were targeting in the first round with Waynes (6-0, 186) or Johnson (6-0, 188).

The Steelers have received a lot of praise for landing Dupree at No. 22m as many projected Dupree to go in the top half of the first round. However, Pittsburgh's plan A was moving up to get Waynes.
Read more at WalterFootball.com: NFL Draft Rumor Mill

I've heard they called some teams about moving up from Colbert himself, but it was going to take a top 10 position and with this pt system they have, it was always going to be too steep imo.

I think it's pretty clear they stuck with their board and it wasn't all about a tall CB...they left some 6' CBs on the board when they picked Golson...5-10 with good technique still works outside...Gay has turned into a good edge CB, Grimes in MIA...5-8.

The key is Allen regaining his game, if he does...Gay will likely be on the other side, Golson imo will earn the slot over Blake eventually, and Grant could go either S, slot, or edge..we'll have to see, but I think the back end is better...faster than LY already.

Yeah...work is not over...I could see them going CB within the 1st two rounds next yr. If Allen rebounds...maybe not a 1st, but if he doesn't, I can really see them moving up then. IMO OG/OT/QB will be higher level targets next yr.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Film breakdown of Gerod Holliman:

After watching this I can easily see why he was left on the board until the 7th round. The kid looks like he is almost afraid of contact. Decent coverage skills, but lacks the tackling ability. There is no way that he will make the team if he doesn't get that figured out because he is most likely going to be fighting for a ST spot. Maybe he just had a bad game, so I'll reserve judgement.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holliman has most of the tools to be a very good Safety, but the tackling department, or lack thereof, obviousyl needs work. He has nothing to lose, but everything to gain. Captain obvious would state that his success will depend greatly on his ability to be coached. If a player has all the tangibles but one, then there is no reason why that one tangible can't be coached up in order to get said prospect where he needs to be! If they can't accomplish that, then maybe they need to find another line of work. But if they can... Then they might have gotten the "steal" of the draft, after all he was only a 7th rd. pick. Small price to pay if he doesn't work out.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another draft review and preview for 2016 draft:

per BTSC:
"Wow, what a draft! Never did I think that Bud Dupree would fall to the Steelers, especially with the off-the-field baggage of Randy Gregory and Shane Ray. I don't think I've been that happy for a Steelers first round pick since David DeCastro fell to us. Adding the diminutive Senquez Golson and Doran Grant will be a big boost to the secondary. Initially I, like most of you, had some reservations about the size, or lack thereof, of Golson but in the modern NFL having a nickel CB who can cover opposing equally diminutive speedsters in the slot is a must, and while short in statue Golson's coverage ability and toughness in run support are good enough to play on the outside. Sammie Coates was a steal at the end of the third round, whether he was needed or not. That's just an example of a smart franchise taking the best player available. Admittedly I'm not the biggest fan of Jesse James, and I think his ceiling is that of a solid number two TE, but getting a potential red zone threat in the fifth round isn't something I can argue against. Leterrius Walton and Anthony Chickillo were surprises but only because neither were attached to the Steelers in any way during the pre-draft process but both will provide quality depth, provided that they both stick to the roster. Chickillo could even play the "Elephant' role that has been much discussed this draft season. And then there is Gerod Holliman, he of ballhawking lore. I've made it no secret that, despite accumulating an FBS leading 14 interceptions, I wasn't his biggest fan. There is a lot lacking in his overall game beyond his poor tackling issues that would cause the Thorpe Award winner to fall into the seventh round like that. But still, he was a great value pick and I hope he sticks to the roster long enough for the Steelers to be able to mold him into the player that he could be.

Depending on how free agency shakes out the Steelers could be in the market for an offensive lineman with their first draft pick in 2016. Two starters, Kelvin Beachum and Ramon Foster, as well as our top reserve lineman Mike Adams will all be free agents.

Hopefully by the 2016 offseason we will have a definitive answer to the question of whether or not Shamarko Thomas can come close to realizing his potential in replacing Troy Polamalu. Perhaps Mike Mitchell is our long-term answer at SS and either Doran Grant or Gerod Holliman can take his place at FS.

While everyone is breathing a sigh of relief that the Steelers spent two draft picks on the much needed CB position it could yet again be an issue that needs to be addressed early in the draft. Willie Gay will be a 31 year old free agent, the still largely unproven Antwon Blake will be a free agent as well, and we may be in year two of regret over the five-year contract that Cortez Allen signed in 2014.

As far as the prospects available that would interest the Steelers and fill their future needs, if the Steelers fail to re-sign either Beachum or Foster then they could be looking at Baylor OT/OG Spencer Drango. He sports a tall, lean frame with excellent athleticism and would be a good fit for Munchak's zone blocking scheme.

After a relatively weak safety class there should be a plethora of options in 2016 which include both Jalen Ramsey and Nate Andrews from FSU, Ole' Miss. SS Tony Conner, and USC's Su'a Cravens, the last of which I've previously mocked to the Steelers. It's apparent though that Cravens will shift to LB this season and will probably play the same position in the pros, a la Shaq Thompson.

Provided the Steelers do not re-sign Willie Gay, or at least sign him to anything other than a long-term deal, then they could give serious consideration to a CB in the first round. Antwon Blake is a fringe roster player until proven otherwise and Cortez Allen's 2014 season was so utterly abysmal that another bad season will sink him in the Burgh. Doran Grant will probably develop into a decent nickel CB or valuable CB/S swing player which would only leave Senquez Golson as a dependable starter in 2016.

A player who hasn't received a lot of national recognition but should become a hot commodity during the 2016 draft season is Tennessee's Cameron Sutton. Cursed with having played on an awful defense for the past two seasons, Sutton should get some more opportunities for splash plays, which raises his national profile, thanks to some solid recruiting by Butch Jones which will put more pressure upfront. He has a lean 6-foot, 185 pounds frame and has proven to provide blanket coverage on some of the SEC's top WR's including Amari Cooper. He's solid against the run and is an excellent return man as well. When all is said and done Sutton could quite possibly challenge VH3 to be the top CB taken in 2016."

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good read Face.

OL...it does point to the Steelers having to make a high pick on a G or OT next year. I sense that PIT will not pay both Foster and Beachum top shelf money with Heyward coming due now, and DeCastro looming in '17.

CB...teeters on Allen's development...if he returns to form...I don't see them spending a 1st rd pick on a CB but we'll have to see what the board looks like at that time.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good read Face.

OL...it does point to the Steelers having to make a high pick on a G or OT next year. I sense that PIT will not pay both Foster and Beachum top shelf money with Heyward coming due now, and DeCastro looming in '17.

CB...teeters on Allen's development...if he returns to form...I don't see them spending a 1st rd pick on a CB but we'll have to see what the board looks like at that time.
OL... Beachum will get paid. Guaranteed! His position flexibility is too valuable. Not sure what his market value is, but he's more than earned his keep. Foster is iffy. The price would have to be right because they (could) have capable replacements. They love Foster, but he is one of the only weak links in the line. He does an adequate job, but I've seen him get blown off the line or miss assignments quite often. We could see someone emerge from the UDFA standpoint this season, or even Cody Wallace could step up to fill his shoes.

CB... Definitely a "wait and see" type deal here.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OL... Beachum will get paid. Guaranteed! His position flexibility is too valuable. Not sure what his market value is, but he's more than earned his keep. Foster is iffy. The price would have to be right because they (could) have capable replacements. They love Foster, but he is one of the only weak links in the line. He does an adequate job, but I've seen him get blown off the line or miss assignments quite often. We could see someone emerge from the UDFA standpoint this season, or even Cody Wallace could step up to fill his shoes.

CB... Definitely a "wait and see" type deal here.

Foster is generally considered the weak link on the OL, but he's a solid player...if they can replace his production for less money...he could be the odd man out if his price is too high.

Beach...yeah...the question is how much...Gilbert money? or LT money?...If he's willing to take Gilbert money I think he will be the man on the left side at G or T.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Beach...yeah...the question is how much...Gilbert money? or LT money?...If he's willing to take Gilbert money I think he will be the man on the left side at G or T.
I hear ya. Beach works his ass off every year. I think he deserves more than Gilbert. But I hope he doesn't price himself too high.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hear ya. Beach works his ass off every year. I think he deserves more than Gilbert. But I hope he doesn't price himself too high.

Not really a fear, but I understand how later round picks are...he knows he's been way underpaid the last couple of years, I can see him wanting to max out, understandably so.

Yes, he should make more than Gilbert, but I think Gilbert is getting too much for just being average. With Pouncey already locked up, this OL is getting ready to get a lot more expensive with DeCastro, Beach, and possibly Foster getting new contracts.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really a fear, but I understand how later round picks are...he knows he's been way underpaid the last couple of years, I can see him wanting to max out, understandably so.

Yes, he should make more than Gilbert, but I think Gilbert is getting too much for just being average. With Pouncey already locked up, this OL is getting ready to get a lot more expensive with DeCastro, Beach, and possibly Foster getting new contracts.
Yep. That's why I'm hoping to capitalize on a SB trophy or 2 within the time frame of keeping all that talent lol. It helps that the salary cap keeps getting raised. But Ben's new contract is going to put a lot of strain on the whole process. I have faith that Khan/Colbert will get it all worked out. Just need to keep pulling/drafting viable talent for insurance policies.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. That's why I'm hoping to capitalize on a SB trophy or 2 within the time frame of keeping all that talent lol. It helps that the salary cap keeps getting raised. But Ben's new contract is going to put a lot of strain on the whole process. I have faith that Khan/Colbert will get it all worked out. Just need to keep pulling/drafting viable talent for insurance policies.

IMO...'15 thru '17 is the window...I think we could start seeing more drop off from Ben after that.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO...'15 thru '17 is the window...I think we could start seeing more drop off from Ben after that.
Yea that's what I worry about most. But there's little reason not to think he can't last longer with as much talent on the O-line as they have. Foster will be 29 next season. And below him the next eldest is Gilbert @27. Beach/DeCastro/Pouncey are all 25 or so. Still pretty young!

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea that's what I worry about most. But there's little reason not to think he can't last longer with as much talent on the O-line as they have. Foster will be 29 next season. And below him the next eldest is Gilbert @27. Beach/DeCastro/Pouncey are all 25 or so. Still pretty young!

Part of my thinking is Heath is really on his last prime year, and Bell is probably going to peak here in the next 3 years. If the OL can keep the same kind of health they had this past season, they have enough to at worst give themselves chances...i.e. make the playoffs.