• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2015 Draft

mall3013

SportsHoopla's #1 Bucknut
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they would take him, but there's always the potential to trade back(awaz mentioned trading with Boston to get 13 and 37, which I wouldn't do but I understood the line of thinking) - I wouldn't mind the Flyers using that pick if they don't like any of the players still available at 7(which would be slim) and maybe using it as trade bait for ROR or even Dougie Hamilton - it would be much riskier using it on ROR with his one year left though

You think the Flyers could move 7 and 29 to get Dougie Hamilton? That would give Boston three first rounders and the Flyers would get a young d-man that will get even better - I'm not sure how you guys feel about him though and whether it would take more to get him(I'm thinking it would take more since
Boston is kinda short in that department)[/QUOTE

I'd make that deal for Dougie Hamilton. Heck yes!

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they would take him, but there's always the potential to trade back(awaz mentioned trading with Boston to get 13 and 37, which I wouldn't do but I understood the line of thinking) - I wouldn't mind the Flyers using that pick if they don't like any of the players still available at 7(which would be slim) and maybe using it as trade bait for ROR or even Dougie Hamilton - it would be much riskier using it on ROR with his one year left though

You think the Flyers could move 7 and 29 to get Dougie Hamilton? That would give Boston three first rounders and the Flyers would get a young d-man that will get even better - I'm not sure how you guys feel about him though and whether it would take more to get him(I'm thinking it would take more since Boston is kinda short in that department)

I really don't want to trade back unless it is for an obvious overpayment or the Flyers really value the available prospects equally. Drafting high is the easiest, cheapest way to find talent and we shouldn't look past that just to add a 2nd rounder for the sake of adding a 2nd rounder.

Dougie Hamilton would be a great, right handed pick up, and although he is more proven than anything we'll get at #7 (And #29) I'd rather go with a cost controlled prospect that has similar potential. I'm just spitballing but I really don't think Boston trades Hamilton, he'll only be gone if their hand is forced. I really want to see Edmonton offer sheet Hamilton for a lot of money with the hope that he becomes a #1D. I also think offer sheeting is the only way you could get Hamilton. Boston has $6.8mil in cap space with only 11 forwards, 4 defensemen, and 1 goalie signed on their roster. That makes a for a great opportunity to bank on his potential and offer sheet him. Again, Edmonton should be all over this.

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't remember which mock I saw recently, but the guy has us taking Werenski instead of Provorov? I think it's awaz that likes werenski? Sorry if I didn't spell his name correctly. Hopefully you who I am referring to.

Can't remember what awaz has said about Werenski but I have campaigned for him being one of my top choices. London has his CHL rights and they seem to be really stacking up their roster. Could be an interesting discussion of NCAA vs OHL development.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really don't want to trade back unless it is for an obvious overpayment or the Flyers really value the available prospects equally. Drafting high is the easiest, cheapest way to find talent and we shouldn't look past that just to add a 2nd rounder for the sake of adding a 2nd rounder.

Dougie Hamilton would be a great, right handed pick up, and although he is more proven than anything we'll get at #7 (And #29) I'd rather go with a cost controlled prospect that has similar potential. I'm just spitballing but I really don't think Boston trades Hamilton, he'll only be gone if their hand is forced. I really want to see Edmonton offer sheet Hamilton for a lot of money with the hope that he becomes a #1D. I also think offer sheeting is the only way you could get Hamilton. Boston has $6.8mil in cap space with only 11 forwards, 4 defensemen, and 1 goalie signed on their roster. That makes a for a great opportunity to bank on his potential and offer sheet him. Again, Edmonton should be all over this.

Exactly what I was saying before that I wouldn't trade down, but there's always that possibility especially if they want to really replenish the system - apparently from three to 11, it's pretty obvious which players will go in those spots but then once you get to 12, it can be off the board

I think a cheap talent with similar potential is the way to go too - I think there's a lot to sort out with the cap situation between now and a year from now because a few of the d-men will be free agents and Jake's contract situation will have to be sorted out - Edmonton should be all over that but I actually think a team like Calgary might make the jump - I think Colorado should be too because they desperately need a d-man

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't remember what awaz has said about Werenski but I have campaigned for him being one of my top choices. London has his CHL rights and they seem to be really stacking up their roster. Could be an interesting discussion of NCAA vs OHL development.

I haven't said much on Werenski. I like him fine, but he's one of the few I can't see the Flyers taking. I think if Hanifin and Provorov are off the board they'll go forward. I would be fine if they chose him though, seems like a good all around guy on defense.

If they do pick him though, I hope he plays for London in the OHL. I'm just more comfortable with guys going that route.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope you're right. Zacha and Provorov are my top 2 "realistic" picks.

If Strome fell to us I'd take him and probably happy about it but the guy does worry me a bit. From what I understand he just completely fell off when Erie lost in the playoffs. There's clearly a reason why he is considered to be one of the top 5, and I'd love to add a high potential center to our pool, but Strome really does scare me about being a major disappointment. You do have to take him if he falls...right?

That's what I was thinking when I was reading more on him yesterday. He's a bit of a nervy pick. Some of the reviews I read question his ability to play at NHL speed, both because of his skating and the speed at which he processes the game.

If he falls to 7 though, I think you have to take him. If he can make the transition to the NHL he's got Joe Thornton written all over him to me.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's what I was thinking when I was reading more on him yesterday. He's a bit of a nervy pick. Some of the reviews I read question his ability to play at NHL speed, both because of his skating and the speed at which he processes the game.

If he falls to 7 though, I think you have to take him. If he can make the transition to the NHL he's got Joe Thornton written all over him to me.

If he's Joe Thornton, then everyone will take that

wbon22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I keep reading things about the draft (not necessarily in this thread) that talk about how "if a player has fallen than you don't want them" or "he's only a 2nd rounder, he can't help us".

All of the lovely thinking fails to take into account that the overall rankings are based on how complete the player is at that moment. A player who is in the top 10 may be a very good player at that moment but may never be an impact player in the NHL while a 2nd rounder (PK Subban) or later who is drafted with known holes in their game will become an impact player.

The biggest challenge for GM's is to look at the skill sets that are present and what they project to and then how do those fit in with the organizational needs and or philosophy and then...what are the holes. You clearly don't keep drafting the same problem over and over (unless you are Edmonton).

Hextall may really surprise all of us this draft. I think the #7 will be a fairly conservative pick but once he gets to 29 and later I think that is when the real fun and insight into his vision for the team will come better into focus.

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I keep reading things about the draft (not necessarily in this thread) that talk about how "if a player has fallen than you don't want them" or "he's only a 2nd rounder, he can't help us".

All of the lovely thinking fails to take into account that the overall rankings are based on how complete the player is at that moment. A player who is in the top 10 may be a very good player at that moment but may never be an impact player in the NHL while a 2nd rounder (PK Subban) or later who is drafted with known holes in their game will become an impact player.

The biggest challenge for GM's is to look at the skill sets that are present and what they project to and then how do those fit in with the organizational needs and or philosophy and then...what are the holes. You clearly don't keep drafting the same problem over and over (unless you are Edmonton).

Hextall may really surprise all of us this draft. I think the #7 will be a fairly conservative pick but once he gets to 29 and later I think that is when the real fun and insight into his vision for the team will come better into focus.

Every case with falling is unique. I'd be fine with Marner is he falls to us since his negatives are basically size issues. If Strome falls to us I'd be pretty underwhelmed since his negatives are really about the way he plays the game.

Laughton, Morin, and Sanheim all caught me of guard, but I am ready to put faith in our scouting. These guys will make the right call.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hadn't thought about this yet but: You think there's a chance they trade UP? Maybe trade 7 and 29 to go up to 4 or 5 if they have a player they really want? You think there's that one specific player that they're looking for?

banditshcky11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hadn't thought about this yet but: You think there's a chance they trade UP? Maybe trade 7 and 29 to go up to 4 or 5 if they have a player they really want? You think there's that one specific player that they're looking for?

I've thought about this a good bit actually and if there is one guy who I think they'd move up for it's Hanafin. The way the guy plays the game he does look like a true top tier d-man and I believe Hexy is really going to stress building the back end up in the early rounds since it seems to be easier to find mid to late round offensive players that develop way past their draft position.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've thought about this a good bit actually and if there is one guy who I think they'd move up for it's Hanafin. The way the guy plays the game he does look like a true top tier d-man and I believe Hexy is really going to stress building the back end up in the early rounds since it seems to be easier to find mid to late round offensive players that develop way past their draft position.

I agree - Ivan Provorov looks like a real good one too but I think Noah Hanifin could be a real good fit too - you have to keep stressing defense and if they keep collecting good young d-men it'll eventually pay off

I think the one thing that will improve under Hexy is their drafting in the later rounds

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think Hextall would like to trade up for Hanifin after Ekblad last year. I'd trade both our firsts for either Hanifin or Marner

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Hextall would like to trade up for Hanifin after Ekblad last year. I'd trade both our firsts for either Hanifin or Marner

You think he's NHL ready? Maybe this would be Hexy's way of being able to get a guy who can be really good in the future and be good right now

I would be on board for that for sure - honestly, I know getting a forward with lots of scoring potential would be great and is needed but I really want another d-man - I know you mentioned before that what Chicago has with Duncan Keith, Brent Seabrook and Niklas Hjalmarsson is enviable and it'd be great to have something like that where you can get a stud d-man in this draft and combine that with what is already in the system and it has a high ceiling

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, I'll add that with Dave Hakstol on board, maybe the fact that he coached in college could be a factor in selecting someone like Noah Hanifin, who played in college as well - not saying that would be the entire reason but that could be a factor

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You think he's NHL ready? Maybe this would be Hexy's way of being able to get a guy who can be really good in the future and be good right now

I would be on board for that for sure - honestly, I know getting a forward with lots of scoring potential would be great and is needed but I really want another d-man - I know you mentioned before that what Chicago has with Duncan Keith, Brent Seabrook and Niklas Hjalmarsson is enviable and it'd be great to have something like that where you can get a stud d-man in this draft and combine that with what is already in the system and it has a high ceiling

I kinda get the impression that Hanifin could be in any of them NHL, AHL, or BC next year. Even if he isn't ready to go pro I think Hextall would be eager to add him, next season isn't a priority. As much as I like all of our defensemen prospects none of them has the blue chip draft pedigree that Hanifin has.

A late 1st is a small price to pay for a top pair defenseman. You just need to have the scouting to make sure the guy you're drafting hits his potential.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I kinda get the impression that Hanifin could be in any of them NHL, AHL, or BC next year. Even if he isn't ready to go pro I think Hextall would be eager to add him, next season isn't a priority. As much as I like all of our defensemen prospects none of them has the blue chip draft pedigree that Hanifin has.

A late 1st is a small price to pay for a top pair defenseman. You just need to have the scouting to make sure the guy you're drafting hits his potential.

I'm thinking if they were to make a move like that, it could be with Arizona, because 3-7 seems equal enough that something could happen there - they want to get more picks and I think they could get the offensive player they're looking for at 7

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm thinking if they were to make a move like that, it could be with Arizona, because 3-7 seems equal enough that something could happen there - they want to get more picks and I think they could get the offensive player they're looking for at 7

I bet Zacha is the guy who would add a lot of incentive to trading down. Potential high end talent still sitting at #7 (Just hope New Jersey doesn't take him)