• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2015-16 NBA Western Conference OFFICIAL THREAD

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I DONT WANT MY TEAM TO BE PROFITABLE....I want them to spend every dime they make on the team to get it better.

See this is PRECISELY WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT---- The owners of the Lakers--- THATS THEIR REVENUE....they dont have Quicken Loans or Cruise Lines or IBM lining their pockets.....

Could you IMAGINE if Ballmer owned the Lakers and plowed back every dollar they made INTO THE TEAM?!!!!!!!!! lol

THAT SIR IS THE DIFFERENCE.

good for the Buss children...im glad the Lakers are profitable--- im glad the Buss children are making money-- BUT PERSONALLY- id rather have a billionaire owner that took all that profit and SPENT IT ON THE TEAM .

The difference is that the Lakers can spend vast amounts of money on the team and still be profitable. You make it seem like the Lakers are cheap, that they've never carried high payrolls. They had the highest payroll in the league when they were winning titles a handful of seasons ago. So, it doesn't matter that other teams, with their billionaire owners, can operate in the red. That doesn't impact what the Lakers can do.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is without a doubt a positive correlation between a franchise's spending and their winning. Thats just fact. Of course there are exceptions- but generally- in the history of the league- the teams that consistently spend more win more.

Like the Lakers?

LAD

GSAD - formally known as LAD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
again...obviously you either didnt read my post or - like i said- this is something that is just outside of your generations thinking.

Do you think Mark Cuban bought the Mavericks as a business? ITS HIS HOBBY. Do you think Dan Gilbert just really thought it was a GREAT investment- the NBA? ITS HIS HOBBY.....Stan Kroenke? All these guys

These new age owners- the type that pay 525 million for hte Milwaukee Bucks- they do it for the prestige of owning a pro sports franchise.

THEY DONT CARE IF THEY LOSE MONEY ON IT. Its about ego- its about winning. ITS NOT THAT WAY for the Buss'- they got into it decades ago as a family business. This is what they do! -although- in true nepotistic form that we have only seen rivaled by Jim Dolan in NY- this 2nd generation has done it pretty poorly thus far.....

You think Dan Gilbert or Prokorhov or Cuban CARE if they lose 30-40-50-60 million on their NBA team when they have MULTIPLE BILLIONS in the bank?

lol..you have GOT to be kidding me. The Buss' NEED the basketball business - just as most of the old school owners do- the Cavs and Mavs and Heat and Trailblazers and Clippers, Magic--- THIS IS THEIR OWNERS HOBBY.

I mean- look at it right now....Ballmer buys the Clippers- they resign all their guys- have a huge payroll and a first class organization for the first time ever!
Now I know you're an idiot. You think Mark Cuban runs and NBA FRANCHISE because he's bored????

Seriously, if he wanted to buy a business to have around as a hobby he has plenty of opportunity to do that via the Shark Tank. My goodness. He only buys businesses that will be PROFITABLE otherwise it's a waste of his time. Something he's stated many times on the show.

My goodness, you would bite off your nose just to spite your face. :crazy:

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then Spend it?

I mean - do you not realize what i am saying?

If Ballmer owned the Lakers? HE would spend every dime they made back into the team- thats not what the Buss' are doing- thats what "PROFIT means"....of course if you SPEND LESS you are going to have MORE profit.....

Because they make so much money, they don't need to. Man, you get more idiotic the further along I read this thread.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ok. well then why havent they done anything then to pull themselves out of this shit storm they have experienced the last 4 years?

i mean - isnt the proof out there on the court every night now for the last few years?

You understand that sometimes there has to be a rebuilding process right? I mean you are a Cavs fan.

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IM proven WRONG? lol...dude, are you delusional? The Cavs have the 2nd highest payroll in the history of the NBA and have spent more this year than the Lakers EVER HAVE IN THEIR HISTORY....i mean -that takes some MAJOR balls to say that with the data 100% contradictory to your argument. Freaking HILARIOUS.

outspending the Lakers because of Dan Gilberts PERSONAL wealth IS PRECISELY what the Cavs are doing! ITS WHATS HAPPENING RIGHT NOW - RIGHT UNDER YOUR NOSE! How is that not BLATANTLY obvious?! Seriously! lol....i mean, seriously think about what you just said.
So you think spending the most money on a roster that only can win a Conference Finals is something that Gilbert brags about to his peers? Just stop it.

You continue to prove day after day that attending school doesn't necessarily make someone smart.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ill tell you PRECISELY the part that I fail to grasp about the salary cap---- YOU ARE ALLOWED TO GO OVER IT AND THE RICHEST OWNERS LIKE GILBERT DO!

they spend hugely over the cap to give themselves the best chance to win.

So have the Lakers :L

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if that Golden State game really gives the Cavs a renewed focus to move the ball and involve Love- like we have seen thus far- i think itll be a positive in the long term.

Watching the Cavs games it was clear they were getting by on talent a lot of nights and running way too much ISO...they needed a little wakeup call....lets hope this ball movement continues.
Just 7 months ago you swore out the Cavs were better than the Dubs. Now you're hoping the Cavs can 'LEARN' from the Dubs??? Freaking hilarious!

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So have the Lakers :L
Because they make so much money, they don't need to. Man, you get more idiotic the further along I read this thread.
ohh yah- you are right...no way the Lakers could benefit from spending more money- and its not like the only way to spend money is to bring in guys to help this year.

Do what the Cavs did- or OKC did- or what Philly is doing (to a certain extent, haha)- find a team trying to get rid of a bad contract that is trying tosave money and cut payroll and offer to take that guy (and then cut him if u want for all it matters) in order to get a good young player or draft pick---- thats what the Cavs did....IN FACT- we helped the Lakers out and took bad salary from them- and gave u sessions for a 1st rounder AND teh ability to swap first rounders. The Cavs took 40 million worth of Baron Davis contract in order to get a lotto pick- and then amnestied him and cut him a 40million dollar check.

just dont do NOTHING like Jim Buss has done for the most part.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The difference is that the Lakers can spend vast amounts of money on the team and still be profitable. You make it seem like the Lakers are cheap, that they've never carried high payrolls. They had the highest payroll in the league when they were winning titles a handful of seasons ago. So, it doesn't matter that other teams, with their billionaire owners, can operate in the red. That doesn't impact what the Lakers can do.
they just havent in the new cba where the penatlies are insane. Thats why i think it will be so interesting to see if they do going forward

and seirously- this was gone into at extremes yesterday- not trying to recreate it today.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ohh yah- you are right...no way the Lakers could benefit from spending more money- and its not like the only way to spend money is to bring in guys to help this year.

Do what the Cavs did- or OKC did- or what Philly is doing (to a certain extent, haha)- find a team trying to get rid of a bad contract that is trying tosave money and cut payroll and offer to take that guy (and then cut him if u want for all it matters) in order to get a good young player or draft pick---- thats what the Cavs did....IN FACT- we helped the Lakers out and took bad salary from them- and gave u sessions for a 1st rounder AND teh ability to swap first rounders. The Cavs took 40 million worth of Baron Davis contract in order to get a lotto pick- and then amnestied him and cut him a 40million dollar check.

just dont do NOTHING like Jim Buss has done for the most part.

Last season they took on Jeremy Lin along with Houston's 1st rounder. That pick was used on Larry Nance Jr. who looks like he can develop into a solid NBA player. Try again fool.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last season they took on Jeremy Lin along with Houston's 1st rounder. That pick was used on Larry Nance Jr. who looks like he can develop into a solid NBA player. Try again fool.
THAT WAS GOOD! thats one time you got ONE pick that was in the 20's! they should be doing that as much as they possibly CAN!

i mean- unless you think they are good with just getting Larry Nance Jr.....lol

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they just havent in the new cba where the penatlies are insane. Thats why i think it will be so interesting to see if they do going forward

and seirously- this was gone into at extremes yesterday- not trying to recreate it today.

Really insane once you are hit with the repeater tax. History shows that the Lakers have no problem paying large luxury tax bills.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
THAT WAS GOOD! thats one time you got ONE pick that was in the 20's! they should be doing that as much as they possibly CAN!

i mean- unless you think they are good with just getting Larry Nance Jr.....lol

You make it seem like these opportunities are a dime a dozen. Quit being a fool.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You make it seem like these opportunities are a dime a dozen. Quit being a fool.
Philly has pulled it off literally half a dozen times- the most recent they got Stauskas and some really valuable draft picks from the Kings JUST for taking some bad salary....

The Cavs did this numerous times- with the Lakers, with the Griz, with the Clippers...

OKC did this numerous times with the Jazz, Suns, Celtics,

thats how you jump start a rebuild.

imagine if you guys would have done that deal with the Kings isntead of the Sixers
The Sixers got 3 players and a 1st-round pick for nothing in one of the most lopsided NBA trades ever

....lets just look at it...
the Sixers had to take Carl Landry, Jason Thompson.....for doing that they got Stauskas- a lotto pick from just a couple years ago that could develop into a great 3rd guard off the bench to stretch the floor, a future 1st round pick, and the right to swap TWO future first round picks.

Now- imagine if the Lakers just didnt sign Brandon Bass- and gave Thompson OR Landry that job....Thompson and Landry are expiring too- so its not even like you would have clogged up the cap for next year!!!!!--- the Lakers hving a Kings first rounder, and the right to SWAP twice with the Kings in the future---and a potential good young prospect in Stauskas....

but Jimmy Buss has his thumb up his ass chasing free agents that dont want to go there since the team is not ready to win.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A few examples doesn't mean that these opportunities are abundant.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really insane once you are hit with the repeater tax. History shows that the Lakers have no problem paying large luxury tax bills.
A few examples doesn't mean that these opportunities are abundant.
if you think that getting one mid-twenties pick is all the Lakers could have pulled off during this whole rebuilding process that is now multiple years then you are certainly welcome to that opinion.

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Philly has pulled it off literally half a dozen times- the most recent they got Stauskas and some really valuable draft picks from the Kings JUST for taking some bad salary....

The Cavs did this numerous times- with the Lakers, with the Griz, with the Clippers...

OKC did this numerous times with the Jazz, Suns, Celtics,

thats how you jump start a rebuild.

imagine if you guys would have done that deal with the Kings isntead of the Sixers
The Sixers got 3 players and a 1st-round pick for nothing in one of the most lopsided NBA trades ever

....lets just look at it...
the Sixers had to take Carl Landry, Jason Thompson.....for doing that they got Stauskas- a lotto pick from just a couple years ago that could develop into a great 3rd guard off the bench to stretch the floor, a future 1st round pick, and the right to swap TWO future first round picks.

Now- imagine if the Lakers just didnt sign Brandon Bass- and gave Thompson OR Landry that job....Thompson and Landry are expiring too- so its not even like you would have clogged up the cap for next year!!!!!--- the Lakers hving a Kings first rounder, and the right to SWAP twice with the Kings in the future---and a potential good young prospect in Stauskas....

but Jimmy Buss has his thumb up his ass chasing free agents that dont want to go there since the team is not ready to win.
And that's worked out well for Philly because they're a top team, right? Just stop it already or at least find some examples that DON'T contradict your point.

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now I know you're an idiot. You think Mark Cuban runs and NBA FRANCHISE because he's bored????

Seriously, if he wanted to buy a business to have around as a hobby he has plenty of opportunity to do that via the Shark Tank. My goodness. He only buys businesses that will be PROFITABLE otherwise it's a waste of his time. Something he's stated many times on the show.

My goodness, you would bite off your nose just to spite your face. :crazy:

was gonna bring this up yesterday. glad YOU did. Wiggy's somehow claiming that these super rich owners with the majority of their money coming from OUTSIDE of basketball only are doing it like it's just some type of hobby, yet their ego's are SOOOOO huge that they throw millions away to win 'ships...

DO tell me how that works...?

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if you think that getting one mid-twenties pick is all the Lakers could have pulled off during this whole rebuilding process that is now multiple years then you are certainly welcome to that opinion.

It easy to say that they should have done this or could have done that when you really have no idea what discussions the front office has had with other teams. Just because one team made a trade doesn't mean that trade was available to all other teams in the NBA. It's a lot more complicated process than you seem to think.

Realistically, they are only a couple of years into this rebuild. It only really started after the failed reload with D12 and Nash.