• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2015-16 NBA Eastern Conference OFFICIAL THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When Tyronn Lue was just the defensive coordinator and associate head coach to David Blatt, the Cavs were tied for ninth in defensive field-goal percentage. They ranked fifth in defensive rating, which measures how many points teams allow per 100 possessions.

In Lue’s 28 games as a head coach, the Cavs rank 19th in defensive field-goal percentage and 15th in defensive rating. They are allowing teams six more points per 100 possessions than they were with Lue as defensive coordinator.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The last 2 nights proved that Wiggy will always be a coward.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very impressive performance from the Heat. They deserve the attention of everyone in the East, most of all the Cavs.

I actually thought the game was much more about the Heat playing really well than the Cavs playing bad. Johnson and Richardson have really added outside shooting which seems to be all the Heat offense needed.

Other than Love getting in foul trouble with a couple of dumb fouls and poor outside shooting in the 1st half... I actually thought the Cavs played pretty well... especially in the 1st half. Their failure to respond in the 3rd quarter was disappointing... but had a lot to do with the Heat delivering another offensive blow right away.

I am hoping the Raptors and Heat finish 2-3 so the Cavs only have to face 1 of them. And if I'm being honest... I'm more scared of the Heat than the Raptors at this point.

The Heat have the personnel to create problems for the Cavs in a playoff series. As you mentioned, getting Joe Johnson and having Richardson step up shored up the weakness that was 3-point shooting. Also, playing Deng at the 4 was one of the best moves that Spoelstra lucked into that I can remember.

Still though, if it comes down to a playoff series, the Cavs still have the clear cut best player in the league on their side - Lebron James. If Bosh comes back (and I doubt he comes back this season), it makes things interesting. But right now, I'd have to say Cleveland in a tough 6-game series.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When Tyronn Lue was just the defensive coordinator and associate head coach to David Blatt, the Cavs were tied for ninth in defensive field-goal percentage. They ranked fifth in defensive rating, which measures how many points teams allow per 100 possessions.

In Lue’s 28 games as a head coach, the Cavs rank 19th in defensive field-goal percentage and 15th in defensive rating. They are allowing teams six more points per 100 possessions than they were with Lue as defensive coordinator.

That's certainly a drop off. Although I'd like to see the Cavs offensive stats (more specifically how many possessions they're getting now compared to the rest of the league). However, FG percentage is pretty damning, especially considering that we now have a 28-game sample size - which is more than enough to judge on. As history will confirm, if you're not in the top 10 in defensive efficiency, you're not winning a title.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The last 2 nights proved that Wiggy will always be a coward.

He's just a front runner.
Meaning, if whatever team he is currently rooting for isn't winning, he won't watch ( short term) or will just switch teams ( long term).
Then, he'll beat his chest and serenade us with 1000 word posts if 'that' team is winning.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Heat have the personnel to create problems for the Cavs in a playoff series. As you mentioned, getting Joe Johnson and having Richardson step up shored up the weakness that was 3-point shooting. Also, playing Deng at the 4 was one of the best moves that Spoelstra lucked into that I can remember.

Still though, if it comes down to a playoff series, the Cavs still have the clear cut best player in the league on their side - Lebron James. If Bosh comes back (and I doubt he comes back this season), it makes things interesting. But right now, I'd have to say Cleveland in a tough 6-game series.

That's certainly a drop off. Although I'd like to see the Cavs offensive stats (more specifically how many possessions they're getting now compared to the rest of the league). However, FG percentage is pretty damning, especially considering that we now have a 28-game sample size - which is more than enough to judge on. As history will confirm, if you're not in the top 10 in defensive efficiency, you're not winning a title.

There was more to the article basically stating that they are playing at a faster pace under Lue.
IMO, offense never was the Cavs problem. It was defense.
Lues system makes the defense worse, so I don't see how that makes them better in as far as winning a championship.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You got me curious. According to this, all but 2 of the last 16 championship teams ranked in the top 11 in both offensive and defensive efficiency. ('04 Pistons ranked 17th in offense, '01 Lakers ranked 18th on defense. )

Using this criteria, according to espn's rankings on offensive and defensive efficiency ... the teams who can win a title this year are...

Team (offense rank & defense rank)
  • San Antonio (3rd and 1st)
  • Golden State (1st and 4th)
  • Cleveland (4th and 9th)
  • Clippers (6th and 7th)
  • Toronto (5th and 11th)
  • Charlotte (10th and 8th)

If we only look at POST-ALL-STAR numbers (much smaller sample size... but not incredibly small).... It looks like this...
  • San Antonio (9th and 2nd)
  • Golden State (1st and 11th)
  • Miami (5th and 7th)
  • Charlotte (7th and 6th)

• Toronto (2nd and 14th)
  • Cleveland (4th and 13th)
  • Clippers (13th and 9th)

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You got me curious. According to this, all but 2 of the last 16 championship teams ranked in the top 11 in both offensive and defensive efficiency. ('04 Pistons ranked 17th in offense, '01 Lakers ranked 18th on defense. )

Using this criteria, according to espn's rankings on offensive and defensive efficiency ... the teams who can win a title this year are...

Team (offense rank & defense rank)
  • San Antonio (3rd and 1st)
  • Golden State (1st and 4th)
  • Cleveland (4th and 9th)
  • Clippers (6th and 7th)
  • Toronto (5th and 11th)
  • Charlotte (10th and 8th)

If we only look at POST-ALL-STAR numbers (much smaller sample size... but not incredibly small).... It looks like this...
  • San Antonio (9th and 2nd)
  • Golden State (1st and 11th)
  • Miami (5th and 7th)
  • Charlotte (7th and 6th)

• Toronto (2nd and 14th)
  • Cleveland (4th and 13th)
  • Clippers (13th and 9th)

And Cleveland will certainly have a shot to win the title. When you have Lebron, anything is certainly possible. However, the reason I believe it won't happen is because Cleveland isn't going to be playing an average western conference title team. What Golden St. and San Antonio are doing this season is historic. These are really good teams with very little weaknesses.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And Cleveland will certainly have a shot to win the title. When you have Lebron, anything is certainly possible. However, the reason I believe it won't happen is because Cleveland isn't going to be playing an average western conference title team. What Golden St. and San Antonio are doing this season is historic. These are really good teams with very little weaknesses.

Plus, you can probably chalk up some of GSW's struggles over the first 3 or so games of last years finals to nerves from never having been in a championship series before. This year, it won't be an issue and of course, we know all about the Spurs experience.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, I wasn't trying to make a case for Cleveland, I was just curious to see who would come out in the top-10 on both.

I was surprised to see how solid Charlotte is. Also, Miami's rankings since the ASB are very impressive.

A little surprised to see the Warriors defense and Spurs offense take significant drops since the ASB.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I wasn't trying to make a case for Cleveland, I was just curious to see who would come out in the top-10 on both.

I was surprised to see how solid Charlotte is. Also, Miami's rankings since the ASB are very impressive.

A little surprised to see the Warriors defense and Spurs offense take significant drops since the ASB.
these are the dog-days of the NBA season- Feb/March.....the playoffs are what? about a month away? a little mor than a month away? Lets just hope the Cavs stay healthy- and can get to the playoffs with A. everyone healthy and B. a fairly standard rotation.....the playoff rotation should shorten up since the starters will be playing bigger minutes- I think that will be Lue's biggest challenge considering guys like JEfferson and Frye- have been shooting really well of late....

Id give LeBron as much rest as possible---- and keep Kyrie's work load fairly light as well- once Mo comes back get him some run to get him ready

If LeBron is well rested and ready to go- while the rest of these teams are fighting over position, etc.- that should help....

As I have said- its very important that Kyrie has been playing well after starting slow for his 2 weeks of december and about 3 weeks of january- but since then hes been pretty darn good......

the MOST important thing by far though is what kind of shape LeBron is in- and from anyone that has watched him at all this year knows that he looks head and shoulders better physically this year than where he was last year- and that should be BIG TIME for the Cavs.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
these are the dog-days of the NBA season- Feb/March.....the playoffs are what? about a month away? a little mor than a month away? Lets just hope the Cavs stay healthy- and can get to the playoffs with A. everyone healthy and B. a fairly standard rotation.....the playoff rotation should shorten up since the starters will be playing bigger minutes- I think that will be Lue's biggest challenge considering guys like JEfferson and Frye- have been shooting really well of late....

Id give LeBron as much rest as possible---- and keep Kyrie's work load fairly light as well- once Mo comes back get him some run to get him ready

If LeBron is well rested and ready to go- while the rest of these teams are fighting over position, etc.- that should help....

As I have said- its very important that Kyrie has been playing well after starting slow for his 2 weeks of december and about 3 weeks of january- but since then hes been pretty darn good......

the MOST important thing by far though is what kind of shape LeBron is in- and from anyone that has watched him at all this year knows that he looks head and shoulders better physically this year than where he was last year- and that should be BIG TIME for the Cavs.

The Cavs can get all the rest they want.

But, the fact that Kyrie can't even guard his own shadow and Love is a mental midget will be the Cavs downfall.

Again, ECF is the Cavs floor..Imo......However, getting past the Heat is very much in question.

But, you have zero chance against the Spurs bigs or The Warriors small ball if those guys don't find their balls.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Rest of teams fighting for position?
Last I looked, the Cavs had a whopping 1 game lead over Toronto.
Not sure how they will weigh the importance of the 1 seed vs rest,but it's clearly looking like it will be tight to the end.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Cavs can get all the rest they want.

But, the fact that Kyrie can't even guard his own shadow and Love is a mental midget will be the Cavs downfall.

Again, ECF is the Cavs floor..Imo......However, getting past the Heat is very much in question.

But, you have zero chance against the Spurs bigs or The Warriors small ball if those guys don't find their balls.

Cavs chances boil down to how many 3s they can hit.
If they go cold for a few games even in rounds 2 or 3, they could lose.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who else finds it funny that Wiggy refuses to acknowledge the game on Saturday night?

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who else finds it funny that Wiggy refuses to acknowledge the game on Saturday night?

Doesn't matter.
'Dog days of season'.
It prob really doesn't matter, but it was a major ass kicking, and you can bet your life if the result was opposite he'd have made a dozen posts about it.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesn't matter.
'Dog days of season'.
It prob really doesn't matter, but it was a major ass kicking, and you can bet your life if the result was opposite he'd have made a dozen posts about it.

Lebron seems pissed off. He skipped interviews after shootaround for the first time in 2 years

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Makes sense... only thing to lose is homecourt advantage in ECF IF the Raptors get there (Which is no guarantee). Seeds 3-8 is very much in flex so who knows if the 4,5,7 seeds will be any easier than the 2,3,6 seeds.

I'd rather seem him prioritize playing well over rest over seed race, though.
well thats why they got rid of Blatt--- Blatt was trying to win every single game no matter what- Lue is not trying to eek out every single regular season win- hes focused on building a system- and he knows that during that process there are going to be some tough times but that in the end they will be better for it in the long run.

Its been a long wait since last June for this years playoffs and we are almost there. There is nothing that the Cavs could have done from October to April that would wash the bad taste out of their mouths from last offseason- There is nothing the Cavs could have done from October to April that they were not expected to do....

The REAL basketball season in Cleveland starts in about a month. CANT WAIT.

Lets just hope and pray that the Cavs get a little luck this post season after getting some really bad luck last post season.

Status
Not open for further replies.