• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Top Prospects

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fresno Grizzlies catcher Andrew Susac is probably the hottest hitter in the PCL right now, hitting .476 with just one strikeout in 23 at-bats.

Just sayin.....:whistle:

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fresno Grizzlies catcher Andrew Susac is probably the hottest hitter in the PCL right now, hitting .476 with just one strikeout in 23 at-bats.

Just sayin.....:whistle:

I had a friend in college who had a hall-pass list with his (then) fiancé, and Bret Favre was on HIS list.

That is nothing compared to your feelings about Susac, tz.

Just sayin...

:bj:

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His power numbers went UP in a promotion to AA Richmond last year, which is very unusual for your typical prospect coming from the hitters-friendly Cal League. He's showing the world that he's not your typical hitting prospect. He's poised for a BIG year in Fresno.

My favorite thing about him is that he looks exactly like Posey in the batters box.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big blow to the system today. So, Mac Williamson has been dealing with elbow issues so far this season, which is why he was held back in San Jose because he couldn't throw. In SJ, there is a DH while in most AA parks (Richmond included), the pitchers hit.

Mac left a game early this weekend and was sent to extended Spring Training where they discovered that he might need Tommy John surgery on his bum elbow. The recovery isn't the same as a pitcher, guys usually come back sooner as position players, but it would most certainly end his minor league season.

I was expecting a lot from Mac this season. Also, 2 of our top hitting prospects are now out the whole year, first Gustavo Cabrera and now Mac.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The good news is that a lot of guys are off to good starts, including Gary Brown (.355 OBP) Joe Panik, Andrew Susac (though currently injured), Heath Hembree, Clayton Blackburn, Derek Law, Adalberto Mejia, Joan Gregorio, Keury Mella, and Christian Jones (Sko Ducks) among others.

Edwin Escobar's last 2 starts: 11.1 IP, 5H, 1ER, 2BB, 11Ks. He was getting hit around his first few starts, but he's looking better lately.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just saw that about Mac. That really hurts.

TJ is very rare for pos players, isn't it? I cannot think of any off the top of head who went through this. Did FLew have TJ?

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just saw that about Mac. That really hurts.

TJ is very rare for pos players, isn't it? I cannot think of any off the top of head who went through this. Did FLew have TJ?

Carl Crawford went through it in his last year with the Red Sox. I think he had the operation in July, or August, and was ready by Opening Day.

Besides him, I can't think of any. Maybe worth looking up.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the first list I found, on BB reference. I don't know if this includes minor leaguers or not (I included Miguel Sano myself, he just went through it this March).

Notice Canseco.

Roberto Alomar
Rocco Baldelli
Jay Buhner
José Canseco (the injury was caused during a pitching appearance)
Shin-Soo Choo
Trace Coquillette
Carl Crawford
Ben Davis
Rafael Furcal
Craig Gentry
Luis Gonzalez
Rusty Greer
José Guillén
Brad Hawpe
J.R. House
Todd Hundley
César Izturis
Trey Lunsford
Kelly Johnson
Carlos Martínez
Justin Maxwell
Xavier Nady (twice)
Ray Olmedo
Jay Payton (twice)
Miguel Sano
Luke Scott
Taylor Teagarden
Tony Womack

Tommy John surgery - BR Bullpen

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2014 San Francisco Giants Minor League Affiliations - Baseball-Reference.com

Baseball Reference has a consolidated listing (above link) of all our players in the minors. If you sort the pitchers by, for example, ERA, you can get a good idea of how the prospects are doing. Same for the batters if you sort by, say, OPS.

Obviously, there is more to a prospect than just one metric. But some interesting possibilities arise, including some names I haven't seen mentioned here much if at all.

To generalize, there appear to be some pitchers in the mid- to high-minors with good metrics (Derek Law, Runzler, Jack Snodgrass, Steven Okert, Jason Berken). Among the hitters, no eye-popping stats, but there are a trio of guys at SJ I haven't seen mentioned - Elliot Blair (LF), Mitchell Delfino (3B), and Blake Miller (SS). All have an OPS of around .870.

I don't know much about these guys (other than Runzler a little bit), but I'd be curious if anyone else here does.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2014 San Francisco Giants Minor League Affiliations - Baseball-Reference.com

Baseball Reference has a consolidated listing (above link) of all our players in the minors. If you sort the pitchers by, for example, ERA, you can get a good idea of how the prospects are doing. Same for the batters if you sort by, say, OPS.

Obviously, there is more to a prospect than just one metric. But some interesting possibilities arise, including some names I haven't seen mentioned here much if at all.

To generalize, there appear to be some pitchers in the mid- to high-minors with good metrics (Derek Law, Runzler, Jack Snodgrass, Steven Okert, Jason Berken). Among the hitters, no eye-popping stats, but there are a trio of guys at SJ I haven't seen mentioned - Elliot Blair (LF), Mitchell Delfino (3B), and Blake Miller (SS). All have an OPS of around .870.

I don't know much about these guys (other than Runzler a little bit), but I'd be curious if anyone else here does.

Law has been mentioned here quite a bit, and to a lessor extent, so has Okert. Berken was a minor league FA who had a very nice ST. His name was in the mix till pretty late for the long-man spot. Snodgrass is a guy who has moved along, but I haven't seen him mentioned much in prospect lists.

Delfino and Miller have been on the fringes of prospect lists for a year or so. They are obviously moving up those lists with their performances this year (Delfino more-so). I think Blair is just a guy who is playing well. I don't expect anything from him.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Law has been mentioned here quite a bit, and to a lessor extent, so has Okert. Berken was a minor league FA who had a very nice ST. His name was in the mix till pretty late for the long-man spot. Snodgrass is a guy who has moved along, but I haven't seen him mentioned much in prospect lists.

Delfino and Miller have been on the fringes of prospect lists for a year or so. They are obviously moving up those lists with their performances this year (Delfino more-so). I think Blair is just a guy who is playing well. I don't expect anything from him.

So other than maybe some relievers, I don't see many prospects here ready to move up yet.

Panik is doing OK (.805 OPS, and almost 1/1 BB/K, but that's Fresno).

Our only ranked guy per BaseballProspectus, Crick, is struggling (4.60 ERA, with more BBs than IPs).

Tyler Graham, OF in AA, has an .874 OPS, with 12/14 SBs. But he's 30.

Villalona has a .765 OPS in AA, but also 32Ks in 119 PAs.

Jesus Galindo CF in SJ has some possibilities with an .840 OPS and some gap power. I don't know if a .150 point jump in his OPS over previous years is as good as it might seem (PEDs?).

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Galindo has always been on the radar of the prospect hounds, so don't poopoo his numbers. A breakout is a distinct possibility.

AnVil is a K guy. Don't be disheartened by that. He is a light-tower-power guy. His contact rates are encouraging and he has an extra option year (I think '16 is his MLB year, IIANM).

Panik and Brown are both doing well, and they both play positions of need. I can almost guarantee that they will both get, at least, their cuppo's ths year.

As for the pitching...

Um...

Yea...

Next topic...

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In Fresno, Berken, Panik and Brown are doing well (as mentioned). Also, Hembree is looking good, and Bochy too.

In Richmond, I like Graham and Parker for the hitters; Blach, Blackburn, and Crick have all been meh so far. Law is the only standout.

In San Jose, Gallindo, Delfino, Miller, and Blair are looking good; Okert and Mizenko are pitching well. Unfortunately, Williamson in on the DL with TJ surgery.

Finally, Augusta. Horan is hitting well. Johnson and Lujan have put together some nice starts, and the bullpen features three guys to watch: Slania, Smith, and Castillo.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Um, why is nobody mentioning Susac and Duvall in Fresno ?!!?

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Um, why is nobody mentioning Susac and Duvall in Fresno ?!!?

Because they were about ALL we've been talking about the last month or so. I wanted to take a more comprehensive look at everyone's stats so far.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And, Susac is on the DL with a concussion.

VASFfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Blach, Blackburn, and Crick have all been meh so far.

Whoa. You must be a tough grader. Blackburn has a sub-3.00 ERA, Blach has a sub-2.00 ERA. That's "meh"?

But yeah, Crick's still the pitcher who couldn't throw straight.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Galindo has always been on the radar of the prospect hounds, so don't poopoo his numbers. A breakout is a distinct possibility.

AnVil is a K guy. Don't be disheartened by that. He is a light-tower-power guy. His contact rates are encouraging and he has an extra option year (I think '16 is his MLB year, IIANM).

Panik and Brown are both doing well, and they both play positions of need. I can almost guarantee that they will both get, at least, their cuppo's ths year.

As for the pitching...

Um...

Yea...

Next topic...

Looking at Brown's yearly stats, he had that phenomenal year at SJ, but has been mediocre otherwise:

Gary Brown Minor League Statistics & History - Baseball-Reference.com

I'm wondering if I'm looking at a 'roids profile here. His 2011 year was great with a .925 OPS, and he even stole 53/72 bases. All his other years average .200-.250 LESS on his OPS, and his SBs and SB% go way down as well.

I know a lot of people here are high on Brown, but IMO he needs to put up some better numbers pretty quick. He's at a .725 OPS this year in Fresno, after .660 last year, and only 5/9 on SBs. Not MLB prospect numbers.