• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Top Prospects

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, the original statement was "the Giants tend to want to jump guys straight from AA to the majors", not "the Giants don't tend to use AAA much to develop pitchers". There is quite a difference between the two.

But that isn't my point either. My point is that the Giants just don't really develop that many "rotation mainstays". I count three : Cain, Lincecum, and MadBum. In 10+ years, just 3 "rotation mainstays" isn't a great record. Well, except that those three have been pretty damn good. (I might make it 3.5, if you count Lowry and J Sanchez as "back of the rotation filler" for 1/2 a pitcher total.)

The Giants DO use AAA to develop pitchers. Most of the pitchers they develop (at any level) just aren't that great. Besides the 3 afore-mentioned, only Romo and Wilson come to mind as the only other really good pitchers they've developed in the last 10 years (and the previous great pitcher they developed they screwed the pooch on - Joe Nathan - but that was 15 years or so ago). Actually, even going back 15 years I can't think of any other great starting pitchers they developed.

You bring up some good points, re the last 10 years (since we lost the 2004 WS, when I think the org philosophy changed to "all pitching, all the time").

1. Rotation mainstays: I count 6 (Lowry, Cain, Timmy, JSan, Bum, Tron). We can quibble, but I think 3 years in a row with 20+ starts counts. We can also quibble about Tron since he was a reclamation project, but we did originally draft him and bring him back. That counts for me, maybe not for you.
2. Total seasons over the last 9 years: 29 by homegrown SPs (out of 45 possible). That's pretty incredible and I doubt any other org can claim as many seasons in that timeframe. Cain has 8, Timmy 7, Sanchez and Bum 4, Lowry and Tron 3. So, in 9 years thats almost 2/3 of the SP slots filled internally...again, I'm not sure you'd find a better record by any org (maybe the Rays?).
3. Back to my main point: Let me clarify -- in the last 9 years, the Giants don't tend to use AAA to develop starting pitchers. The SPs who have spent significant time there tended to not be very good, with a couple of exceptions. Sorry if I wasn't clear about what I was getting at -- I am looking at an organizational philosophy that has developed over the last decade. The trend is pretty clear: the Giants are filling the rotation with largely homegrown talent and that talent spends very little time in AAA. This may change moving forward as it seems we are stacked with SP talent and as that talent pushes up the chain there will be an org need to stockpile at Fresno in a year or two.

Good times on the horizon for sure. Completely different for RP; I think the Giants have and will continue to use AAA to develop the bullpen arms. We shall see how successful that will be.

Giantsmojo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just a list

1. Crick RHP
2. Escobar LHP
3. Mejia LHP
4. Susac C
5. Arroyo SS
6. Blackburn RHP
7. Williamson RF
8. Blach LHP
9. Stratton RHP
10. Agosto RHP

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just noticed that the G's have 2 MLB top 100 prospects...

32) Kyle Crick

95) Edwin Escobar

I would have liked to see Mac and/or Susac get some love, but I can't really argue their exclusion at this point. Next year, we could have a slew of top 100s. Barring graduations and (obviously) complete bomb-outs, I expect...

Crick
Escobar
Susac
Williamson
Cabrera
Flores

...to get some consideration. Maybe Stratton, if the reports that he was purely working on situational issues in '13 which explained his bad numbers. He could have a real breakout this year if those reports are all true.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt it on Cabrera, he's probably not even going to play professionally after his gruesome hand injury. Sounds like he'll be out awhile.

And I cannot explain how Susac is not getting any national attention. For being an offensive catcher who has shown huge improvements in his defense, he's barley on the radar. Kid could move Posey off the position very soon, or he'll find a new position himself (or new home, sorry tzill).

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt it on Cabrera, he's probably not even going to play professionally after his gruesome hand injury. Sounds like he'll be out awhile.

And I cannot explain how Susac is not getting any national attention. For being an offensive catcher who has shown huge improvements in his defense, he's barley on the radar. Kid could move Posey off the position very soon, or he'll find a new position himself (or new home, sorry tzill).

:wtf2::wtf2:

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

To me, that sounds like a rye comment on your part. To point out the obvious flax, he did hit for power and improve his game last year. I mean, he never misses those can-o-corn plays, and although he doesn't have a high average, it's not at all as if he makes nothing but oats at the plate. Of course, there's no guarantee that he'll be a superstar, like Rice was with the 49ers. But it's not too farro out to hope that he could be a solid contributor. Deciding when to call him up is the team's job; they'll have to millet over. I just hope we don't have to wheat too long before we see him make his first major league appearance.

Obviously, some of you are going to take this post with a grain of salt.

(I certainly hope I've spelt everything properly ...)

:behindsofa:

(Obviously it's slow morning for me ... :yahoo:

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me, that sounds like a rye comment on your part. To point out the obvious flax, he did hit for power and improve his game last year. I mean, he never misses those can-o-corn plays, and although he doesn't have a high average, it's not at all as if he makes nothing but oats at the plate. Of course, there's no guarantee that he'll be a superstar, like Rice was with the 49ers. But it's not too farro out to hope that he could be a solid contributor. Deciding when to call him up is the team's job; they'll have to millet over. I just hope we don't have to wheat too long before we see him make his first major league appearance.

And he brings his lunch pail to work every day...

Right, SYM? ;)

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Because you have chosen to go with the grain instead of against it, all you've done is post a lot of crop.

Aye, laddie.

:suds:

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well played, sir. :stephena:

A very quinoa assessment.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

A reluctant thumbs up from me, but you have a way with words. I have to admillet.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2014 top 14 prospects:

Top 14 in ?14: San Francisco Giants |

They project Escobar and Brown up this year. Crick, Susser, Mejia, Williamson, Blach, Agosta up next year.

I was especially encouraged by the take on Susser -- top C prospect in all of baseball.

Also, Gregorio is very exciting, but 3 years away.

I think the 2015 rotation will be Bum/Cain/Timmy/Huddy/Escobar
and the 2016 rotation could be Bum/Cain/Escobar/Crick/Mejia -- 3 lefties!

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2014 top 14 prospects:

Top 14 in ?14: San Francisco Giants |

They project Escobar and Brown up this year. Crick, Susser, Mejia, Williamson, Blach, Agosta up next year.

I was especially encouraged by the take on Susser -- top C prospect in all of baseball.

Also, Gregorio is very exciting, but 3 years away.

I think the 2015 rotation will be Bum/Cain/Timmy/Huddy/Escobar
and the 2016 rotation could be Bum/Cain/Escobar/Crick/Mejia -- 3 lefties!

Likey. Buster to 2B with Joe Panik as the best young super utility in baseball?

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Likey. Buster to 2B with Joe Panik as the best young super utility in baseball?

3B I can see for Buster but a big galumphing guy like that doesn't seem like the type to handle a middle infield position, turning DPs, etc.

He's even bigger/slower than Jeff Kent and he was adequate at best at 2B

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3B I can see for Buster but a big galumphing guy like that doesn't seem like the type to handle a middle infield position, turning DPs, etc.

He's even bigger/slower than Jeff Kent and he was adequate at best at 2B

I don't think he would be fantastic at it, but I'm certain, after an offseason of grounders, Buster can provide similar range to Scoots. Trust me. I'd rather him be at third base, too (hate the idea of "wasting" his arm), but if I'm going to comment on tzill's hypothetical rotation, I have to respond with his hypothetically available position players. In that world, Panda has an extension and Susac is untouchable. Also, Buster Posey is a better athlete and smarter baseball player than Jeff Kent. What Buster lacks in lateral quickness, he more than makes up for with positioning, study and knowledge. I don't doubt that Kent loves and studied baseball, but few have made the game their life's purpose as much as one Gerald Dempsey Posey. I legitimately believe he could be an average (or better) major leaguer at any position. SS, CF and RF might be a bit of an adventure (and never will be attempted), but league average range at 2B is well within his abilities.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think he would be fantastic at it, but I'm certain, after an offseason of grounders, Buster can provide similar range to Scoots. Trust me. I'd rather him be at third base, too (hate the idea of "wasting" his arm), but if I'm going to comment on tzill's hypothetical rotation, I have to respond with his hypothetically available position players. In that world, Panda has an extension and Susac is untouchable. Also, Buster Posey is a better athlete and smarter baseball player than Jeff Kent. What Buster lacks in lateral quickness, he more than makes up for with positioning, study and knowledge. I don't doubt that Kent loves and studied baseball, but few have made the game their life's purpose as much as one Gerald Dempsey Posey. I legitimately believe he could be an average (or better) major leaguer at any position. SS, CF and RF might be a bit of an adventure (and never will be attempted), but league average range at 2B is well within his abilities.

:nod::nod:

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not sure Le Grope would agree