• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Top Prospects

GiantsPackersChamps2011

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will try and find the article. But BR's featured MLB Draft writer LOVED the Giants pick of Austin Slater. Called it one of the biggest Day 2 steals (also mentioned he could be moved to the infield)

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is way early for any "official" lists, but DrB is SOOO excited about Beede that he is placing him as our overall #1 right now. He did not talk about Beede much pre draft because he did not figure there was any chance he would fall to us.

In the comments on his page, most look at the combination of Beede and Garcia in the first two rounds as a sign that both Crick and Susac are VERY much available for a big July trade (Samardja specifically).

Hmmm...lots and lots of speculation here that, IMO, when taken together, I don't see all the pieces falling in place for this to happen:

1) Beede and Garcia being locks to succeed so as to make Crick and Susac expendable - Beede just got rocked in the biggest game of his career by a bunch of college boys. He's a #14 pick. They will have all kinds of opportunity to fail in the coming years. Let's not get ahead of ourselves on how good they are going to be. Just look at Arroyo so far this year.

2) If we get Samardzija, one of our starters has to exit the rotation. Move Timmeh to the Pen? Maybe. But it's one thing in the 2012 postseason to HAVE to make that decision (which was quite clear cut at the time), and another thing to do that in midseason. What impact would that have on our vaunted "chemistry"? Are we really going to have a long-reliever/spot starter making $17.5 mm/yr?

3) Susac is emerging at C at a time when we are seriously and obviously considering moving Posey elsewhere, like 1B. There are no other catchers in the org other than Sanchez. Trading Susac gruesomely weakens a critical position.

4) Samardzija is certainly pitching very well right now, but his history looks more like a back-end rotation kind of guy, and for only a year or two at that. Are we really going to scramble many key aspects of the org for that? We have a 9.5 game lead with what we have, and if the playoffs were tomorrow, we already have 4 other quality starters right now. Would Samardzija really be a worthwhile upgrade over one of those 4 for the playoffs?

5) Are we really going to outbid the market, specifically the Yankees, for a guy having a career, one-off string of games?

In sum, can one or two of the points above be overcome to justify the organizational upheaval of a blockbuster deal? Sure. All five? Very unlikely. Fun to think about, but very unlikely. IMHO.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmmm...lots and lots of speculation here that, IMO, when taken together, I don't see all the pieces falling in place for this to happen:

1) Beede and Garcia being locks to succeed so as to make Crick and Susac expendable - Beede just got rocked in the biggest game of his career by a bunch of college boys. He's a #14 pick. They will have all kinds of opportunity to fail in the coming years. Let's not get ahead of ourselves on how good they are going to be. Just look at Arroyo so far this year.

2) If we get Samardzija, one of our starters has to exit the rotation. Move Timmeh to the Pen? Maybe. But it's one thing in the 2012 postseason to HAVE to make that decision (which was quite clear cut at the time), and another thing to do that in midseason. What impact would that have on our vaunted "chemistry"? Are we really going to have a long-reliever/spot starter making $17.5 mm/yr?

3) Susac is emerging at C at a time when we are seriously and obviously considering moving Posey elsewhere, like 1B. There are no other catchers in the org other than Sanchez. Trading Susac gruesomely weakens a critical position.

4) Samardzija is certainly pitching very well right now, but his history looks more like a back-end rotation kind of guy, and for only a year or two at that. Are we really going to scramble many key aspects of the org for that? We have a 9.5 game lead with what we have, and if the playoffs were tomorrow, we already have 4 other quality starters right now. Would Samardzija really be a worthwhile upgrade over one of those 4 for the playoffs?

5) Are we really going to outbid the market, specifically the Yankees, for a guy having a career, one-off string of games?

In sum, can one or two of the points above be overcome to justify the organizational upheaval of a blockbuster deal? Sure. All five? Very unlikely. Fun to think about, but very unlikely. IMHO.

Good points.

I have 2 points in response...

1) July 31 is still 7 weeks away. A lot can happen. Cain can continue to pitch like a really good 3; he can step it up and become the third Ace of te staff; or he can continue to have nagging injuries and we need to address replacing Petit. Other injuries could occur as well to other positions would would cause new needs that can be filled by Crick and/or Susac.

2) I pointed out Samardzja only because that was the name most mentioned on Docs page. I wonder if we can't pull some kind of blockbuster with Phi to get Utley and Hammel or Lee. I also like to idea of maybe talking to pit about Walker (assuming they become sellers).

My point was not specifically about Samardzja. It was about how Crick and Susac have become less critical to the org after this draft. Getting two guys who are rather advanced in their development gives the Giants more flexibility.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Giants are going to need somebody to pitch in Vogelsong's spot next season, and two somebodies to replace Hudson and Timmy for 2016. Having decent young pitching major-league ready next year is still very important - as is having somebody else ready in two years.

Also, the way this team is performing - as a team - I wouldn't go stirring the pot in the clubhouse unless the wheels come off completely.

Last edited by a moderator:

GiantsPackersChamps2011

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Giants are going to need somebody to pitch in Vogelsong's spot next season, and two somebodies to replace Hudson and Timmy for 2016. Having decent young pitching major-league ready next year is still very important - as is having somebody else ready in two years.

Also, the way this team is performing - as a team - I wouldn't go stirring the pot in the clubhouse unless the wheels come off completely.

Zobrist is well-known for being a great clubhouse guy :)

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will try and find the article. But BR's featured MLB Draft writer LOVED the Giants pick of Austin Slater. Called it one of the biggest Day 2 steals (also mentioned he could be moved to the infield)

You know after I was reading up on his scouting report, I thought he'd be a great fit for second base. No one ever gets drafted as a 2nd baseman, but many end up there. If he makes a smooth transition there, could be a great pick.

I liked the Giants draft overall. I don't like giving out grades, just seems irrelevant for a baseball draft as so many guys don;t amount to anything, but I really liked their approach and think they got some solid value.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Uh oh...

Derek Law with "forearm tightness"...

This is just weird. I suspect that soon they will find that this is contagious and this whole thing is truly an outbreak.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A guy in AA starting to get my attention is Jack Snodgrass (LHP, 6'6" 210):

Jack Snodgrass Minor League Statistics & History - Baseball-Reference.com

6-0, 2.25 ERA, and has allowed zero HR's in 52 IP. Apparently more of a "pitcher" than a "thrower", despite his size. 9.3 hits/9, and only 5.4 K's/9.

Attended Austin Peay Univ. "Let's go Peay! Let's go Peay!" (Couldn't resist that last part.)

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ray Black. Remember the name. Kid has ELECTRIC stuff, 99-102 fastball and a nasty snapping slider at 83-86. Pretty easy delivery, doesn't look like he's putting in much effort, has pretty good command.

His problem has been staying healthy. Was completely MIA the last 2 years, but he's pitching now. If he can stay on the diamond, this kid has legit closers stuff. He's in Augusta right now, but could race up the system as fast as his fastball, if he can stay healthy.

Has struck out 23 of 45 batters faced, with only 3 BB. Good size: 6'5", 225lb. You have to like that combination of size and speed.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=black-000ray

Our own 7th round pick in 2011. Still only 23.

Last edited by a moderator:

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Adam Duvall is just crushing the ball. 20 homers, 58 RBI, .300/.367/.636

For those wondering, yes, he is on the 40 man roster.

Meanwhile, I'm worried about Derek Law. The reports don't sound promising. We'll find out more Saturday.

Back to some good news. One of my favorite sleeper prospects, Matt Duffy, is hitting .525/.543/.675 over his last 10 games, and .351/.405/.442 overall. This is in Richmond of all places! He's got 16 steals on the season too, and his defense is top notch. Last year, he had a .823 OPS for Augusta and .852 OPS for San Jose.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I figured that Adam Duvall was the back-up plan for Pablito (if he flailed this year, or doesn't sign back with us).

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Derek Law now with "elbow issues." Usually "forearm tightness" + "elbow issues" = Dr. James Andrews. He's getting second opinion tomorrow, but I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up with TJ surgery.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And this is late enough in the season, it will likely affect his time in '15 as well.

That sucks

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I figured that Adam Duvall was the back-up plan for Pablito (if he flailed this year, or doesn't sign back with us).

He will most certainly continue to "flail" (I recall that he led the majors last year in pitches swung at outside the strike zone). Whether or not he "fails" or doesn't re-sign is another story.

Good Freudian slip. Sometimes a baseball bat is just a baseball bat!

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He will most certainly continue to "flail" (I recall that he led the majors last year in pitches swung at outside the strike zone). Whether or not he "fails" or doesn't re-sign is another story.

Good Freudian slip. Sometimes a baseball bat is just a baseball bat!

There is no... baseball bat.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Update on Derek Law:

Law said he feels great, but admitted that he hasn’t thrown since walking off the mound a few weeks back, instead doing only conditioning at the facility in Scottsdale. He was throwing the hell out of the ball the day he got hurt, and was hitting 97 mph with his fastball. But he felt a little tightness after throwing a pitch — “it was a weird feeling,” he said. Law threw two more and the tightness got worse, and he decided not to risk it. That was a smart decision, but sometimes there’s nothing pitchers can do to escape the elbow bug. Law was in great spirits and said he’s hoping for the best.

Law will fly out tomorrow to see Dr. James Andrews and get a second opinion on his forearm.

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/giants...ckburn/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Derrick Law had Tommy John last week. Really sucks, sets him back until 2016 at the ML level at the earliest.

His replacement though, Cody Hall, is killing it as the closer. Before Law came around, Hall was supposed to be the big arm reliever to come out of nowhere and make the SF pen. Now it's his turn again. Kid has a high 90s fastball and slider combo (sound familiar). He doesn't have the heavy sink or wipe-out slider of Law, but he is no slouch. Better velocity, and great command. Hall has been given an opportunity to show he belongs, we'll see if he can stack up. To this point, he has.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are pretty stacked with relievers on the farm. Hembree, Hall, Johnson, Bochy, Strickland, Black, McVey, Okert...

"Losing" Law hurts, but we still have plenty of arms.

I am not saying Law is lost, but TJ is a big knock...