• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason Thread

Ewa PGH Fan

Glade City, PA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm holding my breath that nothing comes of the Pouncey investigation in Miami. I have to admit I'd feel a lot better about it amounting to nothing if his Brother Mike wasn't involved. So, I'll also keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best until this plays out.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Welcome Ewa!

Update: Neither Pouncey brother were listed on the incident report that was released this morning. However, Miami Beach police said this morning its detectives are working to confirm speculation that Maurkice Pouncey was involved in the altercation.

Meaning Mike is probably off the hook as of now, but Maurkice may still be involved. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed!

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the next few weeks leading up to training camp I am going to be following suit with ESPN's position previews in that I will be doing the same thing but giving a little more depth to it. Feel free to chime in!

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Position Preview: Defensive Ends

ESPN's: Pittsburgh Steelers position preview: Defensive end - ESPN

Gone: Ziggy Hood, Brett Keisel, and Al Woods (rotational player).

Returning starter: Cameron Heyward. Heyward established himself almost instantly after taking over for Hood last year, producing 31 QB pressures (team leader) in only 11 games. Now that Keisel is out of the building (possible return), Heyward is the head honcho of the group. Expect Heyward to continue to build upon his success, and expect Lebeau to build his defense around him. Heyward has been moved to the right side, which has been seen as a move to help improve Jarvis Jones' progression, but that isn't the only case. History has shown that the right side is meant for the big dog of the group (Aaron Smith, Brett Keisel, & now Heyward). Also we know that the LT is often the best o-lineman on the field, so putting the best DE on that side is only logical.

New faces: Cam Thomas, Stephon Tuitt, Josh Mauro and Ethan Hemer. Thomas is likely to be the starter at LDE unless Tuitt shows he can handle the learning curve. It has been reported that Thomas was signed to be a rotational/depth type player, so all signs point toward Tuitt being the future. D-line coach Mitchell has already stated that he wants to bring Tuitt along slowly, which means that Tuitt will likely start the first half of the season in the rotation/situation role. Tuitt has been compared to a "young Aaron Smith" by coach Mitchell. As we all know, those are some very big shoes to fill! UDFA's Mauro & Hemer have great potential as well. Both have good size, and good technique, but lack the "pro" build. Expect both of these youngsters to battle for a PS spot at best, unless an injury occurs.

Outlook: ESPN said it perfectly:
Heyward is one of the Steelers’ best defensive players, and he gives them a strong inside rusher when they go to their nickel defense. Thomas is more ideally suited to swing between defensive end and nose tackle, the role that Al Woods filled last season. He is a stopgap at defensive end until Tuitt is ready to start. Keisel also becomes a part of the rotation at the defensive end spot opposite Heyward if the Steelers re-sign the 12th-year veteran.
If the LDE position solidifies itself by one way or another, look for OLBs Jones & Worilds to bring some noise this season.

Ewa PGH Fan

Glade City, PA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Welcome Ewa!

Update: Neither Pouncey brother were listed on the incident report that was released this morning. However, Miami Beach police said this morning its detectives are working to confirm speculation that Maurkice Pouncey was involved in the altercation.

Meaning Mike is probably off the hook as of now, but Maurkice may still be involved. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed!

TY Face!!!

Ewa PGH Fan

Glade City, PA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Position Preview: Defensive Ends

ESPN's: Pittsburgh Steelers position preview: Defensive end - ESPN

Gone: Ziggy Hood, Brett Keisel, and Al Woods (rotational player).

Returning starter: Cameron Heyward. Heyward established himself almost instantly after taking over for Hood last year, producing 31 QB pressures (team leader) in only 11 games. Now that Keisel is out of the building (possible return), Heyward is the head honcho of the group. Expect Heyward to continue to build upon his success, and expect Lebeau to build his defense around him. Heyward has been moved to the right side, which has been seen as a move to help improve Jarvis Jones' progression, but that isn't the only case. History has shown that the right side is meant for the big dog of the group (Aaron Smith, Brett Keisel, & now Heyward). Also we know that the LT is often the best o-lineman on the field, so putting the best DE on that side is only logical.

New faces: Cam Thomas, Stephon Tuitt, Josh Mauro and Ethan Hemer. Thomas is likely to be the starter at LDE unless Tuitt shows he can handle the learning curve. It has been reported that Thomas was signed to be a rotational/depth type player, so all signs point toward Tuitt being the future. D-line coach Mitchell has already stated that he wants to bring Tuitt along slowly, which means that Tuitt will likely start the first half of the season in the rotation/situation role. Tuitt has been compared to a "young Aaron Smith" by coach Mitchell. As we all know, those are some very big shoes to fill! UDFA's Mauro & Hemer have great potential as well. Both have good size, and good technique, but lack the "pro" build. Expect both of these youngsters to battle for a PS spot at best, unless an injury occurs.

Outlook: ESPN said it perfectly:

If the LDE position solidifies itself by one way or another, look for OLBs Jones & Worilds to bring some noise this season.

:agree:

I do wonder if last year's PS DL (Arnfelt and Williams) will have any impact or just battle Mauro and Hemer to make the team/practice squad again.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Position Preview: Nose Tackle

ESPNs: Pittsburgh Steelers position preview: Nose tackle - ESPN

Gone: Al Woods , Alameda Ta'amu (cut during last offseason)

Returning starter: Steve McLendon. His first season in the starter role was a bit spotty, but not just his abilities were to blame. I forget the stat (ATL help me out here?), but Lebeau ran his defense out of the nickel formation over 60-70% of snaps last season, meaning the NT was taken off the field. Hard for a player to establish himself each game when he isn't being utilized often. Still, McLendon lost 20-30 lbs during last offseason which really hurt his anchoring ability. He had a lot of burst & quickness off the line, but he was often rendered obsolete because he lacked the strength to anchor the point of attack. This offseason McLendon has stacked on 20 lbs of mass which has given him a big boost of confidence, both in himself and from his teammates. Heyward has gone on record saying that McLendon is going to have a MVP-like season this year. It is essential for the NT position to anchor or else Lebeau's LB schemes will be ineffective.

New faces: Daniel McCullers and Al Lapuaho. Big-man McCullers is a very raw product from Tennessee. He has great potential to anchor if he can improve his technique. Because of his frame he has a difficult time staying low on his point of attack which leaves him vulnerable to a O-lineman getting under his pads and driving him off the ball. It's still hard to imagine ANYONE pushing a 6'7", 352 lb man anywhere far. McCullers & Fangupo are going to battle it out in Latrobe. McCullers is PS eligible, but you know any team would be licking their chops for him to fall to that. Tough decisions lie ahead! Not much is known about Lapuaho at this point. He had a short stint with the Dolphin's PS last season, but he has potential. It's not likely that he will beat out any of the aforementioned, but Heyward said the kid "stood out" during OTA's.

On the bubble: McCullers, Fangupo & Lapuaho. All 3 are in a battle for a roster spot.

Outlook: per ESPN:
McLendon still has to prove that he is the long-term answer at nose tackle, but he appears to be in a much better position to play well this season, both from a physical and mental standpoint. He could also stay on the field during some passing downs, providing an inside rush with Heyward when the Steelers go to their nickel defense. Fangupo played sparingly last season, but the Steelers’ coaches know what they have in him. Anything the Steelers get from McCullers is a bonus, as the Tennessee product may need a season on the practice squad before he is ready to contribute
I expect McLendon to hold down the NT position this year much better than he did last season. If Tuitt gains the starting role then I think Thomas will be moved to McLendon's primary backup. I doubt Fangupo/McCullers would even dress for the games at that point. If McLendon has a repeat of last year's performance then expect Thomas to get a crack at it.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:agree:

I do wonder if last year's PS DL (Arnfelt and Williams) will have any impact or just battle Mauro and Hemer to make the team/practice squad again.

You are exactly right. Williams has a lot to prove since the team showed patience in him by stashing him on IR last season. But I should have included him in the "on the bubble" section.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Position Preview: Quarterback

ESPNs: Pittsburgh Steelers position preview: Quarterbacks - ESPN

Gone: John Parker Wilson (cut last offseason)

Returning starter: Ben Roethlisberger. Nothing to report here lol. Ben returns with one of the most talent-laden offenses that he has ever been around.

New face: Brendon Kay. Kay saw a lot of successes in his college days in Cinci. He has great size at 6'4", 228 lbs. He also has turned some heads during OTA's.

On the bubble: Kay. He is going to have to beat out Landry Jones to make the roster. Consider Kay an insurance policy if Jones flops during training camp and in preseason games. But I think bringing in this sort of talent will challenge Jones to perform. We should see what Landry is made of in a few weeks.

The Steelers are fine at quarterback as long as Roethlisberger stays healthy. Now one of the most tenured Steelers, Roethlisberger is still playing at a high level. Big Ben set a team record with 375 completions last season and threw for 4,261 yards, the second-highest total of his career, with 28 touchdowns with 14 interceptions. His health is also vital to the Steelers’ running their no-huddle offense frequently in 2014, and there could be a correlation between the two. Roethlisberger was sacked just seven times in the final seven games in 2013, when the Steelers employed more of an up-tempo offense, and he generally got rid of the ball quicker when running the no-huddle attack.
If Ben were to get injured at all, I would still feel better about having Gradkowski in as a serviceable backup. He was by far the best offseason acquisition of last season. I think Ben is going to have a full 16-game season due in large to his O-line rounding into form. I doubt he is going to hit any career highs in yardage because the offense clearly looks like it is going to return to the ground game. But he has all of the tools to do a pass heavy offense.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Position Preview: Running Back

ESPNs: Pittsburgh Steelers position preview: Running back - ESPN

Gone: Jonathan Dwyer, Isaac Redman, La'rod Stephens-Howling, Felix Jones, Baron Batch (cut last offseason)

Returning starter: Le'Veon Bell. Even with the upgrades the Steelers have made at the position, Bell is still clearly their No. 1 back. After breaking Franco Harris' rookie record, he has his eyes set to new heights. Tomlin has stated that he will let the RB's play decide the division of labor, so it will be interesting to see how much Blount sees the field. IMO this is a motiviational ploy. I think we will see the same amount of mixing as last season with Bell & Felix (even Dwyer). At least with the added touches to Blount, it will increase Bell's lifespan in the NFL. It still worries me how many miles were put on Bell's legs during his college days.

New faces: LeGarrette Blount, Dri Archer, Miguel Maysonet, Tauren Poole and Jordan Hall. Blount & Archer are pretty much locked in for roster spots. Blount adds an explosive, yet powerfull player to the mix. He will likely only be used to keep Bell fresh. He has a great starter resume, so he is great insurance if Bell were to get injured. Archer is the question mark as to what position he will mainly be employed in. Haley will likely employ him everywhere as a sparkplug to his offense. With 4.26 speed, he is going to create matchup problems all over the field.

On the bubble: Alvester Alexander, Miguel Maysonet, Tauren Poole and Jordan Hall. I highly doubt the team will keep a 4th RB since FB Will Johnson is a viable RB3. This means they will stash a running back on the practice squad. If one of these guys can show their worth something as a kick returner then it could change their minds. But expect all of these guys to battle for a PS spot.

Outlook:
It will be interesting to see how the division of labor shakes out with the Steelers trying to feature Bell in the offense while also finding touches for Blount and Archer. Two of the three could play together in different packages given their respective skill sets. And the trio provides offensive coordinator Todd Haley with an opportunity to get creative with his running backs. What is certain is the Steelers are much better equipped to deal with an injury to Bell this season and that they've significantly improved their overall talent at running back.
The backfield is filled with stretch zone runners, tailor made for this offense. I've been hearing that it could be possible to have some offensive sets with both Bell & Blount on the field. That could create some dangerous matchup problems for the defense. I hope Haley has been in the lab exhausting himself this offseason! I think Archer will be used in the same fashion that Haley used Dexter McCluster in KC. Line him up in the backfield or in the slot and it will cause a defensive coordinator some restless nights.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm holding my breath that nothing comes of the Pouncey investigation in Miami. I have to admit I'd feel a lot better about it amounting to nothing if his Brother Mike wasn't involved. So, I'll also keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best until this plays out.

Ditto on the welcome Ewa! Looking forward to a return to the playoffs!

Ewa PGH Fan

Glade City, PA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are exactly right. Williams has a lot to prove since the team showed patience in him by stashing him on IR last season. But I should have included him in the "on the bubble" section.

I think one of the reasons the Steelers didn't resign Keisel was cause they wanted to give Armfelt and Williams a chance to win roster spots. Since Keisel is familar with their system he could be signed at the end of pre-season as a back up and not need much time to get back up to speed if neither shows they belong on an NFL roster.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think one of the reasons the Steelers didn't resign Keisel was cause they wanted to give Armfelt and Williams a chance to win roster spots. Since Keisel is familar with their system he could be signed at the end of pre-season as a back up and not need much time to get back up to speed if neither shows they belong on an NFL roster.

Definitely not a bad way to go about it. I think he will be signed before the end of preseason. IMO having a guy like him around sooner rather than later would only help the younger guys. Veteran leadership is invaluable, and the earlier rookies can be around it and be able to learn from them the better. But like you said, they seem to be giving the younger guys a chance to step up and fill those shoes. It will say a lot about what the coaches think of their D-line with how soon they bring back Keisel, or not at all. Definitely something I will be keeping my eyes on.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Position Preview: Tight End

ESPNs: Pittsburgh Steelers position preview: Tight end - ESPN

Gone: David Johnson, Richard Gordon (released during last season), Jamie McCoy (camp casualty LY), Nathan Overbay (camp casualty LY)

Returning starters: Heath Miller & Matt Spaeth. Miller was sorely needed last season to get the ground game going, so I believe he rushed his return which hindered his abilities a little bit. He should be back to 100% this season so expect him to return to being Ben's favorite safety net & red zone target. Spaeth usually only factors into the run game & blocking situations, but he is a reliable safety net as well.

New faces: Rob Blanchflower. Seventh round draft pick. This kid has outstanding size (6'4" 255lbs). Things I've been hearing about him: competitive run blocker, tough, functional pass protector, good range (lays out for the ball), smart, solid special-teams temperament, and a respected leader (2x team captain @ UMASS). He has all the making of a solid TE in the NFL.

On the bubble: David Paulson, Michael Palmer & Rob Blanchflower. Despite what ESPN says about only Paulson & Palmer will battle for the final TE spot, I still think Blanchflower is here as well. One has to consider the presence of Will Johnson to factor into this discussion. Johnson is RB/FB/TE flexible, and he's not going anywhere. Also we can factor in the fact that LY, in a pinch, PIT used Beachum & Adams in the TE set. So with that in mind, the team could opt to only keep 3 true TE's on the roster. With Miller & Spaeth entrenched at the top of the depth chart, you have to think Paulson, Palmer & Blanch are in a 3-way battle. Blanch is PS eligible, so if he doesn't win the battle then he can be stashed. Things don't look good for Paulson right now... Just sayin!

Miller, entering his 10th NFL season, is still one of the best all-around tight ends in the NFL as well as a favorite target of quarterback Ben Roethlisberger. The 6-foot-4, 256-pounder had been in the midst of his best season in 2012 before tearing his right ACL in the Steelers’ next-to-last game. The Steelers need Miller to re-establish himself as a similar threat this season with Spaeth more of a blocking tight end. Having Miller and Spaeth together for an entire season could be big considering the success the Steelers have had running the ball when both tight ends are in the game. Starting fullback Will Johnson will play more tight end this season, and he could provide some production as a pass catcher.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Definitely not a bad way to go about it. I think he will be signed before the end of preseason. IMO having a guy like him around sooner rather than later would only help the younger guys. Veteran leadership is invaluable, and the earlier rookies can be around it and be able to learn from them the better. But like you said, they seem to be giving the younger guys a chance to step up and fill those shoes. It will say a lot about what the coaches think of their D-line with how soon they bring back Keisel, or not at all. Definitely something I will be keeping my eyes on.

Is Nick Williams all the way back from injury? I keep hearing how they like him, and Arnfelt but last I heard he was not 100% yet. IMO, the DL is a year away from championship caliber, but they could be a real force if Tuitt is a Heyward clone....might not need that beast @ NT if the DEs are kicking ass...much like SF.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Position Preview: Wide Receiver

ESPNs: Position preview: Wide receiver - Pittsburgh Steelers Blog - ESPN

Gone: Emmanuel Sanders, Jerrico Cotchery, Plaxico Burress, Reggie Dunn (camp casualty LY)

Returning starter: Antonio Brown. A lonely returning starter list... But a good name to start with! Brown established himself as one of the most dynamic playmaking WR's in the NFL last season. I think everyone can finally put the "true WR1" questions to bed. I doubt Brown will see the same amount of production this season, mainly because of having Heath Miller back to full health. But I think he is still going to be the biggest playmaker on the offense.

New faces: Lance Moore, Martavis Bryant, Darrius Heyward-Bey, Lanear Sampson, Danny Coale, & CJ Goodwin. Lance Moore looks to immediately fill the veteran leadership role that Cotchery left behind, also filling into the slot receiver role. Tomlin/Haley had Moore lining up in the Y-stick routes (WR2 role) during minicamp so he could get some looks outside. Bryant was drafted in the 4th round, and has the look of a great deep threat, also a RZ beast. There has already been talks of using Bryant in the RZ early and often. Heyward-Bey was signed to a low-risk flier to prove his worth and live up to the 1st round hype. Sampson, Coale & Goodwin are all young, athletic, raw talent types that are given a shot to show some special teams worth. Goodwin received a strong vote of support from HOFer Mel Blount, so he will have eyes on him.

On the bubble: Derek Moye, Justin Brown, Darrius Heyward-Bey, Kashif Moore, Lanear Sampson, Danny Coale & CJ Goodwin. Depending on how many WR's the Steelers choose to keep (5 or 6), all 7 of these guys are competing for 2 roster spots. Moye returns as the only player that was rostered last season, but his outlook doesn't look as strong this season. Brown has been the hot story during OTA's and minicamp so far, so he has a strong chance to fill the WR5 spot. If they choose to roster a 6th man, then I expect the battle to come down to Moye & H-Bey, with special teams being the biggest factor for contribution. This will be one of the more watched battles of camp in the coming weeks.

The Steelers had significant turnover at the position with the losses of Cotchery and Emmanuel Sanders. They need Wheaton, a 2013 third-round pick, to emerge after a broken pinkie sabotaged most of his rookie season. Moore should prove to be a more than capable replacement for Cotchery and the wild card of the group is rookie Martavis Bryant. The fourth-round pick has an excellent blend of size and speed, and he could help the Steelers this season if he makes steady progress during training camp and preseason practice
Everything Scott Brown said is true, except for the wild card of the group. I would say Bryant is already establising himself as a RZ contributor, while Dri Archer is more of the wild card of the group. But that is just because of the nature of Archer's flexibility & athletic ability. A lot of people will be hopeful that Wheaton lives up to the expectations, so he is one to watch!

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is Nick Williams all the way back from injury? I keep hearing how they like him, and Arnfelt but last I heard he was not 100% yet. IMO, the DL is a year away from championship caliber, but they could be a real force if Tuitt is a Heyward clone....might not need that beast @ NT if the DEs are kicking ass...much like SF.

Last I heard was that Williams was at or near full health. Williams had surgery back on Oct 31st and the timeline for recovery was 4-6 months, so he is past the recovery period.

Here is a good story covering Williams:
Nick Williams: 'I am very anxious'

As for Arnfelt... Haven't heard much as of late so I would assume he is healthy?

Ewa PGH Fan

Glade City, PA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tight Ends:

I read an article on Fansided this morning that said the Steelers made several contract offers to Jermichael Finley. Finley turned the offers down cause he wants paid more than his insurance settlment ($10 Mil) if he never plays again. I bring this up cause I think it shows that the Steelers aren't satisfied with Health's backups, are looking to create a two-headed TE monster or possibly both. Either way the Steelers could still be looking for upgrades at backup TE. I don't know who's still out there besides Finley who would be a great pickup if and only if he's healthy again which still remains to be seen.

If they do pick up someone I'm not sure if that would seal Paulson's fate or push Spaeth out the door.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tight Ends:

I read an article on Fansided this morning that said the Steelers made several contract offers to Jermichael Finley. Finley turned the offers down cause he wants paid more than his insurance settlment ($10 Mil) if he never plays again. I bring this up cause I think it shows that the Steelers aren't satisfied with Health's backups, are looking to create a two-headed TE monster or possibly both. Either way the Steelers could still be looking for upgrades at backup TE. I don't know who's still out there besides Finley who would be a great pickup if and only if he's healthy again which still remains to be seen.

If they do pick up someone I'm not sure if that would seal Paulson's fate or push Spaeth out the door.

The articles that are being published (fansided, espn, nfl, BTSC, etc) are all forgetting the importance of revealing the timeframe where these offers landed. I don't know when exactly the offers were made to Finley, but I do know that they were sometime before the draft. Probably mid to late March. The fact that the offer "wasn't to his liking" means that the Steelers probably low balled the hell out of him while he was in town. What a lot of people don't know is that Finley's surgeon is part of the Steelers medical staff. So he was in Pittsburgh frequently this offseason. That right there probably tells me either A)Finley is using this link to boost offers from interested parties or B)He really did receive an offer but the Steelers were only looking for a cheap upgrade. That doesn't really tell me that they aren't happy with the depth behind Miller.

Also... Something to chew on... The Steelers were quietly linked with Finley at the beginning of free agency, but like other teams, it hasn't gone past the point of speculation... And these stories still haven't provided any sort of validity to these supposed offers other than Finley's claims. My guess is that soon we will be reading stories that the Steelers never offered Finley anything. If so... You heard it here first! :thumb: