• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Mock Draft Thread

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it me, or so a lot of the GM's on this mock seem very enthralled with a player's height/weight (especially with WRs and DBs)?

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it me, or so a lot of the GM's on this mock seem very enthralled with a player's height/weight (especially with WRs and DBs)?

Mock's are like this many times. There is always a lot of over emphasis put on the skill /sexy positions like WR. Or they get emotionally attached to a player and don't plan accordingly for the right backup choices if they are taken before their pick.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mock's are like this many times. There is always a lot of over emphasis put on the skill /sexy positions like WR. Or they get emotionally attached to a player and don't plan accordingly for the right backup choices if they are taken before their pick.

Yeah, I just think how much people over value size. Now into the 4th round, there have been 16 WRs drafted, only 2 have been shorter than 6'1".

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alright, it's the fifth round, and according to the mock draft thread, the Hawks have 2 picks (#6 and #32), plus we're still on the clock for the 4th. Here are some guys that are around for this round.

Telvin Smith, OLB FSU - Surprised he's still here, but he is a little undersized. He's fast, so as long as he can tackle, I don't think his size will deter PC/JS from going for him.

Christian Kirksey, OLB Iowa - Not quite as speedy as Smith (though still good for a LB) but he's a little bigger (about the size of Wagner). Expected him gone by now, but he is still here.

Terrence Mitchell, CB Oregon - Good sized CB (6'1"), reads QBs well because he has to as he is a little raw and not as fast as a lot of WRs.

Robert Herron, WR Wyoming - A little on the small size, but a burner. Not sure I want another slot WR, but I just feel he's a value pick here, so could be a BPA type pick.

CJ Fiedorowicz, TE Iowa - Thought he could've gone as early as 2 rounds ago, but he's still here. Seattle may find themselves a little thin at TE, so adding some depth could be a good idea.

Jordan Zumwalt, OLB UCLA - Seems to be exactly what PC wants in his LBs.

Will Clarke, DE West Virginia - Plays really well with his hands and gets good position against tackles. He had a good Senior Bowl, so not sure why he's been ignored.

Bryan Stork, C Florida State - Seen him rated very differently depending on which site you look at, but generally, looks like 3rd, 4th or 5th. OLine depth is always good, and with Jean-Pierre coming into a contract year it may be time to look for a back up to Unger for the years to come.

Jordan Tripp, OLB Montana - Small school LB who posesses the size and speed that PC likes.

There's others, but that's just my list right now.

coltonjg98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Abbredaris would be nice. Wilson has thrown to him in the past. go look at Wilson's Senior season at Wisconsin, Abbredaris was his leading receiver!

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SonnyCID pick is Will Clarke.

Last edited by a moderator:

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SonnyCID next pick for the Seahawks is Arthur Lynch Georgia TE

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just wondering,

Why did we pick TEs with straight picks. (Arthur Lynch #134, Colt Lyerla, #160)?

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SonnyCID hasn't given us much feed back.

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh damn that's my fault guys. Sonny wasn't available to draft so I took who I thought was the best available tight end and receiving threat. Had no idea we had already taken Arthur Lynch

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh damn that's my fault guys. Sonny wasn't available to draft so I took who I thought was the best available tight end and receiving threat. Had no idea we had already taken Arthur Lynch

Not a huge deal, just wanted to know if there was a strategy that I had missed. I've done plenty of these mocks and made bigger goofs than that one. ;)

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Thanks for picking.

Lyerla's a knucklehead, but he's got skills.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Picks for the 7rh round:

Eric Schultz, OT Utah State - All WAC in 2012 and 2nd team all MWC in 2013. He started RT for 3 years for the Aggies, but he also played all the line positions including center. One of the more versatile linemen in the draft, which for a late round pick is a must to be able to stick with a team. High quality person as well as player.

Spencer Hadley, OLB BYU - Athletic, good speed and makes plays. Undisciplined at times and can miss plays as well. Was a part of a scandal during the season, but since he attends BYU what was considered a scandal there would have just been Tuesday night almost everywhere else (he was caught drinking at a strip club in Vegas and suspended for 4 games).

Shamar Stephen, DT Connecticut - Big, run stuffing DT. Provides little by way of pass rush, but if Bryant is cut, then some run stopping D needs to be re-added somehow.

Howard Jone, OLB Shepherd - A little on the small side (6'2", 230) but blazing fast for a LB.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Picks for the 7rh round:

Eric Schultz, OT Utah State - All WAC in 2012 and 2nd team all MWC in 2013. He started RT for 3 years for the Aggies, but he also played all the line positions including center. One of the more versatile linemen in the draft, which for a late round pick is a must to be able to stick with a team. High quality person as well as player.

Spencer Hadley, OLB BYU - Athletic, good speed and makes plays. Undisciplined at times and can miss plays as well. Was a part of a scandal during the season, but since he attends BYU what was considered a scandal there would have just been Tuesday night almost everywhere else (he was caught drinking at a strip club in Vegas and suspended for 4 games).

Shamar Stephen, DT Connecticut - Big, run stuffing DT. Provides little by way of pass rush, but if Bryant is cut, then some run stopping D needs to be re-added somehow.

Howard Jone, OLB Shepherd - A little on the small side (6'2", 230) but blazing fast for a LB.

Went with Schultz. Like you said, versatility is a must. 4 year starter and the Hawks have done well with USU players.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not bad for a pre-combine draft. Some players that could make the team, for sure. But I don't want that cokehead Lyerla anywhere near Renton. Don't care how much "raw" talent he may have. You have to be a complete fuck up at life to still get kicked off the Oregon Ducks who let their athletes run around doing anything like a bunch of feral animals.

office-no.gif

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Picks for the 7rh round:

You are not bullshitting. I went there out of HS for one year on swimming scholarship with no idea what mormonism was other then having had a mormon friend who partied like a rock star in HS. Culture shock for sure...got suspended a swim meet vs. UNM because a football playing friend of mine was getting laid and we were in the other room and did not report it. Email was regulated at BYU and that chick my buddy banged had bragged about it via email to another friend and the school flagged it.

If Hadley's only wart was a BYU "scandal", then he actually moves UP my draft board.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is good reason why the PAC chose Utah over BYU to join during the expansion. And BYU fills a bigger stadium, generates more revenue, and has a much larger fanbase and an army of deep pocket alums.

The Cali schools, especially Furd and Cal, we're never going to agree to let BYU with the honor code policies and missionary exemptions for SAs, join the PAC. And BYU has begged the PAC hat in hand for years to let them join.

Hadley was a nice late round value grab.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Cali schools, especially Furd and Cal, we're never going to agree to let BYU with the honor code policies and missionary exemptions for SAs, join the PAC.

I know a lot of people take issue with the BYU honor code, but honestly I think that if you sign on the dotted line then you agree to live that lifestyle. There are plenty of colleges out there that don't have that strict of rules, so it's not like people don't have other educational opportunities. I remember a few years ago they suspended their top basketball player for violating the honor code and it caused a national uproar. I actually thought it funny to see how people reacted to a school that set standards and then enforced them, no matter how strict they may be.

Every school has an honor code or code of conduct. Most aren't as strict as BYU, which includes stipulations on facial hair, hair style, a dress code, drinking, sexual intercourse and more. The LDS church runs the school and the honor code is nothing more than the standards they ask their members to live in general. The church keeps tuition low ($2500 a semester for members and $5000 for those not members of the church, compared to Washington State which is $6000 for state residents and $11500 for nonresidents) but keep the standards high. Since it's their school, they can choose how it's run. Some people don't like living like that, and no one begrudges that, it's just that BYU may not be a good place for them.

Now, I've known Hadley's family for a long time (his oldest sister was a year behind me in high school), and they had a hard time with the national exposure this brought (as it was on ESPN and in Sports Illustrated). They had a very bad year last year (Spencer's 3 year old cousin was hit by a pick up truck in January 2013, killing him) and this situation did not help them much. I only brought up the scandal to show that if this is the worst thing a prospect did while at school, then you're pretty sure he isn't gonna be a character issue for the team, which, with the exception of Jim McMahon, is what you can generally expect when drafting players from BYU.

As for the return missionary waivers, a lot of schools use it. There were 112 LDS returned missionaries on various college football teams in 2013, and only 45 of them were at BYU. Seven of the Pac-12 schools had at least one on their roster last year (Arizona State, California, Oregon, Oregon State, Stanford, UCLA, and Utah), hell even Notre Dame started the season with one (though he transferred to BYU and received a waiver to the one year transfer rule after receiving no playing time at ND for over a year). If the Pac-12 are refusing BYU's entrance into the conference based on just their missionary program and the honor code, then I think that's pretty silly, but fully their prerogative.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know a lot of people take issue with the BYU honor code, but honestly I think that if you sign on the dotted line then you agree to live that lifestyle. There are plenty of colleges out there that don't have that strict of rules, so it's not like people don't have other educational opportunities. I remember a few years ago they suspended their top basketball player for violating the honor code and it caused a national uproar. I actually thought it funny to see how people reacted to a school that set standards and then enforced them, no matter how strict they may be.

Every school has an honor code or code of conduct. Most aren't as strict as BYU, which includes stipulations on facial hair, hair style, a dress code, drinking, sexual intercourse and more. The LDS church runs the school and the honor code is nothing more than the standards they ask their members to live in general. The church keeps tuition low ($2500 a semester for members and $5000 for those not members of the church, compared to Washington State which is $6000 for state residents and $11500 for nonresidents) but keep the standards high. Since it's their school, they can choose how it's run. Some people don't like living like that, and no one begrudges that, it's just that BYU may not be a good place for them.

Now, I've known Hadley's family for a long time (his oldest sister was a year behind me in high school), and they had a hard time with the national exposure this brought (as it was on ESPN and in Sports Illustrated). They had a very bad year last year (Spencer's 3 year old cousin was hit by a pick up truck in January 2013, killing him) and this situation did not help them much. I only brought up the scandal to show that if this is the worst thing a prospect did while at school, then you're pretty sure he isn't gonna be a character issue for the team, which, with the exception of Jim McMahon, is what you can generally expect when drafting players from BYU.

As for the return missionary waivers, a lot of schools use it. There were 112 LDS returned missionaries on various college football teams in 2013, and only 45 of them were at BYU. Seven of the Pac-12 schools had at least one on their roster last year (Arizona State, California, Oregon, Oregon State, Stanford, UCLA, and Utah), hell even Notre Dame started the season with one (though he transferred to BYU and received a waiver to the one year transfer rule after receiving no playing time at ND for over a year). If the Pac-12 are refusing BYU's entrance into the conference based on just their missionary program and the honor code, then I think that's pretty silly, but fully their prerogative.

As someone who was actively recruited to go there although I was not Mormon, I will tell you that although I agree in premise, there are two different things in play here. First, for me personally, I was not told about the honor code specifics until I had signed my letter of intent and I did not know (nor did my parents who were immigrants from a largely Catholic country) what this honor code entailed. The reason this is a problem is that once a letter of intent is signed (at least this was the rule 20 years ago), you run the risk of losing a year of sport eligibility of you decide to change your mind and go to another school.
Second, everyone nationally is told that the drinking age is 21 but realistically, how many college freshmen nationwide actually adhere to this law and don't drink until they are in fact 21? Maybe like 5? So when BYU tells me no drinking, no drugs, no premarital sex, etc., I'm not thinking that they are in fact serious. Maybe that is a ME problem, but I don't feel as if I am out of the norm in this way of thinking.

With that said, BYU was extremely inconsistent in it's heavy hand, dependent on whether you were mormon or not. The girl my buddy banged was mormon and got booted from school. My buddy, a non-mormon football player, was suspended a year but still allowed to stay in school and on the team. In hindsight, I would have had much more respect for the school if they either booted them both or suspended them both.

Again, using hindsight as opposed to what my 17 yr old brain thought at the time, I completely understand the idea of the honor code given what I NOW know about mormonism. I only question whether or not they are truly up front and honest about the honor code to their non-mormon athletes during recruitment time because I know in my case, they were not.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As someone who was actively recruited to go there although I was not Mormon, I will tell you that although I agree in premise, there are two different things in play here. First, for me personally, I was not told about the honor code specifics until I had signed my letter of intent and I did not know (nor did my parents who were immigrants from a largely Catholic country) what this honor code entailed. The reason this is a problem is that once a letter of intent is signed (at least this was the rule 20 years ago), you run the risk of losing a year of sport eligibility of you decide to change your mind and go to another school.
Second, everyone nationally is told that the drinking age is 21 but realistically, how many college freshmen nationwide actually adhere to this law and don't drink until they are in fact 21? Maybe like 5? So when BYU tells me no drinking, no drugs, no premarital sex, etc., I'm not thinking that they are in fact serious. Maybe that is a ME problem, but I don't feel as if I am out of the norm in this way of thinking.

With that said, BYU was extremely inconsistent in it's heavy hand, dependent on whether you were mormon or not. The girl my buddy banged was mormon and got booted from school. My buddy, a non-mormon football player, was suspended a year but still allowed to stay in school and on the team. In hindsight, I would have had much more respect for the school if they either booted them both or suspended them both.

Again, using hindsight as opposed to what my 17 yr old brain thought at the time, I completely understand the idea of the honor code given what I NOW know about mormonism. I only question whether or not they are truly up front and honest about the honor code to their non-mormon athletes during recruitment time because I know in my case, they were not.

20 years ago I think you would have an argument but now a days with the internet and national exposure to such a thing I don't think anybody should be surprised by the rules at BYU. Now as to your underage drinking I think it is less than you think it is now a days. College towns are cracking down on this kind of thing more and more. Now yes it depends which college you go to but there are plenty where I would say at least 50% of students don't drink until they are 21. I went to a major university that was known for partying quite a bit and I knew more people that didn't party than did. And those that did party were usually over 21. Frats and such were a little different but then again even there because of such bad publicity for the universities they have been cracking down on the underage drinking. I remember going to one of the frats after a girl called me because the guys wouldn't let her leave until she showed them her boobs and as soon as I walked in they panicked that one of my group would tell the university what had happened and that they would be shut down (apparently they were on strike 2 for the year).