• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2013 MLB Draft

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giants with the 25th pick take:

Christian Arroyo
5'11" 185lbs
DOB: 05/30/95
Hernando HS (FL)
SS
R/R

Arroyo was Team USA’s starting shortstop on the 18-and-under team last summer in the World Championships in South Korea. He hit .341 in the tournament and helped the national team to a gold medal. Arroyo is a steady presence on the field. He doesn’t stand out for his tools as much as his good baseball instincts and his ability to seemingly rise to the occasion. He makes all the routine plays and has solid range. Arroyo likely won’t ever have much power, but makes good contact and covers the plate well. He is committed to Florida.

Odd, this does not seem to be a position of need, and if he is committed to Florida, perhaps a wasted pick?

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giants with the 25th pick take:

Christian Arroyo
5'11" 185lbs
DOB: 05/30/95
Hernando HS (FL)
SS
R/R

Arroyo was Team USA’s starting shortstop on the 18-and-under team last summer in the World Championships in South Korea. He hit .341 in the tournament and helped the national team to a gold medal. Arroyo is a steady presence on the field. He doesn’t stand out for his tools as much as his good baseball instincts and his ability to seemingly rise to the occasion. He makes all the routine plays and has solid range. Arroyo likely won’t ever have much power, but makes good contact and covers the plate well. He is committed to Florida.

Odd, this does not seem to be a position of need, and if he is committed to Florida, perhaps a wasted pick?

And, it doesn't sound like he is that great of a prospect based on what you have written above. Maybe I'm reading it all wrong, but I want a player with stand-out tools. Do we really want to throw a lot of money at this kid to convince him not to got to college when he is not a stand-out with regard to his tools?

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And, it doesn't sound like he is that great of a prospect based on what you have written above. Maybe I'm reading it all wrong, but I want a player with stand-out tools. Do we really want to throw a lot of money at this kid to convince him not to got to college when he is not a stand-out with regard to his tools?

This was the summary from the MLB.com website on him, not my thoughts.

Also this from Henry Schulman at the SF fishwrap. Geez, don't these papers have editors or spell checkers anymore?

UPDATE: SF Giants? first-round pick loves school, but? | San Francisco Giants: The Splash | an SFGate.com blog

The Giants have a young shortstop in the majors in Brandon Crawford and another good middle infielder at Double-A, 2011 first-round pick Joe Panik. But Barr said given the makeup of this draft, Arroyo’s athleticism stood out and made him the top player on their board when it was there turn to choose.

#grammarfail

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Arroyo had been rumored to the G's for a while now. He is a legit prospect, but apparently he is a reach, and signability below slot may have been a factor to save money for the later rounds.

Robo, what you are describing is a guy who is not available at #25. One of the benefits of winning the World Series.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the second round, they took HS 3B Ryder Jones.

I am SHOCKED they went HS bats in BOTH the 1st and 2nd round. I believe the last time they took a HS bat with their first pick in the first round was Adam Hyzdu. The last time they went HS bats in both 1st and 2nd? I have no idea.

IBWT. (Barr, not Bochy)

Reefer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Definitely surprised they went HS bats with both picks. I've read other places people questioning them taking a SS when Crawford is having a good season with the bat and having Panik in the minors, but isn't the plan to still move Panik to 2B? Also a number of HS players end up moving from SS as they get older because they outgrow the position. I think its more important they identify the player they want and worry about position later, rather have the better player and trade him for a need then a lesser player who fills a hole.

GiantsPackersChamps2011

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BA,Jonathan Mayo had Arroyo outside their Top 125
Some think he is better suited at C (Mayo thinks he can stay at SS)

I don't like the pick, but obviously they (Giants FO) know a lot more than I do. That said they have given us 2 WS but they also have missed plenty of times, so I think as fans we could question it a little. Just my :2cents:

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4 picks in, 3 bats.

I am officially clueless on the draft. I was expecting them go at least 4 pitchers in the first 5 picks.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Definitely surprised they went HS bats with both picks. I've read other places people questioning them taking a SS when Crawford is having a good season with the bat and having Panik in the minors, but isn't the plan to still move Panik to 2B? Also a number of HS players end up moving from SS as they get older because they outgrow the position. I think its more important they identify the player they want and worry about position later, rather have the better player and trade him for a need then a lesser player who fills a hole.

In High School the best athletes are the pitchers or the SS most of the time. There is talk that he may be best fit as a catcher in the future! Kid is just pretty athletic and could end up playing a number of positions. Giants have their own way of doing things, they had this kid as their highest ranked SS available I heard.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I am SHOCKED they went HS bats in BOTH the 1st and 2nd round. I believe the last time they took a HS bat with their first pick in the first round was Adam Hyzdu. The last time they went HS bats in both 1st and 2nd? I have no idea.

IBWT. (Barr, not Bochy)

Kid was also a great pitcher, but they drafted him at 3B. We'll see where they end up putting him.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is almost like the Giants wanted to save money by taking people they know wont sign in the first 2 rounds or sign for a lot less as they are coming out of high school. But the last few picks they have gotten good players. 2 relievers (both closers in college) and a 1b who can play of and plays with a lot of power.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And no college seniors yet. That was their strategy last year to save money.

I am openly admitting ignorance on this draft, and just trust that the guys with multiple rings may have a better idea of what is going on than I do.

At least I HOPE that is the case...

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is almost like the Giants wanted to save money by taking people they know wont sign in the first 2 rounds or sign for a lot less as they are coming out of high school. But the last few picks they have gotten good players. 2 relievers (both closers in college) and a 1b who can play of and plays with a lot of power.

The way the finances are set up now in the draft, if a team were to punt (not sign) their first couple of picks, they lose the pool money allotted from those picks.

I highly doubt they are looking to not sign these guys.

Now, maybe they plan on signing them under-slot, but they are both committed to major schools, so I am not sure that is much of a possibility.

???

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2 HS bats...
3 college righties...
2 SS's...
2 corner IFers...
0 OFers...

Their typical MO is get lefties and OFers and they have yet to pick up either,

Odd Odd Odd

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And there it is...

A college senior OFer.

Does that count as a jinx?

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was actually hoping they'd take Brandon Thomas from Georgia Tech at 252. Alas, he went to the Spanks at 254.

Despite being drafted by the Pirates in the fourth round last year, Thomas, an outfielder, elected to return to Georgia Tech for his senior year. He led the Yellow Jackets in batting average and on-base percentage as a junior and is performing well again this year. A bout of mononucleosis kept him out of action for two weeks, but Thomas has bounced back. His strength gives him power potential, but he emphasizes making contact with a line-drive stroke. Thomas is a plus runner and plays center field for the Yellow Jackets, but will need to improve his routes to stay there as a professional.

Imagine, he could have learned from from both Oxy and Towers!

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
10 rounds complete. A quick summary...

HS Bats - 2
HS arms - 0
College Arms - 5 (4R/1L; 1SR/4JR)
College Bats - 3

2 SS (one is a decent shot at moving to C)
1 1B
1 3B
1 OF
5 P

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL

The giants apparently loved their first two picks so much, the picked them again in the 18th round...

Christian Jones LHP Sr, Or.

ChinMusic

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

IBWT. (Barr, not Bochy)

Per Baggs Tony Torcato was the last HS bat we took in the first round (great precedent lol), and 1972 was the last time we took two in the first two rounds.

Seemed like we were going for an all academic team there for a bit. Out of the first four picks one had a 4.4 GPA in HS, one has committed to Stanford, and one is already attending Stanford.

Also I doubt the first two picks had anything to do with signability. Feel like they're more likely going to require a little over slot if anything, just to lure them away from the colleges they've committed to. A note on Ryder, committed to Stanford, Stanford apparently hasn't lost a major commit to the draft in over a decade. We shall see.