• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2013 MLB Draft

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Per Baggs Tony Torcato was the last HS bat we took in the first round (great precedent lol), and 1972 was the last time we took two in the first two rounds.

Seemed like we were going for an all academic team there for a bit. Out of the first four picks one had a 4.4 GPA in HS, one has committed to Stanford, and one is already attending Stanford.

Also I doubt the first two picks had anything to do with signability. Feel like they're more likely going to require a little over slot if anything, just to lure them away from the colleges they've committed to. A note on Ryder, committed to Stanford, Stanford apparently hasn't lost a major commit to the draft in over a decade. We shall see.

I would be surprised if they took over-slot to sign. Both were picked quick higher than where they were projected.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also like the Brian Ragira pick, 1B out of Stanford. I think he becomes one of our top 1B prospects right away, behind Villalona.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
14 HS picks.

Holy shit! That's 37% of the class!!

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Per Baggs Tony Torcato was the last HS bat we took in the first round (great precedent lol), and 1972 was the last time we took two in the first two rounds.

Seemed like we were going for an all academic team there for a bit. Out of the first four picks one had a 4.4 GPA in HS, one has committed to Stanford, and one is already attending Stanford.

Also I doubt the first two picks had anything to do with signability. Feel like they're more likely going to require a little over slot if anything, just to lure them away from the colleges they've committed to. A note on Ryder, committed to Stanford, Stanford apparently hasn't lost a major commit to the draft in over a decade. We shall see.

Every time I hear the name Tony Torcato, I think of CC Sabathia, who the Indians took with the very next pick. If the Giants had drafted Sabathia, teh Lord would have a World Series ring.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every time I hear the name Tony Torcato, I think of CC Sabathia, who the Indians took with the very next pick. If the Giants had drafted Sabathia, teh Lord would have a World Series ring.

Butterfly effect.

Would we have been in position to get Timmeh, Bum or Posey?

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Butterfly effect.

Would we have been in position to get Timmeh, Bum or Posey?

Exactly....similar to the 'aw man if Pagan didn't get caught stealing Posey's HR would have been for 2 runs' fallacy.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would like to see Cole Irvin on the mound in an SF cap, someday.

I'm on that train. I was able to watch him pitch once this year. He's so skinny, but has plenty of room to grow. He was fun to watch, worked real quickly. Throws a fastball (88-91 mph), curveball (75-ish), changeup (80-ish) IIRC.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm on that train. I was able to watch him pitch once this year. He's so skinny, but has plenty of room to grow. He was fun to watch, worked real quickly. Throws a fastball (88-91 mph), curveball (75-ish), changeup (80-ish) IIRC.

I only got to see him pitch a couple of times because college baseball streams were fairly difficult to come by before the Regionals started. I think he can add 40 pounds, a slider and hone his accuracy to the point of having MadBum-esque stuff. Time will tell, but that kid has pro ball player written all over him.

EDIT: The crowds in Eugene were a little disappointing. It wasn't that close to finals week! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I only got to see him pitch a couple of times because college baseball streams were fairly difficult to come by before the Regionals started. I think he can add 40 pounds, a slider and hone his accuracy to the point of having MadBum-esque stuff. Time will tell, but that kid has pro ball player written all over him.

EDIT: The crowds in Eugene were a little disappointing. It wasn't that close to finals week! ;)

Agreed, he's going to be a high draft pick. His mechanics reminded me a bit of CC Sabathia, hopefully he doesn't add THAT much weight though.

The crowds were pretty bad considering the draw for football. I only went to a few games. Saturday DAY and Sunday games usually filled up though. Finals week just started, so no excuse there IMO! Heck now that I think about it even basketball games wouldn't draw outside of the student section (except the civil war). It's all a football/track town.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed, he's going to be a high draft pick. His mechanics reminded me a bit of CC Sabathia, hopefully he doesn't add THAT much weight though.

The crowds were pretty bad considering the draw for football. I only went to a few games. Saturday DAY and Sunday games usually filled up though. Finals week just started, so no excuse there IMO! Heck now that I think about it even basketball games wouldn't draw outside of the student section (except the civil war). It's all a football/track town.

Sadly, yes, but winners usually bring out some new fans. What? All the drunk sophomores at Duck's Village couldn't stagger over for a late game against Rice? :)

I would have loved to watch real college baseball when I went to U of O, but I understand what you mean. The Eugene/Springfield area decided which sports they would support most a long time ago. Emeralds Stadium was rarely full most of the summer, too. It's a shame because some of the small towns around that area have produced some great baseball players. Brandon Webb grew up in Monroe.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sadly, yes, but winners usually bring out some new fans. What? All the drunk sophomores at Duck's Village couldn't stagger over for a late game against Rice? :)

:laugh3: So true

I would have loved to watch real college baseball when I went to U of O, but I understand what you mean. The Eugene/Springfield area decided which sports they would support most a long time ago. Emeralds Stadium was rarely full most of the summer, too. It's a shame because some of the small towns around that area have produced some great baseball players. Brandon Webb grew up in Monroe.

Well the sad part is the basketball arena still doesn't fill up unless we are playing the Civil War game and we've had 3 straight 20 win seasons. Maybe this year will be the year that changes.

The only thing keeping me from going insane from not seeing baseball is going to ballgames on the weekend, the weather has been too great not to. Eugene just isn't really a baseball town, Oregon really isn't a baseball state, besides Corvallis and Portland. But there has been some good names recently, Jacoby Ellsbury is from Madras, Jeremy Guthrie is from Roseburg. The state of Oregon produces great athletes, they just all come play football or basketball or run track at the UofO. The leftovers go to Corvallis to play baseball :yahoo:

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking back at this draft 11 years later, only 7 of the 33 players who signed made the big leagues (and only 4 of them with the Giants).
Currently, only 3 players are still active. One of them (7th round pick Johneshwy Fargas) is playing in the Mexico League and one of them (1st round pick Christian Arroyo) is in AAA (Nashville, maybe I'll say hey for y'all). The 3rd player? Tyler Rogers, the 10th round pick who signed for $7,500 (less than any of the other picks who signed that year). Based on WAR he is far and away the best pick they made in this draft, besting Arroyo by over 4.8 WAR, and counting.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking back at this draft 11 years later, only 7 of the 33 players who signed made the big leagues (and only 4 of them with the Giants).
Currently, only 3 players are still active. One of them (7th round pick Johneshwy Fargas) is playing in the Mexico League and one of them (1st round pick Christian Arroyo) is in AAA (Nashville, maybe I'll say hey for y'all). The 3rd player? Tyler Rogers, the 10th round pick who signed for $7,500 (less than any of the other picks who signed that year). Based on WAR he is far and away the best pick they made in this draft, besting Arroyo by over 4.8 WAR, and counting.
I'm still bitter: