• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2012 Top Prospects

mistgl

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Brett Bochy pitched another 1.2 scoreless innings tonight, lowering his ERA in Richmond to 1.42

Is he for real? Seems like he came out of nowhere (no jokes about coming from AB's loins...)

Same deal as Wilson, except Weeze was a starter in college and Bochy a closer.

Lil Boch was a top 10 college closer till he blew out his arm early in his junior year. Had he not, kid would have been a 3-10 round pick vs the 20 something round we got him in. We took a flyer on a recovering kid in the 20's (Like wilson) who had dominant stuff. Hopefully is pays off similarly!

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are currently only 39 on the 40. Then we have huff, loux, hacker, manbur...

A 40 spot is not an issue.

Not today, but in Sep Mota will be off the restricted list and back on the 40-man. Villalona might be off the restricted list as well (once he gets his visa straightened out). So, as I said, somebody will have to be dropped from the 40-man to call him up in Sep.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brett Bochy pitched another 1.2 scoreless innings tonight, lowering his ERA in Richmond to 1.42

Is he for real? Seems like he came out of nowhere (no jokes about coming from AB's loins...)

AB: I TOLD HIM THAT EVERY TIME HE FUCKS UP, I'M GONNA PUNCH HIS MAMA IN THE MOUTH.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not today, but in Sep Mota will be off the restricted list and back on the 40-man. Villalona might be off the restricted list as well (once he gets his visa straightened out). So, as I said, somebody will have to be dropped from the 40-man to call him up in Sep.

True, but Huff, Mota, Franchez, Whiteside, Correa, BurrAss, Riot are all candidates to be dropped from the 40. I don't see it as an issue.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True, but Huff, Mota, Franchez, Whiteside, Correa, BurrAss, Riot are all candidates to be dropped from the 40. I don't see it as an issue.

As it stands NOW. But in SEPTEMBER who knows. People were calling for Pagan's head in April - things change. My point was "somebody will have to be dropped". Heck, if both Mota and Villalona come back before Sep, TWO people will have to be dropped for him to be added.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
As it stands NOW. But in SEPTEMBER who knows. People were calling for Pagan's head in April - things change. My point was "somebody will have to be dropped". Heck, if both Mota and Villalona come back before Sep, TWO people will have to be dropped for him to be added.

There's an open spot, though. Right? Also, don't forget about Peavy - he'll need to be be added to the 40 soon.

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's an open spot, though. Right? Also, don't forget about Peavy - he'll need to be be added to the 40 soon.

We picked up Peavy? Sweet deal! When was that, exactly?

Why would the Pale Hose get rid of him? He has a WHIP of less than 1.00 this season so far.

Is this another one of SabeySabes brilliant deals?

:tongue:

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
We picked up Peavy? Sweet deal! When was that, exactly?

Why would the Pale Hose get rid of him? He has a WHIP of less than 1.00 this season so far.

Is this another one of SabeySabes brilliant deals?

:tongue:

whoops.....let that one out of the bag a little early......forget I mentioned it.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There is an open spot *today* because two guys are on the restricted list and thus don't count against the 40-man at the moment - when they are taken off the restricted list they are immediately back on the 40-man (such as when Mota's suspension is over in August). The "open spot" is temporary.

The discussion was about calling Heston up in Sep. At that time Mota will be off the restricted list and back on the 40-man. Yes, there are many moves that could be made to make room on the 40-man, but a move will have to be made (which was my point).

Also, yes, Brad Penny might be added to the 40-man in June or July. Which could complicate things for Sep (lots can happen in 3 months).

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is an open spot *today* because two guys are on the restricted list and thus don't count against the 40-man at the moment - when they are taken off the restricted list they are immediately back on the 40-man (such as when Mota's suspension is over in August). The "open spot" is temporary.

The discussion was about calling Heston up in Sep. At that time Mota will be off the restricted list and back on the 40-man. Yes, there are many moves that could be made to make room on the 40-man, but a move will have to be made (which was my point).

Also, yes, Brad Penny might be added to the 40-man in June or July. Which could complicate things for Sep (lots can happen in 3 months).

But our point is that we have lots of zero-value players that can be dumped in the event that they want to give Heston the cup o' joe this year (which I am not 100% sold on, BTW).

Hacker can be DFA'd with no fear.
Loux can be DFA'd with no fear.
Burriss can be DFA'd with no fear.
Gonnor can be DFA'd with no fear.
Correa can be DFA'd with little fear.

Some of these guys will be DFA'd before then to make room for other mid-season pickups, sure. But when you have 5 DFA-able players, you have flexibility.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

The point was you said this: "Heck, if both Mota and Villalona come back before Sep, TWO people will have to be dropped for him to be added." The open spot means ONE person will need to be dropped, if everything remains the same as today......yada yada yada.

And yeah, I know what your original point was. Give me some credit for being able to read and follow a thread. I was just poking a little fun at you for continuing to hammer an inconsequential point as if was something of great importance that everyone else missed. And, really, your argument has changed from your original post - where you used the word "only".

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
But our point is that we have lots of zero-value players that can be dumped in the event that they want to give Heston the cup o' joe this year (which I am not 100% sold on, BTW).

Some of these guys will be DFA'd before then to make room for other mid-season pickups, sure. But when you have 5 DFA-able players, you have flexibility.

Not CORREA! Live arm, dude.

Also add Huff, Mota, and Villalona. Expect the latter two to be DFA'd.

Last edited by a moderator:

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A new outlook on "flexibility". I much prefer it used in the sense of "so many great guys we have the choice of who we can play" instead of "so much crap that it doesn't matter who we release". ;)

I don't think that the Giants will be so ready to cut Correa and Burriss. The first because this is simply a bad year following a good year and a great one last year (his struggles may be due to him starting again). The second because the Giants seem to have a hard-on for Burriss (which I don't really understand).

Yes, there are people who can (and will) be cut - for multiple reasons. I just don't think that it's a "done deal" that Heston will be up in Sep - it will depend on what happens during the next 3 months. As I said earlier, I wouldn't be surprised either way.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well played sir. That guy is teh suxor.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have been calling him that since about a week after he was called up this season. I didnt think it was that subtle :)

Shut up Cal and just take the damn compliment. Nobody likes a gloater.

:peep:

:heh:

EDIT: I just searched this forum for "gonnor" because I never recalled seeing it before and this is the only thread it came up in.....you got some 'splainin to do Calcy.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
calsnowskier;2007853[B said:
]I have been calling him that since about a week after he was called up this season[/B]. I didnt think it was that subtle :)

I somehow missed it, and I usually study your posts closely.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The point was you said this: "Heck, if both Mota and Villalona come back before Sep, TWO people will have to be dropped for him to be added." The open spot means ONE person will need to be dropped, if everything remains the same as today......yada yada yada.

First, if everything remains the same as today, nobody will have to be dropped because there are currently 39 guys on the 40-man roster.

"Heck, if both Mota and Villalona come back before Sep, TWO people will have to be dropped for him to be added."

Well, since you say you are able to read and follow a thread, I guess this is an arithmetic problem.

An exercise in arithmetic:
39 guys on a list whose max is 40 (one open spot).
Two guys (Mota and Villalona) coming off the restricted list : 39+2 = 41.
Adding a guy (Heston) makes 42. (41 + 1 = 42)
Thus two need to be dropped to make 40. (42 - 2 = 0)

I hope the above helps you understand why two people would have to be dropped from the 40-man roster to make room for Heston if both Mota and Villalona come back before Sep.

And yeah, I know what your original point was. Give me some credit for being able to read and follow a thread. I was just poking a little fun at you for continuing to hammer an inconsequential point as if was something of great importance that everyone else missed. And, really, your argument has changed from your original post - where you used the word "only".

I am responding to other people's posts, so I guess I'm not the only one to "hammer an inconsequential point as if was something of great importance that everyone else missed".

I really don't see how answering a post of "He'll be up in September." with "Only if people are dropped from the 40-man between now and then" is somehow different than saying "So, as I said, somebody will have to be dropped from the 40-man to call him up in Sep" or My point was "somebody will have to be dropped" or "but a move will have to be made (which was my point)". To me, they all say the same thing. Having "Only" in just one of the sentences doesn't negate the point being made. Maybe if I put it in a single sentence for you?

"He'll be up in September only if people are dropped from the 40-man between now and then".

I suppose you can continue to "hammer an inconsequential point as if was something of great importance" ...

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I nominate this thread (just the last 2 pages) for shittiest thread of the year.

Let it go, guys. I'm sure you all have huge schlongs.