• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2012 Top Prospects

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What can you guys tell us about Roger Kieschnick? He is tearing it up at Fresno.

1.021 OPS 11 HR

He seems to be moving up the minors fast. Cup of coffee in September, given the crowded outfield?

Since he's already on the 40-man, I definitely see him as a Sep callup, even if he finishes the year with an OPS of .800 (which isn't that impressive in the PCL). The Giants will want to see how he does against MLB pitching, to judge if they can use him in 2013. Melky can play center as can Blanco, so Pagan is most likely gone if they can have Kieschnick for $500K.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since he's already on the 40-man, I definitely see him as a Sep callup, even if he finishes the year with an OPS of .800 (which isn't that impressive in the PCL). The Giants will want to see how he does against MLB pitching, to judge if they can use him in 2013. Melky can play center as can Blanco, so Pagan is most likely gone if they can have Kieschnick for $500K.

Doesn't it depend on if Pagan keeps this pace up? If he finishes with the slash line he has now don't they have to sign him?

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm thinking he may be up quicker than that, if either an OF goes down or Nate and/or Pill continue to struggle.

The great thing about Oxy's deal is that we get four more months to evaluate whether we want to extend him.

Melkman will get a 3 year deal at the ASB. You read it here first.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesn't it depend on if Pagan keeps this pace up? If he finishes with the slash line he has now don't they have to sign him?

Yup. Great deal for the G's. A guy who can't stay healthy who was probably a one year wonder and a decent MR arm for a year of Oxy and the chance to evaluate him close up.

SabeySabes has made some bad deals (RoRo, Alfonso, Huffer) but he's also made some damn good ones (Oxy, Melkman, Lopez, KCYa) too.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup. Great deal for the G's. A guy who can't stay healthy who was probably a one year wonder and a decent MR arm for a year of Oxy and the chance to evaluate him close up.

SabeySabes has made some bad deals (RoRo, Alfonso, Huffer) but he's also made some damn good ones (Oxy, Melkman, Lopez, KCYa) too.

You can say this about any GM, and I would argue Sabes makes more good than bad, compared to his peers. I still think he's a B+ level GM.

mistgl

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Depends on what they get at the deadline, imo. If we just settle on shoring up the middle infield with a competent 2B, then I could see them making a serious run at Pagan. OTH, if they go for a corner outfield bat (the only obvious names are Willingham and Carlos Lee...not exactly awe inspiring) that is worth their weight, I could see them trying to keep that person.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If they can sign both Pagan and Cabrera, sure. But if they can onlt sign one of them, I'd go for Melky, and not just because of the offense - there's also the much, MUCH better defense over Pagan.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm thinking he may be up quicker than that, if either an OF goes down or Nate and/or Pill continue to struggle.

The great thing about Oxy's deal is that we get four more months to evaluate whether we want to extend him.

Melkman will get a 3 year deal at the ASB. You read it here first.

Unless somebody pulls a "Winn" and throws a huge contract at him during the season ...

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Kieschnick has a shot at a decent player in the future. I like the way he has improved his weaknesses.

He is finally starting to learn the strike zone after being completely hopeless is first few seasons in the lower minors, as evident by his 10.7% BB rate and a .425 wOBP. Both of those are highs in his career. While most of his numbers wont be sustained (.383 BABIP, .308 ! ISO, very very high) and a higher BB rate would be ideal, he still should make a nice impression and has a good chance to make an impact.

Couple things that still worry me, no word on his defense (after back injuries, it could be rough) and his speed is completely gone (though it could be the AAA manager not liking to run guys).

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they can sign both Pagan and Cabrera, sure. But if they can onlt sign one of them, I'd go for Melky, and not just because of the offense - there's also the much, MUCH better defense over Pagan.

You really believe that? Cabrera definitely has a better arm, but it's also more erratic. They are similar speed-wise, but I question Melky's routes more often than Pagan's. Angel has certainly looked foolish on a few plays this year, but those were mostly due to thinking he could get to balls that he should have tried to play on the hop. Granted, if he did a better job of judging those off of the bat and his jump were better, he would have made some of those plays easily.

I think you're giving M-Cab a little too much defensive credit for avoiding some of the bone-headed mistakes that he has made in the past, while punishing Pagan for trying to do too much. I agree with signing Melky over Angel, if that choice becomes necessary, though. He is gonna get expensive in the off-season, even if he does come back to Earth soon.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"fastest guy in the organization?"

Brown? Blanco? Pagan?

Kelby was only moderately on my radar, but if he has Brown speed +++ (is this caused by the brown note?), that is impressive.

There is some speed in Augusta then, Payne, Tomlinson, Galindo, Willoughby dayunm!

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You really believe that? Cabrera definitely has a better arm, but it's also more erratic. They are similar speed-wise, but I question Melky's routes more often than Pagan's. Angel has certainly looked foolish on a few plays this year, but those were mostly due to thinking he could get to balls that he should have tried to play on the hop. Granted, if he did a better job of judging those off of the bat and his jump were better, he would have made some of those plays easily.

I think you're giving M-Cab a little too much defensive credit for avoiding some of the bone-headed mistakes that he has made in the past, while punishing Pagan for trying to do too much. I agree with signing Melky over Angel, if that choice becomes necessary, though. He is gonna get expensive in the off-season, even if he does come back to Earth soon.

Oxy's lack of hustle sometimes drives me crazy, then bone-head mistakes does it too. So far, Melk has not done that for me yet.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW, George Kontos (AKA, Chris Stewart) is mowing down batters in AAA. He'll be a Pen candidate while the last couple spots continue to be a revolving door.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oxy's lack of hustle sometimes drives me crazy, then bone-head mistakes does it too. So far, Melk has not done that for me yet.

Agreed. No one can say anything bad about Teh Melk Man yet. Well, they could, but no Giants' fans would listen. I think the defensive play from Pagan has been the exception, not the rule. Unless a lack of focus and lapse in hustle is normal for him, which I have never read or heard before. With Cabrera...

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless somebody pulls a "Winn" and throws a huge contract at him during the season ...

Not sure where you're going or what you're implying here. The ASB IS during the season and no other team can negotiate with Melkman but us.

Did I miss it?

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

{cough, cough} Did anybody else see that throw to the plate ... ????

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure where you're going or what you're implying here. The ASB IS during the season and no other team can negotiate with Melkman but us.

Did I miss it?

I thought I BOLDED what I was commenting on, apparently not.

The great thing about Oxy's deal is that we get four more months to evaluate

My response : Unless somebody pulls a "Winn" and throws a huge contract at him during the season ...

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought I BOLDED what I was commenting on, apparently not.

The great thing about Oxy's deal is that we get four more months to evaluate

My response : Unless somebody pulls a "Winn" and throws a huge contract at him during the season ...

Ahhh, I get it. By "somebody" you mean "Sabean" and by "pulls a Winn" you mean "extends him midseason."

Odd of that are pretty low, I'd think.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Usually, I'm on top of minor league happenings, but apparently Andrew Susac was suspended on Friday for jacking some asshat in the jaw during a skirmish. Four games, which means he can return to action tomorrow.

Don' fuck wit da Susac.