• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2012 Top Prospects

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
.... double post, don't judge me!

With the addition of a talent like Stratton, it makes me feel way better about or minor league system. Combine that with Crick and Blackburn doing what needs to be done in low A, and the future looks bright.

I know we have more SP in the system, but those three are easily my favorite Giants in the minors right now.

Another that I missed from my list is Mejia. He started the season REAL rough, but has turned it on over the last few weeks.

He was a Latin diamond with #1 potential.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another that I missed from my list is Mejia. He started the season REAL rough, but has turned it on over the last few weeks.

He was a Latin diamond with #1 potential.

Isn't Mejia a reliever?

mistgl

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Isn't Mejia a reliever?

SP His innings are low cause he started out the year getting lit up like a crate full of fire works. But, like Cal said, he's started to settle down A LOT. Super young, so he could be a left handed Tehran, or he could be a mega bust. I trust this or to develop pitchers with #1 stuff

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea, the Giants are UBER stacked at SP in the minors again

Crick
Heston
Kickham
Marlow
Surkamp
Stratton
Agosta

Blackburn, Mejia and also Osich. Osich is a reliever right now while they build his arm strength up, but he has electric stuff from the left side (#2 starter potential)

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK, I put on my "brown" pants for this one.

2012 Prospect Watch | SFGiants.com: Prospects

According to MLB.com, of our top 5 prospects, 3 are hitters, 2 are pitchers.

The 2012 OPS of the three hitters are: .614, .641, and .658

The top two pitchers have ERA's of 5.06 and DNP. The DNP is because a strained flexor tendon in his left hand has sidelined him thus far in 2012.

Just sayin.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The top two pitchers have ERA's of 5.06 and DNP. The DNP is because a strained flexor tendon in his left hand has sidelined him thus far in 2012.

Just sayin.

A little 'brown' but also a dose of realism. Prospects usually amount to jack squat. Even most of the ones that seem like no doubters that you'd never part with for anything turn into....Brandon Belt/Todd Linden/John Bowker.

Belt still has a little time to turn into something but it's running out

If every team's fans actually got to see their prospects achieve the 'ceilings' they 'project' them to, veterans would be out of the league in 5 years because of all the MLB quality players coming out of the minors.

mistgl

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Just sayin.

The second he signs, Stratton is easily our top prospect. Brown is struggling with good pitching, so is Joseph. Hembree's ERA is misleading - from everything i've read (other than Baggs pantshat fest) says he's working on his off speed stuff. Experimenting combined with an offensive league = crooked numbers. I don't think they're indicative of his true talent, we all know he can blow one by people. Surkamp was a long shot to begin with.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The second he signs, Stratton is easily our top prospect. Brown is struggling with good pitching, so is Joseph. Hembree's ERA is misleading - from everything i've read (other than Baggs pantshat fest) says he's working on his off speed stuff. Experimenting combined with an offensive league = crooked numbers. I don't think they're indicative of his true talent, we all know he can blow one by people. Surkamp was a long shot to begin with.

Stratton appears good, and relatively ready, but to rank him ahead of Crick, Blackburn, Panik, ToJo and maybe even Hembree and Brown is a bit premature. His ceiling almost certainly does not match Crick or Blackburns, and both of them are putting up numbers against other pros.

Let Stratton take the mound against other professionals first. As of this second, with a gun to my head, I would probably rate Stratton at about #6.

mistgl

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Stratton appears good, and relatively ready, but to rank him ahead of Crick, Blackburn, Panik, ToJo and maybe even Hembree and Brown is a bit premature. His ceiling almost certainly does not match Crick or Blackburns, and both of them are putting up numbers against other pros.

Let Stratton take the mound against other professionals first. As of this second, with a gun to my head, I would probably rate Stratton at about #6.

Come next year, Stratton will be the only player ranked in anyone top 100 list, and I don't think that's too bold a prediction.

I think you are greatly underestimating the the struggles that Brown, Joseph, and Panik are having this year. By all accounts, Brown and Panik have looked flat out awful, and Joseph is still super raw. Prospect evaluators are just about as fair weather as they come, and it's all about what have they done for you lately.

As far as Crick and Blackburn go, that's a tough call. When the rankings come out, a lot of weight is going to be put on Strattons polish and how much closer to the majors he is. If I had to rank ceilings it would probably go Crick, Stratton, Blackburn. I think Stratton and Blackburn both have 2/3 ceilings, but I give the nudge to the more polished player atm.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Come next year, Stratton will be the only player ranked in anyone top 100 list, and I don't think that's too bold a prediction.

I think you are greatly underestimating the the struggles that Brown, Joseph, and Panik are having this year. By all accounts, Brown and Panik have looked flat out awful, and Joseph is still super raw. Prospect evaluators are just about as fair weather as they come, and it's all about what have they done for you lately.

As far as Crick and Blackburn go, that's a tough call. When the rankings come out, a lot of weight is going to be put on Strattons polish and how much closer to the majors he is. If I had to rank ceilings it would probably go Crick, Stratton, Blackburn. I think Stratton and Blackburn both have 2/3 ceilings, but I give the nudge to the more polished player atm.

Brown has been super exposed. I think it is POSSIBLE that he is close to a bust (from some of the reports I have heard that he may have to be completely broken down to the basics with his swing). I think I alluded to that when I dropped him to the second tier of top prospects in my post.

However, Panik has begun to turn it on, so I am FAR from writing him off. ToJo has actually not had a horrible year, considering he is still super young, and in a legendarily pitching friendly league.

As far as comparing the polish on Crick, Blackburn and Stratton, give me a seasons worth of pro ball over a college career any day if the week. Crick has been putting up good numbers against professionals two or three years his senior. Stratton has been doing it against amateurs his age or younger.

I tend to agree that Stratton will get his coffee before Crick. However, if I could only have one if them in the org right now, I would take Crick.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Tommy Joseph has struggled? Not by any measure I can see.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Panik hasn't been struggling. I'll take a 24/30 K/BB ratio and 17 doubles (which is tied for 5th in that league) from a middle infielder anyday. He's hasn't been too short of expectations quite yet (a raise in batting average wouldn't hurt though).

ToJo is progressing very nicely on defense still and he is holding his own in the pitchers league.

Brown doesn't have going for him right now unfortunately.

Giantsmojo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Taking a wild stab at our top 10 prospects for 2013

1. Chris Stratton RHP - 20th pick in 2012, Polished pitcher with Fastball, Slider, change and curve. Potential 2/3

2. Kyle Crick RHP - 49th pick in 2011, 19 years old with a fastball that can flirt with triple digits. Potential 2/3

3. Tommy Joseph C/1B - 55th pick in 2009, 20 yeras old with a lot of power potential.

4. Martin Agosta RHP - 84th pick in 2012, Polished pitcher with fastball change, curve and cutter. Potential 2/3

5. Joseph Panik 2B/SS - 29th pick in 2011, good BB/SO, with some pop.

6. Heath Hembre RHP - Future closer, Fastball flirts with triple digits

7. Clayton Blackburn RHP - 507th pick in 2011, FB sits in the low 90's but has good sink and keeps it low, he also throws a change and a curve. Potential 3/4

8. Gary Brown CF - 24th pick in 2010, Great speed and good defense.

9. Brett Bochy RHP - 618th pick in 2010, if the size of his father's head is the dominant gene, as a pitcher Bochy will create shadows that will distract hitters which is probably why he is mowing down the hitters in the Eastern League. Day Games 0.00 ERA and only 5 base runners, Night games 2.50 ERA and 16 Base runners.

10. Andrew Susac C - He shares my Birthday and Tzill's head would :boom: if he was left off.

mistgl

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Pretty good list, but Blackburn has 2/3 potential! He's easily our third best SP prospect

SFGiants31

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Blackburn just got through pitching the first game of a doubleheader..Another strong start. He is the best SP prospect in the organization IMO Lowered his ERA to 2.88

IP 6 H 2 R 1 ER 1 BB 1 SO 5 ERA 2.88

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Blackburn just got through pitching the first game of a doubleheader..Another strong start. He is the best SP prospect in the organization IMO Lowered his ERA to 2.88

Welcome aboard, 31.

A small warning...

Not sure how you are going to like this place, as we are quite harsh on the I's...

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Welcome, 31. If you're going to read/post with any regularity you may want to check out the Board Language thread as we tend to get "clubby" that way.

mistgl

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

He's definitely the most polished between him and Crick (I give him some slack because this is only his second year pitching, let alone being a SP), and should rise faster as well.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Welcome aboard, 31.

A small warning...

Not sure how you are going to like this place, as we are quite harsh on the I's...

Welcome, 31. If you're going to read/post with any regularity you may want to check out the Board Language thread as we tend to get "clubby" that way.

Yes, like figuring out what "the I's " means.