• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2012 Rookies

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Brittle Britt bristles at Goodell
8:29AM ET
Kenny Britt | Titans

Kenny Britt remains in a holding pattern, unsure of both when he will be healthy enough to get back on the field as well as if the league will allow him to do so when he is.

Britt is currently on the PUP list with injuries in both of his knees and there is renewed optimism that the wide receiver will be able to play in the final preseason game against New Orleans on August 30. The problem is that Britt is also awaiting word from commissioner Roger Goodell about a possible suspension stemming from his most recent run-in with the law, DUI charges he received last month.

Britt seemed frustrated with the lack of action from the league office, telling The Tennesseean, "(Goodell said) he would think about it and get to me as soon as possible, sooner or later." And the later that hammer comes down, the less likely it will be that Britt will be a big part of this Tennessee Titans offense, assuming his knees allow him to suit up at all in the first place.

With rookie Kendall Wright doing a nice job so far in camp, we're not so sure the Titans care one way or the other how this all turns out for Britt.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Lindley trying to earn spot
7:39AM ET
Ryan Lindley | Cardinals

Neither Kevin Kolb nor John Skelton have done much of anything to take a big lead in the race to become the Arizona Cardinals No. 1 quarterback for the upcoming season. While it looks like Skelton may be slightly ahead at the moment, Kolb will be given a chance to step up in the next two weeks and win the support of both the coaching staff and the fans. Currently, those fans seem to be looking in a different direction completely..

Ryan Lindley, a sixth-round draft pick from San Diego State, is trying to unseat Richard Bartel as the team's No. 3 quarterback. He's played so well in the preseason that fans are starting to get behind him for the No. 1 job. Lindley has gone 16 of 32 passes for 166 yards with one interception in the Cardinals' two preseason games and impressed Ken Whisenhunt immensely.

While it's a long way from doing a nice job in games that don't count to suiting up in games that do, Lindley's performance has made the lack of luster from Kolb and Skelton all the more noticeable. He's not helping the situation, but he may well make the team.

- AJ Mass​

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Top rookie fantasy picks, sleepers
Alshon Jeffery, Kendall Wright among rookies who could put up big numbers
Originally Published: August 15, 2012
By Mel Kiper Jr. | ESPN Insider

Andrew Luck and Robert Griffin III should have success as rookies. But who are some sleepers?

Generally speaking, when it comes to NFL rookies, fantasy stardom isn't in the cards.

Cam Newton may have had one of the greatest statistical seasons for a rookie in NFL history in terms of raw fantasy stats in 2011, but if you owned him after a Week 4 loss to the Bears where he threw for 374 yards and ran for two touchdowns, you may have been a little disappointed. Not once after that game did Newton crack the 300-yard mark as a passer, and in seven of the remaining games, he threw one or zero touchdowns. But Newton had tremendous value as a runner, rushing for 10 touchdowns over the final 12 games.

Point being, rookies -- even the best ones -- are where you find value, not the linchpin in a great fantasy team. This season, Newton's average draft position is 17.4. The highest rookie? You can't find one until average pick No. 37, when Trent Richardson of the Cleveland Browns is coming off the board.

For this exercise, I'll mix obvious choices, guys I suspect may create some value and sleepers. I'll also point out some why-not cases, in which I'd advise you to stay away and not buy into the hype.

The obvious

QB Andrew Luck: In ESPN leagues, Luck is, on average, the No. 16 quarterback off the board, just behind Jay Cutler and just ahead of Alex Smith. This might sound optimistic, but I can see Luck putting up pretty significant totals (3,600-4,000 yards). He is going to look remarkably comfortable and familiar in Bruce Arians' offense right out of the gate -- the Colts did great work in the draft to find some weapons for Luck -- and the Colts will be playing from behind a lot this season. I don't think it's merely hype that has him being drafted higher than plenty of more established starters.

QB Robert Griffin III: I don't see RG3 putting up quite the same totals as Luck because he faces a steeper learning curve, but he does have a better set of weapons. Plus, Griffin can use his feet in the red zone -- though I can assure you the Redskins don't want games to turn into a regular display of RG3's running ability. I'd draft him lower than Luck, but he is being taken four quarterbacks earlier on average.

RB Doug Martin: He is being taken No. 30 among running backs, and I wouldn't put a 1,000-yard season out of the question for a healthy Martin. He is reliable as a runner, holds onto the ball (where LeGarrette Blount loses points) and will catch passes, adding value.

RB David Wilson: The Giants didn't take the explosive Wilson in the first round as an insurance plan. The stretch where Ahmad Bradshaw missed four games last season really limited the Giants running game, and I can see a 50-50 split in carries. Bradshaw has carried more than 175 times just once in five seasons. Wilson will pick up the other half.

Why not:

WR Stephen Hill: I know, I know. He is already a starter. But Hill has a lot to learn about more complex passing schemes and route-running, and the Jets are still finding ways to get Tim Tebow more involved in the offense. Suffice to say, "fantasy potency" and "Jets passing game" don't belong in the same sentence.

RB Trent Richardson: I don't doubt the ability; I just want to see him healthy. The Browns should be careful with him, and I suspect they will be.

Don't be surprised

RB Isaiah Pead: Ranked No. 64 on ESPN draft boards among running backs, Pead should be much higher. He gives the Rams running game the explosiveness it has lacked, and Steven Jackson's carry total dipped by 70 from 2010 to 2011. The Rams might want to see that number drop further. Pead could be a steal.

TEs Coby Fleener/Dwayne Allen: Combined, I can see this tandem catching 50-60 passes for 800-1,000 yards. Luck loves his tight ends, and these guys could be touchdown-makers, particularly in the red zone. I'd go with Fleener first, but don't sleep on Allen.

WR Alshon Jeffery: He has looked good early and becomes a constant matchup advantage if teams want to help on Brandon Marshall. I'm leery of saying Jeffery can be a big yardage guy this season because the Bears are determined to run better and spread the ball around in the passing game, but he could quickly become the No. 2 man behind Marshall and be a touchdown poacher.

WR Kendall Wright: If Kenny Britt gets suspended, Wright could pick up the slack. He is ranked No. 52 among wide receivers in selection order.

RB LaMichael James: Unless Alex Smith becomes a quarterback I haven't yet seen, there is no guarantee that the new additions to the San Francisco passing game will amount to more explosiveness for this offense. In handing the ball to James, as well as throwing to him, Jim Harbaugh can create big plays without asking Smith to stretch his comfort zone. I wouldn't be surprised to see James get his share of touches.

WR Travis Benjamin: You won't be taking Cleveland pass-catchers high in any draft, but Benjamin is a sleeper. I could see him getting a lot of Mohamed Massaquoi's reps and creating some big plays for an offense that could use them.

Why not:

WR A.J. Jenkins: The first-round pick is a fourth or fifth option in the San Francisco passing game. That doesn't scream fantasy value.

Sleepers

WR LaVon Brazill: A draft sleeper out of Ohio, he could get plenty of first-team reps this season on a team where Reggie Wayne and Austin Collie are the top wide receiver options.

WR Rueben Randle: He provides size and matchup problems that backups Jerrel Jernigan and Domenik Hixon don't. He could work his way into the mix early, and we have seen guys explode if Eli Manning finds a comfort zone with them. Hakeem Nicks' foot issues are also in play.

RB Cyrus Gray: This is a player with legitimate breakaway speed who dropped to the late rounds only because of health. Jamaal Charles is coming off an ACL tear, and Peyton Hillis lacks explosiveness and has a tendency to put the ball on the ground. Gray could get his shot at some point.

WR T.J. Graham: Buffalo could use some run-after-the-catch ability outside of splitting C.J. Spiller out, and Graham can flat-out fly. Chan Gailey should find some touches for him.

TE Michael Egnew: The Miami passing game could be limited by its quarterbacks, but Egnew could come on later because he has great hands and athleticism. A young quarterback can be helped by a tight end that not only separates but has a wide catch radius. That's Egnew.

WR T.Y. Hilton: Arians got the ball to a number of wide receivers in Pittsburgh, and if he floods coverages in Indy, Hilton could be a sleeper. He is probably a slot guy, but Hilton has plenty of explosiveness and run-after-the-catch ability.

TE Taylor Thompson: A defensive end in college, the Titans hope Thompson can be the next Antonio Gates or Jimmy Graham. With Thompson, it's all about the profile -- 6-foot-6 and 260 pounds for a guy who can really run. Don't grab him expecting anything soon, but he is a fun sleeper to watch.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
@Panthers
CB Josh Norman has made his fourth interception of the day. Three occurred in the past half hour.

I swear this is the most talented CB class I've followed

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Floyd still behind Roberts: The Cardinals official team website reports that rookie receiver Michael Floyd hopes to make an impact this season. “I just want to get on the field and be productive,” Floyd said. “I want to help the team any way I can. When the ball comes to me, it’s my time to make a play. They expect me to make a play and be successful and that’s what I’m going to do.” Floyd enters the year behind Andre Roberts – currently ahead of Floyd on the depth chart – and Early Doucet could also take away targets. Floyd understands that. For the fans calling for Floyd to be in the starting lineup now – “I hear them,” he said – the Notre Dame product said “it doesn’t matter.” “Andre, who I’m behind, is a great wide receiver,” Floyd said. “And Early. And Larry (Fitzgerald). It’s about developing. You can’t just come in here and start automatically, even if you are a first-round pick. You’ve got to make your way.”
(Updated 08/16/2012)

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Demps' impact for the Pats
1:08PM ET
New England Patriots

With the news coming in that former Florida RB -- and Olympic sprinter -- Jeff Demps had reached an agreement with the New England Patriots -- per NFL.com -- we look ahead to just how they'll make use of the speedster during his rookie campaign.

While Demps has been projected as a player that could have a Darren Sproles-type role on offense, that may be a tad optimistic for him in Year 1, considering that he'll be joining the Pats in the middle of the preseason. But one area where he can make an impact right away is as the club's kick returner, which had been a deficiency:

- Tim Kavanagh​

Mike Reiss
Demps could fill this need

"Early in the 2010 season, the Patriots' kickoff return game was one of the most explosive in the NFL. Receiver Brandon Tate, a 2009 third-round pick, was a dynamic presence whose contributions as a returner directly led to victories. But Tate tailed off, ultimately was cut during the 2011 training camp, and the kickoff return unit has been evolving since."

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Miami Dolphins to start rookie quarterback Ryan Tannehill on Friday - ESPN

Tannehill promoted permanently?
9:54AM ET
Ryan Tannehill | Dolphins

Through much of the Miami Dolphins' off- and preseason, veteran David Garrard looked like their best option at QB. But after Garrard sustained a knee injury -- he'll be out a few more weeks -- it became a two-horse race between holdover starter Matt Moore and No. 8 overall draft pick Ryan Tannehill. (Sorry, Delaware fans, Pat Devlin does not appear to have much of a shot at this). During Wednesday's practice, Tannehill took more first-team snaps, and it appears that that was a harbinger for Friday's preseason contest.

According to ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter, the Dolphins will go with Tannehill as their starter against the Carolina Panthers.

We like to look ahead here at NFL RC, so the question in this case now becomes: What must Tannehill do to retain those starting reins into the regular season? He had some ups and downs in the club's initial preseason contest, but finished with a strong statline, and appeared to be in control of the offense (albeit against Tampa Bay's backups). Playing against the Panthers' first string D, he will indeed have a chance to prove that he's capable of starting Week 1 with a strong performance.

Jeff Darlington of NFL.com reports that Dolphins HC Joe Philbin wants to have his regular season starter squared away after Friday's contest is over, so the opportunity is certainly there. Earlier this week, ESPN AFC East blogger James Walker argued that the time is now for Tannehill to take over:

- Tim Kavanagh​

James Walker
It's time for Tannehill to start

"The Dolphins are not a playoff team regardless of whether Garrard, Moore or Tannehill is the quarterback. Therefore, you're better off playing the rookie who can develop into your long-term solution. Philbin and Tannehill can take their lumps together this season and learn on the job. Then, the pair will be well-positioned to take flight for Miami in 2013."

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Blackmon's early role
2:12PM ET
Justin Blackmon | Jaguars

Jacksonville Jaguars rookie WR Justin Blackmon is behind the curve a bit, given that his holdout meant that he missed 12 days of training camp. But he's back now, and set to debut in this weekend's preseason contest, according to Vito Stellino of the Florida Times-Union.

"We will try to get him the ball," Jags OC Bob Bratkowski indicated. "It'll be nice to get him the ball and get him a few catches and try to get him in the flow of things if we can do that. But the defense does dictate where the ball can go."

One way to get him in open space is to move him around to different spots in the formation. It's recently been suggested that the Jags should put Blackmon in the slot -- at least early on -- in order to get the most out of him in what could be limited action. Whether they adopt that strategy remains to be seen.

ESPN AFC South blogger Paul Kuharsky previews Blackmon's big debut:

- Tim Kavanagh​

Paul Kuharsky
What to expect from tonight's game

"The rookie receiver is a strong and physical player. Will he show that off in his preseason debut? An offseason DUI arrest and a lengthy contract dispute meant negative storylines for Blackmon this offseason. Against the Saints, he'll get the chance to change things. A solid showing can energize the offense, the team and the fan base. It would be awfully helpful. An average night would be fine and is what we should probably expect. A dud would obviously hurt."

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Vick is hurt, again...Foles comes in and is looking darn good. I don't give a rat's a$$ that it's preseason but my boy looks good playing in that offense. He still looks a bit confuse at times though but you can tell he gets it playing in this league.