• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2012 Rookies

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In other QB news, Ryan Tannehill was announced as the Dolphins' starter.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Hard Knocks has made me become a fan of RT. Regardless of how his career pans out, I will always cheer for this guy. Funny charismatic kid with lots of talent. He can throw on the run almost as good as Luck, Big Ben, Rodgers.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Gordon the Browns' top WR?
11:09AM ET
Cleveland Browns

The Cleveland Browns' acquisition of WR Josh Gordon in the supplemental draft was no surprise to anyone; the club's lack of playmakers at the position was evident, so getting a player they believed could be a top-flight target was vital this offseason. His first two preseason games have shown some encouraging signs -- he managed two receptions for 38 yards in the second -- and in the opinion of Steve Doerschuk of the Canton Repository, he's shaping up as rookie QB Brandon Weeden's top option:

"Everybody has talked about the experience Josh Gordon lacks. It's time to take notice of the experience he is acquiring. After some rough spots in training camp, Gordon looked brilliant -- at least in the context of Browns wide receivers -- for a second straight practice."

ESPN AFC North blogger Jamison Hensley wrote earlier this preseason that the opportunity is certainly there for Gordon to make an impact right away:

- Tim Kavanagh​

Jamison Hensley
He could be a special one

"The development of Gordon will determine the success of the Browns' passing game. Cleveland used a second-round pick in the supplemental draft on someone who is on the fast track to becoming the No. 1 receiver on the team. Gordon's three failed drug tests makes him a risk, but it was a risk that the Browns had to take considering they have one of the worst wide receiver groups in the league. Gordon has the size (6 feet 3) and breakaway speed to be a top target, which prompted one league executive to say he has 'Randy Moss-like' talents. On one route over the middle, Gordon never broke stride as two defenders bounced off of him. His height will show up on fade routes in the end zone, and his size will benefit him on slant routes."

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Wilson's role expanding?
9:38AM ET
David Wilson | Giants

At this point of New York Giants RB Ahmad Bradshaw's career, his health will continue to be an issue. The Marshall product has had multiple stress fractures in his feet, played in only 12 games during the 2011 regular season and had to have an injection to play through the postseason. So it wasn't too surprising to see the team take an RB with their first-round pick in the draft this offseason, landing Virginia Tech's David Wilson No. 32 overall.

This preseason -- as Wilson has continued to show bursts of his potential -- Bradshaw has already gotten hurt, suffering a hand injury in preseason game No. 2 over this past weekend. During Monday's practice, something quite captivating occurred: instead of D.J. Ware or Andre Brown getting the first-team reps in place of Bradshaw, it was Wilson, according to Ohm Youngmisuk of ESPNNewYork.com. Giants HC Tom Coughlin was quick to caution against anyone looking into this as Wilson taking over as the No. 2 RB slot.

"Just the fact that he hasn't had those reps with the first group, and we want to take a look at that," Coughlin explained. "This was scheduled. David's going to move up, and get some plays with the ones."

Though there are a lot of fans of the Super Bowl champs out there, some of those in the RC readership are here just for fantasy tidbits. Earlier this offseason, ESPN's Christopher Harris offered the fantasy angle on Wilson's selection by the Giants:

- Tim Kavanagh​

Christopher Harris
Comparable to McCoy

"Wilson has meteoric possibilities but a couple of pretty major red flags. He's a track star who doesn't shy away from contact despite a relatively squat frame, but he's not a natural receiver, he doesn't always get what's blocked because he tries to hit home runs, he fumbles a lot (seven times in '11 alone), and his vision isn't great. Honestly, Wilson is a lot like the man he'll share the Giants' backfield with, Ahmad Bradshaw, though an even better comparison for running style might be LeSean McCoy (without McCoy's tremendous pass-catching chops). With Brandon Jacobs gone and only D.J. Ware and Da'Rel Scott on the roster behind Bradshaw, Wilson is going to get plenty of chances to serve as a complementary back. And because Bradshaw isn't always the picture of durability, that could work into an even larger role. Like Martin, Wilson will be drafted in all fantasy leagues. Unlike Doug Martin, Wilson won't lead his team in RB touches. He'll likely see 8-10 touches per game while Bradshaw sees 15-20, at least to begin the season. But he'll make a few breathtaking, long runs that should whet his fantasy owners' appetites.."

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Foles pushing for backup job
7:32AM ET
Philadelphia Eagles

Two preseason games, two injuries for Michael Vick. While both of the issues -- a thumb that was jammed against a teammate's helmet in preseason game No. 1 and a rib injury that was the result of a tackle -- resulted in no broken bones, the injuries have further proven the point that the Philadelphia Eagles need to have a strong contingency plan for when (not if) Vick is knocked out of action this season. And while Mike Kafka entered the preseason as the man who would fill that void, it appears that he may be overtaken by another young passer.

Given how early Vick was knocked out, Nick Foles entered the game playing with and against some first-team players -- unlike the club's first preseason game when he put up gaudy stats playing with and against second- and third-stringers. And he didn't disappoint, finishing 18-of-28 for 217 yards and two TD passes. Eagles HC Andy Reid has not officially bestowed the No. 2 job to the Arizona product, but he did have some praise for him after the contest.

"I credit the kid," Reid said, per the Philadelphia Inquirer. "He's a young guy, and you can see him progress and get better every opportunity he has."

The Eagles will need to decide soon which player -- Kafka or Foles -- provides the best chance to get some wins during Vick's likely absence this season. ESPN NFC East blogger Dan Graziano believes that Foles is starting to show that he could be that guy:

- Tim Kavanagh​

Dan Graziano
Foles giving Eagles some confidence at QB2

"He's a rookie, and he'd likely make more mistakes than Kafka would if pressed into fill-in duty. But in practices and games he has shown a stronger arm and better touch on deep throws than Kafka has, and that matters in Philadelphia's speed-based offense. That difference alone could set Foles apart if he continues to impress and Kafka can't get on the field, and Foles showed impressive poise Monday night, along with the ability to handle many different aspects of the playbook. I don't personally believe the Eagles can contend this year if Vick has to miss a significant period of time. But if he does need to sit out here and there due to injury, the Eagles and their fans have at least seen something from Foles that would make them feel a little bit better if they had to go with a rookie."

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

1.5 years as a QB -- Not as a starting QB, but AS A QB -- I would not start him until Matt Moore proves he's incapable of running the offense.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seattle Seahawks QB Russell Wilson to start Friday - ESPN

I'm glad that Carrol's at least making it look like it's a real competition. I bet it is, but if he had started Flynn again without giving a reason (like superior practice, experience, or even level of opponent's defense), I'd have thought it was lesser of a competition. It at least would push Flynn, not that Flynn isn't working hard anyway. I feel these guys are pretty high on motivation even without a competition. I felt that Kaepernick, even if he didn't push Smith to work harder, would at least push Smith to use his mobility more, take more shots, etc. Competition makes everyone work harder, even a hard worker like Smith, but in our situation I feel that it might help Smith use his tools better and be more well-rounded. I, of course, don't know whether it has or whether it will work. There are some limits that won't be broken just because he works harder or is more focused on it.

Last edited by a moderator:

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seattle Seahawks QB Russell Wilson to start Friday - ESPN

I'm glad that Carrol's at least making it look like it's a real competition. I bet it is, but if he had started Flynn again without giving a reason (like superior practice, experience, or even level of opponent's defense), I'd have thought it was lesser of a competition. It at least would push Flynn, not that Flynn isn't working hard anyway. I feel these guys are pretty high on motivation even without a competition. I felt that Kaepernick, even if he didn't push Smith to work harder, would at least push Smith to use his mobility more, take more shots, etc. Competition makes everyone work harder, even a hard worker like Smith, but in our situation I feel that it might help Smith use his tools better and be more well-rounded. I, of course, don't know whether it has or whether it will work. There are some limits that won't be broken just because he works harder or is more focused on it.

I like how you always end up talking about Smith in your posts.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Top 200 Big Book rookie additions
Andrew Luck, Trent Richardson among rookies who would be in Big Book
Originally Published: August 21, 2012
By Mel Kiper Jr. | ESPN Insider

Andrew Luck has had a strong preseason so far for the Indianapolis Colts.

This year's Big Book has a number of second-year players. Von Miller and Aldon Smith already show up on scouting reports as guys you have to account for on every play; J.J. Watt has become a beast in the 3-4; and A.J. Green is already potentially dominant at wide receiver. Cam Newton has made his mark, and Tyron Smith has shown he's ready for left tackle duty at the ripe old age of 22. Now, each of those guys was a first-round pick, so it's not a shock that there are early returns. In each case, a guy was drafted high and expected to fill a void early on.

But for this exercise, I'll point out -- at each position -- players who might be the obvious answer, plus a dark-horse candidate who could jump into the mix by 2013.

Quarterback

The obvious call … Andrew Luck: The league adjusted to Newton the thrower in the second half of last season. I expect Luck to see teams adjust, then adjust back and get better every week.

But don't be surprised by … Nick Foles: If Michael Vick misses time, Foles can run things for Andy Reid. He anticipates well, and he has a ton of experience, plenty of size to take hits and the arm strength to stretch defenses with Philly's speedy receivers.

Running back

The obvious call … Trent Richardson: He belongs in the rankings based on physical talent. But they might bring him along very slowly in 2012 as he bounces back from a second procedure on his knee this offseason.

Don't be surprised by … Isaiah Pead: He gives the Rams' running game a whole new dimension. Pead could crack 1,000 combined yards in 2012.

Wide receiver

The obvious call … Michael Floyd: Should have plenty of matchup advantages when teams put their focus on Larry Fitzgerald. Plus, Floyd can navigate a zone.

Don't be surprised by … T.Y. Hilton and LaVon Brazill: Drafted in the third and sixth rounds respectively, Hilton can fly, and Brazill has a lot more game than his draft spot indicates. That could mean early returns in Indy, where the wide receiver supply is light.

Tight end

The obvious call … Coby Fleener: Is there really a need to rehash this scenario?

Don't be surprised by … Taylor Thompson: It might not happen this year, but Thompson is another one of those guys who become a Jimmy Graham-like story if he succeeds. The size and athleticism are there, but the Titans' fifth-rounder last played the position in high school.

Offensive tackle

Matt Kalil is a leader in a core of young players for the Vikings.

The obvious call … Matt Kalil: He should start immediately and provide stability to the offensive line, exactly what Minnesota had in mind when it drafted him.

Don't be surprised by … Cordy Glenn: I felt Glenn could dominate inside, but the Bills think he's ready for the blind side. He's unusually athletic for his size, so I won't be shocked if he succeeds.

Guard/Center

The obvious call … David DeCastro: An absolute technician and road-grader, it's hard to imagine the Steelers won't run the ball better this year.

Don't be surprised by … Amini Silatolu: The Panthers could have the NFL's best rushing game, and Silatolu will be a powerful force up the middle.

Pass-rusher

The obvious call … Melvin Ingram: He was a steal where the Chargers got him, at No. 19, and they believe Ingram can give them a force they've lacked since they had a healthy Shawne Merriman.

Don't be surprised by … Chandler Jones: He might already be the best pure pass-rusher on the team, and the Patriots will need him on the field. And keep an eye on Jake Bequette, who was an exceptional pass-rusher in the SEC and could come on as he gets a feel for the NFL.

Defensive tackle

The obvious call … Michael Brockers: He was drafted to fill a pretty big void and should get first-team reps in Week 1. My concern is there's still plenty of development.

Don't be surprised by … Derek Wolfe: He can stay inside or be moved to the edge, but one thing he'll do is create havoc through beating his man and penetrating. College football might not have had a better pass-rusher from the inside last year, and Wolfe can transfer those skills to the NFL level. Could be a stud and start right away.

Linebacker

The obvious call … Lavonte David: If he finishes the year with 90-plus tackles for Tampa Bay, I won't be at all surprised. Not great size, but superb in pursuit and with an ability not to get washed out in heavy traffic. Maybe one of my favorite picks in the entire draft when you combine the player, the value and the need.

Don't be surprised by … Bobby Wagner: He'll be the starter in the middle, and, although he's not very fast, what he will do is read the play and make the tackle. It's that simple. Wagner is at his best when he's hunting runners and is able to use his leverage and physical nature. He also can slow down tight ends and stay on the field on third downs. Speed is a question, but Wagner can be a good one.

Cornerback

The obvious call … Morris Claiborne: An immediate starter in Dallas, he also will work across from Brandon Carr, and will see some balls thrown his way, something that didn't happen a lot last season.

Don't be surprised by … Janoris Jenkins: He could make the Pro Bowl as a rookie. His talent level is that high. It's just a matter of staying focused for the second-rounder.

Safety

The obvious call … Mark Barron: Tampa targeted him to fill a big need. He should stabilize the secondary.

Don't be surprised by … Brandon Taylor: We talked plenty about the LSU cornerbacks last year, but Taylor has the pedigree to help immediately, and he could be paired with very good Eric Weddle in the San Diego secondary.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like how you always end up talking about Smith in your posts.

Yeah, me too! It's funny that I'd be interested in the player playing the most important position for my favorite team. It's even more interesting that I would post about the most important position.

Seriously though, I admit that I don't know much about positions other than QB and WR and even then, I don't know much. I'm just having fun on this board, no need for me to talk about others I know even less about. I have learned a bit since joining this board about RT, ILB, etc. but not enough to converse about it. So I know I don't have football or board cred or whatnot. I'm not big on college players so I don't participate much on the draft.

I'm not going to just stop posting either. I know I'm one dimensional and don't "contribute" much other than video highlights and a few links; I also write novels but it's fun for me and I've had some good conversations with a few who'll bother to read. I know the players and how great Patrick Willis is, Bowman, and Gore, but other than whether they'll hold up long, beat Ray Lewis, etc., I don't have much to say.

I lived in Utah when Alex played there and became a fan of his and I have followed the Niners all my life. So, I want him more than others to succeed here, knowing that I can't change it if he fails or someone else does better. I will stay true to the Niners even when he leaves to another team or retires. I will then talk mostly about Kaepernick, etc. I know more about basketball. It's not a coincidence that I post about Smith primarily. I have admitted my biases, I have noted and commented on his limitations, too. I have blamed him before, too. So I don't think there's a problem here, I know some who don't like my posts will ignore it. If the shoe fits...

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You just have to accept it man, if you say anything nice about Alex Smith people look at you like the "Leave Britney Alone" guy. Which really bums me out because I don't like to sit under blankets or wear eyeliner.

tumblr_l60x9k1niu1qze5g2o1_500.gif

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You just have to accept it man, if you say anything nice about Alex Smith people look at you like the "Leave Britney Alone" guy. Which really bums me out because I don't like to sit under blankets or wear eyeliner.

True, lol. I have always known that Alex was limited, but before I was so used to defending when people said he was more limited than he was. Then, I realized that people assumed that I thought he was less limited than he is, so I've now started to list the qualifiers in my comments. Doesn't seem to work as some still think that biased = blind beyond belief. I give Alex the benefit of the doubt as to the future, the credit he deserves as to the past, and hope he does well. I also understand that he may fall flat, may stagnate, deserves blame for the past, and may be replaced even if he does well. If I weren't a Niner fan, I'd worry about it if he didn't succeed. But as a Niner fan and with Harbaugh & Co., if he doesn't succeed, it likely means we're moving on to someone better. I couldn't say that when Singletary was here.

I removed the image in quoting you because well, while I can see the humor, that annoys the heck out of me. LOL.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WTF is that!!! His face looks like the mushrooms just kicked in and now he thinks he is a guard in the NBA!

He thinks he's Steve Blake from the Lakers. Alex Smith Steve Blake Flyingiguana and I both have independently found that out, as thousands of others have as well.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

tumblr_l60x9k1niu1qze5g2o1_500.gif

Kind of a smart guy right there.