• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2012 NFL Draft - Thurs. April 26th

Status
Not open for further replies.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
...Oh yeah, I forgot about Trevor Guyton as a 3-4 DE. My mind isn't made up about him, but I liked what I saw when I watched him. Not sure how high he's projected.

I wish the Giants would be willing to trade Stone Cold Marvin Austin.

Last edited by a moderator:

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's my list, in order of value, of players I'd consider in the 2nd round if the Niners stay put (who have a realistic chance of being there):

1a: Dwaaaaaaaaaaayne Allen
1b: Vinny Curry
3. Josh Chapman (Might be there in the 3rd, but I think he'd still be good value in round 2).
4. Jared Crick
5. Alameda Ta'amu
6. Jayron Hosley
7. Kelechi Osemele (to play RG; boom or bust guy. Not sure about personality).
8. Brandon Boykin
9. Muhammad Sanu (I'd have him higher than Boykin except I love Boykin's return ability).

I don't know where to put Brandon Thompson. Don't think he has a realistic chance of being there, but I'm also not sure how well he fits into a 3-4. Will be a good starting DL though IMO. Reminds me of Brodrick Bunkley.
... If you haven't noticed I friggn' LOVE Josh Chapman. Dwayne Allen in the 2nd and Josh Chapman in the 3rd would be a dream come true of a draft.

Dream Draft:

1) Poe or Perry
2. Dwaaaaaaaaayne
3. Chapman

How would you rank some of the players I listed?

One of the most intelligent kids in the draft, honor roll 3 times. A real hard worker, a will turn out to be one of the strongest players in the league (Larry Allen status). It's harder for a guy with his type of reach to put up the most reps in a bench press, though he's built to max press with the best of them.

I'm a huge Zeitler fan, I'm also a huge fan of Osemele. I think he could be there for us after standing pat in the 2nd (better value and maybe a better player).

Kelechi Osemele Domination - YouTube

Brute strength, add some NFL coaching and this kid could be dangerous, a'la Larry Allen!

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
One of the most intelligent kids in the draft, honor roll 3 times. A real hard worker, a will turn out to be one of the strongest players in the league (Larry Allen status). It's harder for a guy with his type of reach to put up the most reps in a bench press, though he's built to max press with the best of them.

I'm a huge Zeitler fan, I'm also a huge fan of Osemele. I think he could be there for us after standing pat in the 2nd (better value and maybe a better player).

Kelechi Osemele Domination - YouTube

Brute strength, add some NFL coaching and this kid could be dangerous, a'la Larry Allen!

Thanks for the insight. Just for clarification: by "not sure about personality" I mean I haven't heard anything about his personality, not that I heard something to make me wary.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
More buzz on Titans at No. 20
8:38AM ET
Tennessee Titans

The Tennessee Titans surprised some people with their performance in 2011; a first-year head coach, a new QB and an underperforming star RB somehow remained in the playoff mix right through Week 17, missing the spot due to a tiebreaker. The flip side to that encouraging first campaign under Mike Munchak, of course, is that they're draft slot is No. 20, and who they take in that spot in Round 1 will be largely contingent on which prospects are left on the board. Though we can't necessarily rule out a trade-up for Tennessee, we've also heard nothing to substantiate the idea that they're looking to move up, either.

Regardless of whether they move up or not, there are three positions that have been frequently cited as spots they'll target with their first-rounder: an interior O-lineman, a cornerback or a defensive end.

As Tom Gower of Total Titans notes, the signing of Steve Hutchinson means that Leroy Harris can slide over to RG. But the Titans could also use that 20th pick to grab a player like David DeCastro or Cordy Glenn should they be available. Another possibility would be Wisconsin C Peter Konz, as a report earlier this offseason indicated that Tennessee isn't overly pleased with incumbent starting C Eugene Amano.

At DE, the Titans have new addition Kamerion Wimbley to pair with 2010 first-rounder Derrick Morgan, but a team can never have enough pass-rushers. A player that has been shipped to them in numerous mock drafts is Illinois' Whitney Mercilus, though there are any number of possibilities depending upon who falls to them. Meanwhile, at CB, the Titans are in a good spot to land one of the prospects in the second tier at the position, including Alabama's Dre Kirkpatrick, North Alabama's Janoris Jenkins or South Carolina's Stephon Gilmore. Currently, Alterraun Verner and Jason McCourty project as the starting pair at CB with Cortland Finnegan gone, but they may feel that adding a third strong CB is in their best interests given the state of the NFL game. Kirkpatrick was the pick in Mel Kiper, Jr.'s latest mock:

- Tim Kavanagh​

Mel Kiper, Jr.
A replacement for Finnegan

"The Titans lost their top cover corner in free agency, and Kirkpatrick has the talent and experience to contribute right away. He is really tall for the position; people see his size and assume he'd become a safety, but he does everything a shorter corner can do, and will utilize his length to become a guy who can be left on an island against big targets, even in the red zone."

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Plans for LSU's Brockers
3:07PM ET
Michael Brockers

Scout.com's Aaron Wilson reports that LSU defensive lineman Michael Brockers is slated to meet with the St. Louis Rams on Wednesday. Brockers already has visited with the Cincinnati Bengals, New England Patriots, Tennessee Titans, Carolina Panthers and Washington Redskins. He's also met with the Dallas Cowboys, Miami Dolphins and Kansas City Chiefs and is scheduled to visit the Philadelphia Eagles and Cleveland Browns. The New York Jets, Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Seattle Seahawks also are expected to meet with Brockers before the draft.

Brockers boosted his draft stock during his Pro Day performance by topping his scouting combine vertical leap by four inches (30-inch Pro day leap) and reportedly running a 4.97 40.

ESPN NFL draft experts Todd McShay and Mel Kiper Jr. have him in their top 15; McShay has Brockers 13th in his Top 32 and Kiper Jr. has him at 15th on his Big Board.

Interestingly, in Kiper's Mock Draft 4.0, he has Brockers going in the bottom quarter of the first round to a team that hasn't shown public interest in him to date:

- Tom Carpenter​

MEL KIPER JR.
Mock Draft 4.0

"1st round, 25th pick: Denver Broncos: Michael Brockers, DT, LSU -- The LSU defense in 2011 was the kind of unit that makes you rewind the tape a lot. So many guys made so many plays, you have to go back and look at where it started. In many instances, it was with the disruptive Brockers, who can create havoc from the inside, blowing up the run and penetrating against the pass. Denver needs to strengthen the inside to complement a solid group of pass-rushers."

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
How early will Floyd go?
11:32AM ET
Michael Floyd

In the fantasy football-obsessed world, offensive skill position players generally drive a lot of attention in the NFL draft, and with the top two QBs pretty much cemented into the top two slots, that has left us with a need to find some other personalities at those positions to discuss -- perhaps part of the reason why Ryan Tannehill has drawn so much attention in recent weeks in spite of his not being considered a first-round prospect while he was actually playing games for Texas A&M.

At wide receiver, Oklahoma St.'s Justin Blackmon is considered the best of the bunch, though there are some who foresee Notre Dame's Michael Floyd nipping at his heels, if not overtaking him in the draft order. One reason is that while Blackmon had Brandon Weeden -- who's expected to be drafted in Round 2 or 3 -- as his QB, Floyd had to make do with lesser play from the position; as a result, once Floyd is paired with an NFL-caliber passer, we may see a big jump in his production.

As far as where Floyd could be taken, the speculation begins with the Cleveland Browns at No. 4. It's believed that the Browns are between Blackmon and Alabama RB Trent Richardson at that spot, but it's possible that Cleveland thinks more highly of Floyd than Blackmon. The same can be said of the St. Louis Rams at No. 6, and additionally, should the Browns take Blackmon, Jeff Fisher's club may prefer to go with Floyd over whoever is left (the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, picking between the two, are believed to be interested in either Richardson or LSU CB Morris Claiborne).

If Floyd makes it through the Top 6, the Jacksonville Jaguars are another club looking to bolster their WR ranks in the draft, and the Miami Dolphins (at No. 8) -- who will host Floyd, per the Miami Herald -- Carolina Panthers (at No. 9) and Buffalo Bills (at No. 10) are also possibilities.

However, in a post over on the excellent Scouts, Inc. NFL Draft blog, Kevin Weidl wonders whether we're over-rating Floyd (as well as Blackmon) in throwing him in the mix as a Top 10 pick:

- Tim Kavanagh​

Kevin Weidl, NFL Draft blog
Neither player is a sure-fire No. 1 WR at the NFL level

"[Floyd] is not very sudden in his routes and shows tightness in his hips, particularly when dropping his weight to get in and out of cuts. And despite his solid hands, he does let the ball get to his body at times and suffers some drops as a result. Those shortcomings aren't enough to push him out of the first round, but Floyd has been talked about as a possible top-10 overall pick and I just don't see it. He's not an elite, explosive threat like Calvin Johnson, A.J. Green or Julio Jones. The combine and a solid pro day are pushing Floyd a bit too high for my taste, and I feel much better about him in the 15-30 range. And for what it's worth, I don't put Oklahoma State WR Justin Blackmon (6-0, 207) in the top 10 overall, either. Blackmon ran in the mid-4.6 range at his pro day, but when I watch the tape I don't see much in the way of separation. He is similar to Floyd in terms of hands and body control, but to me Blackmon is more of an Anquan Boldin type whose skill set fits as a good No. 2 receiver in the NFL."

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Tannehill's fit for Miami
10:14AM ET
Miami Dolphins

UPDATE: It remains to be seen whether or not the Dolphins actually land Ryan Tannehill (as discussed in the post herein), but how well will he actually fit in to the team's offense under Joe Philbin and Mike Sherman? Gary Horton of Scouts, Inc. assessed that potential match (and the other potential first-round matches) in a post on Tuesday. The section on Miami is excerpted down below.

---

If we're left to believe the armchair GMs, the Miami Dolphins are having just an awful offseason: they failed to land Jeff Fisher, the No. 2 overall pick, Peyton Manning, Matt Flynn and Alex Smith. But this is a team that was quite proficient down the stretch of the 2011 season, and much of the core group remains in place as Joe Philbin and his staff take over.

Of course, they could still use an upgrade at QB.

It would be nice if the third best QB in this year's class was ready to jump right into a starting role at the NFL level, but that's not believed to be the case for Ryan Tannehill. Nevertheless, the Dolphins have been linked to him in draft speculation, owing to the fact that he could develop into a franchise passer, the likes of which this club hasn't seen since Dan Marino. The question remains, though: Is he worth Miami's current first-round pick (No. 8 overall) or whatever it will take to jump ahead of the Cleveland Browns (at No. 4) to ensure that he's theirs?

It's a subject that was analyzed by Armando Salguero of the Miami Herald in a column over the weekend. The scribe concludes that the Dolphins may have to "overpay" in order to get the Texas A&M passer.

Of course, if the Browns are actually interested -- tough to decipher whether or not this is the case -- then Miami's not really "overpaying" if Cleveland is considering taking him at No. 4. Though Tannehill hasn't generally been graded as a Top 10 prospect, the premium placed upon the QB position drives the cost of these players up, as we've seen in recent drafts. In 2011, Jake Locker (No. 8), Blaine Gabbert (No. 10) and Christian Ponder (No. 12) were taken ahead of where some had projected them, and none of the three looked like a sure-fire starting QB at the NFL level this past season.

- Tim Kavanagh

Gary Horton
Eventually, this could be a great fit

"Schematically, this Miami offense will look a lot like the one that Joe Philbin ran in Green Bay with great success. It's a version of a West Coast look with a variety of formations and personnel packages, and is a very sophisticated scheme that requires excellent decision making by the QB. Think of Aaron Rodgers and you get the guy that they eventually want at this position. Physically, Tannehill can do everything that his offense will ask him to do, but he doesn't have a lot of game experience, so his ability to read defenses, see blitzes and audible at the line of scrimmage will all be a work in progress. Tannehill could sit and learn for at least a year behind veterans Matt Moore and David Garrard, because his upside may make it worth the wait."

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
WR for Ravens in Round 1?
9:52AM ET
Baltimore Ravens

On Monday we examined the chances that the Baltimore Ravens would select Wisconsin C Peter Konz with their first-round pick in the draft (No. 29 overall). Konz could potentially step right in as the starting LG before taking over for Matt Birk when the veteran was ready to retire.

But the interior OL is not the only area of need for Baltimore, and Mike Preston of the Baltimore Sun examined the idea of the club selecting a WR in the first round within a column posted this week. One particular athlete that may suit the Ravens is Georgia Tech WR Stephen Hill, who wowed everyone with his exploits at the NFL scouting combine -- including a 4.36 40-yard dash time. In addition, Mohamed Sanu (Rutgers) and Rueben Randle (LSU) may be under consideration as well.

Of course, with Torrey Smith and Anquan Boldin returning, WR may not be as big of a need for the team as other spots, including multiple positions along the O-line. Matt Williamson of Scouts, Inc. believes, therefore, that the Konz idea is a smart one:

- Tim Kavanagh

Matt Williamson
Help is needed

"The Ravens were wise to bring back Matt Birk, but at this point, he is just a short-term fix at center. They lost Ben Grubbs in free agency, and left tackle was a problem area last season -- Bryant McKinnie is very difficult to count on. The offensive line needs to prepare for the future while also getting immediate help on the left side. Peter Konz very well could be Baltimore's first-round pick if he is still available. I would not object to that selection."

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Atlanta's first pick
9:34AM ET
Atlanta Falcons

Thanks to the trade for the No. 6 pick in 2011 (used to take Julio Jones), the Atlanta Falcons are without a first-rounder this year. As a result, we haven't heard a lot of buzz about which direction they're leaning with their first pick of the draft (No. 55 overall) because there are a lot of moving parts ahead of them, and any number of possible scenarios.

Because of this, the team is casting a wide net as they scout prospects that could be added at No. 55 or afterwards. The process continues this week, as they'll visit Clemson to work out DE Andre Branch and DT Brandon Thompson, according to D. Orlando Ledbetter of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

As Ledbetter allows, the Falcons may have to trade up again if they want to secure either Branch or Thompson, and the overall rankings from Scouts, Inc. bear this out: Branch is the No. 29 overall prospect while Thompson is No. 51. Fortunately for Atlanta, a number of players below Thompson will likely be selected before him, giving them the opportunity to take him if they so desire.

- Tim Kavanagh​

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Minnesota needs help for Ponder
April, 10, 2012 2:15PM ET
By Steve Muench

With head coach Leslie Frazier entering the second year of a three-year contract, a Minnesota Vikings team that finished 3-13 in 2011 needs to right the ship in order for its well-respected coach to stay at the helm much beyond this season. In order for that to happen, general manager Rick Spielman must land some difference-makers with his first three picks in the upcoming draft.

First and foremost, Spielman has to find players who can help his quarterback, 2011 first-round pick Christian Ponder, succeed. Assuming the Vikings stand pat and do not make any trades, here's how things could unfold in the early rounds.

First round, No. 3 overall

Matt Kalil has the tools to help the Vikings as both a pass blocker and in the running game.

The general consensus is that Spielman will take USC OT Matt Kalil (Scouts Inc. Grade: 97) with this pick, and there's good reason. Minnesota gave up 49 sacks last season and the limitations of LOT Charlie Johnson were on full display.

It would be unfair to suggest replacing Johnson and moving him to guard will fix all of Minnesota's problems up front, but Kalil is an elite talent. At 6-foot-6⅝ and 306 pounds, Kalil has the quick feet, arm length (34.5 inches) and balance to hold up on an island and protect Ponder's blind side, and he's also a tenacious run blocker who gets into position and flashes the ability to move defenders off the ball.

There's no such thing as a sure thing, but Kalil projects as a starter from day one and is one of the safer picks in this draft, thanks in part to his bloodlines. His father, Frank, played offensive line in the USFL, and his brother Ryan Kalil plays for the Carolina Panthers and is one of the best centers in the NFL.

Second round, No. 35 overall

With Kalil in the fold, Spielman can turn his attention to getting Ponder a playmaker at wide receiver. Percy Harvin's durability is a concern and he's not a traditional No. 1 receiver, while Michael Jenkins is coming off a season-ending knee injury and is more of a Band-Aid than a long-term solution.

There should be good value at receiver at the top of the second round, and NFL combine standout Stephen Hill (89) from Georgia Tech could slide to the Vikings. Hill (6-4, 215) has the frame and top-end speed (4.36 in the 40-yard dash) to develop into a vertical playmaker who can open up the short-to-intermediate routes for Harvin, who is at his best after the catch.

If Hill is gone, LSU's Rueben Randle (87) is another option. Randle (6-2⅞, 210) isn't as fast (4.55) as Hill, but he's a long strider who plays faster than his timed speed and is capable of coming down with jump balls. Hill and Randle are big enough to line up on the outside and talented enough to draw attention away from Harvin, who would then become a much tougher matchup in the slot, especially in three-receiver sets.

Third round, No. 66 overall
This is the spot where Spielman can begin addressing a pass defense that finished 26th in the NFL last season and will see players like Aaron Rodgers, Matthew Stafford, Jay Cutler, Calvin Johnson and Brandon Marshall twice each in 2012.

Safety is a bigger need than cornerback at this point, and LSU's Brandon Taylor (80) or Oklahoma State's Markelle Martin (78) would be good picks here. Corner is also a need area, though, and arguably offers better value here.

Virginia Tech's Jayron Hosley (78) is a name to keep an eye on. Hosley (5-10, 178) needs to get stronger and a hamstring injury that slowed him in 2011 raises concerns about his durability, but he has the instincts, burst and ball skills to push for early playing time and quickly develop into a playmaker.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
K.C.'s interest in Tannehill
11:23AM ET
Kansas City Chiefs

The Kansas City Chiefs' interest in Texas A&M QB Ryan Tannehill has been a hotly debated topic, and it can be broken down into two categories: Would they draft him if he fell to No. 11 and would they trade up to make sure they got him?

Regarding the second possibility, Joel Thorman of Chiefs blog Arrowhead Pride doesn't think it's a good idea, nor does he think it's a likely scenario, given the comments from Chiefs GM Scott Pioli earlier this offseason:

"From year to year you have so many needs," Pioli said at the time. "To start giving up multiple No. 1 picks, that's a big decision because right now we may say we have needs in these five areas and to sacrifice multiple drafts in the future, I tend to want to be a little more responsible than that. I didn't come here to win one championship. I didn't come here to get the quick fix, be done and move onto the next job. This is where our family is. This is where I want to spend the rest of my career. So what I'm gong to do is make prudent decisions to get the best players and get the best team built. Being too short-sighted and trading too many draft picks for any one player. ... I don't even know who the player is who I'd say I'd give up multiple first round picks based on where we're at."

Of course, Pioli could just be playing it cool before making a big move. It's hard to be certain either way in this phase of misinformation. We'll find out in the near future.

- Tim Kavanagh​

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Plans for LSU's Brockers
3:07PM ET
Michael Brockers

ESPN NFL draft experts Todd McShay and Mel Kiper Jr. have him in their top 15; McShay has Brockers 13th in his Top 32 and Kiper Jr. has him at 15th on his Big Board.

I still don't see why people are so enamoured of this guy. Top 15? The dude's a big, tall athletic DT, but he's not a great football player. The dude gets absolutely ZERO pass rush, and he's doesn't get very good leverage at the point. He's a leaner.

Unless teams are looking at him as a 3-4 NT I don't see why anyone would have him as a top 15 prospect, and I have serious doubts he could play NT well.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Overrated, underrated and sleepers
Tannehill and Coples are overrated, Weeden underrated; plus, sleepers
Originally Published: April 11, 2012
By Mel Kiper | ESPN Insider

Ryan Tannehill has been skyrocketing up draft boards. But should be a top-10 pick?

We've been lining up draft picks and discussing stocks for weeks, but I haven't yet compared players in terms of how I feel about them versus where I assume they'll go on draft day. In simple terms, these are guys I feel are being a little overrated or underrated and some sleepers who need a little more attention.

As a word of warning: On the "overrated" guys, this is based on my current information on where they'll likely be drafted. If a guy I don't see as a top-10 pick ends up at No. 25 overall, then he's not overrated after all. Keep that in mind before you jump in the comments and lose your mind because a guy you like has been slighted.

Underrated

Brandon Weeden, QB, Oklahoma State
It might feel odd to call a guy who is 28 and likely to go in Round 2 underrated. But evaluators agree that if Weeden were younger he'd be far higher. So what's my case? I think Weeden projects as a start-early QB who can help a franchise for 7-8 years, easy. And who in this league has a nine-year plan?

Derek Wolfe, DT, Cincinnati
I love the versatility he can bring. I projected Wolfe as a surprise first-round pick by the Patriots because a scheme-versatile team can use a guy like him, who can be a one-gap guy in a 3-4 or easily flip to a 4-3 DT, up front. I've seen him on some boards as low as the third round. He should go higher.

Lavonte David, LB, Nebraska
He could well land in Round 1, but if he hadn't played most of his time at Nebraska as a linebacker under 220 pounds, he'd be a lock for the top half based on his tape. Now over 230 pounds, teams feel better about his ability to hold up. Simply makes plays all over the field.

LaMichael James, RB, Oregon
He got the "track speed" label early, and it pretty much stuck. But given that no NFL RB is going to average 25 carries -- every situation is a split-carry setup -- we can't say James has diminished value because he's a hair under 200 pounds and thus doesn't profile as a bell cow. He has big-time explosiveness, is actually pretty strong between the tackles and can be a threat catching balls out of the backfield. Not a first-rounder, but early-second round makes sense.

T.Y. Hilton, WR, Florida International
Super-productive, with big-play ability and a great competitive streak, I've seen him listed as a late-round pick by some, but I see him as a guy who wouldn't be bad at all in the third round. Not big at about 5-foot-10, 185 pounds, but could be productive early.

Overrated

Ryan Tannehill, QB, Texas A&M
I love Tannehill's upside, and I think he has a great shot to be a good starter, but the market on him has gotten a little out of hand in some respects. Remember, if Matt Barkley, Landry Jones and perhaps Tyler Wilson were in this draft, we're talking about a likelier bet for late-first or second round for Tannehill. Again, he can be a good one, but a lot of it is projecting, because while his physical abilities are so impressive there is much work to be done.

Quinton Coples may be overvalued in the top 10.

Mike Adams, OT, Ohio State
A very good pass-protector, I think Adams gets a little overrated when we start talking about him as a solid top-20 pick. He could land there, but consistency and intangibles are a legit question mark, and he'll need to work his way in on the right side.

Quinton Coples, DE, North Carolina
A very good player, but he doesn't fit the profile that would have him as the best 4-3 defensive end in most years. Coples belongs in the middle of the first round and becomes a little overrated for me when I see him pegged as a safe top-10 pick.

Keenan Robinson, OLB, Texas
Robinson belongs closer to the middle rounds than as high as the second, where I've seen him for some teams. A good outside backer who can hold up against the run, he doesn't take great angles. Robinson can develop but still needs some work.

George Iloka, S, Boise State
A good safety but not the playmaker some see him as. Ball skills are lacking, and he misses a lot of tackles. Will make his mark early on as a cover guy, but this isn't a guy who should go before Round 3 on my board.

Sleepers

Brian Quick, WR, Appalachian State
If he was one of the first picks of Round 2, I wouldn't consider it a reach. Quick was dominant at his level, and while his 4.53 40-yard dash time might not sound amazing, this is a 6-4, 220-pound WR.

Trumaine Johnson, CB, Montana
A big corner at near 6-2 and over 200 pounds, he can take on big receivers and has the experience to help early. A good value in the third round, but could go earlier.

Akiem Hicks, DT, Regina
Don't let the small-school-sleeper profile fool you. This is an LSU kid who ended up elsewhere. Seriously quick given his near 320-pound frame. He would've been good in the SEC and could land in the middle rounds. Could be a steal.

Justin Bethel, S, Presbyterian
Super-productive with great ball skills, and he can be had in the third. He can immediately come in and, if not start, make big plays on special teams as he develops into a good starter.

Josh Norman, CB, Coastal Carolina
Needs to work on pure cover skills but can make some big plays picking off passes, because he plays corner like a wideout sometimes. Good size at 6-foot-plus; he can land in the third round and help early.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm not happy to see that Derek Wolfe is starting to get some major luv (spotlight). I was hoping he slid under the radar and for us to snatch him up in round 2 or later. I agree with Kiper though, I wouldn't be suprise if he goes in the 1st round.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
this has got to be one of the 'slowest' posting in YEARS.........just prior to a draft? cause other than Alex Smith being at his lowest of lows, pre-draft is the liveliest time of year.

is the biggest reason:
1. we're picking so lat at 30th, thus not evaluating an elite prospect?
2. we already know we aren't drafting QB, ie little chatter on Alex Smith?
3. this team is good and not looking so much for Need?
4. other?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Well this is the first draft we've followed on gthe Hoop' right?

There are clearly more casual fans who post on BSPN during draft time than here.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this has got to be one of the 'slowest' posting in YEARS.........just prior to a draft? cause other than Alex Smith being at his lowest of lows, pre-draft is the liveliest time of year.

is the biggest reason:
1. we're picking so lat at 30th, thus not evaluating an elite prospect?
2. we already know we aren't drafting QB, ie little chatter on Alex Smith?
3. this team is good and not looking so much for Need?
4. other?

I think it's a combination of factors but mostly when you pick at 30, there's so many different scenarios that could happen that it becomes very difficult to surmise who we get.

Add in the facts that we've done a decent job in FA to where we don't have to target a certain position in round one and also that Baalke probably surprised all of us last year and we get left playing "wait and see." Coincidentally, "wait and see" sucks, I prefer "hungry hungry hippo!"

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well we had a good run earlier in the year with combines, senior bowl etc....

It's the calm before the storm. I know FA was quite exciting for us(me at least) cause our names were tagged all over the place. So that could've taken some thunder from the draft. Throw in we're selecting at 30th, so not exactly top 10 players would be there for us.

Once it gets within a week, we'll be firing at the keyboards and posting like crazed monkies.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
2012 NFL draft trade scenarios
Miami, Cleveland, Minnesota and a few others could move near top of draft
Updated: April 10, 2012, 3:55 PM ET
By Bill Polian | ESPN Insider

Trent Richardson and Ryan Tannehill could both be trade targets at the top of Round 1.

In the weeks leading up to the draft, general managers and personnel directors around the NFL will turn their attention to a process called draft management -- NFL insider speak for predicting how the draft will unfold. It's through this process that a team anticipates where its draft targets may come off the board and ensures the selection of one of its top choices.

While teams are never 100 percent accurate with these predictions, they have been able to project the first round with a high degree of certainty in recent years. That said, every draft has certain pivot points, spots where the draft veers from its anticipated path and proceeds in a new, unexpected direction. Sometimes the impetus for these moments is an off-the-radar selection, but more often it's a trade.

There are several reasons to believe the first big pivot point of the 2012 draft could come with a potential trade of the No. 3 overall pick from the Minnesota Vikings to the Miami Dolphins.

There's a reduction to a previously formidable barrier to trades at the top of the draft.

In recent years, the cost to sign a top-10 pick had been skyrocketing. Teams were hesitant to trade up into the top 10 because, in addition to the cost in terms of tradeable assets, such a deal would cost a franchise millions of dollars when it came time to sign its newly acquired prospect. A player taken in the top five would become one of, if not the highest-paid player at his position before ever playing a down. It meant the reward to draft high was effectively mitigated. The new collective bargaining agreement has checked those rising prices and made it less costly to bring those picks under contract -- and less costly in cap ramifications if the player is a bust.

There's the supply and demand argument as it pertains to the Miami quarterback situation.

The Dolphins need a quarterback, pure and simple. David Garrard, a QB who was cut by Jacksonville before the start of last season, isn't a long-term solution. While the organization could believe in Matt Moore, the Dolphins' flirtations with San Francisco QB Alex Smith suggest otherwise. With no other viable alternatives on the free-agent market, that leaves the draft as the main method available for Miami to plug this gaping hole. And -- after presumed No. 1 and 2 picks Andrew Luck and Robert Griffin III -- this is a draft that lacks prime prospects at the quarterback position.

In my estimation, the only available player who fits the bill is Texas A&M's Ryan Tannehill, a prospect who has been climbing draft boards in recent days. After Tannehill, the next most attractive prospect is probably Brandon Weeden. But Weeden will be 29 years old on Oct. 14, 2012, older even than Moore. Tannehill is more of an upside pick, but again if you love that upside and the price isn't prohibitive, he makes sense.

If Joe Philbin and Mike Sherman believe Tannehill is the player they need and believe he can develop into a franchise QB, they will do what they can to acquire him. However, the Dolphins are far from the only team interested in selecting him.

The most likely competition for Tannehill is the Cleveland Browns at No. 4 overall. That means to assure themselves of selecting Tannehill, the Dolphins would need to move up to the No. 3 pick in a trade with the Vikings. In my mind, this is a trade you must make if you're the Dolphins. There is no reason to gamble and hope that he falls to No. 8. With the new CBA, Tannehill's position as a QB and his contract wouldn't be an impediment to moving up to No. 3 to select him. And even if the Browns do pass on Tannehill at No. 4, there's no guarantee a team such as Kansas City won't trade up to take him.

With the Dolphins owning a plethora of reasons to trade up, does their potential trade partner -- the Vikings -- have an incentive to make a deal? In short, yes they do. Minnesota has a clear-cut need at left tackle, and at the top of the draft there are two such prospects who could fill that void: Matt Kalil of USC and Riley Reiff of Iowa. Given the current draft order, it's likely the Vikings will be able to get at least one of them with the Dolphins' No. 8 pick.

However, it may not be Kalil, the prospect many grade as the draft's top tackle. If the Vikings believe the trade package from the Dolphins to be worth the drop-off in grade from Kalil to Reiff, I think they'd move the pick.

In this scenario, Miami would assure itself of landing the QB it wants and the Vikings would fill their need at left tackle while adding a few more draft assets, likely a second- and third-round pick. That is a good deal all around in my book, and one worth making. Will both teams make it happen? Only time will tell.

The above situation begs one final question: What do the Browns do at No. 4?

With Peyton Hillis signing with Kansas City in the offseason, Cleveland has a big need for a between-the-tackles running back, and Trent Richardson of Alabama would be a perfect fit in my book. While some may say that the short careers of RBs in the NFL, coupled with the success of other RBs taken much later in the draft (or signed as undrafted free agents), argues against taking a back with a high pick, I disagree.

Justin Blackmon could be a top-five pick as well.

No team is going to take a marginal RB with a top-five pick, but when an elite talent such as Richardson comes along, he's worth the selection. Consider this: RBs have the most value to a team in their early seasons, when they have the most tread on their tires. If Cleveland takes Richardson, it will likely have him for the five most durable and productive seasons of his career. Is that really so bad? Draft another position and the Browns may get a player with more longevity but would pay millions to develop him during the years he's just starting to produce at an NFL level. The return on investment with a pick such as Richardson is immediate and, I believe, desirable.

However, I know that other organizations don't share my belief and that Mike Holmgren's teams have often preferred to find their running backs later in the draft or through free agency. If they stick to that belief in the 2012 draft, I believe we could see another pivot point at the No. 4 pick.

I can't see Richardson falling past Tampa Bay at No. 5, so if another team targets him -- and I think the St. Louis Rams at No. 6 could be such a team -- it'll need to jump up to No. 4 to secure him. That puts the ball in Cleveland's hands, and with multiple needs it could opt to pass on Richardson, move down and set its sights on CB Morris Claiborne or WR Justin Blackmon, whichever player falls to the No. 6 spot.

This scenario is more of a long shot in my mind, but given the past organizational tendencies in Cleveland and the attractiveness of Richardson as a draft prospect, it's possible the Browns could opt to add more assets (likely third-round picks) and address a need other than their backfield.

There's no guarantee that these deals will happen, but the volatility at the top of the draft is definitely higher than usual because of the new CBA.

Status
Not open for further replies.