• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2012 NFL Draft - Thurs. April 26th

Status
Not open for further replies.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you agreeing with the article title? Is he the 2nd best RB in the draft?

Trent Richardson
Lamar Miller
David Wilson
Even Ronnie Hillman, IMO, are better backs

No. I'm saying I've been huge on Martin since we he was considered a 4th rounder. 2nd best is a stretch, but it is a really, really good RB class.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've always liked Martin as well.

Richardson, Wilson, and Martin will all be premiere backs IMO.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Kalil to Tampa Bay?
11:12AM ET
Tampa Bay Buccaneers

On Thursday, we directed your attention to a post from ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter, who noted that he does not believe the Minnesota Vikings are entirely sold on Matt Kalil, and that his landing with them at No. 3 overall is not as certain as many others believe. So if Kalil falls past No. 3, then what?

The Cleveland Browns are next, and while it's certainly possible that they'd take the USC product and put him in at RT -- with Pro Bowler Joe Thomas at LT -- picking Trent Richardson, Justin Blackmon or Morris Claiborne still makes way more sense (depending, of course, upon who the Vikes have taken in this hypothetical). It's also possible that the Browns would get some calls from LT-needy teams for this pick in this scenario.

But let's say that the Vikings take a non-Kalil prospect -- they could use the help at CB or WR -- and the Browns (or whoever they've traded with) does the same. That brings us to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers at No. 5, who may be faced with a draft board that no longer features Claiborne or Richardson, the two players on whom they are reportedly the highest. It is not outside the realm of possibility that Claiborne could go third to Minnesota and Richardson fourth to Cleveland. In this hypothetical, the Bucs would then have the option of trading down with a team after Kalil, taking another prospect or taking Kalil themselves. But is this final choice a viable one, given that they have Donald Penn situated at LT?

ESPN NFC South blogger Pat Yasinskas believes there's at least some chance of them so doing (within the admittedly unlikely scenario outlined above):

- Tim Kavanagh​

Pat Yasinskas
This would make a formidable OT tandem

"They appear to be set with Donald Penn at left tackle. But right tackle Jeremy Trueblood is heading into the last year of his contract, and is the biggest question mark on the offensive line. The Bucs have been investing a lot in their offensive line. I wouldn't totally rule out the possibility of them taking Kalil if he falls to them."

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Weeden instead for Cleveland?
10:33AM ET
Cleveland Browns

The Cleveland Browns missed out on the chance to draft Robert Griffin III, as their bid on the No. 2 pick was the losing one (with the Washington Redskins being the winners). But, there are more than two QBs in this year's draft class, and there's been a mountain of analysis as to whether they should (or will) draft Texas A&M QB Ryan Tannehill with the No. 4 overall pick. Of course, the list of QBs doesn't stop at Tannehill, either.

Pro Football Weekly analyst Nolan Nawrocki is in the cohort that does not believe that the Browns will take Tannehill. Instead, he believes they have their sights set on Oklahoma St. passer Brandon Weeden, either with their second first-rounder or their second-rounder.

"I do think Weeden is a guy they are targeting, and whether they select him with the 22nd or the 37th pick, I think he would definitely bring more size to that position," Nawrocki opined during a conference call this week, per the Akron Beacon Journal. "He ran a similar style offense at Oklahoma State. I think he's flown under the radar a little bit. Whether he goes in the back of the first round or the early second, I think there's a good chance he'll be a Top 40 pick and he can definitely bring more of a downfield threat than Colt McCoy currently brings. I think that's what they?d like to do with that offense."

ESPN AFC North blogger Jamison Hensley is not as sold on Weeden as an upgrade over McCoy, and doesn't think using one of their top three picks on a QB would be wise:

- Tim Kavanagh​

Jamison Hensley
They missed their chance to bolster the position

"I'm in favor of upgrading the Browns' quarterback position, but Cleveland missed out on its best chance to do so when it failed to trade up for Robert Griffin III. The Browns' focus should be on upgrading the talent around the quarterback position. If the right prospects are available, the Browns should attempt to get a running back, wide receiver and right tackle with their first three picks."

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Matt Miller:

B/R is told that Lamar Miller "failed the chalkboard session" with more than one team. Miller has elite agility, but is raw as RS Soph.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Matt Miller:

B/R is told that Lamar Miller "failed the chalkboard session" with more than one team. Miller has elite agility, but is raw as RS Soph.

effect of lack of experience. Only 2 full seasons playing in live college games. He should be able to learn the nuances of the game in due time.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
First-round CB for the Broncos?
8:43AM ET
Denver Broncos

There are two schools of thought when it comes to the early portions of the Denver Broncos' draft: either they'll target skill position players for Peyton Manning or they'll re-stock on defense (the interior line and secondary could use some help, in particular). There are a number of players that they can choose in either strategy, and much will have to do with what goes on prior to their first pick.

But, according to Jeff Legwold of the Denver Post, one player who is on their "short list" is Alabama CB Dre Kirkpatrick.

Kirkpatrick has the size and skill that NFL coaches covet, but there's an interesting statistic on him from the 2011 collegiate season: he had zero interceptions. A low INT total can be somewhat misleading, in that opposing QBs might just be avoiding throwing in that direction; to wit, Darrelle Revis had just four INTs in 2011. So if they other measurables are strong, there's no reason to think Kirkpatrick won't make a fine pro. But there's no guarantee that he'll be around for them at No. 25, either, based upon the general need for CBs amongst the teams picking prior to Denver.

- Tim Kavanagh

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Ranking top NFL draft QBs
Evaluating the QBs who could be taken in the draft's first two days
Originally Published: April 9, 2012
By Trent Dilfer | ESPN Insider

Andrew Luck and Robert Griffin III are the consensus top QBs in the draft. But who is behind them?

I study quarterbacks. Literally, that's what I do, pretty much year-round. During the NFL season, I'm addicted to the tape when I'm not in airports. During the draft process, I'll go through footage on prospects reaching back into their high school days. (You can tell a lot about a quarterback's ceiling by looking at the improvements he's already made.) After the draft, I spend time coaching up the next generation of college quarterbacks. The subject is my passion.

The 2012 NFL draft class is loaded with promise at the position. I'm probably more bullish than some of our other analysts, and you'll see that in my breakdowns on each guy. My evaluations will cover a few areas. One, his prospect status -- meaning how good he can be and what the downside, or floor, could be. Second, I'll note his current NFL status, or "readiness." Then I'll give my scouting take, plus the challenges he'll face.

This is the first of two batches. These are guys I think can go in the first three rounds. For the rest, we'll post the night before Rounds 4 through 7.

Andrew Luck
Prospect status: Elite ceiling, high floor
NFL status: Immediate starter

Breakdown: Not to pile on, but Luck is simply the best I have ever studied. He's very refined in his approach, and has been exposed to a graduate level offensive system at Stanford. A line-of-scrimmage mastery far beyond his years will allow his NFL offense to be multiple (no limitations) his first year in league. Off-platform accuracy and ball speed will enable him to perform well within a cluttered pocket and amid chaos plays. Luck excelled at P.A.C.E. opportunities (plays after critical errors), going an incredible 17 of 20 with 4 TD passes in games following a pick-six last season. The guy doesn't flinch. Critical situation numbers (third down and red zone) reflect the synergy of his functional football intelligence and physical gifts. He is one of the few college quarterbacks who truly grasps progression passing; his eyes and feet are tied together.

Challenges: The expectations will be tremendous, even as he joins probably the NFL's weakest roster. Luck is improving -- he is not a finished product. The grade reflects his skills, but he is still a rookie, not a refined NFL QB. Given the hype, people will need to maintain perspective.

Robert Griffin III
Prospect status: Elite ceiling, solid floor
NFL status: Immediate starter

Breakdown: A very productive passer and playmaker, RG3 has dynamic arm talent (an ability to mix proper pace, touch, trajectory) and athleticism. His greatest strength isn't his legs, it's his feel and accuracy on the deep pass. His arm allows him to threaten every part of the field. A highly intelligent kid who mastered his offense at Baylor, which shows me he has the tools to master an NFL one. I love that he is comfortable in his own skin -- it'll help him immediately resonate with every part of the locker room. NFL offenses will be able to expand splash play potential immediately because of his physical skills and he'll be able to evolve quickly because of his cognitive skills. His floor isn't a basement because he's so talented. He'll be able to get the most out of situations with both his arm, and his legs.

Challenges: RG3's biggest challenge will be his learning curve in progression passing. The way Baylor's offense worked, he did none of it in college. Lower body mechanics are also something he needs to work on, but the Shanahans actually coach this as well as anybody.

Ryan Tannehill
Prospect status: High ceiling, low floor
NFL status: Future starter, not immediate

Breakdown: The "low floor" status is only there because of the current hype. If he goes as high as No. 4 overall, anything less than an extremely good career will be a disappointment. The worry is that a high draft placement pushes him in too soon. He needs the Carson Palmer, Philip Rivers treatment. Although he has limited college starts, he still has very good feel for the nuance of the position. His mechanics and pocket instincts have been trained very well, allowing him to be incredibly efficient for such limited experience. He has a unique trait in that he syncs his lower body, core and arm together. This gives him a suddenness that will allow him to make plays in clutter that other can't. Think of Aaron Rodgers snapping off a quick, accurate throw in a split-second. Tannehill is a former WR, so he's an excellent athlete, and that transfers well to his QB game. Very good off-platform accuracy and ball speed will allow him to thrive in a second-reaction instance, meaning off-rhythm plays, or when a QB climbs in the pocket. He has been trained in progression passing (Mike Sherman is a West Coast offense guy), but he's still in his early stages of ownership.

Challenges: Challenges will be speeding up the QB learning curve, especially as it relates to processing the post snap pictures from a quarterback perspective.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Brandon Weeden
Prospect status: High ceiling, middle floor
NFL status: Future starter, able to start soon

Breakdown: Weeden will be 29 years old as a rookie, which many believe is a pretty significant negative. I disagree. His age (and accrued wisdom) has given him great perspective in life and as a player. Nothing is too big for Weeden and although old in age, he has plenty of time to be a good NFL QB. Think about it: who thinks of their QB on a 10-year plan? If he starts well, he can easily be solid for 7-8 years. As a player, he made huge improvements from junior to senior year, which tells me he still has tremendous room for growth. I have witnessed first-hand his growth from fundamental standpoint, as well as his thirst to learn more about defenses and offensive tactics. The offense he ran at Oklahoma State has many NFL passing concepts and he routinely made NFL throws in big moments of games. He has upper echelon arm talent and his foot energy is very good.

Challenges: He will be playing in more cluttered environments. He wasn't touched much in college because of the way they protected. He must learn how to play a slower-tempo ball control game.

Nick Foles
Prospect status: Not a certain star, but high floor
NFL status: Future starter, not immediate

Breakdown: Foles is the most underrated quarterback in the draft. He had very little help in college, yet didn't flinch. His ability to anticipate is a special trait that will allow him to thrive at the next level. Anticipators at his level see the field through a more confident lens -- receivers aren't covered if I can make them open -- and can beat defenses by throwing receivers open, literally leading them out of coverage to a perfect spot. He isn't an overly gifted athlete, but moves very well in tight spaces and has tremendous pocket presence (highest completion percentage and TD/INT ratio on pressure throws). His ability to anticipate makes up for his physical limitations (see: Drew Brees, Kurt Warner) and actually sets him apart as a passer. He has great stature, which should help him stay healthy, and huge hands, which will allow for better ball control in poor weather conditions and better ball security in the pocket. Foles is a tough-minded kid who will play with a chip on his shoulder. This kid is a gifted passer and gifted passers thrive in the NFL game.

Challenges: You would not associate Foles with movement, and second-reaction plays, because he's a really big guy without fast feet. That said, his tape shows tremendous productivity in both areas.

Kirk Cousins
Prospect status: Mid-ceiling, mid-floor
NFL status: System-fit starter, not early

Breakdown: A highly refined and sophisticated player. Next to Luck, Cousins has the most graduate-level tape. He keeps an advanced understanding of protections, run game, pass concepts and situational football. He has more juice in his arm than given credit for; the system and personnel around him didn't allow him to showcase it. I spent five days with him this summer through our camps, and was thoroughly impressed with his football IQ, leadership, communication skills and ability to learn. Mechanically, he's very sound, which will allow him to maximize his athletic potential. He needs time on the sideline to take in the NFL.

Challenges: His challenges will be a false perception that he's not an athletic talent and that he lacks a "wow" factor in his game. Given a system that emphasizes line-of-scrimmage control, game management and mid-range completions (most offenses rooted in West Coast principles), he can thrive. I can see him developing into a more dynamic version of Matt Flynn given the proper training and opportunity.

Brock Osweiler
Prospect status: High ceiling, basement floor
NFL status: High potential, project for now

Breakdown: Osweiler is very raw and thus very risky if much is expected too soon. He is an extremely talented athlete with tons of arm talent, but lacks QB instincts and hasn't played enough football to hone his skill set. Has to be "raised' behind a similar stature QB and within an offense that creates space through the play-action pass, giving him room to move given his length; he's just about 6-foot-8. His quarterback coach has to be great teacher and increase his football IQ while he's not playing (you would be surprised how poorly the back-up is coached in the NFL).

Challenges: The situation. He simply has to land with an organization that can afford to invest the time and training. He's a worthy project because the ceiling is so high, but he could be ruined if asked to help immediately, taking away the chance he gets the proper reps while not under the gun. Under pressure, he'll resort to old tendencies.

Next: As I said, during the NFL draft, I'll release the next batch of quarterbacks you could see come off the board. The current names I'm considering include: Ryan Lindley, Kellen Moore, Russell Wilson, B.J. Coleman, Chandler Harnish, Austin Davis, Darron Thomas, Aaron Corp, Case Keenum, Jacory Harris, G.J. Kinne, Chester Stewart and John Brantley. There could still be more, of course. Still wortking through more and more evaluations.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The Rams sh8tted on the Browns with the RGIII trade, what makes them think that the Browns won't return the favor!?

business is business............if the Rams deal is better, you take it.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
So who else thinks Morris Claiborne is extremely underwhelming for a top 5-7 pick? I know it's a weak draft, but I don't think Claiborne is much better than an average CB prospect. The guy is actually pretty small (188 pounds) for the speed / acceleration numbers he put up. I think the LSU D-line made him very overrated, and he only had one season as the #1 CB on the team. Long arms will help him, and he seems like a very disciplined player. But I don't see anything that makes him a special prospect. I wouldn't take him in the top 10.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
In order of whom you'd want if they're all on the board how would you rank these players?

J. Jenkins
S. Hill
Devon Still
Coby Fleener

These are the guys I'd consider if Poe, Perry, Konz, & Glenn are gone and the Niners don't trade down.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
So who else thinks Morris Claiborne is extremely underwhelming for a top 5-7 pick? I know it's a weak draft, but I don't think Claiborne is much better than an average CB prospect. The guy is actually pretty small (188 pounds) for the speed / acceleration numbers he put up. I think the LSU D-line made him very overrated, and he only had one season as the #1 CB on the team. Long arms will help him, and he seems like a very disciplined player. But I don't see anything that makes him a special prospect. I wouldn't take him in the top 10.

I agree with you on Claiborne, who I think is much more of a 2nd round prospect than top 5, but I can't wait to see this 2012 draft class on the field -- It's going to be one of the strongest we've seen in recent memory!

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
In order of whom you'd want if they're all on the board how would you rank these players?

J. Jenkins
S. Hill
Devon Still
Coby Fleener

These are the guys I'd consider if Poe, Perry, Konz, & Glenn are gone and the Niners don't trade down.

As overall players at their position:
Still, Jenkins, Fleener, Hill

Status
Not open for further replies.