• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2012 NFL Draft - Thurs. April 26th

Status
Not open for further replies.

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2012/story/_/id/7742812/2012-nfl-draft-former-florida-gators-cb-janoris-jenkins-walking-tightrope

NFL Draft 2012
Commentary
Janoris Jenkins walking tightrope
As draft approaches, oft-troubled CB prospect can't afford to stumble

Originally Published: March 29, 2012
By Jeffri Chadiha | ESPN.com

The barrel-bodied coach with the syrupy drawl wasn't mincing words with Janoris Jenkins last spring. Terry Bowden had already spent the previous two years at North Alabama, a Division II school located in Florence, so he understood some players might not embrace a small program with limited resources.

As Bowden scanned Jenkins' body language that day in his office, the coach also sensed Jenkins trying to find his own comfort level. The kid had no choice. This was his last hope of resurrecting the reputation he had nearly firebombed while at the University of Florida.

Because Bowden had made his name while coaching Auburn from 1993 to '98, he knew Jenkins would have an immediate impact at a lower level. The bigger issue was whether Jenkins could deal with his new surroundings after being dismissed from Florida following three seasons as a star cornerback.

"I told him that we'd be playing in front of 500 people some days," Bowden said. "We'd be taking buses to games and not jets. And I also didn't want to see him wearing any orange and blue. He wasn't a Gator anymore. He was a North Alabama Lion."

Janoris Jenkins file
Scouts Inc.: Is slightly taller than the average CB in the NFL today and has adequate bulk on frame. Top-end speed is good but not great. Durability has not been an issue. Complete report

Jenkins probably didn't need to hear the hard truth about where he was heading. With one year of eligibility remaining in college, he wasn't concerned about location or limelight. He cared only about regaining the stature he holds today, as one of the most highly regarded cornerbacks in this year's NFL draft. The real challenge, as far as Jenkins could see, was finding a way to restore his good name.

When Jenkins arrived at North Alabama, he carried the taint of three arrests at Florida, the last two for marijuana possession, and a failed drug test. Today, he's a 23-year-old man trying to make people see that he's learned plenty from those mistakes.

"So far the process has been good," Jenkins said recently when asked about his pre-draft preparation. "I try to do everything I can [to help my stock] on the field, and I also try to answer people's questions about me off the field. All I can do is let people know that things have changed."

"He's definitely a player," one AFC general manager said. "He can run, and you could start him at the nickel [cornerback] from day one. The thing that somebody will have to decide is whether he's accountable. You don't know if what he's been through will rear its head again."

At 5-foot-10 and 192 pounds, Jenkins has the quickness, savvy and playmaking ability that NFL teams covet in their cornerbacks. He's also battle-tested. At the height of his career, he stifled future first-round picks such as Cincinnati's A.J. Green (formerly of Georgia) and Atlanta's Julio Jones (Alabama). Throw in the teammates Jenkins routinely faced in Florida practices (including current Vikings receiver Percy Harvin and Oakland's Louis Murphy), and you get the idea. The guy doesn't lack for mental toughness.

The past 12 months have given Jenkins something else that will be an asset: humility. He gained that by discussing his mistakes at places such as Big Brothers Big Sisters and various schools near North Alabama. He earned it by bringing the relentless energy of a walk-on to his multiple special-teams duties. Even when teams weren't throwing at him, Jenkins didn't brood over his lack of opportunities. He figured his days at Florida would provide ample evidence of his skills to pro scouts.

Jenkins sounds convincing when saying he never worried about moving down to Division II -- "My talent never went anywhere," he said -- but he does understand the work that still lies ahead. He's already had time to display his maturity in front of coaches at the Senior Bowl and in brief interviews at the combine in February. There will be longer question-and-answer sessions with teams as the draft nears along with his pro day in a few weeks. As confident as Jenkins is, there is no room for error at this point.

Jenkins accomplished a lot at Florida. He also made his share of poor decisions.

There already have been whispers about how Jenkins' four children will affect his concentration and bank account at the next level.

"Janoris isn't a risk of being a problem off the field in the NFL," Bowden said. "He's a tough kid and a hard worker. People talk about him having four kids, and I didn't even know that because he never talked about it. Usually, guys that have issues with that are late for practice or always dealing with stuff. I always felt like Janoris was handling his business."

Jenkins also has found comfort in the maturity he's gained over the past year. This past fall, his father, William, sent him a DVD of the movie "Secretariat" in hopes of teaching him another valuable lesson.

"I wanted him to know he was just like that horse," William said. "There are times when you're going to lose but you also can't give up. Janoris has kept fighting."

That Jenkins wound up in such trouble is still something that surprises the people in his hometown of Pahokee, Fla. When his mentor, Sandy "Sarge-C" Cornelio, first met him six years ago, Jenkins was a junior at Pahokee High School. Cornelio was an Army sergeant recruiting students, and he encouraged Jenkins to consider serving his country as well. "Nah," Jenkins said at the time. "I'm going to college to play football."

Last edited by a moderator:

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
A strong relationship soon developed between Cornelio and Jenkins. Whenever Cornelio came through Pahokee, Jenkins would ask about the military or what was happening with the search for Osama bin Laden. Cornelio liked the kid's curiosity, energy and desire to get ahead.

"Janoris had a lot of joy in him," Cornelio said. "He didn't see himself as a star. He was very down to earth."

Jenkins made a similar impression on the Gators when he arrived in 2007. He'd never played cornerback in high school -- he excelled at multiple positions, including running back -- and yet he quickly earned the respect of older defensive backs such as Joe Haden and Major Wright. Jenkins had a palpable fearlessness to his game even then, and, as William remembered, "Janoris would always tell you he could do anything except fail."

Added former Gators co-defensive coordinator Chuck Heater, now at Temple: "Janoris had the instincts, the anticipation and the confidence. He had the 'it' factor."

Looking back on those times, Cornelio suspects things were going "too perfectly" for Jenkins once he became a freshman starter on Florida's 2008 national championship team. Heater also remembers feeling concerned about old friends making trips from Pahokee to see Jenkins. By June 2009, there were legitimate issues. They started when Jenkins ran into two men while helping a teammate search for a lost national title ring at a Gainesville nightclub.

The drama increased to the point that Jenkins said one of the men tried to snatch a chain off his neck. Once Jenkins left the club and ran into the man again, Jenkins punched him and immediately felt the sharp sting of a police officer's stun gun in his back.

"I felt the Taser, and my first instinct was to run," Jenkins said. "It wasn't like I walked up and hit the guy in front of a cop."

Jenkins earned his first strike against his reputation with that incident -- he was charged with fighting and resisting arrest, for which he received a deferred prosecution agreement and was placed on six months' probation -- but his on-field play was still what had people talking at that point. Even after sustaining a torn labrum in the first game of his junior season, Jenkins played every game. He impressed so much that he earned All-SEC honors and plenty of buzz as a potential first-round pick. If not for that shoulder injury -- along with a desire to finish a college degree -- Jenkins would have bolted from Florida after that season.

There has never been a day, as far as Jenkins concedes, when he has wondered what would have happened if he had left for the NFL. All he knows is what did happen. Florida head coach Urban Meyer retired, a move that Jenkins said left him "depressed." When new coach Will Muschamp arrived, Jenkins was still recovering from offseason surgery, and the two rarely saw each other. That combination of variables -- downtime and distractions -- ultimately led to Jenkins making the worst possible impression on a coach who hardly knew him.

Jenkins had a productive 2011 season at North Alabama. The question is whether he did enough to repair his image.

In January 2011, a Gainesville police officer walked into the bathroom of a local nightclub and found Jenkins holding a small bag of marijuana. That would be Jenkins' first arrest on a misdemeanor charge for possession of the drug. Jenkins accepted a plea agreement with the state attorney's office on that charge and was ordered to pay court costs of $316.

The second came three months later, shortly after Jenkins left a car with a teammate and two friends from Pahokee. When a nearby policeman smelled marijuana and asked to check the car, it didn't matter that Jenkins didn't drive or own the vehicle. When the officer found a small bag of marijuana, Jenkins wound up in handcuffs again. He was forced to pay $421 in court costs and fines for the misdemeanor charge of possession of less than 20 grams of marijuana.

Three days later, Jenkins met with Muschamp while Cornelio and William listened to the coach's reasoning for dismissing his star cornerback. The coach told Jenkins he had two options: enter the NFL supplemental draft or transfer. Since NCAA rules forbid Jenkins from transferring to another Division I Football Bowl Subdivision program at that point, he had to consider a lower level of competition. (Muschamp wasn't available for comment but released a statement saying, "Janoris is a very talented football player who has a lot of God-given ability. I wish nothing but the best for Janoris and I hope he has a long, prosperous NFL career and a productive life after football.")

During the four-hour ride back to Pahokee, Cornelio clarified things even more while William glared at his son.

"I told him he had three choices," Cornelio said. "When he finished college, he was either going to the NFL, the Army or back to Pahokee to work with his father [driving a truck]. He had to decide. And to his credit, he needed about 30 seconds to make the right choice."

"They basically told me that I had made my mistakes," Jenkins said. "And now I had to figure out how to deal with them."

William and Cornelio agreed that allowing Jenkins to enter the supplemental draft would be counterproductive. Along with losing money, Jenkins wouldn't have paid a steep enough price for his mistakes. He ultimately liked North Alabama because of Bowden's reputation and a shot at a national title. Before accepting Jenkins, Bowden did his homework by talking extensively with Muschamp, Heater, Meyer and even Florida athletic director Jeremy Foley. Jenkins did his part by going all-in with North Alabama.

Jenkins returned three punts for touchdowns this past season while blocking a field goal and a punt and covering kickoffs. He also inspired his teammates.

"I was just happy to get the opportunity to play with those guys," said Jenkins, who finished the season as a second-team Division II All-American. "I saw what they had to go through in order to get their opportunities. I tried to let them know that they could've been D-1 players, too, even though they didn't get the chance."

"Going from Florida to North Alabama for Janoris was like going from driving a Lexus to driving a Hyundai," William said. "But it was a positive for him. We'd been on him for three years, and I think he started to relax. He needed to realize this could all be over in a flash."

Now Jenkins has to convince others that he's as contrite and committed to success as Bowden believed. Said Heater: "He's not a bad kid. I think Janoris just made some bad decisions. He had a lot of friends from Pahokee that would come see him [in Gainesville], and I don't think they were the best influences."

Bowden added that he doesn't see Jenkins as having a drug problem, saying, "I can see how this happened. His coaches had left. He couldn't practice because of that injury. And Pahokee isn't that far from Gainesville. If he had been getting up at 5 a.m. to lift weights, I guarantee he wouldn't have been doing that stuff."

Ultimately, the support of Jenkins' former coaches goes only so far. The true test is what the NFL decision-makers believe.

"The toughest thing is what are the issues," said former Baltimore Ravens coach and current Fox analyst Brian Billick when asked about drafting players with character questions. "Young people tend to do stupid things. Do you have a sense he understands he has to change his behavior? … Going forward, is this an ingrained part of his character, or did he just do some stupid thing? If it's the latter, you can be optimistic about the NFL and what's at stake for him will help sort that out. If it's an innate part of the character, that's where you don't want to make that mistake."

As Jenkins recently prepared to take his oldest son out for a day of fun, he tried to remain optimistic about the possibility of people eventually seeing his upside.

"I know I made those mistakes," Jenkins said. "But I also know I don't do those things anymore and I don't hang around with those guys. I've learned that you have to face reality. And the biggest thing isn't just how you face it. It's what you do after that point."

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
McCoy or Tannehill?
8:43AM ET

Cleveland Browns TopEmailComments2 The general feeling we've been getting from the Cleveland Browns thus far this offseason is that they're content with Colt McCoy -- for now -- but will consider drafting Texas A&M QB Ryan Tannehill, either with legitimate interest in having him compete with McCoy, or as a smoke-screen in order to generate some trade offers. In the opinion of NFL Network analyst Mike Mayock, Cleveland would be much better off grabbing the Aggie passer in that spot.

"I think Cleveland has to take him at No. 4," Mayock said after watching Tannehill's pro day, per the Cleveland Plain Dealer. "He's not ready to play Day One, but to me, he's a franchise quarterback, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him go at No. 4 and maybe even 3 [if a team trades up with the Minnesota Vikings]."

The Plain Dealer reports that Browns OC Brad Childress and QB coach Mark Whipple were both in attendance at Tannehill's session on Thursday. Nevertheless, ESPN AFC North blogger Jamison Hensley urges some caution here:

- Tim Kavanagh

Jamison Hensley
Tap the brakes on the Tannehill bandwagon

"It was at this time last year when Mayock said Blaine Gabbert should be taken over Cam Newton. 'Bottom line, he's the first quarterback off the board,' Mayock said after Gabbert's pro day. From my viewpoint, the Browns' choice at No. 4 should be between running back Trent Richardson and wide receiver Justin Blackmon."

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Who wants Trent?
10:04AM ET
Trent Richardson | Interested: Buccaneers?, Rams?, Browns?

Despite the decreasing value placed on "feature backs" in the NFL, Alabama's Trent Richardson finds himself amongst the elite group of six players that is likely to be taken with that first sextet of picks (also included in the cohort is Andrew Luck, Robert Griffin III, Matt Kalil, Justin Blackmon and Morris Claiborne). So who's going to be calling his name on the night of Apr. 26?

It seems -- based upon a tweet from Stephen Holder of the Tampa Bay Times -- that the Tampa Bay Buccaneers would like to get their hands on Richardson. "They love him," the scribe tweeted.

But at No. 5, the Bucs are one spot below the Cleveland Browns, and Tony Grossi of 850 AM ESPN Radio presents a strong case as to why Richardson is the best pick for Cleveland at No. 4.

In truth, the Browns' pick at No. 4 is where many believe the NFL Draft will start to get interesting this year, with Luck and Griffin likely going 1-2 (in some order) and Kalil likely heading to Minnesota at No. 3. It remains anyone's guess what the Browns will do -- they've also been linked to QB Ryan Tannehill in addition to Richardson, Blackmon and Claiborne -- but it appears the Bucs would prefer it if they go with one of the non-Richardson options.

- Tim Kavanagh​

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Jags going DE at No. 7?
9:22AM ET
Jacksonville Jaguars

With the emphasis on the passing game in today's NFL, it's vital for teams to have playmakers on the defensive line who can disrupt the flow of the opposing passer. Heading into this offseason, that was an area that many believed the Jacksonville Jaguars would target, as it was a deficiency of an otherwise reasonably sound defense in 2011. The Jags began the process by re-signing DE Jeremy Mincey, but they've largely been quiet since.

At the NFL owners meetings this week, Jags GM Gene Smith confirmed that the team will look at DE draft prospects, according to the Florida Times-Union, though did not name names. UNC's Quinton Coples, South Carolina's Melvin Ingram and Alabama's Courtney Upshaw are believed to be amongst the top pass-rushers in this year's class.

Interestingly, Todd McShay of Scouts, Inc. had the Jags going with another position at No. 7 overall (Iowa OT Riley Reiff) in his latest mock draft, but did have them taking a DE in Round 2, USC's Nick Perry.

- Tim Kavanagh​

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The Cowboys' first-rounder
8:28AM ET
Dallas Cowboys

UPDATE: With the news that Cowboys head coach Jason Garrett would be attending Alabama's pro day, speculation ran wild that particular Crimson Tide prospects are on the club's radar in the draft. Last offseason, Garrett attended only one pro day -- USC's -- and the team drafted a player he saw that day (Tyron Smith). Tim MacMahon of ESPNDallas.com has an idea for the Cowboys with their first-rounder, based upon the knowledge gained by this trip (see below).

---

Many envisioned the Dallas Cowboys signing OG Carl Nicks in free agency this offseason, but the former New Orleans Saint went to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers without much interest (at least publicly) from Jerry Jones' team. The Cowboys did sign two other O-linemen -- Nate Livings and Mackenzy Bernadeau -- and as a result, this may mean that they'll not be worrying about drafting another at No. 14 overall.

"We probably wouldn't prefer that. I wouldn't," Jones quipped on Tuesday from the NFL owners meetings, per Calvin Watkins of ESPNDallas.com. "That would keep us from maybe having to pick a top [defensive] player there in the first round and the offensive line. I did it both ways. It left us totally flexible there. You might want to move down and pick up a player that's going to be there rather than being at your 14th -- you might not have been able to do that had you not had the success that we had in free agency."

Jones was also asked whether the club would consider going defense with that pick. "It would look like it was going to be potentially top defensive players there as opposed to a receiver or as opposed to a running back," Jones responded. "But you're going to have some good depth or some good selection opportunities at that level where we are on the offensive line. So all of those areas you'd have to look at. We'd have to take into consideration that we've done pretty well in free agency relative to our offensive line. We have to take that into consideration if we had the alternative of taking it on the defense. So you're not off base when you ask is it likely that would be a defensive player."

Watkins believes that potential selections at No. 14 include LSU DT Michael Brockers, Memphis DT Dontari Poe and UNC DE/OLB Quinton Coples.

- Tim Kavanagh​

Tim MacMahon
Kirkpatrick, Upshaw, Barron and Hightower in focus

"Garrett's planned pit stop in Tuscaloosa should be the first step in the Cowboys following the BAD-A plan in the first round of the draft. That's picking the Best Alabama Defender Available. There are four potential first-rounders that played on the BCS champions' dominant defense: cornerback Dre Kirkpatrick, outside linebacker Courtney Upshaw, safety Mark Barron and inside linebacker Dont'a Hightower. Garrett's presence at the Crimson Tide's pro day -- the only one he plans to attend -- is a pretty good sign that one of those guys will hear his name called when the Cowboys go on the clock in the first round."

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Bears fine with their O-line?
8:00AM ET
Chicago Bears

Entering this offseason, there was some thought that the Chicago Bears would address their offensive line in free agency and/or the draft. With many of the FA options already signed elsewhere, it's become increasingly clear that Chicago has opted out of that part of the strategy.

"I'm very encouraged," Bears GM Phil Emery said of his O-line as currently constructed, per Sean Jensen of the Chicago Sun-Times. "We have two young players at offensive tackle that are both very talented. Both are big, physical players. They're the kind of players that you're looking for."

Jensen also notes that the Bears didn't really have much cap space with which to work this offseason, and to be fair, aside from Eric Winston, the OTs available this year generally didn't fall into the "elite" category, either. And, let's not forget that the Bears did invest a first-round pick in Gabe Carimi in 2011, and he's expected to play a major role in 2012 and beyond.

On the interior, it's a different story. Not only were there some tantalizing players available, but the current group is in need of an upgrade. Nevertheless, they passed on OGs like Carl Nicks, Ben Grubbs and Evan Mathis, as well as Cs like Scott Wells and Jeff Saturday.

The second piece of the strategy may be intact, however, in that Chicago can still make some additions via the draft. In fact, Todd McShay of Scouts, Inc. has them going with an OT in Round 1, Stanford's Jonathan Martin:

- Tim Kavanagh​

Todd McShay
Martin a good partner for Carimi

"Martin needs to add some strength, but he could pair with 2011 first-round OT Gabe Carimi to give offensive coordinator Mike Tice a pair of bookends to coach up. Tice's scheme will help keep QB Jay Cutler upright, but the Bears desperately need a left tackle."

Status
Not open for further replies.