• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2012 NFL Draft - Thurs. April 26th

Status
Not open for further replies.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Seattle looking to trade down?
10:29AM ET
Seattle Seahawks

After addressing what they felt were the Seattle Seahawks' biggest needs through their first two drafts and free agency, Seahawks GM John Schneider and HC Pete Carroll can now truly adopt the "best player available" strategy in this year's draft. And that could involve trading down in Round 1 if they believe they can still get a good player further down than No. 12 overall.

"If somebody does something that's really attractive, then we feel comfortable with the way we've prepared that we can go back, too," Schneider confirmed, according to Clare Farnsworth of Seahawks.com. "We feel like we've covered some things so we can go ahead and just take the good players that come to us."

There's some belief that finding another pass-rusher is of paramount importance for Seattle in this year's draft. If they stick at No. 12, they should have a nice crop from which to choose. In Mel Kiper, Jr.'s latest mock -- where he played GM for every NFL team -- he selected UNC DE Quinton Coples in this spot:

- Tim Kavanagh​

Mel Kiper, Jr.
Arguably the best DE in the draft class

"Coples has dropped a bit in the past month, as I sense that a lot of personnel folks aren't of the belief that he has a really high ceiling. But at No. 12, you're still talking about getting the guy who most saw as the most complete 4-3 defensive end prospect in this draft class for the better part of two years. Coples can play."

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Trade-up for Cowboys?
10:02AM ETDallas Cowboys

The Dallas Cowboys' first-round pick (No. 14 overall) has been a hotly debated one; at one time, it seemed a near certainty that an interior O-lineman would be the choice, then Alabama S Mark Barron emerged as the front-runner and now it seems like a defensive lineman or CB could be in the mix. The good news is that Jerry Jones and his henchmen will have a nice bunch of players from which to choose if they remain at 14.

However, it's not out of the realm of possibility that a particular player could slide out of the Top 10, and that the Cowboys will trade up a few spots to grab him. In his latest mailbag column, Calvin Watkins of ESPNDallas.com discusses that possibility as it relates to Mississippi St. DT Fletcher Cox:

- Tim Kavanagh​

Calvin Watkins
Cox might not make it to pick No. 14

"I do like Cox, but he could be gone by the 14th selection. If Cox slips out of the top 10, do you try to move up and get him? Swapping picks is not out of the question for Jerry Jones."

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Will the Eagles draft a QB?
9:30AM ET
Philadelphia Eagles

There's no debate as to who will be the starting QB for the Philadelphia Eagles at the onset of the 2012 regular season. That's Michael Vick. But given that the Va. Tech product will turn 32 years old this offseason and has had trouble staying on the field in recent campaigns -- in addition to the fact that the club can void the rest of his alleged $100 million deal after the 2012 season -- the Eagles may be considering their future at the position in this year's draft.

Though the idea of trading up from No. 15 overall to grab Texas A&M passer Ryan Tannehill is possible, we've heard nothing to substantiate those rumors. But using a pick in a later round on the position remains a potential outcome; the risk is lower, and the reward can be great, especially if they can develop this hypothetical prospect into a starting-caliber player (either to use themselves or deal, as was the case with Kevin Kolb).

In comments this week, Eagles GM Howie Roseman did not rule out drafting a QB as high as the second round, according to Jonathan Tamari of the Philadelphia Inquirer. However, if they do so, it will be because they have little doubt that this player can be molded into at least a Kolb-level QB; in other words, they aren't willing to roll the dice at that level of investment.

"You better be pretty confident in your evaluation of that quarterback and feel really comfortable that he's going to be a good player, because really in the second round, you're not into taking projections or guys that you think have a chance to be a starter," Roseman explained. "You want to, at least going into it, when you're picking him, know that your evaluation of this player is that he is going to be a starter. We're not trying to go into the second round and take projections or developmental guys. We're trying to get guys that we believe when we evaluate them are going to be good starters for us."

While many draft analysts in the media don't feel that strongly about any of the second-tier QBs in this year's class, the Eagles' scouts may feel differently. We'll find out soon enough.

- Tim Kavanagh​

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
QBs on the Broncos' radar
9:04AM ET
Denver Broncos

Of all the teams with picks in the last third of the first round, the Denver Broncos are amongst the most captivating. The club was responsible for two of the biggest headlines in the league this offseason -- signing Peyton Manning and trading Tim Tebow -- and they've generated their share of speculation as to who will be added to their roster in the first round (No. 25 overall). While many believe that a DT will be the pick there, there's a chance that a QB could be the selection; if not at No. 25 overall, then likely soon thereafter. Manning is 36 years old, and coming off multiple neck procedures.

Jeff Legwold of the Denver Post has been doggedly pursuing all the buzz emanating from the team regarding their potential addition of a QB prospect, and he writes Friday that the two players with whom the Broncos have spent the most time are Oklahoma St.'s Brandon Weeden and Arizona St.'s Brock Osweiler. As with any of the QB prospects not named Andrew Luck or Robert Griffin III, there are significant flaws with each. Despite this, both Weeden and Osweiler are expected to be off the board by the end of the second round.

The list does not end there, however. Wisconsin's Russell Wilson, Michigan State's Kirk Cousins, San Diego State's Ryan Lindley and Boise State's Kellen Moore are also on the Broncos' radar, though these prospects should still be available in a later round.

It's unclear just how badly the Broncos need to invest a high draft pick on the QB position; if Manning is as healthy as we've been led to believe, then he should have another few seasons of high-level performance in him. As a result, if they do take a QB this year, there will not be much pressure to take over very soon.

- Tim Kavanagh​

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Big name leads developmental prospects
April, 18, 2012 3:39PM ET
By Todd McShay

Plenty of NFL prospects come out of the draft ready to contribute right away, but plenty more need time to develop into contributors at the next level.

Potential can be found up and down the board, but these five players are the most intriguing developmental prospects in the 2012 class. Some might not see the field much early in their careers, but if they land in the right situations all will offer a good return on investment.

Brock Osweiler needs work, but his ceiling is high thanks to his arm and intangibles.

Arizona State QB Brock Osweiler
There are plenty of positives about Osweiler's game, starting with his raw arm talent. When he throws with balance Osweiler makes some impressive throws, and he is a former Gonzaga basketball recruit who has surprising mobility for a 6-foot-67 prospect. Finally, he is a tough, competitive player and all indications are that his work ethic and intangibles are solid.

As for the negatives, start with the fact Osweiler started just 15 games in college and clearly needs work on the finer points of quarterback play. He needs to become more savvy in his reads and progressions, from not telegraphing and/or forcing throws to throwing with better balance and making better decisions. His inexperience is especially evident when he faces top-notch defenses, such as in Arizona State's 56-24 loss to Boise State in the MAACO Bowl Las Vegas.

However, all of those negatives can be coached up, and if Osweiler lands in the right situation he will flourish. He's the most naturally talented second-round quarterback prospect in recent seasons, but Osweiler needs a good quarterback coach and a spot behind an established veteran where there is no pressure to play for the first couple of seasons.

That will allow Osweiler to watch as things are done the right way, from the meeting/film rooms to the practice field to Sunday afternoons. If that happens, the odds of him reaching his full potential are higher than most other developmental quarterbacks.

Denver would be an ideal place for Osweiler at this point. He would have the opportunity to learn from Peyton Manning, absorbing all the mental and physical processes one of the all-time greats employs. Other good fits include Green Bay now that Matt Flynn is in Seattle; with the Seahawks now that Flynn is penciled in as the starter; and even places like Arizona and Pittsburgh.

SMU DE/TE Taylor Thompson
Thompson was a pass-catcher in high school who bulked up and played defensive end at SMU, but he's a naturally gifted athlete who was down to about 260 pounds at his recent pro day and worked out as a tight end. He ran the 40-yard dash in the 4.6-second range and surprised some scouts with his natural route-running and ball skills.

He's clearly raw and would need work as a tight end, but it won't surprise me if a team takes a flyer on him early on Day 3. Thompson has the athleticism and versatility to contribute early on special teams whether he remains on defense or commits to becoming a tight end. A team could also take a shot on him as a rotational defensive lineman who can play fullback and do some other things in short-yardage situations. That upside and flexibility will likely prove intriguing enough for someone to give him a shot in the later rounds.

Auburn OT Brandon Mosley
Another natural athlete, Mosley played linebacker, tight end and punter in high school, and defensive end in junior college. He didn't move to the offensive line until his first season at Auburn in 2010, but ended up claiming a starting spot and played with Cam Newton during the Tigers' national title run.

There are some concerns about his age and mental capacity -- he did not qualify academically out of high school and spent a year in prep school before beginning his juco career -- but Mosley continued to develop in 2011 and has solid size (6-53, 314) and athleticism. The offensive tackle class drops off sharply after the second round, and Mosley would be a good fourth-round option for teams that don't have a pressing need on the offensive line but are looking to add developmental potential.

Teams with aging offensive tackles approaching the end of their careers --– Detroit with Jeff Backus or Baltimore with Bryant McKinnie, for example –-- are likely to show interest in Mosley on Day 3.

Oregon State DB Brandon Hardin
Hardin missed all of 2011 with a broken shoulder and would likely move from corner to safety in the NFL, but he has the size (6-25, 222) and natural tools to carve out a role with a team looking for a bigger defensive back who can support the run and has the cover skills to match up with big-body wide receivers and tight ends in coverage.

His technique in coverage needs some polish, but Hardin shows quick feet for his size and closes well on balls thrown in front of him. And while he does have some stiffness in his hips, he's more fluid than expected. Finally, Hardin is physical and aggressive but does not have the great ball skills to be a top playmaker in coverage.

However, his size and speed (4.46 in the 40) give him a unique skill set and his intangibles are said to be solid. Hardin is tough (played through a wrist injury early in his career) and hungry, and he can also contribute on kick coverage. He's another player with the potential to thrive if he lands with the right team in the fourth-round range.

Regina (Canada) DT Akiem Hicks
Hicks began his college career at Sacramento City College and signed with LSU in 2009, but he did not play for the Tigers while his recruitment was under investigation. Hicks was determined to have received impermissible benefits and misled investigators, and he left the program and landed at Regina.

He started nine games in 2010 (24 tackles, 5 for loss, 1.5 sacks), and nine more in 2011 (35 tackles, 8 for loss, 6.5 sacks), flashing the natural gifts that at one time had him headed for the SEC. Hicks has natural athleticism and good size (6-45, 318), long arms (35.1 inches) and good upper-body strength, and he moves pretty well for his size and shows good stamina.

However, he is as raw as it gets. He does not use his hands well, lacks ideal instincts and recognition skills, and has simply gotten away with using his natural tools to dominate lesser players. He also needs to become more explosive and powerful at the point of attack.

Still, all of those flaws can be coached up. The raw ability is there, and Hicks is the kind if Day 3 project defensive line coaches love to get their hands on. You just can't coach his combination of size, length, burst and stamina, and if his game can be polished up Hicks could become a solid rotational player for a team that employs multiple defensive fronts.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Skip Bayless: "If I could get him (Kellen Moore) in the 3rd round, he'd be my steal of the draft."

Ha, ha, ha.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Another quote on Moore from him:

"I would think about, if I had a successful starting quarterback, and I had a late pick in the first round and I thought my guy is getting a little up there, I would take this kid and develop him. I would take him that high."

Of course consider who it is that said it but even for him, for a man who often suggests taking someone high that you can guarantee will still be available much later, that one still really hit me. Yikes.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Another quote on Moore from him:

"I would think about, if I had a successful starting quarterback, and I had a late pick in the first round and I thought my guy is getting a little up there, I would take this kid and develop him. I would take him that high."

Of course consider who it is that said it but even for him, for a man who often suggests taking someone high that you can guarantee will still be available much later, that one still really hit me. Yikes.

LOL. Skip is a funny man. Just looking at his face and him talking sh8 in the morning cracks me up. He reminds me of an aging father who gets more annoying and absurd each year as he continues to get older. He just likes getting attention and starting senseless debate with people. I used to hate him back in the days, then I realize he's just a grumpy old man.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Rating the NFL draft prospects: Offensive linemen - JSOnline

1. PETER KONZ

Fourth-year junior from Neenah. "Hell of a football player," one scout said. "He may be the smartest guy in this whole draft. Oh, my God, he's a genius on the board. Genius. We put him on the board and he blew it away. Great kid." Started 31 games, missing games each year because of injury. His medical history is a concern to a few teams. "People made fun of Matt Birk all the way to the (sixth) round because he didn't look very strong and he was 6-5 and from Harvard," Dominik said. "He has played, what, 13 years? He's a 6-5 guy, but I wouldn't be too hard on this kid. He's inside at center. That's one thing you can hide a little bit in there." Arms were 33, bench press was 23 and Wonderlic was 28. "The Pouncey boys went (first round) the last two years and they were way more aggressive than this kid," another scout said. "This kid is very smart, but he is tall and he is not very strong at all. He might get away at center if you've got two big guards to help him."

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Rating the NFL draft prospects: Offensive linemen - JSOnline

1. PETER KONZ

Fourth-year junior from Neenah. "Hell of a football player," one scout said. "He may be the smartest guy in this whole draft. Oh, my God, he's a genius on the board. Genius. We put him on the board and he blew it away. Great kid." Started 31 games, missing games each year because of injury. His medical history is a concern to a few teams. "People made fun of Matt Birk all the way to the (sixth) round because he didn't look very strong and he was 6-5 and from Harvard," Dominik said. "He has played, what, 13 years? He's a 6-5 guy, but I wouldn't be too hard on this kid. He's inside at center. That's one thing you can hide a little bit in there." Arms were 33, bench press was 23 and Wonderlic was 28. "The Pouncey boys went (first round) the last two years and they were way more aggressive than this kid," another scout said. "This kid is very smart, but he is tall and he is not very strong at all. He might get away at center if you've got two big guards to help him."

so if we're looking at him to fill RG temporarily...............this wouldn't make sense? assuming this guy's projection is correct?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
So I've been hesitant to say anything negative about Courtney Upshaw this offseason because he looks like a solid player, but I don't get why people consider him a top 20 pick. Like Melvin Ingram, I think he's vastly overrated. The amazing Tide DL behnd which he's played made him look like a better player than he really is IMO.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
So anyone have anything to say about Mitchell Schwartz OLT from Berzerkley? I think he's underrated.

He doesn't seem like a future probowler at LT, but he has experience at both LT and RT. Could be useful to have on the roster. Might even be able to play guard. And as far as I know he's never been injured. Only had 23 reps at bench, but bench press doesn't really matter that much for OL. Plus 33.5 inch arms are pretty long.

I really like his Cal counterpart DL Trevor Guyton too.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Had my annual draft nightmare last night. Woke up in a cold sweat, believing we had traded up to 8 and drafted Mark Barron.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
You'd better not be a prophet Crimson!

...might as well post the Denard story in this thread too:

Neb.'s Dennard accused of punching police officer | Fox News

LINCOLN, Neb. – Nebraska's outgoing star cornerback Alfonzo Dennard has been arrested after a disturbance outside a Lincoln bar.

Capt. Jason Stille says the 22-year-old Dennard was arrested early Saturday on suspicion of assault of a police officer, third-degree assault and resisting arrest. He's being held in the Lancaster County jail.

Stille says officers tried to break up a fight between Dennard and a 22-year-old man outside The Hour Lounge about 2:15 a.m. Saturday. That's when police say Dennard punched an officer in the head. Stille says Dennard was arrested after a struggle with four officers.

Dennard, a senior, is projected to be as high as a second-round pick in next week's NFL draft.

A message left Saturday for a Nebraska athletic official wasn't immediately returned.

Read more: Neb.'s Dennard accused of punching police officer | Fox News

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The more I read, the more I look at these kids, I'm sure the pick will be Amini Silatolu. He's just too nasty for a team like ours to pass up, with Zeitler as the backup plan.

Amini Silatolu Highlights - YouTube

I don't care about the comp, that kid's a monster. Imagine when he learns technique and get's even stronger.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Bill Polian's five best-drafting teams since 2009, according to an insider article he wrote for ESPN.com (in alphabetical order):

Baltimore Ravens
Detroit Lions
Green Bay Packers
New York Giants
San Francisco 49ers (NaVorro Bowman the best value pick and Aldon Smith was his cornerstone pick)

Status
Not open for further replies.