• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: 1st Round: Boston Celtics vs Philadelphia Sixers

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The process failed. Sadly, it has to be admitted. The reason I say sad is because the opportunities were there, and they just drafted poorly. If they had drafted Porzingis over Okafor, or Tatum over Fultz--totally different situation in Philly right now. Hinkie understood all along that you can never nail all the picks, you just have to get a lot and nail some. But he got fired and the team's overall percentage on hitting the process-era lottery picks was simply too low.

The Process was incomplete because the NBA fucked us over and made us shit can Hinkie.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do believe the process would have been more likely to work of Hinkie hadn't been fired, but let's keep in mind that he drafted Okafor over Porzingis, even though it sounds like Sixers scouts saw the potential of Porzingis. He made his share of errors.

All in all, I think one of Philly's biggest mistakes in the process was drafting like it was 1990s basketball. They took guys like Noel and Okafor who were not suited for modern NBA offense at all.

LogicMan

Watch out for Berniedoodles and Trumpers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also lean trading Embiid for numerous reasons:
1. He’s glass
2. If he had the makeup of a champion he’d have exhibited that by now.
3. He is going to bring more on the market back right now than Ben Simmons who isn’t shooting right now and could be perceived as broken (despite being an All Star and potential unicorn)
4. You are stuck with Horford who can play 5 on a team constructed with Simmons and Harris. Both Horford and Harris play better off of Simmons.
5. The pieces that play best with Embiid are easy to move on from like Furk.
6. Simmons game will evolve. He’s 24. And he makes pieces on the team better.

I would keep Embiid. All others are trade bait. He needs a wing like a Jaylen Brown and a Penetrating smaller point guard. He would be a force with lanes opening up some. Ben Simmons once healthy must be moved

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After the first quarter I was a little worried Embiid was going to go for 40+. What was it, 11 points on 4-4 or 5-5 shooting? He had a damn good game- 26 & 16. But didn't have an epic game. He'll probably put up big numbers each game of the series.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They aren't beating the Raptors without Hayward imo

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sucks for Hayward. That dude can’t catch a break.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do believe the process would have been more likely to work of Hinkie hadn't been fired, but let's keep in mind that he drafted Okafor over Porzingis, even though it sounds like Sixers scouts saw the potential of Porzingis. He made his share of errors.

All in all, I think one of Philly's biggest mistakes in the process was drafting like it was 1990s basketball. They took guys like Noel and Okafor who were not suited for modern NBA offense at all.

That was part of the process though.

The whole idea was to swing for the fences on every pick. That is why they took players like Embiid and Noel when other teams were shying away.

They correctly identified that they needed to draft at least 1 superstar to build around. And they were going to keep taking high upside, high risk players until they found a couple franchise pillars to build around.

it worked. They just failed utterly in putting the complementary pieces around Simmons and Embiid.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The whole idea was to swing for the fences on every pick. That is why they took players like Embiid and Noel when other teams were shying away.

They correctly identified that they needed to draft at least 1 superstar to build around. And they were going to keep taking high upside, high risk players until they found a couple franchise pillars to build around.

it worked. They just failed utterly in putting the complementary pieces around Simmons and Embiid.
It’s also time to recognize that the game of Embiid and Simmons may not flush together.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It’s also time to recognize that the game of Embiid and Simmons may not flush together.

Maybe not, but I still want to give them at least a year under a better coach.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe not, but I still want to give them at least a year under a better coach.

That’s fair. But if I’m Elton Brand I’m listening this off season.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I hear what you are saying, but what is the "swing for the fences" potential of a shot blocking big like Noel with no offense?

Or an old-school PF like Okafor whose game consisted of back to the basket low post moves?

Their evaluation metrics were weird and dated.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hear what you are saying, but what is the "swing for the fences" potential of a shot blocking big like Noel with no offense?

Or an old-school PF like Okafor whose game consisted of back to the basket low post moves?

To your argument, they lucked into Embiid. If they actually had the pick they earned, they would have drafted Wiggins or Parker. Embiid was viewed as a consolation prize at that time.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To your argument, they lucked into Embiid. If they actually had the pick they earned, they would have drafted Wiggins or Parker. Embiid was viewed as a consolation prize at that time.

Embiid was also firmly in discussion for #1 overall before he got hurt. A lot of teams had him over Wiggins.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Perhaps.

Noel was what, pick 7?

He was also considered by many scouts to be a top 3 pick before he got hurt. Scouts thought he could be a foundational defender.

Okafor was always overhyped. He can score, but just can’t defend his position. But also, a lot of scouts had Okafor as the 2nd pick. Philly got him at 3.

My point is that a lot of people missed on that one. Same thing with Fultz. It wasn’t like they went off the board with a crazy pick like Anthony Bennett.

They picked highly regarded players. In hindsight, those guys all had obvious holes in their games, but Philly scouts weren’t the only teams ranking them high.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perhaps.

Noel was what, pick 7?

He was also considered by many scouts to be a top 3 pick before he got hurt. Scouts thought he could be a foundational defender.

Okafor was always overhyped. He can score, but just can’t defend his position. But also, a lot of scouts had Okafor as the 2nd pick. Philly got him at 3.

My point is that a lot of people missed on that one. Same thing with Fultz. It wasn’t like they went off the board with a crazy pick like Anthony Bennett.

They picked highly regarded players. In hindsight, those guys all had obvious holes in their games, but Philly scouts weren’t the only teams ranking them high.
Danny Ainge didn't miss... :thumb: :D

Ainge doesn't hit every time, but his good clearly outweighs any bad... picks like Jaylen Brown and Jayson Tatum were rock solid, even if talking heads at the time were not enthusiastic about them.

The trade makes Tatum an epic get.

northeastphillyguy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that Horford hurts this team Plus he gets big money for mediocre results. We are stuck with him and a bad contract as well.