• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

18 Game Season Proposed to NFLPA, but with 16 Game Limits

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stupid, very stupid. Fans go to one of the games where star players aren't playing. If you propose a 18 game season, let them all play 18 if they want.

FWIW, I agree, but 18 and play 18 is never going to fly with the NFLPA so they are trying to get to 18 thru the side door which is stupid.

IMO the players will be nuts to agree to 18 games unless, rosters are expanded, pay is adjusted for 18 games and all of it guaranteed.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, I believe this is kind of a trojan horse. Get to 18 games, and then after a season or two of the 16 game max, the competitive nature of the players will take over and the limit will be eliminated.

Bottom line is that the owners want 18 games... So what can they give back to make it happen? Obviously rosters would need to be expanded. If you give each team 10 more roster spots, suddenly you have 320 additional players. Gotta think those players on the bubble would appreciate that.

If agreed the 18/16 limit would be in force until the next CBA.

What can they give back that would make it happen? As you said, expand the rosters, but the big one is fully guaranteed contracts...any less that that and the players are even more foolish than originally thought.

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What can they give back that would make it happen? As you said, expand the rosters, but the big one is fully guaranteed contracts...any less that that and the players are even more foolish than originally thought.

I'd say a clear medical plan to cover players after they are done playing. Obviously that one is a tad tricky, because a guy with a 13 year career and dozens of cumulative injuries deserves more of a lifetime health coverage deal than a guy who played one game and just wasn't good enough, but... I think this is one of the keys.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd say a clear medical plan to cover players after they are done playing. Obviously that one is a tad tricky, because a guy with a 13 year career and dozens of cumulative injuries deserves more of a lifetime health coverage deal than a guy who played one game and just wasn't good enough, but... I think this is one of the keys.

That's a good one...may not be good enough to get 18 games, but lifetime health insurance after being vested in the pension plan I like.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a good one...may not be good enough to get 18 games, but lifetime health insurance after being vested in the pension plan I like.
How the NFL doesnt have a health plan for retired players is actually amazing.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is just so stupid. There is not a damn thing wrong with the current set up, just another money grab by team owners.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How the NFL doesnt have a health plan for retired players is actually amazing.

Out of site, out of mind I suppose.

Yep...from what I understand, I think they get health insurance for like 5 yrs after retirement if you are vested for the pension...5 yrs is better than nothing I think, but the leadership in the NFLPA basically forgot about retired vets from earlier eras.

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is just so stupid. There is not a damn thing wrong with the current set up, just another money grab by team owners.

From a fan perspective, I think preseason completely sucks and wish the season was a little longer...I would LOVE two additional regular season games.

Honestly I think fans that oppose it are siding with the players and that is fine, but what FAN wouldn't live the NFL season to last longer?

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From a fan perspective, I think preseason completely sucks and wish the season was a little longer...I would LOVE two additional regular season games.

Honestly I think fans that oppose it are siding with the players and that is fine, but what FAN wouldn't live the NFL season to last longer?

You could get rid of two pre-season games and stick the the regular 16 game schedule IMO, that would be the best option. I don't see any reason to add two games or two weeks I would get no more joy out of that. Between College on Sat the NFL on Sun, Mon and Thurs I feel that is quite enough.

And I agree with players it's a lot of wear on tear on the body that owners do not understand.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't see the NFL ever giving fully guaranteed contracts because of the hard cap.

I think if the NFL upped the cap by 5% maybe 10% of all gross revenue the players would be very interested.

5% across the board + 2 more game checks would be a hefty raise.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I've said the NFL and the NFLPA has to do better job giving aid to former players for years.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see the NFL ever giving fully guaranteed contracts because of the hard cap.

I think if the NFL upped the cap by 5% maybe 10% of all gross revenue the players would be very interested.

5% across the board + 2 more game checks would be a hefty raise.

Players get 48% I believe...the most the players would see is a 50/50 split, so 2% more is all they can expect.

Adding games shortens careers even further. So even if you get 2 more game checks, but if your career is shorten by a yr, have you really made any gains?

There are ways around the cap. This is JMHO, as long as players can be released from a contract with money left on it...18 games should never come to pass in the NFL.

We shall see, but based on the leadership of the NFLPA, it wouldn't surprise me to see 18 games.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Players get 48% I believe...the most the players would see is a 50/50 split, so 2% more is all they can expect.

Adding games shortens careers even further. So even if you get 2 more game checks, but if your career is shorten by a yr, have you really made any gains?

There are ways around the cap. This is JMHO, as long as players can be released from a contract with money left on it...18 games should never come to pass in the NFL.

We shall see, but based on the leadership of the NFLPA, it wouldn't surprise me to see 18 games.

I don't know if 18 games will ever be approved, just saying money can change the players minds. The question is what amount and who blinks first.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually like the idea. 2 games won't make a significant difference in the standings and none in the playoffs. The downside is that a team with a bad #2 is probably worth skipping even if you're a fan. Most matchups will likely be chalk but it sets up the potential for historic upsets.