• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

18 Game Season Proposed to NFLPA, but with 16 Game Limits

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Backup kicker.

A team in the stretch run having to sit multiple starters because they decided to roll dice on sitting players figuring injuries would take care of the 2 games for them.

Pensions. Not only would the roster have to expand to handle a proposal like this, but the number of players who got signed to 2 week contracts and then cut would be huge. And it only takes being on an NFL roster for 2 games over a 4 year span to qualify for a full pension.

Pissing off your biggest fans: fantasy football owners and sports gamblers.

This isn't a real proposal. Too many negatives. No way the owners would want this. No way you can honestly project this as being enough of a money gain to justify all the negatives.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't like it, just continue the way it is, pre season is like tryouts for players, let that keep rolling... Why have 2 games that count towards your record that have back-ups in ? Tha @#^@ in the NFL thinking ?

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be absolutely beyond pissed if I had bought a ticket to a game and players didn't play.. I mean it's basically a weeks paycheck just to go to a freaking game

Exactly.....

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Football doesn't need fantasy football just as it doesn't need gambling, pick'ems, or survivor games. .

Bullshit.

NFL viewer ratings are what they are because of fantasy football and gambling.

Bars don't survive without alcoholics. Strip clubs don't survive without perverts. McDonalds doesn't survive without fat people. The modern NFL as we know it wouldn't survive without fantasy football and gamblers.

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bullshit.

Bars don't survive without alcoholics. Strip clubs don't survive without perverts. McDonalds doesn't survive without fat people. The modern NFL as we know it wouldn't survive without fantasy football and gamblers.
Fantasy Football will survive if this happens. In fact with the roller coaster ways, I am sure in time it would become even more, with the complications in the game. Gambling. There would be even more for gamblers to bet on. This would end up a non issue.

Reactions: gob

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bullshit.

I think it would be fine without FF.

Pure Steel

Hoopla Cash
$ 402.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bullshit.

I have to say, I’m quite offended by being called an alcoholic, a pervert and fat....all in a short paragraph......

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bullshit.

lol. The NFL was a multi-billion-dollar industry before people even thought about FF. The NFL doesn't depend on FF or gambling. People will create games and gamble on whatever is popular. In short people play FF because they like the NFL. If they didn't like the NFL but they liked Nascar then they'd play fantasy Nascar, (or whatever the named equivalent is). The NFL relies on it's tv advertising for income and the advertisers go with tv ratings. The advertising revenue streams will change over time but that's what the NFL's need is focused on rather than FF, gambling, or even people going to watch the games.

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Isn’t that how Foles made the Eagles?
No. Kurt Warner was working in PE1's Grocery store for centers. When Vermeil plucked him from obscurity :heh:

Brees#1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
actually that already happens if your players are on a Playoff team. Now it would just happen throughout the season instead of just at the end.

My fantasy playoffs does not have a week 17.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
because it would never pass. The NFL wants it to pass.

The saying right now at 16 games is everyone is hurt by the end of the season. They wont just tack on 2 more games to the wear & tear.

16 games played in an 18 game season gives the NFL & owners more revenue.
Helps keep players healthier for the season. They get three weeks off instead of 1 in the reg. season.

Fan obviously wont like it, but I have been saying it is the only way they could get the NFLPA to agree to expand it. & it keeps the record book intact. A player that is dinged up. let him rest a week since you know you have to sit him two weeks anyways.

I am fine with it staying at 16, but if they were to move to an 18 game schedule. No way it gets okayed by the union without something like this. You would just be driving players into an even earlier retirement.

I like the idea of cutting two weeks of preseason and increasing byes to 3

Brees#1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol. The NFL was a multi-billion-dollar industry before people even thought about FF. The NFL doesn't depend on FF or gambling. People will create games and gamble on whatever is popular. In short people play FF because they like the NFL. If they didn't like the NFL but they liked Nascar then they'd play fantasy Nascar, (or whatever the named equivalent is). The NFL relies on it's tv advertising for income and the advertisers go with tv ratings. The advertising revenue streams will change over time but that's what the NFL's need is focused on rather than FF, gambling, or even people going to watch the games.

NFL also had much more high character guys then too. Today, if someone isn't helping your fantasy team, and you don't like those players personally, why are you gonna watch them? Without FF and my Saints, the NFL is not enjoyable for the most part because I don't like the character that's winning.

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the idea of cutting two weeks of preseason and increasing byes to 3
I am cool with that too. But not adding 2 games. Leave it at 16.
I dont ever see the Union being ok with putting players through an 18 game season. Not with the concussion protocols & all the science they have nowadays vs. the last couple times they extended seasons. (from 12 to 14 & 14 to 16) there would be to much backlash about health.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am cool with that too. But not adding 2 games. Leave it at 16.
I dont ever see the Union being ok with putting players through an 18 game season. Not with the concussion protocols & all the science they have nowadays vs. the last couple times they extended seasons. (from 12 to 14 & 14 to 16) there would be to much backlash about health.

Seems like a decent middle ground

Get six more prime time games and the players get more rest through the season