• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

'14 AL Central Smack Talk Thread

da55bums

Royals -when they do win its a WS RING.
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It'll be the same thing as it has been for the last 3 years QUOTE]

Not a chance, Tigers fans have toned it down in there a ton, oddly since Vice left and Cleaves went back to what he understands I am guessing, there is an increase in non-tigers fans and its much more about baseball and the entire AL Central.

With actual impartial, more complete stat guys...even you have toned down your Tiger hyped stats, impartial and complete wasn't your strong suit.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a chance, Tigers fans have toned it down in there a ton, oddly since Vice left and Cleaves went back to what he understands I am guessing, there is an increase in non-tigers fans and its much more about baseball and the entire AL Central.

With actual impartial, more complete stat guys...even you have toned down your Tiger hyped stats, impartial and complete wasn't your strong suit.

Where do you see stat guys posting in the AL Central thread? Outside of your trolling posts -- it was all Tiger fans at the end of the year. CaptO disowned the Indians, only to have them comeback and start winning and then he showed up again. Shaneman was the only true Indian fan in the thread -- he stuck by them all year.

I'd love to see AL Central fans stick it out for the year. Unfortunately -- I don't see it happening. When one team has the best starting rotation and the best lineup -- the outcome isn't going to change, especially now with the financial flexibility they have to upgrade the one big piece that was hurting them (the bullpen) and a front office/owner who is willing to spend money.

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where do you see stat guys posting in the AL Central thread? Outside of your trolling posts -- it was all Tiger fans at the end of the year. CaptO disowned the Indians, only to have them comeback and start winning and then he showed up again. Shaneman was the only true Indian fan in the thread -- he stuck by them all year.

I'd love to see AL Central fans stick it out for the year. Unfortunately -- I don't see it happening. When one team has the best starting rotation and the best lineup -- the outcome isn't going to change, especially now with the financial flexibility they have to upgrade the one big piece that was hurting them (the bullpen) and a front office/owner who is willing to spend money.

Who says that there HAS TO BE a connection of being a fan of a winning team and the amount of time one spends posting? Seems to me, that if this is the way people go about their business here, then there sure are a lot of fair-weather bandwagon fans here.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tigers fans have been saying its "their year" for only the last 7 years...whoppie....and for the first time, they look like they made the right move...no way I thought this when they signed Fielder. The "best" Gm in the league at least realized his mistake in Fielder and did something about it, kudos to him for fixing it....(which STL still has the best GM in the league, but Detroits GM is top 5...TB, OAK, still ahead of him to name a few others)

St. Louis most definitely have better scouts. No team in the MLB has a staff of scouts who find diamonds in the rough all over the place in the draft. If KC had St. Louis's scouting staff -- they'd be dominant right now with all the high draft picks they have had.

I wouldn't trade Dombrowski for anyone though -- no GM in the league trades as well as he does. He has made one bad deal in all his years with the Tigers -- trading Jair Jurrjens for Edgar Renteria. The rest have been unreal. Most of our team is made up from trades (Max Scherzer, Anibal Sanchez, Doug Fister, Miguel Cabrera, Omar Infante (going to miss him), Austin Jackson, Jose Iglesias -- all picked up thru trades)

I realize he isn't Dayton Moore, but Dombrowski has to be considered in the top 2 or 3 GM's in the MLB. I can say -- if he ever made this comment, I would demand he be fired:

Royals GM Dayton Moore says he feels ‘like we’ve won the World Series’ after going 86-76 and missing playoffs for 28th straight year

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who says that there HAS TO BE a connection of being a fan of a winning team and the amount of time one spends posting? Seems to me, that if this is the way people go about their business here, then there sure are a lot of fair-weather bandwagon fans here.

There absolutely is a lot of fair weather fans. It has been that way since Detroit starting winning the division regularly. Cleveland fans were out in droves in 2012 when they had the best record in the MLB after a month or two, then disappeared when they fell off the face of the earth. 2013 saw them out again, as they started strong and then lost like 10 in a row to the Tigers. The most vocal Tribe fan is CaptO and he disowned them and said he was going to root for LA or Boston instead.

KC fans are die hard -- I will give them that. They just don't have much backing on these threads. They are out on the game blogs though. I actually have a lot of respect for KC fans, ever since they showed up and packed the stadium in the last game of 2012 and gave Miggy a standing ovation when he won the Triple Crown. The only KC fan I don't care for is DaBums, because he just likes to troll the boards and stir up sh*t.

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There absolutely is a lot of fair weather fans. It has been that way since Detroit starting winning the division regularly. Cleveland fans were out in droves in 2012 when they had the best record in the MLB after a month or two, then disappeared when they fell off the face of the earth. 2013 saw them out again, as they started strong and then lost like 10 in a row to the Tigers. The most vocal Tribe fan is CaptO and he disowned them and said he was going to root for LA or Boston instead.

KC fans are die hard -- I will give them that. They just don't have much backing on these threads. They are out on the game blogs though. I actually have a lot of respect for KC fans, ever since they showed up and packed the stadium in the last game of 2012 and gave Miggy a standing ovation when he won the Triple Crown. The only KC fan I don't care for is DaBums, because he just likes to troll the boards and stir up sh*t.

Thank you for your reply. I was starting to feel a bit invisible.

Maybe this is because I am an old fart, and/or because I call myself a fan of the sport first, and a fan of a specific team second, I don't get why MLB fandom is out of whack on message boards as far as representation per team is concerned.

I have even asked many times in many places as to why this is. The best I usually get back is "It just is, and, it's just different, and you have to understand"

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where do you see stat guys posting in the AL Central thread?

Oh there are "stat guys" on that thread. Guys like bums who will take two months worth of stats and project them over an entire career to make a point about how much better a Royals player is than some other team's player. :whistle:

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh there are "stat guys" on that thread. Guys like bums who will take two months worth of stats and project them over an entire career to make a point about how much better a Royals player is than some other team's player. :whistle:

I'm starting to notice a trend here opinion wise on Mr. Bums.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm starting to notice a trend here opinion wise on Mr. Bums.

LOL... I'm probably picking at an old scab from earlier this year. Couldn't resist.

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so, I am guessing that the AL Central smack talk doesn't change from year to year like CBS did?

As you seem to be taking some hits here today, maybe this will help brighten your day.

Ervin Santana is almost certain to leave Kansas City as a free agent and the Royals [ame="[MEDIA=twitter]403631157859737600[/MEDIA]"]announced[/ame] that they’ve replaced him in the rotation with Jason Vargas, signing the left-hander to a four-year contract. Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com [ame="[MEDIA=twitter]403631213795364864[/MEDIA]"]says it’s worth[/ame] $32 million.
Vargas was traded from the Mariners to the Angels for Kendrys Morales last offseason and threw 150 innings with a 4.02 ERA, missing time with a blood clot in his arm pit.
He’s a 30-year-old soft-tosser with a 4.30 career ERA, but Kansas City should be a good home ballpark for masking Vargas’ homer-related issues and before the blood cot he’d thrown 193, 201, and 217 innings the previous three seasons.
Vargas is a decent enough mid-rotation starter, but much like with Jeremy Guthrie last offseason the Royals are making a very long and expensive commitment to a mediocre 30-something starter. The Angels didn’t make Vargas a qualifying offer for fear he’d accept the one-year, $14.1 million deal, so they won’t get any compensation for his departure and he won’t cost the Royals a draft pick.

Last edited by a moderator:

da55bums

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

lol...that was funny and I have done it but it was 4 months of stats, get it correct...

Hosmer is still going to be better than Fielder, like last year..

da55bums

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As you seem to be taking some hits here today, maybe this will help brighten your day.

Ervin Santana is almost certain to leave Kansas City as a free agent and the Royals announced that they’ve replaced him in the rotation with Jason Vargas, signing the left-hander to a four-year contract. Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com says it’s worth $32 million.
Vargas was traded from the Mariners to the Angels for Kendrys Morales last offseason and threw 150 innings with a 4.02 ERA, missing time with a blood clot in his arm pit.
He’s a 30-year-old soft-tosser with a 4.30 career ERA, but Kansas City should be a good home ballpark for masking Vargas’ homer-related issues and before the blood cot he’d thrown 193, 201, and 217 innings the previous three seasons.
Vargas is a decent enough mid-rotation starter, but much like with Jeremy Guthrie last offseason the Royals are making a very long and expensive commitment to a mediocre 30-something starter. The Angels didn’t make Vargas a qualifying offer for fear he’d accept the one-year, $14.1 million deal, so they won’t get any compensation for his departure and he won’t cost the Royals a draft pick.

your dead on right....pretty much a Guthrie clone...I think the same price as Guthrie also....except younger...pretty fair deal....

Definately love signing Vargas over trying to resign Santana, more than happy with his 1 and done effort.

just need the veterans Guthrie, Vargas and Shields mentor Duffy, Venture and Almonte this season...

Last edited by a moderator:

da55bums

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

sorry my bad...they are in the Trout over Miggy post...thats been the better one to read lately...

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ugh, if Moore wanted to gamble, why the hell would you not gamble on Hughes before Vargas? Really Moore?

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ugh, if Moore wanted to gamble, why the hell would you not gamble on Hughes before Vargas? Really Moore?

I myself see the logic. To me, Vargas is Mr. slow, steady, and dependable ( save for the armpit thing last year ). Compare that to Hughes, who has both tools and talent, but has yet to prove that he can put good back to back starts together, much less back to back good seasons.

Risk/reward signing.

da55bums

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
St. Louis most definitely have better scouts. No team in the MLB has a staff of scouts who find diamonds in the rough all over the place in the draft. If KC had St. Louis's scouting staff -- they'd be dominant right now with all the high draft picks they have had.

I wouldn't trade Dombrowski for anyone though -- no GM in the league trades as well as he does. He has made one bad deal in all his years with the Tigers -- trading Jair Jurrjens for Edgar Renteria. The rest have been unreal. Most of our team is made up from trades (Max Scherzer, Anibal Sanchez, Doug Fister, Miguel Cabrera, Omar Infante (going to miss him), Austin Jackson, Jose Iglesias -- all picked up thru trades)

I realize he isn't Dayton Moore, but Dombrowski has to be considered in the top 2 or 3 GM's in the MLB. I can say -- if he ever made this comment, I would demand he be fired:

trolling posts, eh? hello kettle

Dayton Moore isn't in the Top 5 GMs....Domb is...I never stated Moore is and won't til his people have matured...I don't even think he is top 10...but I guess you have the right to make stuff up since you generally do.....

the Royals have gotten better from where they were...Just think back to the Tigers of 2000 to 2005..you got to start somewhere, its easier to asses when your already near the top of the hill...of course Domb has been in Detroit for over 7 years...if Dayton can get the Royals to the playoffs in 2014 or 15...he would definately move up and be on about the same pace it took Domb....it took Domb 5 years to get to the playoffs, 1 year fluke, and then 9 years to get a consistant top competitive team

It had nothing to do with high draft picks, the high draft picks in Daytons years are all on schedule and becoming MLB ready....Detroits high draft picks all were flops except 1...and 1 of the royals high draft picks has only hit about .450 against him, lol.....STL strength is pitchers in later rounds, TB and Oak are EASILY pitching factories.

Dayton has brought in Escobar, Cain, Shields, Guthrie, Santana, Boni and now Vargas. Signing Sal Perez, Ventura and Almonte are currently still looking like they are well on their ways...lets see how it looks after the 9 to 11 year marks Domb has reached. Detroit has had more time to build it, although they also started building it after setting the worst record and 2 year record for losses the AL has every seen.

Its also easier to be a "great" GM with one of the highest payrolls, unlimited budget and are allowed to basically pull off any trade you want. Lets see, with that type of system....NYY, LAA and BOS have all won World Series while Toronto, Texas and Detroit haven't. Trades with the Marlins (Sanchez, Infante and Miggy) were only because they were not able to afford to keep those players. If Marlins had the same budget or even CLOSE, Tigers don't sniff those players including the TIgers cornerstone Miggy. Stl keeps their spending in check, oak and tb even more...how would Domb do with an actual budget?

da55bums

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Vargas is the better gamble, better WHIP and more mature and more experience..more stable...Hughes would have been a much higher risk and for the same reward...

Watch how they both pitch this year, if Hughes stays in the AL (going to the NL always seems to "improve" them, lol"

lol, sorry Big....just saw your post, lol..my bad repeating the answer.

da55bums

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yes, disagreeing with the belief the Tigers are the best team in the history of the game, with the best GM in MLB, with fans that want to think they have won a world series in the last 29 years, with the best....blah, blah, blah......Many TIgers fans have turned into the Yankees fans that I actually disliked the most before 4 years ago...at least the Yankees fans had won some world series's to justify the arrogance.

Disagreeing=stir up shit...I could see that, fair enough...I do.