• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

130 team rankings over the last 5 years

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
th

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Top 5 over a 5 year span? Bet this is the first time we could say that since 2001-2005.

4 double digit win seasons out of 5 ain't bad. We can't all be Bama.

LOL @ Kansas being 119th. By far the lowest ranked P5 school.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thank the lawd for Charlotte!

DeafOranguntan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,105.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL at Ohio State at #2. I seem to remember that in 2014, they won it all. But in 2015, they didn't win their division. 2016, they didn't win their division but they made the playoffs (lol). 2017, they didn't make the playoffs, and 2018, they didn't make the playoffs. If only there was a team that had won their conference title all five times, been to the playoffs twice as many times, and won it all twice. But some fatass behind a desk deigning to give certain high-schoolers another gold star totally is as important as what happens on the field.

Connelly proves he's an idiot once again.

JohnstoneC8

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL at Ohio State at #2. I seem to remember that in 2014, they won it all. But in 2015, they didn't win their division. 2016, they didn't win their division but they made the playoffs (lol). 2017, they didn't make the playoffs, and 2018, they didn't make the playoffs. If only there was a team that had won their conference title all five times, been to the playoffs twice as many times, and won it all twice. But some fatass behind a desk deigning to give certain high-schoolers another gold star totally is as important as what happens on the field.

Meh - Connelly does a pretty good job, IMO. I think the 2014 season certainly brings us down a little.

3 losses that year - a combined 4 in the next 4 years.

DeafOranguntan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,105.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh - Connelly does a pretty good job, IMO. I think the 2014 season certainly brings us down a little.

3 losses that year - a combined 4 in the next 4 years.

It's not the on-field results that affected it, which is what should determine the past 5 years. Ohio State is 62-7 the last 5 years, with 3 conference titles, two playoff appearances, and one title. That's really, really good, no doubt about it. But Clemson is also indisputably better in that time frame, at 65-7, with 5 conference titles, four playoff appearances, and two titles (and humiliated Ohio State in one of their two trips to the playoffs). I'd also argue Oklahoma has an argument over them as well. They've lost slightly more games and don't have a title, so it's not clearcut, but they've won four conference titles, made the playoffs three times, and have two Heisman winners. And Washington should be a few steps higher given their accomplishments, there's no reason Stanford should be above them. And Auburn at number 7 is an absolute joke, considering their average record the past 5 seasons is 8-5, with no conference titles, one division title, and 2-3 in Bowls (with their two wins coming against the powerhouses of Memphis and Purdue). LSU and Florida State suffer from similar issues. But Connelly decided to weigh recruiting extremely highly, when all this really shows is that the armchair generals who grade recruits really aren't good at their job.

So yeah, I'll double down. Connelly is an idiot.

JohnstoneC8

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not the on-field results that affected it, which is what should determine the past 5 years. Ohio State is 62-7 the last 5 years, with 3 conference titles, two playoff appearances, and one title. That's really, really good, no doubt about it. But Clemson is also indisputably better in that time frame, at 65-7, with 5 conference titles, four playoff appearances, and two titles (and humiliated Ohio State in one of their two trips to the playoffs). I'd also argue Oklahoma has an argument over them as well. They've lost slightly more games and don't have a title, so it's not clearcut, but they've won four conference titles, made the playoffs three times, and have two Heisman winners. And Washington should be a few steps higher given their accomplishments, there's no reason Stanford should be above them. And Auburn at number 7 is an absolute joke, considering their average record the past 5 seasons is 8-5, with no conference titles, one division title, and 2-3 in Bowls (with their two wins coming against the powerhouses of Memphis and Purdue). LSU and Florida State suffer from similar issues. But Connelly decided to weigh recruiting extremely highly, when all this really shows is that the armchair generals who grade recruits really aren't good at their job.

I hear ya. This is a ranking of S&P+ though - not an eye test. That's why that one year drags us down, in my opinion.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We didn't make the playoffs in 2017 or 2018, but we still finished with 3 combined losses and 8 combined top 25 wins. Over the last 5 years, we've beaten 18 top 25 teams and 8 top 10 teams. I wouldn't put us ahead of Clemson personally, but they've still been elite, no question.

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We didn't make the playoffs in 2017 or 2018, but we still finished with 3 combined losses and 8 combined top 25 wins. Over the last 5 years, we've beaten 18 top 25 teams and 8 top 10 teams. I wouldn't put us ahead of Clemson personally, but they've still been elite, no question.
Yeah, I'd put us third.

Jtrain80

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,750.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree with the teams ahead of OU.
Ohio State is really splitting hairs with a natty as the trump card.

Kace-1

Game of Thoops!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can anyone confirm whether relative proficiency was factored in?

JohnstoneC8

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can anyone confirm whether relative proficiency was factored in?

Don't think he uses an RPI metric to come up with S&P+, but they are probably roundabout ways to get to very similar rankings. This article always stood out to me after reading it - Connelly's tenets of football, sort of:

College football's 5 most important stats