• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

MLB Daily Thread: 10-19-17 Does Houston Have A Chance Now? Celtics Lose AGAIN

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most people have seen this season as Gravy once they advanced past the Twins

There was little optimism to upset the Tribe

Less optimism to upset the Stros

And I assume even less vs the Dodgers should they get there

No one ever wants to lose a World Series, but the fact that the window is just opening, it lessens the blow

i get it.

I'm just saying it's weird. You don't see teams getting this far planning to slash payroll.

It'll be interesting to see how they do it too.

First guess is eating a sizeable chunk of Ellsbury's deal and sending him to Seattle.

They may need to cut some cost from the bullpen. I'd deal chapman, but it sounds like Betances is the one likely to go.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i get it.

I'm just saying it's weird. You don't see teams getting this far planning to slash payroll.

First guess is eating a sizeable chunk of Ellsbury's deal and sending him to Seattle.

They may need to cut some cost from the bullpen. I'd deal chapman, but it sounds like Betances is the one likely to go.

Well, CC and Arod contracts are off the books, and that is very significant money

Betances will get traded, I think Castro is also going to be dealt, he is approaching FA, and the Yanks top prospect will take over at 2nd

The BP will stay intact outside of Betances

Ellsbury is unmovable, Id expect he becomes a very pricey 4th OF

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, CC and Arod contracts are off the books, and that is very significant money

Betances will get traded, I think Castro is also going to be dealt, he is approaching FA, and the Yanks top prospect will take over at 2nd

The BP will stay intact outside of Betances

Ellsbury is unmovable, Id expect he becomes a very pricey 4th OF

Anyone can be moved if you eat enough money.

Torress had TJ surgery didn't he? NOt sure you can count on him for opening day. But in a weak SS market maybe you deal Castro anyway.

cerealboi

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,620.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its the most genius rebuild in the history of professional sports

You cannot think of a rebuild in any other sport where a team doesnt completely bottom out

And to think that their payroll will be slashed significantly next season...Beautiful

:rolleyes2:

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone can be moved if you eat enough money.

Torress had TJ surgery didn't he? NOt sure you can count on him for opening day. But in a weak SS market maybe you deal Castro anyway.

Oh yeah, but they wouldn't, this ownership wont eat significant money on a guy they feel will be better served helping the Yankees, unless the player they get in return has some real upside, and I think the assumption is that Ellsbury would bring back very little

Yes, TJ for Torres, but apparently the recovery for a positional player is a lot different than a pitcher.....Opening Day, or sometime in April is what they are reporting

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i get it.

You think they're going to try to get rid of payroll of performing players?

I wouldn't hold your breath on that one.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh yeah, but they wouldn't, this ownership wont eat significant money on a guy they feel will be better served helping the Yankees, unless the player they get in return has some real upside, and I think the assumption is that Ellsbury would bring back very little

Yes, TJ for Torres, but apparently the recovery for a positional player is a lot different than a pitcher.....Opening Day, or sometime in April is what they are reporting

I think it's a reach to expect him to take over from day 1 when he may not even be healthy until into ST.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anything can happen, but if I had to bet, I agree, it's over. Even if Verlander wins tomorrow, what are the Astros going to do on Saturday? Keuchel will be on two days of rest, and the Yankees bats will eat whatever they throw out there.

Exactly hence why I say it's over. And do we really think Verlander is going to pitch a complete game 1 earned game gem again?

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't bet against him. He hasn't given up more than 2 earned runs in a start in the last 2 months. Of course, the way the Astros are hitting right now, two runs will probably be enough for the Fraudkees to win, but I don't see Verlander getting rocked.

yeah he probably won't get rocked but his offense isn't appearing like they will do anything either so it's a no win situation right now

Inquisitor95

Unexpected Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not being able to finish off Game 4 ended it for the Astros.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

soxfan1468927

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,185.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's how I worked the problem based on the known information.
Yeah you worked it wrong. Why did you divide by 2?

If you have a coin flip, and you need 2 straight heads, the odds are 25% not 12.5%