• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

10,000 Posts for a Flyers Cup in 2019

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't say I expected them to beat the Lightning. God they're good.

wbon22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who else was holding their breath whenever Elliot had to extend to one side or the other rapidly? I just couldn't believe that he was put in basically cold like that.

The turnover parade that we had not been seeing as much of, combined with Hart not being as sharp, this game was over at the 10 minute point.

Saw some good flashes...and bounce back in the third period. When you are playing the best team in the league, sometimes that alone can be a win.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How do they have enough cap space to field that star studded roster?

Cirelli, Point, and Sergachev on ELC's.

Vasilevsky and Kucherov on bridge deals.

Gourde on a 'late bloomer / prove-it deal', similar to Morin's here. And he's proving it.

And then Yzerman hoodwinked Johnson and Palat. Those contracts are stupid good for the Lightning.

But the real reason? Stamkos, Palat, Johnson (UDFA), Kucherov, Killorn, Gourde (UDFA), Paquette, Erne, Cirelli, Point, Hedman, and Vasilevsky were all drafted by the Lightning and developed by the Lightning. Sergachev was essentially the same (trade Drouin for him when he had 4 NHL gp).

When you draft/develop well, it affords you all sorts of flexibility cap wise. You can get your big deals in place, like Stamkos and Hedman. You gamble on some mid-range contracts on guys you like (Palat, Johnson), if you do it right, they turn in to steals. Then you can bridge the younger guys, Vasilevsky and Kucherov, give them 3-4 years on relatively cheap contracts so they can maximize their UFA status after that (Kucherov goes to 9.5 next year, from 4.7 this year). And then if you're patient enough, you still have guys coming in on ELC's that can make a difference, Point, Sergachev, Cirelli. Plus you have cap space and future assets to bring in talent to fill in the gaps (JT Miller, Girardi, Coburn)

And if you do all that right, you find yourself on pace to win the President's trophy by 20 points.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sigh...I knew I was cursed but seriously. I get all settled to watch the game...and it is already 3 - 0

Unreal.

I know the Lightning are good but could the Flyers at least compete. The third goal was a good shot but I am sure Hart wants it back..the other two I don't think he could do much.
Well that sucked. Hart looked human for a change but he will bounce back as he did the last time he was pulled.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cirelli, Point, and Sergachev on ELC's.

Vasilevsky and Kucherov on bridge deals.

Gourde on a 'late bloomer / prove-it deal', similar to Morin's here. And he's proving it.

And then Yzerman hoodwinked Johnson and Palat. Those contracts are stupid good for the Lightning.

But the real reason? Stamkos, Palat, Johnson (UDFA), Kucherov, Killorn, Gourde (UDFA), Paquette, Erne, Cirelli, Point, Hedman, and Vasilevsky were all drafted by the Lightning and developed by the Lightning. Sergachev was essentially the same (trade Drouin for him when he had 4 NHL gp).

When you draft/develop well, it affords you all sorts of flexibility cap wise. You can get your big deals in place, like Stamkos and Hedman. You gamble on some mid-range contracts on guys you like (Palat, Johnson), if you do it right, they turn in to steals. Then you can bridge the younger guys, Vasilevsky and Kucherov, give them 3-4 years on relatively cheap contracts so they can maximize their UFA status after that (Kucherov goes to 9.5 next year, from 4.7 this year). And then if you're patient enough, you still have guys coming in on ELC's that can make a difference, Point, Sergachev, Cirelli. Plus you have cap space and future assets to bring in talent to fill in the gaps (JT Miller, Girardi, Coburn)

And if you do all that right, you find yourself on pace to win the President's trophy by 20 points.
Couldn't you have sent this post to Hexy a couple of years ago.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who else was holding their breath whenever Elliot had to extend to one side or the other rapidly? I just couldn't believe that he was put in basically cold like that.

The turnover parade that we had not been seeing as much of, combined with Hart not being as sharp, this game was over at the 10 minute point.

Saw some good flashes...and bounce back in the third period. When you are playing the best team in the league, sometimes that alone can be a win.
Elliot did look pretty good but as you said i was just waiting for him to pull something.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Simmer to the Bruins is what I'm seeing? With the injury to Pastrnak, Simmer would be a possible trade destination for the Bruins.
That is a perfect team for him and should be a fan favorite in Boston with his style of play.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cant wait for Gee to just get frustrated and come out and say that JVR is really hurting his game.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Couldn't you have sent this post to Hexy a couple of years ago.

I mean, that's what Hextall was trying to do. But he had Giroux/Voracek in place already so it was a little different. But that's essentially what he was doing. I expect in a year or two the Flyers will have Giroux, Couturier, Konecny, Patrick, Provorov, Gostisbehere, Sanheim, Myers, Frost, Hart, Farabee on the NHL team as difference makers. Then you mix in guys like Ratcliffe, Allison, Laczynski, Morin, Hagg, Hogberg, Rubtsov as depth players. That's 18 guys that at least have solid NHL potential, all drafted by the Flyers. Including what should be the core of a cup contender, 1C (Couturier), 2C (Patrick), 1D (Provorov), 2D (Ghost/Sanheim/Myers), and 1G (Hart).

They can pay Provorov big (along with G/Voracek), Ghost/Couturier are on steals. Konecny/Sanheim are bridge candidates, Patrick, Ratcliffe, Allison, Laczynski, and Hogberg are all ELC type guys. Morin and Rubtsov have 'prove it' deals written all over them.

Hextall laid a foundation for the Flyers to follow the same path as the Lightning. They just need to see progression from the current young players, and they need Fletcher to fill in the gaps with smart moves. (And for Giroux to not fall off a cliff)

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean, that's what Hextall was trying to do. But he had Giroux/Voracek in place already so it was a little different. But that's essentially what he was doing. I expect in a year or two the Flyers will have Giroux, Couturier, Konecny, Patrick, Provorov, Gostisbehere, Sanheim, Myers, Frost, Hart, Farabee on the NHL team as difference makers. Then you mix in guys like Ratcliffe, Allison, Laczynski, Morin, Hagg, Hogberg, Rubtsov as depth players. That's 18 guys that at least have solid NHL potential, all drafted by the Flyers. Including what should be the core of a cup contender, 1C (Couturier), 2C (Patrick), 1D (Provorov), 2D (Ghost/Sanheim/Myers), and 1G (Hart).

They can pay Provorov big (along with G/Voracek), Ghost/Couturier are on steals. Konecny/Sanheim are bridge candidates, Patrick, Ratcliffe, Allison, Laczynski, and Hogberg are all ELC type guys. Morin and Rubtsov have 'prove it' deals written all over them.

Hextall laid a foundation for the Flyers to follow the same path as the Lightning. They just need to see progression from the current young players, and they need Fletcher to fill in the gaps with smart moves. (And for Giroux to not fall off a cliff)
This doesnt look like a Stanley cup team to me but who knows i hope your right.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This doesnt look like a Stanley cup team to me but who knows i hope your right.

Heh, just hope from me too!

I still think they're missing a young, high end talent, that will be needed to push them over the top. Someone to fill at least some Giroux's shoes as he gets older. Couturier has obviously been fantastic the past couple years, but I don't know if he's enough. I hope that Patrick or Frost can be that guy, I don't really see any of the others with 'headliner' potential. Hart could be that, if he's a Carey Price level goalie, he can be your headliner, but it's way to early to say he IS that.

We'll have to see how it goes, and what Fletcher does to fill the gaps. Who know's, maybe he sees it the same way, puts his chips on the table, and goes after a 'headliner' this summer.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I keep hearing rumors of Simmer to Boston? Do they even have anything wortg trading for that isnt a 5 years down the road type of deal?

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I keep hearing rumors of Simmer to Boston? Do they even have anything wortg trading for that isnt a 5 years down the road type of deal?
Cmon you should know by now thats the only types of deals we do. Its only been 44 years since we won the cup there's no rush.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also see the Bruins are targeting Mark Stone and I'm pretty sure Duchene ends up in Winnipeg or Toronto.