• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

10,000 Posts for a Flyers Cup in 2019

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know lol, but how do we justify any of these guys being good? Therein lies our problem.
When you are TB and have your goalie out for the year and are looking at trading for someone you get what you get. Its not our problem their goalie is hurt.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WOnder whats up with Stolarz? Not that it would be a greater player but just curious?

Stolarz is working back from missing all of last year with a torn ACL. Probably don't want to put him in the NHL while he's working back from that. I strongly believe Stolarz is the better goalie between him and Lyon though, but given the circumstances I can understand Lyon being the recall.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know lol, but how do we justify any of these guys being good? Therein lies our problem.

This. I don't know that any of the Flyers guys are a real upgrade over Domingue and Pasquale to be honest. Neuvirth probably is, but it doesn't matter because he's never healthy.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could you please explain what fancy stats we dominated in?

Corsi (CF/CF%): Measures shot attempts (shots+shots missed+shots blocked). They've proven this out to be a good indicator of who is carrying the play. Higher CF%, the more attacking you did in the game. The more attacking you do, typically the more goals you score.
Flyers: 68 (59.13% of the shot attempts in the game)
Devils: 47

Expected goals for (xG/xG%): Basically places a 'quality' factor on shot attempts, based on type, distance, angle, rebounds, etc. Only counts shots and missed shots. (I like this stat better because it takes into account the quality of the shot. If you blast away from the point all game you could have a high CF%, but point shots have a low percentage of scoring)
Flyers: 4.25 (65.89%)
Devils: 2.2

Flyers also held a CF% @ 5 on 5 of 57% and xG% @ 5 on 5 of 62.2%.

Scoring Chances
Flyers: 28 (62.2%)
Devils: 17

High Danger Chances
Flyers: 16 (69.6%)
Devils: 7

Obviously the only stat that actually matters is goals. But those stats indicate that the Flyers controlled the play to a pretty significant degree. You don't often see Corsi higher than 55% or teamwide for a full game. Based on the shot locations/types for each team, the Flyers 'should have scored' 4 goals, while the Devils only should have scored 2 (which they did, excluding the EN). That's a good indicator that you were either unlucky (hitting 5 posts counts) or the goalie stole one (Kinkaid did play great). One thing that plagues the Flyers typically, shot location (they love point shots), wasn't even an issue last night. If you look at the heat map in the link below, they were actually doing most of their shooting from the slot.

New Jersey Devils @ Philadelphia Flyers, 2018-11-15

I'm not saying that absolves them. They still lost. But this wasn't a bad effort. The played well and had everything but the finish.

raptorlife4

Long Time Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,850.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the way Lyon played last year to get into the playoffs. The team seemed to rally around him

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Corsi (CF/CF%): Measures shot attempts (shots+shots missed+shots blocked). They've proven this out to be a good indicator of who is carrying the play. Higher CF%, the more attacking you did in the game. The more attacking you do, typically the more goals you score.
Flyers: 68 (59.13% of the shot attempts in the game)
Devils: 47

Expected goals for (xG/xG%): Basically places a 'quality' factor on shot attempts, based on type, distance, angle, rebounds, etc. Only counts shots and missed shots. (I like this stat better because it takes into account the quality of the shot. If you blast away from the point all game you could have a high CF%, but point shots have a low percentage of scoring)
Flyers: 4.25 (65.89%)
Devils: 2.2

Flyers also held a CF% @ 5 on 5 of 57% and xG% @ 5 on 5 of 62.2%.

Scoring Chances
Flyers: 28 (62.2%)
Devils: 17

High Danger Chances
Flyers: 16 (69.6%)
Devils: 7

Obviously the only stat that actually matters is goals. But those stats indicate that the Flyers controlled the play to a pretty significant degree. You don't often see Corsi higher than 55% or teamwide for a full game. Based on the shot locations/types for each team, the Flyers 'should have scored' 4 goals, while the Devils only should have scored 2 (which they did, excluding the EN). That's a good indicator that you were either unlucky (hitting 5 posts counts) or the goalie stole one (Kinkaid did play great). One thing that plagues the Flyers typically, shot location (they love point shots), wasn't even an issue last night. If you look at the heat map in the link below, they were actually doing most of their shooting from the slot.

New Jersey Devils @ Philadelphia Flyers, 2018-11-15

I'm not saying that absolves them. They still lost. But this wasn't a bad effort. The played well and had everything but the finish.

Basically what I'm saying here is, if they play like they played last night consistently, they're going to win a lot more games than they lose.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the way Lyon played last year to get into the playoffs. The team seemed to rally around him

I'm fine with Lyon. He doesn't excite me, but he's fine. I think they'd probably be better off with him than with Pickard. Pickard is either really good or really bad, I think that kind of inconsistency is almost worst than just being mediocre. The team has no idea what they've got behind them on any given night. I think Lyon can pretty consistently give them average goaltending.

Psych-Ward

Padded cells optional
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It has to be driving Hextall crazy seeing all these brittle goalies!!!!

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:laugh:

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I concur.

Flyers have to be the only team in sports that can play a game like that. Dominate the 1st, get dominated in the 2nd. Completely go to sleep for the first 10 minutes of the 3rd. Then score 4 goals in 6 minutes against arguably the best team in the league to tie it; and then lose in OT.

What are they even doing?!

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Flyers have to be the only team in sports that can play a game like that. Dominate the 1st, get dominated in the 2nd. Completely go to sleep for the first 10 minutes of the 3rd. Then score 4 goals in 6 minutes against arguably the best team in the league to tie it; and then lose in OT.

What are they even doing?!
That was a pretty crazy game, Pickard did not look great at all, If Lyons isn't any better we better load up offensively. This team seems to play in small spurts so we better learn to put games away quickly too lol

Psych-Ward

Padded cells optional
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:exploding:

Pickard has the puck tossed at him 26 times and only stops 20......WTF
Domingue had 18 in the first period alone and did his job.

Someone send us a goalie for Christmas.....this blows.

I don't understand why Lyons wasn't put in net. Fuck Pickard.