• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

10,000 Posts for a Flyers Cup in 2019

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Current Free Agents
Lehtonen
Mason
Leighton

Next Summer
Bobrovsky (30, 7.425M)
Rinne (35, 7M)
Varlamov (30, 5.9M)
Smith (36, 5.67M)
Howard (34, 5.29M)
Talbot (31, 4.17M)
Miller (38, 2M)

Summer '21
Holtby (29, 6.1M)
Crawford (33, 6M)
Anderson (37, 4.75M)
Murray (24, 3.75M)
Vasilevskiy (24, 3.5M)
Dell (29, 1.9M)

Summer '22
Lundqvist (36, 8.5M)
Rask (31, 7M)
Andersen (29, 5M)
Allen (28, 4.35M)
Dubnyk (32, 4.3M)
Raanta (298, 4.25M)
Grubauer (26, 3.3M)

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^List of guys I would consider adding because they're at least decent, and their contracts ends in a reasonable time frame.

Of those guys, I would say..
Miller, Holtby, Crawford Murray, Vasilevskiy, Rask, Andersen, Raanta, and Grubauer probably aren't going anywhere for one reason or another.

Not super interested in Lehtonen, Mason, Leighton, Varlamov, Smith, Howard, Dell or Allen because I don't think they're big upgrades.

So to me that leaves..
Bobrovsky (30, 7.425M, UFA '19)
Rinne (35, 7M, UFA '19)
Talbot (31, 4.17M, UFA '19)
Anderson (37, 4.75M, UFA '21)
Lundqvist (36, 8.5M, UFA '22)
Dubnyk (32, 4.3M, UFA '22)

As your options. I'd be floored if CBJ traded Bob in division. I'd be surprised if Edmonton traded Talbot, though they could use a shakeup too. But I doubt they turn it over to Koskinen who hasn't played an NHL game since 2011. Minnesota would have to be blowing it up to move Dubnyk I think.

So you're really just looking at Rinne, Anderson, Lundqvist as guys who might be interesting and might be available. At least, IMO.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So should Provy be a healthy scratch to see if he comes back focused? Our forwards suck at back checking also. there were numerous times I saw 3 Flyers and 1 Jacket in the corner where they gained control? It's crazy frustrating, maybe a lot of these players have been hyped up a little more than their capabilities?

Honestly I don't even know. Provorov, based on his play, could probably use a night off. But who do you play instead of him? AMac and Folin? They both suck. Call up Myers? Doesn't seem like a good environment to bring up the kids, especially to have him try and replace Provorov.

Provorov, even playing as poorly as he is, is still probably our 3rd or 4th best defenseman in the organization (Gudas and Ghost are the only clear-cuts playing better than him IMO. Could maybe argue Sanheim or Hagg playing better at the moment too).

I think you just ride it out with Provorov until he starts playing better. I think we're all pretty confident he will, it's just a matter of when.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^List of guys I would consider adding because they're at least decent, and their contracts ends in a reasonable time frame.

Miller, Holtby, Crawford Murray, Vasilevskiy, Rask, Andersen, Raanta, and Grubauer probably aren't going anywhere for one reason or another.

Not super interested in Lehtonen, Mason, Leighton, Varlamov, Smith, Howard, Dell or Allen because I don't think they're big upgrades.

So to me that leaves..
Rinne (35, 7M, UFA '19)

As your options. I'd be floored if CBJ traded Bob in division. I'd be surprised if Edmonton traded Talbot, though they could use a shakeup too. But I doubt they turn it over to Koskinen who hasn't played an NHL game since 2011. Minnesota would have to be blowing it up to move Dubnyk I think.

So you're really just looking at Rinne, Anderson, Lundqvist as guys who might be interesting and might be available. At least, IMO.
I don't think Rinne will be available either especially if the Preds go far again this year. Would have to be a hell of a deal IMO.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Rinne will be available either especially if the Preds go far again this year. Would have to be a hell of a deal IMO.

The only reason I say Rinne is because Saros almost took the job from him last year. Maybe he takes it from him this year. If that happens, it's almost a perfect situation. Preds will want to move 7M of backup goalie money so they can add at the deadline. And they will need a backup to replace him. Good fit with the Flyers who have 5 backup goalies! They can take their pick.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only reason I say Rinne is because Saros almost took the job from him last year. Maybe he takes it from him this year. If that happens, it's almost a perfect situation. Preds will want to move 7M of backup goalie money and need a backup to replace him. Good fit with the Flyers who have 5 backup goalies! They can take their pick.
So should we go after Saros then? Seems like we could get a better deal then for the proven starter?

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So should we go after Saros then? Seems like we could get a better deal then for the proven starter?

So scratching Rinne off the list because i'm dumb..

Saros is basically the perfect backup for the Preds. 1.5M and actually good. It would take a lot, and probably at the deadline, to try to pry him away.

2.42GAA, .923 sv% in 48 regular season games
1.76GAA, .915 sv% in 6 playoff games

Would you trade Simmonds and Elliot, for Saros? The Preds are going to want something to help them win the cup this year. (Given Simmonds' contract status, he seems like the most reasonable to give up to me)

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So scratching Rinne off the list because i'm dumb..

Saros is basically the perfect backup for the Preds. 1.5M and actually good. It would take a lot, and probably at the deadline, to try to pry him away.

2.42GAA, .923 sv% in 48 regular season games
1.76GAA, .915 sv% in 6 playoff games

Would you trade Simmonds and Elliot, for Saros? The Preds are going to want something to help them win the cup this year. (Given Simmonds' contract status, he seems like the most reasonable to give up to me)

Even though I know Simmer is looking to have a big season, yes I would unless we are just to far gone by then.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even though I know Simmer is looking to have a big season, yes I would unless we are just to far gone by then.

I don't know that I would. I would definitely consider it. But if the goaltending/defense doesn't improve in pretty quick order, the Flyers are going to be on the outside looking in by the time the Preds would be looking to do that I think. No reason for them to do it now, they could cruise into the playoffs with the team they have. They would wait to do that trade until the last minute in case Rinne gets hurt.

And is Saros that much further ahead than Hart? 54 games of NHL experience is definitely a head start. But do you move pieces for another 'maybe' situation in net when you've already got a promising 'maybe'?

I don't know. It's a hard situation. I guess that's my main point. Fixing the goaltending situation that's plagued them for decades is easy to talk about fixing, much harder to do and do right.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know that I would. I would definitely consider it. But if the goaltending/defense doesn't improve in pretty quick order, the Flyers are going to be on the outside looking in by the time the Preds would be looking to do that I think. No reason for them to do it now, they could cruise into the playoffs with the team they have. They would wait to do that trade until the last minute in case Rinne gets hurt.

And is Saros that much further ahead than Hart? 54 games of NHL experience is definitely a head start. But do you move pieces for another 'maybe' situation in net?

I don't know. It's a hard situation. I guess that's my main point. Fixing the goaltending situation that's plagued them for decades is easy to talk about fixing, much harder to do and do right.

Lol which leads us back to what we have now, we need to at some point see what we truly have in Hart and Stolarz, I guess bring them up if the season becomes a bust? IDK I would hope a few learning games wouldn't kill one of these guys confidence but who knows. It's a shitty situation to be in for sure.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they just have to ride it out and not make a panic move. I honestly don't even like typing that with that ghastly performance last night. But GM's don't throw life vests, they throw anchors.

If the Flyers can get back to even last years levels of goal suppression (16th in goals against, 24th in sv%), they'll be in a decent spot looking at the playoffs. They were last year, and this team is better than last years team on paper.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol which leads us back to what we have now, we need to at some point see what we truly have in Hart and Stolarz, I guess bring them up if the season becomes a bust? IDK I would hope a few learning games wouldn't kill one of these guys confidence but who knows. It's a shitty situation to be in for sure.

Ya I mean, if the season is lost at some point in Feb/March, I don't see any harm in bringing them up then. Fire the coach, sell at the deadline, bring up the youngsters.

Still pretty early to be thinking that way I think, but that's the typical trajectory for an underwhelming team.

wbon22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So,
Before we go down to rabbit hole of burrying the goaltending future by going after Price or Rinne...let's look more at the problem at hand.

Last season, Elliot started the year healthy and confident that he was healthy. He played with confidence and the team responded in front of him. Neuvy played well in spots but the team never really caught fire in front of him because frankly they didn't know how long he would be in there. The reaction to him was really one where the rest of the team didn't feel he was a team player as where Elliot was. And think about Mrazek. They played for the new guy and to get into the playoffs...but as soon as they got more familiar with him, he too became a bit of a train wreck.

This year Elliot has not looked healthy or confident in any game. He has looked sound, but he never had the bounce he showed last season. There was no way that Hextall was going to let Hart get shelled as a 19 year old no matter how well he played (and he was the best goalie in camp). Lyon, if he hadn't gotten hurt in camp would be the logical fall back, or even Stoly if he had more playing time to get back in a groove. All of these issues lead to the signing of Pickard. No offense, but I could have played as well as he did last night...and for a lot less against the cap.

The issue isn't that we need a goalie for the future...that is pretty much a train that is enroute and we just have to wait. The problem is that the local train keeps breaking down. Elliot and Neuvy were supposed to be capable workmanlike players who got us to next season. The players who got us to the point where Hart has had a year in the AHL and either Lyon or Stoly can split time with him and we move on. Kinda the Lindbergh/Froese era or Peeters/St Croix.

This is brutal to watch. The players have no confidence in the goaltending and are over playing the puck and trying to be too fine which keeps getting them in trouble. Provorov and Ghost need to be split up. Those are little things. But until the team is confident in their goalies, they are going to be dead in the water.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So to me that leaves..
Rinne (35, 7M, UFA '19)

Should've added Carter Hutton over the summer where you would have had a solid goalie and bridge the gap to Hart.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TK scores his first goal of the year and it just so happens that Gee and Couts were out there with him. Hmmmmm Coincidence i think not. Put him back on the first line and shake things up Haks and get some semblance of order.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No way with the team defense we have Hexy brings up Hart to get shelled. I think we will be seeing Stolarz very soon with Pickard heading to the AHL

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No on Price or Rhinne as we have Hart NHL ready next season or the one after.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So,
Before we go down to rabbit hole of burrying the goaltending future by going after Price or Rinne...let's look more at the problem at hand.

Last season, Elliot started the year healthy and confident that he was healthy. He played with confidence and the team responded in front of him. Neuvy played well in spots but the team never really caught fire in front of him because frankly they didn't know how long he would be in there. The reaction to him was really one where the rest of the team didn't feel he was a team player as where Elliot was. And think about Mrazek. They played for the new guy and to get into the playoffs...but as soon as they got more familiar with him, he too became a bit of a train wreck.

This year Elliot has not looked healthy or confident in any game. He has looked sound, but he never had the bounce he showed last season. There was no way that Hextall was going to let Hart get shelled as a 19 year old no matter how well he played (and he was the best goalie in camp). Lyon, if he hadn't gotten hurt in camp would be the logical fall back, or even Stoly if he had more playing time to get back in a groove. All of these issues lead to the signing of Pickard. No offense, but I could have played as well as he did last night...and for a lot less against the cap.

The issue isn't that we need a goalie for the future...that is pretty much a train that is enroute and we just have to wait. The problem is that the local train keeps breaking down. Elliot and Neuvy were supposed to be capable workmanlike players who got us to next season. The players who got us to the point where Hart has had a year in the AHL and either Lyon or Stoly can split time with him and we move on. Kinda the Lindbergh/Froese era or Peeters/St Croix.

This is brutal to watch. The players have no confidence in the goaltending and are over playing the puck and trying to be too fine which keeps getting them in trouble. Provorov and Ghost need to be split up. Those are little things. But until the team is confident in their goalies, they are going to be dead in the water.

Although I agree with a lot of your post, but our Defense has not looked stellar for any goalie for the last 5 years. When you turn the puck over constantly at your blue line that doesn't help your goalie either.