• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

10,000 Posts for a Flyers Cup in 2019

chy1127

Peace & Love, Peace & Luv
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On another note, I just saw Patrick will be out 7 - 10

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok so no Panarin: Here is some stats for you that you are saying the goal scorers get paid:
Just Grabner alone makes us a better team than having JVR.

Grabner has 27 goals in consecutive years and is plus 33 in those two years plus a great penalty killer.
They both came into the league in 2009-10 and Grabner has 158 goals and JVR only has 154. So now AWAZ will you please explain to me why did we sign a third line LW for 5 years at more money instead of a penalty killer who is plus 33 in the last two years who makes less money ?
correction JVR has 201 goals but is still no where near the all around player Grabner is which wouldve been less years and less money for a better player

raptorlife4

Long Time Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,850.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JVR was great the last few years in Toronto.
Cant fault him for this injury as it could have happened to anyone.

Lets just hope we get him back healthy and better now then the end of the season.
He is an important piece moving forward no doubt

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok so no Panarin: Here is some stats for you that you are saying the goal scorers get paid:
Just Grabner alone makes us a better team than having JVR.

Grabner has 27 goals in consecutive years and is plus 33 in those two years plus a great penalty killer.
They both came into the league in 2009-10 and Grabner has 158 goals and JVR only has 154. So now AWAZ will you please explain to me why did we sign a third line LW for 5 years at more money instead of a penalty killer who is plus 33 in the last two years who makes less money ?

That's at least an argument I can stomach :).

Using your revised goal totals and career games played:
.329 g/game for JvR, so 27 goals per 82 games
.284 g/game for Grabner, 23 per 82

So 4 goals per season more with JvR, but with Grabner you get PK-ing and a short handed threat. I don't have a good argument for JvR over Grabner given the Flyers current makeup.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's at least an argument I can stomach :).

Using your revised goal totals and career games played:
.329 g/game for JvR, so 27 goals per 82 games
.284 g/game for Grabner, 23 per 82

So 4 goals per season more with JvR, but with Grabner you get PK-ing and a short handed threat. I don't have a good argument for JvR over Grabner given the Flyers current makeup.

Well, Grabner is 31 and JvR is 29, so that's certainly in our favor too. You would hesitate to give a 31 year old a long term deal.

JvR has the size, strength and skill to create serious mismatches for us when he's 100% healthy. His playmaking ability is way better now than it was years back.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, Grabner is 31 and JvR is 29, so that's certainly in our favor too. You would hesitate to give a 31 year old a long term deal.

JvR has the size, strength and skill to create serious mismatches for us when he's 100% healthy. His playmaking ability is way better now than it was years back.

Grabner only got 3x3.35M though. Compared to JvR at 5x7M, I can't say that JvR is the better signing. JMO though. And I like JvR, glad they signed him. He definitely brings more playmaking ability than Grabner does, but as far as secondary skills go, i'd rather have some PK ability than some playmaking ability, given the Flyers current makeup.

That being said, I firmly believe the PK sucks until Lappy goes. He is very clearly coaching players to leave guys alone in front of the net. It happens too often and with too many different players for that not to be the case. I'm obviously not an expert, but I've watched a lot of hockey, and leaving a guy untouched in front of the net on the PK is ASININE. Lots of beats write goaltending has been the problem on the PK, citing an abnormally low sv% on the PK. I call BS. How many PP goals do other teams score because nobody cleared the porch? Rebound tap-ins or deflections that the goalie has no chance on. I would put that on the defender not the goalie. And in the case of the Flyers, when it's been like 12 different guys over the past 4 seasons under Lappy, I'm putting that on the system.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is on the system, so Grabner doesn't help us much if it's a broken penalty killing system...Lol

4thstreet

You should pay me for being here!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,850.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reading through with what we could have gotten or should have gotten,on previous posts-my thoughts

JVR was best option available after Tavares,but I too would have passed on him.We have too many prospects at forward.

As I mentioned for goalie- 5 1sts for Hellebucyk,or make a play for Bobs who is a UFA after this year.

I agree we need size and scoring,and if it were me,I would have went after Tom Wilson or Patrick Maroon.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Grabner only got 3x3.35M though. Compared to JvR at 5x7M, I can't say that JvR is the better signing. JMO though. And I like JvR, glad they signed him. He definitely brings more playmaking ability than Grabner does, but as far as secondary skills go, i'd rather have some PK ability than some playmaking ability, given the Flyers current makeup.

That being said, I firmly believe the PK sucks until Lappy goes. He is very clearly coaching players to leave guys alone in front of the net. It happens too often and with too many different players for that not to be the case. I'm obviously not an expert, but I've watched a lot of hockey, and leaving a guy untouched in front of the net on the PK is ASININE. Lots of beats write goaltending has been the problem on the PK, citing an abnormally low sv% on the PK. I call BS. How many PP goals do other teams score because nobody cleared the porch? Rebound tap-ins or deflections that the goalie has no chance on. I would put that on the defender not the goalie. And in the case of the Flyers, when it's been like 12 different guys over the past 4 seasons under Lappy, I'm putting that on the system.
You guys can't assume that every player wants to come to Philly. FA can go wherever their heart desires. Obviously JVR wanted Philly and you can't be pissed when they add more scoring. As per the PK could be coaching but they've also groomed guys like Laughton who are improving every day so perhaps they didn't want to slow their progress.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reading through with what we could have gotten or should have gotten,on previous posts-my thoughts

JVR was best option available after Tavares,but I too would have passed on him.We have too many prospects at forward.

As I mentioned for goalie- 5 1sts for Hellebucyk,or make a play for Bobs who is a UFA after this year.

I agree we need size and scoring,and if it were me,I would have went after Tom Wilson or Patrick Maroon.

Tom Wilson at 6 years 5.1M might be the worst contract in hockey.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hart is going to be the next great Nhl goalie and he's already in our system, playing pro games. He'll get his second start tonight or tomorrow. So far, so good. It would be insane to make a major play on an established, top goalie at those prices and salaries without knowing what we have on the way already. He could be our #1 next season, easily. The road is paved and clear for him.

Lol Can you imagine Tom Wilson in a Flyer jersey? He would get banned from the sport for life, and probably in his first season too. Perhaps even by the All-Star break...

Maroon could've been a big body, physical presence and role player, but he won't light up the scoreboard for you. He signed with St. Louis due to strong family ties, so his mind was made up.

Last edited:

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Besides, the last time we made a play on who we thought was a big time goalie, it did not work out so well. Hello, Bryzgalov. We were very fortunate to be able to buy him out soon after with no detriment to the team. I believe we are paying him through 2027 not to play for us. Not too shabby for that crazy SOB...Lol

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree with everything here except for the goalies and tom Wilson only because Hart should be ready in 2 to three years as our goalie of the future and Tom Wilson too much money and too many years on his contract
I would've definitely taken Maroon 1 year at 1.75 and and Grabner at 3 years 3.75 any day before i signed a third line LW at 5 years 7 million per.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stupid Rags and Isles beat San Jose and we get blasted by them. WTF? Devils beat the Caps 6-0 WTF?