• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

#1 Chicago vs #7 Detroit Series Thread

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
One of the things that get me riled is that the NBCSN allows Enzo the freedom to say some of the crap that he does. That comment that "the Red Wings are the team that gets away with that kind of interference all the time. They are the biggest abuser of that particular rule". Now for a guy that is regularly locked in to his Hawks team's play, how can he believe something like that, let alone say it, when most of us have watch more Wings games in a month than he's watched all season long? Now, if we do that even more regularly than most teams, I certainly would have noticed that type of advantage that we "were getting away with that isn't being called", but what I normally see is that, for some reason, the Wings seem to be more scrutinized on calls that other teams when the same actions take place. Yesterday, for example, Smith cuts in front of the Chicago player (which is not a penalty in itself to do; it happens constantly in the NHL hardly EVER without a call) behind our net and immediately pursues the play to provide support, which was right in front of him. He didn't slow down to prevent the pursuer to be hampered to "catch up" to the puck-carrier, which would have been a part of the premise of that call. In the judgment of ANY official, that player had not been interfered with and, besides, he didn't have a chance in hell to catch him anyhow. I want anyone to tell me the "last time" and also "how often" that a situation like that was called in this league? The Sharks get away with that very thing quite often (maybe Enzo had a brain typo on that one); they did it with abandon in our series with them last year's playoff. Was there a call, even on the obvious ones then? Nope, not once. But, for thais one last night, where even the thought of a call was quite a stretch. And, when is the last time that a crosscheck from behind to a player who, as a result, goes head first into the boards ever let go and not called? Never! I have yet to see that not called this season in these playoffs. So, then, why all of the sudden was that a "legal" check. Seems to me that that was a bit more obvious of a penalty than what Smith did, wouldn't you say? And, how about Cleary's getting pushed so hard that he took the net off it's mooring all the way to the boards, when the play was way over on the side boards? Now, how can both officials have been watching the puck being played on the boards? Both of these guys assigned to this game each are suffering from a lack of peripheral vision? But, as Enzo puts things, "the Red Wings seem to get away with non-calls that other teams don't benefit from". How do they cointinue to let this guy broadcast games? He was a "great" player? Okay, but where is his plaque in the Hall up in TO?

cju84

Logic Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wings are playing out of their minds right now. They look so much faster than the Hawks team, who are one of the fastest teams in the league. Detroit was overlooked by the Ducks and I think the Hawks did the same thing. Good to see that Detroit is doing it with such young talent (aside from Zetter and Datsyuk).

Game 2, Hawks looked like they partied til 5am the night before, just flat out got outskated and hit. Last night's game was much better for Chicago and could have gone either way (3 post shots).

All I know is that Jimmy Howard has been an absolute beast.

Hawks better win game four or I'm thinking this series is over..

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
you guys should go participate in the conversation about Roy. Someone brought up Lemieux...I cant stand that guy.

Do you mean the "statue of liberty" man? "Oops, how did I let that one get by me"? Yep, sometimes arrogance comes back to bite you in the ass!

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Wings are playing out of their minds right now. They look so much faster than the Hawks team, who are one of the fastest teams in the league. Detroit was overlooked by the Ducks and I think the Hawks did the same thing. Good to see that Detroit is doing it with such young talent (aside from Zetter and Datsyuk).

Game 2, Hawks looked like they partied til 5am the night before, just flat out got outskated and hit. Last night's game was much better for Chicago and could have gone either way (3 post shots).

All I know is that Jimmy Howard has been an absolute beast.

Hawks better win game four or I'm thinking this series is over..

Jimmy has been the best netminder in the entire playoffs thus far, but, as you alluded to, his best friend (the post/cross bar) have been a big part of his success. I've lost count how many of those "pings" he has benefitted from. I know that it's been quite a few at this point.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
If you saw the postgame interview, he couldn't wait for that loaded question from one of the Chicago press corps (hmm..., I wonder if one of his staff asked for that question to be asked) about whether he thought that that no goal call should have been made. Was his answer a surprise to anyone? But, notice how a big fine from the league was avoided by it being the answer to a question, as opposed to him bringing it up as a comment himself, where he would have certainly been susceptible to a chastising and fine by the league. Hey Qtears; you were really slick on that one! Maybe we should now refer to you as Qslick'n-tears.

cju84

Logic Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jimmy has been the best netminder in the entire playoffs thus far, but, as you alluded to, his best friend (the post/cross bar) have been a big part of his success. I've lost count how many of those "pings" he has benefitted from. I know that it's been quite a few at this point.

Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good :rollseyes:

What sucks for us is that he's been lucky AND good..

Winged_Wheel88

ND 14 UM 45
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Datsyuk's early years were so fucking cool...remember how we'd visit an arena whose fans hadn't seen Datsyuk before? He'd make some move and they'd all let out an involuntary "OHHH".

higgyfan4

Bossman you'll be missed
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This one's better, LOL. I cracked up.

My boss in the next office probably thinks I'm crazy, although I'm pretty sure he knew that anyway...

Y! SPORTS

Love the parting line:

Anyway. Join us tomorrow when Healy says Zdeno Chara may not have a lot of natural height...

:lol:

higgyfan4

Bossman you'll be missed
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cracks me up when all these analysts and so called experts always bring up regular season records and stats.

One day they might realize none of those matter once the playoffs start. Teams prove that each and every year, yet they keep doing it. :gaah:

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good :rollseyes:

What sucks for us is that he's been lucky AND good..

That's what has been attached to every "great" backstopper's resume - lucky and good. Jimmy is far from that great label, for it takes a career to make any kind of judgment like that, but, so far, the lucky and good label sure makes the appearance of great for the moment.
The problem as I see it for the Hawks as far as what Crawford showed in the regular season and in the first round of their series, is that his backend guys could be regularly found in his crease area to either clear out bodies or loose pucks, and the forwards were in open areas in the defensive zone, so that they could make easy transitions out of the zone, while maintaining puck-possession at the same time. I'm not seeing that with them as consistently as they do generally do with regularity, which is a major piece in why they have been so good for so long in their own zone. And, to go further with this clearing the zone issue that the Hawks seem to be having, if I can recollect correctly from all the Chicago games I've seen in the last few seasons - they only seem to make outlet stretch passes off the boards or the glass, (which they seem to do quite well) or through a seam, where only one player is defending that vicinity where they intend to pass the puck; otherwise, they tend to always make the short pass sequences out of the zone, as well as through the neutral zone. In the last two games, however, they have gone the road of being far too impatient, wanting to make things happen right away into the neutral zone, and that hasn't seemed to have been successful, mainly because the Wings have put a better forecheck scheme together with 2 men in deep and 1 player as a roamer inside a bit deeper than the blue line, and the other two defending the neutral zone closer to the middle than they usually do, choosing to leave the outside spacings vacant.
To counter, if the Hawks would, instead make the short pass to a winger or centerman closer to the middle in their zone, then to an outlet player heading up the middle, then jumping to the outside (especially utilizing the foot speed they possess), and another guy wider on the outside, they would do a much better job of opening up the middle of the ice, for much better options, which would tend to give them back control of the neutral zone, which is a necessary and sufficient condition for them to be successful in the puck-possession game.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Part of me used to think that CBC told Healy to be the "angry volatile analyst" as part of his schtick on HNIC. However, the more I listen to what he has to say, I'm convinced that he truly is a moron.

higgyfan4

Bossman you'll be missed
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Part of me used to think that CBC told Healy to be the "angry volatile analyst" as part of his schtick on HNIC. However, the more I listen to what he has to say, I'm convinced that he truly is a moron.

I think NBC told Milbury the same thing.

cju84

Logic Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's what has been attached to every "great" backstopper's resume - lucky and good. Jimmy is far from that great label, for it takes a career to make any kind of judgment like that, but, so far, the lucky and good label sure makes the appearance of great for the moment.
The problem as I see it for the Hawks as far as what Crawford showed in the regular season and in the first round of their series, is that his backend guys could be regularly found in his crease area to either clear out bodies or loose pucks, and the forwards were in open areas in the defensive zone, so that they could make easy transitions out of the zone, while maintaining puck-possession at the same time. I'm not seeing that with them as consistently as they do generally do with regularity, which is a major piece in why they have been so good for so long in their own zone. And, to go further with this clearing the zone issue that the Hawks seem to be having, if I can recollect correctly from all the Chicago games I've seen in the last few seasons - they only seem to make outlet stretch passes off the boards or the glass, (which they seem to do quite well) or through a seam, where only one player is defending that vicinity where they intend to pass the puck; otherwise, they tend to always make the short pass sequences out of the zone, as well as through the neutral zone. In the last two games, however, they have gone the road of being far too impatient, wanting to make things happen right away into the neutral zone, and that hasn't seemed to have been successful, mainly because the Wings have put a better forecheck scheme together with 2 men in deep and 1 player as a roamer inside a bit deeper than the blue line, and the other two defending the neutral zone closer to the middle than they usually do, choosing to leave the outside spacings vacant.
To counter, if the Hawks would, instead make the short pass to a winger or centerman closer to the middle in their zone, then to an outlet player heading up the middle, then jumping to the outside (especially utilizing the foot speed they possess), and another guy wider on the outside, they would do a much better job of opening up the middle of the ice, for much better options, which would tend to give them back control of the neutral zone, which is a necessary and sufficient condition for them to be successful in the puck-possession game.

Agree with everything you said. To summarize, "The Wings have made adjustments after Game 1, Chicago has not."

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Red wings looking real good....im still scared everytime our defenders retreat in defense......i for one wouldnt mind seeing tootoo in the game after watching chicago "goon" it up towards the end. But im all for the team, and winning is WAY more important.

No matter what the wings have made us proud....we are HOCKEYTOWN......even tho chicago tries to copy us with "hawkeytown".........come up with your own shit!

Go wings!

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

(sarcasm there because Toews has been playing well, but still... that's some pretty shitty production... is he getting any heat for it around Chicago? just curious...)

Last edited by a moderator: