• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

MLB Daily Thread: 08-22-16: Wildcard/Division Races heating up

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
most people I know get excited about the WC races yet are the first to condemn Selig as a Commissioner

go figger

My only issue w/ Selig was when he messed up the AS Game. That game should be a celebration of the league's talent & shouldn't give WS home field advantage to the winner.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And he supposedly let players run wild with PEDs. Until congress got involved.

Well, ultimately, he answers to the owners and steroid use benefited the owners, particularly after the strike.

Also, I don't see how you could blame the commissioner for that.

Honestly, I think the body that most shirked its duty as it relates to steroids was the Player's Union. A union, in theory, is supposed to offer its members a safe and fair environment in which to work. Turning it's back on PED usage created a working environment that was neither.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My only issue w/ Selig was when he messed up the AS Game. That game should be a celebration of the league's talent & shouldn't give WS home field advantage to the winner.

I agree, that's a clunker, but ultimately I don't think it's that big of a deal. Previously, it was just alternating, right? Is that significantly more fair? I don't think so.

I wish they'd base WS homefield advantage on the combined inter-league records between the AL and NL teams.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Nats have found a way to lose to vastly inferior teams the last 2 times they made the post season.
:nono: :tsk::hellno:

2012 is totally unusable for anything. Strasburg shut down but Cards also won Game 2 and Game 3 in that series by 8 runs and then obviously had that crazy comeback in Game 5. Nats won their 2 games by 1 run in both. It would've been far more of a fluke for the Nationals to win it given that Strasburg was shut down.

2014 they were right there with the Giants who won it all and the Giants were just a little bit better.

Nationals are a real contender this year.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, agree with this. I give Selig a B+ overall. The home-field advantage dealie remains a 'tarded idea but I think he did a pretty solid job.

Not sure how much blame or credit he deserves for the Steroid Era; I think mostly he just sat back and kept his mouth shut until he had no choice but to over-react. More like a sin of omission rather than nefarious plotting

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, that's a clunker, but ultimately I don't think it's that big of a deal. Previously, it was just alternating, right? Is that significantly more fair? I don't think so.

I wish they'd base WS homefield advantage on the combined inter-league records between the AL and NL teams.

I guess I'm just old school. I just liked the previous format better. Ever since the change (around '05 I think?) I have viewed the Midsummer Classic as more of a real game than a celebration of the league's talent. Interesting idea about using inter-league records though.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, agree with this. I give Selig a B+ overall. The home-field advantage dealie remains a 'tarded idea but I think he did a pretty solid job.

Not sure how much blame or credit he deserves for the Steroid Era; I think mostly he just sat back and kept his mouth shut until he had no choice but to over-react. More like a sin of omission rather than nefarious plotting

Is Selig the only MLB commish that owned a team before getting the job? Always that that was kinda weird.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is Selig the only MLB commish that owned a team before getting the job? Always that that was kinda weird.

I believe so.

He was first a temporary commish and then they made him FT. So he had to put all his MLB related assets into some kind of trust.

Eventually he just sold them off because he ended up staying commish longer than I think even he intended to.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Edited: The Q said everything I was going to say.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe so.

He was first a temporary commish and then they made him FT. So he had to put all his MLB related assets into some kind of trust.

Eventually he just sold them off because he ended up staying commish longer than I think even he intended to.

Didn't he sell the team to his daughter or something like that?

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Edited: The Q said everything I was going to say.

I wrote a legal journal article (with one of my former professors) about conflict of interest in MLB. Selig was one of the guys that we researched and wrote about.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't he sell the team to his daughter or something like that?

She was in charge for sure. Which obviously looks pretty shammy.

EVentually they just sold it off to make it easy.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's what I thought. Something just seemed odd when that happened.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, I don't recall too many people who thought he wasn't still involved somehow in running the team, even if he wasn't. Just not a good appearance

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking of quarters...is it football time yet? Dammit it seems like August just keeps dragging on.

It's baseball season from February 1 of the season until January 31st of the next year.