• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

“Put a Bear And An Unarmed Cowboy Into A Pit - Know What Would Happen?”

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wild story. Always fascinating to hear the side of survivors.

He won't work in the bush anymore.

And the kid who was with him at the time (a summer student working for school money) has PTSD from the event.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He won't work in the bush anymore.

And the kid who was with him at the time (a summer student working for school money) has PTSD from the event.
Seeing your buddy get ragdolled by a bear and knowing that at best you have to carry his body for a rescue and at worst you are the second course...yeah I'd have PTSD also.

VikingFan2k2

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TNF previews....

V27fC1.gif

giphy.gif

Cowboys fans celebrating if they win:

waDymzU.gif

cowboycolors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And that is why you carry a 45/70 rifle guide gun with hot loads when your in the bush. With that at least you might have a chance. My friend lived in Alaska for 5 years in the boonies he would not go out the door for anything without that rifle. Never had to use it on a Bear but did use it on a lynx trying to to get into the Chicken coop.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First things first, where are we going to find an unarmed Cowboy player?:peep:

VikingFan2k2

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Grizzlies are scary af.

Most black bears are like big, dumb dogs.

I've been telling my friends this for years, my 95 pound grandma (RIP) used to shoo them off of her cabin porch with a broom.

Grizzlies will eat you alive, Black Bears are complete wimps.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been telling my friends this for years, my 95 pound grandma (RIP) used to shoo them off of her cabin porch with a broom.

Grizzlies will eat you alive, Black Bears are complete wimps.

The big black bruin that suddenly stood up from the ferns in my back yard unannounced scared the living shit out of me, wimp or not. And the momma bear that literally scampered up a 70' maple almost as fast as I could fall out of the tree told me don't climb a tree to try to get away from them.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The big black bruin that suddenly stood up from the ferns in my back yard unannounced scared the living shit out of me, wimp or not. And the momma bear that literally scampered up a 70' maple almost as fast as I could fall out of the tree told me don't climb a tree to try to get away from them.

A full-grown black bear or a sow with cubs are still scary and dangerous af.

But they are completely different than a grizzly. You can haze a black bear off. You cannot do that with a Grizzly. In fact, if you do, you are dead af.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A full-grown black bear or a sow with cubs are still scary and dangerous af.

But they are completely different than a grizzly. You can haze a black bear off. You cannot do that with a Grizzly. In fact, if you do, you are dead af.

The sow who climbed the maple in my yard had her cubs stashed in the top branches. But she went up in 4 wheel drive like it was flat...

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The sow who climbed the maple in my yard had her cubs stashed in the top branches. But she went up in 4 wheel drive like it was flat...

Oh, no doubt. Excellent tree-climbers. 40 feet in a few seconds.

Don't get me wrong, black bears are plenty dangerous. In a way, they are MORE dangerous due to their curiosity. You are much more likely to encounter a black bear than a Grizzly. They are MUCH more likely to wander into a campground or into town, (or into my backyard!:eek:) than a Grizzly.

I've encountered both many times. The best defense you have against them is knowledge. Proper identification is BY FAR your best asset against em', as their behavioral patterns are much different. What you should do with a black bear, will get your ass killed with a grizzly.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I should add, that proper identification is not always as easy as it seems.

The most common mistake people make is going by their fur color. A black bear can look brown and vice a versa. Ears, snout and back hump are your best identifiers.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yogy bears will kill you and steal your picnic basket. I suggest grilling out if your in a national park.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've encountered both many times. The best defense you have against them is knowledge. Proper identification is BY FAR your best asset against em', as their behavioral patterns are much different. What you should do with a black bear, will get your ass killed with a grizzly.
Where do you live that you see so many Bears and is this why you are a Bear fan?

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I should add, that proper identification is not always as easy as it seems.

The most common mistake people make is going by their fur color. A black bear can look brown and vice a versa. Ears, snout and back hump are your best identifiers.

I had a friend that was out in the woods to get firewood. It was hunting season and he had his license and his rifle. He was out of his truck scanning for good firewood when he saw a bear from the bank of the road, down the hill. Close enough for a easy shot. Sweet he thought. Got his rifle took aim and shot the bear. Bear staggered then whirled around and went up that hill like he was shot out of a cannon. He fired a couple of more times and then realized the bear was going to be on him momentarily, so he went for the truck. He was so shook up he was fumbling opening the door when the bear came up over the bank at him. Said he was never more scared in his life. The bear collapsed once he was on the road from his wounds. My friend lost all interest in hunting bear after that. Takes a well placed shot to down a bear quickly and they can sustain a lot of injury and keep going. Just hurting them simply makes them ferocious and deadly. IDK what kind of bear that was, most likely just a black bear as they are way more common in North Idaho.

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where do you live that you see so many Bears and is this why you are a Bear fan?

We have plenty of the big old fellas here where I live. We are just in the foothills of the Canadian Rockies in Alberta, Canada. The picture below is from my cousin's trail cam on their farm. Their farm is only about 20 minutes drive to my own family's original homestead. His trail cam caught these two grizzlies, but it also caught some big cats, a whole bunch of black bears and a few wolves. We have no shortage of critters around here.

44898614_2067881766566904_5087045787498577920_n.jpg

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, no doubt. Excellent tree-climbers. 40 feet in a few seconds.

Don't get me wrong, black bears are plenty dangerous. In a way, they are MORE dangerous due to their curiosity. You are much more likely to encounter a black bear than a Grizzly. They are MUCH more likely to wander into a campground or into town, (or into my backyard!:eek:) than a Grizzly.

Why stop here? :gaah:

Was just getting good. What should you do?