• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

’99 - ’03 7.3l Ford Powerstroke Diesel

SwampHumpy

Touching my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,750.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m in the market for a used work truck, F450 / F350 class. I’ve been a Ford guy when it comes to work trucks for a long time, and know that there’s cult following of the 7.3 liter motor that was only on the road from 1999 thru the first part of 2003. Aparently the 6.0 liter motor that came afterwards was shit and had a lot of problems. I’ve been following several of the 7.3s for sale in that timeframe and they hold their value very well.

I’m looking for some advice / first hand experience: What issues have you had with the 7.3 that may be overlooked by most fans? My application will be a construction / landscape construction vehicle and will therefore be required to haul significant loads, trailer heavy equipment, etc. Any transmission issues with Ford in that timeframe? Basically any insight that you guys might have would be appreciated; specifically things to look for when test driving, etc.

Thanks! :suds:

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m in the market for a used work truck, F450 / F350 class. I’ve been a Ford guy when it comes to work trucks for a long time, and know that there’s cult following of the 7.3 liter motor that was only on the road from 1999 thru the first part of 2003

I’m looking for some advice / first hand experience: What issues have you had with the 7.3 that may be overlooked by most fans? My application will be a construction / landscape construction vehicle and will therefore be required to haul significant loads, trailer heavy equipment, etc. Any transmission issues with Ford in that timeframe? Basically any insight that you guys might have would be appreciated; specifically things to look for when test driving, etc.

Thanks! :suds:

The 7.3 was around before 1999.
I remember it way back in 1994.

They are great engines.
Those mid-90's Ford F-250s are great trucks.

Honestly... for your application... it would be fine.
I know lots of people that have/had them... they keep on rolling.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even though... I will never buy another Dodge... that mid-90's Cummins 5.9 was a great engine.

SwampHumpy

Touching my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,750.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even though... I will never buy another Dodge... that mid-90's Cummins 5.9 was a great engine.

That was going to be my other question, what about other brands? I’m curious abut the Dodge’s and Chevy’s too for that matter. In my area however, the Ford’s outnumber Dodge & Chevy combined at least 5 - 1. It’s rare to see a work truck that’s not a Ford. I’m assuming it’s because they are reliable, but I’m sure there are others that work well too. I’ve heard some good things about the Cummings engine.

What negative things did you experience with Dodge since you seem to be sour on them?

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was going to be my other question, what about other brands? I’m curious abut the Dodge’s and Chevy’s too for that matter. In my area however, the Ford’s outnumber Dodge & Chevy combined at least 5 - 1. It’s rare to see a work truck that’s not a Ford. I’m assuming it’s because they are reliable, but I’m sure there are others that work well too. I’ve heard some good things about the Cummings engine.

What negative things did you experience with Dodge since you seem to be sour on them?

I just sold my mid-90's Dakota (over 275,000 miles).

The 3.7 engine (6 cylinder) is a great engine... but... the ergonomics, cabin, lighting, brakes, water pumps, ignition, starters, electronics were an issue.

It was an old school truck with a good engine.

The newer re-design helped... but.... I am out of the loop with new trucks.

I would trust Ford F-250s or F-350s, Chevy 25s and 35s, and Dodge Cummins... but... the suburban truck models (shiny, gimmicky, bells and whistles) ... I'd avoid.

SwampHumpy

Touching my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,750.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
an F450 is a serious bit of equipment.
how much weight are you going to be hauling/towing??

SwampHumpy

Touching my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,750.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
an F450 is a serious bit of equipment.
how much weight are you going to be hauling/towing??

Mid sized Bobcat loader w/trailer ( approx 6-7k lbs ). Palletized material like sod, mulch, etc. Probably averaging a ton per pallet. Usually hauling 2 pallets per trip.

Brocktagon

the handsome super genius
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
here's my direct experience with diesel motors

ford's 7.3 is a beast. however, the turbo setups are not great.

cummings is your best bet with a 6 speed manual (if you can find one). i have zero faith in the automatics.

duramax engines are quiet. that's everyone's pet peave about them. buddy of mine has 150k on his, never replaced anything. he does burnouts all the time and beats it when he wants. injectors, torque converter and a shit ton of good programming, he can troll around town with 30+mpg or he can romp on it and get 500hp.

winner - duramax

(and i'm not a huge chevy fan)

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mid sized Bobcat loader w/trailer ( approx 6-7k lbs ). Palletized material like sod, mulch, etc. Probably averaging a ton per pallet. Usually hauling 2 pallets per trip.

F450 is overkill then.
F350 is probably overkill
F250 just might do what you want.

don't listen to that duramax crap.
when you need big jobs done, then it's Ford.
:suds:

JohnRandle

Gold Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,356.27
Fav. Team #1
In my experience, Chevy {Duramax} and Dodge's motors are about as good as the 7.3 Powerstroke, but the rest of the truck doesn't hold up. Whether it be rear ends, tranny, rust, suspension etc...the Fords just seem to have less problems in the 3/4 ton and above work trucks.

I had a '99 7.3 F-350 that pulled a skidloader every day. I had 279,000 on it by the time I traded it, the only thing I put in was a front pump on the tranny. The 6.0 was a different story, had 2 of those and put a lot a money into them. I would still buy one, but would plan on putting about $4500 into a Bulletproof kit. Then they're, well...bulletproof..lol

And you can not go overkill on a truck that will be pulling equipment, if you can find the F-450 for a good price, buy it. You'll save on insurance and tabs. I drive an F-550 these days, and it can handle soo much more than the 350's.

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's an F-650 now?? Holy crap!

F650_Supertruck_4x4_by_Supertruck.jpg

SwampHumpy

Touching my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,750.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In my experience, Chevy {Duramax} and Dodge's motors are about as good as the 7.3 Powerstroke, but the rest of the truck doesn't hold up. Whether it be rear ends, tranny, rust, suspension etc...the Fords just seem to have less problems in the 3/4 ton and above work trucks.

I had a '99 7.3 F-350 that pulled a skidloader every day. I had 279,000 on it by the time I traded it, the only thing I put in was a front pump on the tranny. The 6.0 was a different story, had 2 of those and put a lot a money into them. I would still buy one, but would plan on putting about $4500 into a Bulletproof kit. Then they're, well...bulletproof..lol

And you can not go overkill on a truck that will be pulling equipment, if you can find the F-450 for a good price, buy it. You'll save on insurance and tabs. I drive an F-550 these days, and it can handle soo much more than the 350's.

Thanks for the input. 279k is good life, and it sounds as if you’d do it again based on your experience. I agree that owning the larger 450 is better in the long run. I know the 250 would pull the skid steer, but day after day, mile after mile this takes a bigger toll than what it does to a 450.